[PLUGIN] Disk Location

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ddaudio said:

I may be overlooking something but I am not seeing any tabs other than 'Devices' and 'information' I can no longer configure or change any data. The below screen grab shows only the two tabs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.a17dac04519c3be60f485e56d3ae4594.png

Hard to say, which versions of things are you running? And anything special in system/php log files?

Edited by FlamongOle

I just installed this plugin for the first time.

It finds my 5 Nvme drives. But my 3 SATA SSDs are missing in action. And it seems to add a 6th "ghost" Nvme.

When I run "Force Update All" I get the following:

disclocation.png.c5332ec7ef2972f45b55f5edc20c94f8.png

So a few things:

1: sg0 doesn't exist in reality. There is no such thing. Yet it shows as ACTIVE? And to top it off, it shows as an Nvme?

2: sg0, sg1, sg2, sg3 all have the same ID? What is that ID btw? (1b7852b855)?

3: sg1, sg2, sg3 show up as UNKNOWN?

4: sg1, sg2, sg3 are the ones that does exist in reality. They're all SATA SSDs connected directly to my motherboard SATA ports. No extra controller or anything.

They're all Samsung_SSD_870_EVOs.

2 of them are 2TB and connected in Unraid with "Unassigned Devices plugin"

1 is a 500GB and is connected in Unraid as a normal cache pool.

Anything I can do to troubleshoot?

Bare with me. I'm a complete noob.

1 hour ago, PeterHS said:

I just installed this plugin for the first time.

It finds my 5 Nvme drives. But my 3 SATA SSDs are missing in action. And it seems to add a 6th "ghost" Nvme.

When I run "Force Update All" I get the following:

disclocation.png.c5332ec7ef2972f45b55f5edc20c94f8.png

So a few things:

1: sg0 doesn't exist in reality. There is no such thing. Yet it shows as ACTIVE? And to top it off, it shows as an Nvme?

2: sg0, sg1, sg2, sg3 all have the same ID? What is that ID btw? (1b7852b855)?

3: sg1, sg2, sg3 show up as UNKNOWN?

4: sg1, sg2, sg3 are the ones that does exist in reality. They're all SATA SSDs connected directly to my motherboard SATA ports. No extra controller or anything.

They're all Samsung_SSD_870_EVOs.

2 of them are 2TB and connected in Unraid with "Unassigned Devices plugin"

1 is a 500GB and is connected in Unraid as a normal cache pool.

Anything I can do to troubleshoot?

Bare with me. I'm a complete noob.

I see that the "CTRL CMD" is active, but I don't really see the reason why it shouldn't just be auto detected. Per disk setting in Unraid, you might have set a "SMART controller type" manually instead of leaving it to "Automatic", maybe you must do it for a reason, but usually NVMe and SATA is auto detected. Also I think "ATA" is not really common these days anymore as SATA uses the SCSI protocol (correct me if I'm wrong)? Under "Disk Settings" (Unraid settings) you will find "Global disk settings", ensure "SMART controller type" is set as Automatic as well.

The sg0 is typically the USB drive containing Unraid OS. 

Let the OS auto detect the SMART controller type unless you must specify it to work, but I think that's more common for special RAID cards and HD enclosures etc.

I was going back to look at my disk configuration and I see that everything is clear and no drives have been defined.  

Unraid: 6.12.10

Disk Location: 2024.03.22

I can see in the plugin directory that there some backup files, is there a way to restore my previous configuration?

image.png.f8348eb38b24a3a4d50750e1c50bcae7.png

20 hours ago, mwoods98 said:

I was going back to look at my disk configuration and I see that everything is clear and no drives have been defined.  

Unraid: 6.12.10

Disk Location: 2024.03.22

I can see in the plugin directory that there some backup files, is there a way to restore my previous configuration?

image.png.f8348eb38b24a3a4d50750e1c50bcae7.png

I'm baffled that you found this out the hard way?

Try: Tools -> Disk Location -> System -> Backup -> 'click the backup' -> Restore

1 hour ago, FlamongOle said:

I'm baffled that you found this out the hard way?

Try: Tools -> Disk Location -> System -> Backup -> 'click the backup' -> Restore

Thanks for the answer and being baffled every once in a while is good for the soul 👼

• Haha 1
On 4/25/2024 at 2:42 AM, FlamongOle said:

The sg0 is typically the USB drive containing Unraid OS. 

Let the OS auto detect the SMART controller type unless you must specify it to work, but I think that's more common for special RAID cards and HD enclosures etc.

You are correct.

I have a PCIe to Nvme card for some of my drives. Because of that I had set default in Unraid to Nvme and for whatever reason the SSDs had turned into ATA. Turns out I could just force the 3 SSDs to Automatic and everything is as it should.

Thank you!

Solved!

• Upvote 1

Hello, I'm having an issue recently where I'm receiving emails from unraid with the following:

Subject: cron for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null

Body: 

corrupted size vs. prev_size

I've pinpointed down to the disklocation.sh causing this issue, however I'm not sure why it's sending these emails. Anyone know how can I debug further? I created a support thread here with diagnostics

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 4:41 PM, bobokun said:

Hello, I'm having an issue recently where I'm receiving emails from unraid with the following:

Body: 

I've pinpointed down to the disklocation.sh causing this issue, however I'm not sure why it's sending these emails. Anyone know how can I debug further? I created a support thread here with diagnostics

See next post and nevermind below.

I've seen that report from someone else "recently" and I need to get some info from you as the other one did not provide with all the information I needed.

In terminal, please do this:

php /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/cron_disklocation.php cronjob

There you should see which device(s) will post this information, it might be related to smartctl, but is something I must find out. When you see which device output the fault, please give me the output of:

smartctl -x --all --json /dev/<device>

*where <device> is the wrong device, eg. sda or nvme1n1

Please share that output to me, you might do it in PM if you don't want to reveal the serial number or other drive data if you care. No content will be revealed.

Edited by FlamongOle
On 5/2/2024 at 4:41 PM, bobokun said:

Body: 

Nevermind first post, this is likely due to a bug with smartmontools, or the compiler used for it (might be related to Unraid OS somehow)

https://github.com/smartmontools/smartmontools/issues/233

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

Looks like this is happening to two drives.

SMART: /dev/nvme0n1         ACTIVE   corrupted size vs. prev_size
(1b7852b855)  done.
SMART: /dev/nvme1n1         ACTIVE   corrupted size vs. prev_size
(1b7852b855)  done.

running the commands `smartctl -x --all --json /dev/nvme0n1` gives some interesting information, does this mean anything to you?

"smartctl": {
    "version": [
    ],
    "pre_release": false,
    "svn_revision": "5530",
    "platform_info": "x86_64-linux-6.1.79-Unraid",
    "build_info": "(local build)",
    "argv": [
      "smartctl",
      "-x",
      "--all",
      "--json",
      "/dev/nvme0n1"
    ],
    "messages": [
      {
        "string": "Read Self-test Log failed: Invalid Field in Command (0x002)",
        "severity": "error"
      }
    ],
    "exit_status": 4
  },

I found this thread , and it seems like the latest build should fix this issue. Is there any way I can install this on unraid to test? Which file should I be installing?

Edited by bobokun
3 hours ago, bobokun said:

Looks like this is happening to two drives.

SMART: /dev/nvme0n1         ACTIVE   corrupted size vs. prev_size
(1b7852b855)  done.
SMART: /dev/nvme1n1         ACTIVE   corrupted size vs. prev_size
(1b7852b855)  done.

running the commands `smartctl -x --all --json /dev/nvme0n1` gives some interesting information, does this mean anything to you?

"smartctl": {
    "version": [
    ],
    "pre_release": false,
    "svn_revision": "5530",
    "platform_info": "x86_64-linux-6.1.79-Unraid",
    "build_info": "(local build)",
    "argv": [
      "smartctl",
      "-x",
      "--all",
      "--json",
      "/dev/nvme0n1"
    ],
    "messages": [
      {
        "string": "Read Self-test Log failed: Invalid Field in Command (0x002)",
        "severity": "error"
      }
    ],
    "exit_status": 4
  },

I found this thread , and it seems like the latest build should fix this issue. Is there any way I can install this on unraid to test? Which file should I be installing?

Best is not to install anything unless you know what you're doing. It's relatively easy if the package is already built, other than that. Wait for next Unraid version that includes a newer smartmontools package. Earlier I used to include a newer version of smartmontools with Disk Location plugin, but I don't want to maintain that.

As for now, Disk Location threat both of you NVMe drives the same and cant tell a difference looking at the unique ID it has been given.

Is there any way I can request a feature to be able to opt out of certain drives from SMART updates? Ideally I would want to keep the smart updates scheduled but not receive these emails daily. If I could opt out of those two nvme's from being updated that would help until the new version of smartmontools gets upgraded with the new Unraid version.

11 minutes ago, bobokun said:

Is there any way I can request a feature to be able to opt out of certain drives from SMART updates? Ideally I would want to keep the smart updates scheduled but not receive these emails daily. If I could opt out of those two nvme's from being updated that would help until the new version of smartmontools gets upgraded with the new Unraid version.

Nah, it's either disabling the cronjob entirely from Disk Location or leave it as it is. "S.M.A.R.T updates" under Settings

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been using this plugin for a while. recently I moved some disks around the server slots, and resaved the tray locations. Now, the unraid info labels are messed up for my disks. they seem to be mismatched with the disk or pool names I see on the main tab. What could have caused it, and how can I refresh this state?

On 5/18/2024 at 7:49 AM, apandey said:

I have been using this plugin for a while. recently I moved some disks around the server slots, and resaved the tray locations. Now, the unraid info labels are messed up for my disks. they seem to be mismatched with the disk or pool names I see on the main tab. What could have caused it, and how can I refresh this state?

Did you try "Force update all"?