How do i copy ISO files to ISOs Share from windows

Bytales

This is something nobody explained anywhere, as it seems it is taken for granted. But ive reached the point where i need to load in the VM the ISO from the ISOs share, however the ISOs share is empty, no ISOs there.

Can anyone please explain to me how do i acces my share from a windows PC ?

Ive seen people map drives to the share location, but for me it doesnt work.

The Network ip of the tower is 192.168.2.110

When trying to map network drive to ip it doesnt work

\\192.168.2.110\ISOs 

doesnt work

\\tower\ISOs

asks me for username and password, 

but entering root and the correct password, doesnt work either.

What the hell am i doing wrong, this is is getting ridiculous !

Nobody ever thought to make a simple tutorial how to be able to acces the damn share from another computer on the network ?

Edited by Bytales
4 hours ago, Bytales said:

What the hell am i doing wrong,

Enabling Help on the ISO share's config page tells you what is going on.

By default, the ISO share's SMB Export setting is set to No.  This means that even if you know the share name, you cannot map it (this is what is happening in your case).  If you set it to Yes (hidden), it will not show up automatically when you browse to the server in the Windows Network, but, you can map it since you know the share name.  If you set it to Yes, the ISO share will show up automatically when you browse to the server

As johnnie.black said, you need to set it to one of the "yes" options.

image.thumb.png.03c9e466632a75016a202f59018ba2f0.png

• 9 months later...
On 9/25/2018 at 9:10 PM, Hoopster said:

Enabling Help on the ISO share's config page tells you what is going on.

By default, the ISO share's SMB Export setting is set to No.  This means that even if you know the share name, you cannot map it (this is what is happening in your case).  If you set it to Yes (hidden), it will not show up automatically when you browse to the server in the Windows Network, but, you can map it since you know the share name.  If you set it to Yes, the ISO share will show up automatically when you browse to the server

As johnnie.black said, you need to set it to one of the "yes" options. 

I have followed these instructions and I still am having issues connecting to the share via Network explorer in win 10. Iv previously been able to connect to SMB shares on a FREENAS 11.2 server. Any ideas? I also noticed in the shares section under the SMB column there is simply a dash "-". Refer to image.

SMB.png

It will look something like this when you have things correctly set up:

image.thumb.png.386825218988fbdbfb7aefb2ee41af10.png

In this case, I am exporting two shares (Backup and Media) via SMB and both of the shares have the security set to Secure (which means anyone can read but only specific users have write privileges).  One of these shares (Media) is also being exported using NFS.   

This is the setup screen for the SMB share of the Media share:

198253827_Annotation2019-07-08123518.jpg.13d1333e8919d5f2e26ab9260537cd36.jpg

(I have all of my shares setup so that Ransomware can't not have read/write access to the share!!!)  

On 7/8/2019 at 12:39 PM, Frank1940 said:

It will look something like this when you have things correctly set up:

image.thumb.png.386825218988fbdbfb7aefb2ee41af10.png

In this case, I am exporting two shares (Backup and Media) via SMB and both of the shares have the security set to Secure (which means anyone can read but only specific users have write privileges).  One of these shares (Media) is also being exported using NFS.   

This is the setup screen for the SMB share of the Media share:

198253827_Annotation2019-07-08123518.jpg.13d1333e8919d5f2e26ab9260537cd36.jpg

(I have all of my shares setup so that Ransomware can't not have read/write access to the share!!!)  

On 7/8/2019 at 12:43 PM, Frank1940 said:

You also have to turn on SMB---       Settings  >>>   SMB   >>>  SMB Settings

image.thumb.png.95672fdd4251b8451ac6996a9133d6d4.png

I have already completed both of these tasks before asking for assistance. this is the reason why i am stuck. Screen cap to show the settings

smb 3.png

smb 2.png

Edited by QAZT
Im a dummy
7 hours ago, QAZT said:

Sooo.... Reason it didnt work. I had not changed SMB SETTING "Yes" to workgroup. I had it set as an active directory and that wouldnt work...

As I understand it, Unraid has some Active Directory functionality built into it but it can not serve as a Domain Server.  You have to have a server that is running one of MS Windows Server Operating Systems set up to serve as the Domain Server.  Then you can have your Unraid server join to it.  See here for some more information on this: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Directory

and

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/12236-help-joining-active-directory/

Edited by Frank1940
  • 10 months later...

I'm trying to build a remote gaming server using unraid based on this thread:

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-remote-gaming-on-unraid/4248/8

And I'm stuck too trying to transfer ISOs to unraid in order to install windows on VM.

7. Configure and Install the VM
 1. Download and transfer the software to the Unraid server. (click me)
    1. Download a Windows 10 ISO 18 from the official Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.
    2. Transfer the Windows 10 ISO to your isos share on Unraid.

I stuck here for days and can't find anywhere a explain how to trasnfer ISO to iso share on unraid. And before this step there is another step in which I need to transfer a GPU bios to unraid which I can't do it neither.

18 minutes ago, kiss4luna said:

how to trasnfer ISO to iso share

Unclear what you don't understand.

Unraid is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) that can host VMs. As a NAS, you can access it from other computers on your network and transfer files to it. There is a share (a folder available on the network) on Unraid named 'isos' and you copy the ISO to that folder in the way you usually copy files over the network.

All I have said may seem obvious to you, it certainly seems obvious to me. If you already know all that and it doesn't help, see if you can take it from there and explain exactly what part of that you are having problems with and what exactly the problem is.

13 hours ago, trurl said:

Unclear what you don't understand.

Unraid is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) that can host VMs. As a NAS, you can access it from other computers on your network and transfer files to it. There is a share (a folder available on the network) on Unraid named 'isos' and you copy the ISO to that folder in the way you usually copy files over the network.

All I have said may seem obvious to you, it certainly seems obvious to me. If you already know all that and it doesn't help, see if you can take it from there and explain exactly what part of that you are having problems with and what exactly the problem is.

Hi trurl!

Thanks for reply. 

I can't access the unraid shared folders or disks or anything. I don't know why. I can access another shared folders on my other pc and the unraid setup page. I don't know what happened or if there is anything I may have done wrong.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...