cant find folders in network folder

I'm having endless issues here and am really really trying very hard with google and forum searches but it seems it can be too many issues.

I actually reinstalled unraid and set up the array again (kept the data).  I can not for the life of me find my "home network" folder or anything from tower in file explorer.  I have windows 10 education.

ODDLY enough my laptop which was able to find it and pin it earlier it can find the damn folder... I just type \\tower.  The desktop nothing.... it says "windows cannot access \\tower."  "Chekc the spelling of the name.  Otherwise...."

Can anyone help me I am really struggling and can't figure out what the hell is going on with my network. 

35 minutes ago, zmanfarlee said:

I'm having endless issues here and am really really trying very hard with google and forum searches but it seems it can be too many issues.

I actually reinstalled unraid and set up the array again (kept the data).  I can not for the life of me find my "home network" folder or anything from tower in file explorer.  I have windows 10 education.

ODDLY enough my laptop which was able to find it and pin it earlier it can find the damn folder... I just type \\tower.  The desktop nothing.... it says "windows cannot access \\tower."  "Chekc the spelling of the name.  Otherwise...."

Can anyone help me I am really struggling and can't figure out what the hell is going on with my network. 

Windows 10 networking has lots of issues.  There are many reports very similar to yours in these forums.

Even with these issues, you should always be able to access your server in Windows Explorer by IP address.  Try that just to make sure it works as expected.

Below is a thread on some potential solutions for finding your tower by name. Page 2 will probably be most relevant to your situation.  Lately, there have been lots of SMB, homegroup and other networking related changes in Windows 10 that are playing havoc with the ability to see unRAID shares from a Windows 10 machine.  In my case, enabling SMB 1.0/CiFS server was all it took.  Others have added their unRAID server to the hosts file in Windows and there are other solutions mentioned.

6 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Windows 10 networking has lots of issues.  There are many reports very similar to yours in these forums.

Even with these issues, you should always be able to access your server in Windows Explorer by IP address.  Try that just to make sure it works as expected.

Below is a thread on some potential solutions for finding your tower by name. Page 2 will probably be most relevant to your situation.  Lately, there have been lots of SMB, homegroup and other networking related changes in Windows 10 that are playing havoc with the ability to see unRAID shares from a Windows 10 machine.  In my case, enabling SMB 1.0/CiFS server was all it took.  Others have added their unRAID server to the hosts file in Windows and there are other solutions mentioned.

Thank you for coming on here and helping.  To clarify when you say windows explorer you mean file explorer?  Or did you mean being able to go to the Tower menu?  which I can do just fine via ip or //tower.  Did you mean the files or the menu? I will also read through the post you mentioned which I looked through before but I didn't think I had a login failure.

Edited by zmanfarlee
3 hours ago, zmanfarlee said:

Thank you for coming on here and helping.  To clarify when you say windows explorer you mean file explorer?  Or did you mean being able to go to the Tower menu?  which I can do just fine via ip or //tower.  Did you mean the files or the menu? I will also read through the post you mentioned which I looked through before but I didn't think I had a login failure.

Yes, File Explorer in Windows.

I directed you to page two of that thread because it talks more about Windows networking issues and not just login/authentication issues.  I don't don't think login issues are your problem.

And here is another thread you may find useful:

Edited by Hoopster
2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

I directed you to page two of that thread because it talks more about Windows networking issues and not just login/authentication issues.  I don't don't think login issues are your problem.

Thanks I should have some time to try tonight.  I know it will be worth it in the end it's just a big learning curve but at least it's valuable info.

On 8/21/2018 at 10:28 AM, Hoopster said:

Ok I tried some things but I have not solved the problem yet, BUT.... I think I am close.  On my laptop I can now enter the ip address or type \\tower and pull up the files in the file explorer but I can't on my desktop.  I used to not be able to do this even on my laptop (I used a saved pinned access) but now I can.  I think the issue is I am using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N99BBC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Between my unraid server and desktop and I am thinking the desktop is having an issue because of this.....  Am I crazy?  Am I right?

Any ideas after hearing that?  ANY HELP is always greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

An unmanaged switch shouldn't cause any problems. I have 2 of them in my LAN.

Do you have Dynamix Local Master plugin installed on unRAID?

Yeah I see Yoda :).

Isn't the Eth0 not having an ip an issue?  I thought I was on to soemthing cause I can type in the ip on my laptop but not my desktop... :( 

Try this:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/73570-unable-to-find-server-on-network/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-677859

Make sure that you  also check the  SMB  1.0/CIFS Server  box checked.  

Win10 is a mess to troubleshoot when it has SMB problems because there are so many Varieties and Versions of it out there and all of them have their own little quirks...

18 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Try this:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/73570-unable-to-find-server-on-network/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-677859

Win10 is a mess to troubleshoot when it has SMB problems because there are so many Varieties and Versions of it out there and all of them have their own little quirks...

Did this.  Shoot.  Ill try to troubleshoot this weekend

20 hours ago, trurl said:

Check back at that other thread mentioned above. A solution was found for their problem.

18 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Try this:

On 8/21/2018 at 10:28 AM, Hoopster said:

This is what finally fixed it!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019

Now I can access it.  Thank you all so much.  It looks like it may leave me less protected but it is the only option it seems.  If you think what I did was wrong and unsafe please let me know.  Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 3:00 PM, jonathanm said:

<smart alec mode>

What, using windows? Yes, using Microsoft Windows is definitely wrong and unsafe.

</smart alec mode>

If it's the only option you have, then you do you what you have to do to make it work.

LOL... I'll take the wins where I can.  I have been on a streak with Sabnzbd and Sonarr so I am starting to get excited as I am getting closer to where I want to be.

• 11 months later...

Just a quick note that there is anther solution to this problem without enabling SMB1. Microsoft has replaced SMB with "Function Discovery" (in a manner of speaking) and there is a daemon / script that enables that for Linux.

I have "Instructions" in the thread here:

forums.unraid.net/topic/82765-solved-windows-network-working-with-no-smb1/ 

Kevin