[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

43 minutes ago, Rexima said:

You are right, yes. But i have the same issue with my GTX 770.

Im using the latest Lilu and WEG versions or do i need to update to the latest debug versions?

opencore-2021-02-21-183429.txt 256 kB · 0 downloads

What does that log refer to?

Are you trying to install or to boot into an existing installation?

What is your os?

You need to use opencore debug to have a complete log, your lilu and weg should be fine, but you need a complete debug log of opencore to troubleshoot. The release version generates a log too, but with less info and most of the time it is not useful.

If you are not able to create/replace the bootloader you can upload your opencore img or whatever it is here; if you don't want to share with the world your sensible data (serial number, uuid, etc.) just write me a pm and attach it to that pm, and I will replace the files for you to test.

Attach also the xml you are using with the gtx 770.

Edited by ghost82

Hey Everyone

First of all I want to thanks @SpaceInvaderOne for creating this docker because of that I am able to run MacOS on my AMD system (2700x).

Is anybody here knows whats the best video settings for BigSur without needing to pass any graphics card (I only have one and I am passing it to windows 10), also I have tried VGA and QXL but none of them is able to handle smooth 60Hz even.

2 hours ago, Inderjeet Singh said:

whats the best video settings for BigSur without needing to pass any graphics card

MacOS is not designed to run without a graphics card - all current Apple Macintosh computers have a GPU of some sort. By not using one you are doing all graphics operations in software. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

2 hours ago, John_M said:

MacOS is not designed to run without a graphics card - all current Apple Macintosh computers have a GPU of some sort. By not using one you are doing all graphics operations in software. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

@John_M Thanks for replying. My main focus will be development on MAC so having no graphics shouldn't be a problem for me. But I just wanted to get full resolution screen of around 3440x1440 so that I can use my screen properly, I'll be connecting the macinabox with my Macbook using vnc. 

Edited by Inderjeet Singh
6 hours ago, Inderjeet Singh said:

I just wanted to get full resolution screen of around 3440x1440 so that I can use my screen properly, I'll be connecting the macinabox with my Macbook using vnc.

With an actual graphics card macOS would be able to determine the capabilities of the monitor you have attached and offer at least its native resolution as an option. There's an option to change the default resolution within the OVMF BIOS. There might be a configuration option within OpenCore, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about OpenCore to advise.

Since you're using another Mac to view your VM, I'd give Apple Screen Sharing (built into macOS) a try, as an alternative to VNC.

22 hours ago, uktz said:

image.png.d33188043944b53d8bc29252ea10cdbb.png

No matter how many times I restart the server, remove template/appdata, delete domains/isos, and remove the VM, I am plagued with this error

You need to delete the ovmf file. That will fix the issue I had that issue as well. If you reinstall everything it should work with Catalina. Uninstall Macinabox, then delete the VM delete the iso files and domain files, then delete ovmf file and the template. I also deleted Macinabox under appdata. Then start the installation again.   I can't get Big Sur to download method 1 and 2 don't work for Big Sur. Method 1 downloads a file called Big Sur but when you run the VM it's Catalina and Method 2 doesn't work. 

1 minute ago, Eshlil said:

You need to delete the ovmf file. That will fix the issue I had that issue as well. If you reinstall everything it should work with Catalina. Uninstall Macinabox, then delete the VM delete the iso files and domain files, then delete ovmf file and the template. I also deleted Macinabox under appdata. Then start the installation again.   I can't get Big Sur to download method 1 and 2 don't work for Big Sur. Method 1 downloads a file called Big Sur but when you run the VM it's Catalina and Method 2 doesn't work. 

Yeah that's my issue as well, trying to install Big Sur and it just comes up with Catalina. I'll go ahead and delete that ovmf file, and try deleting everything again

1 minute ago, uktz said:

Yeah that's my issue as well, trying to install Big Sur and it just comes up with Catalina. I'll go ahead and delete that ovmf file, and try deleting everything again

If you need help let me know? I did this a couple of times trying to get Big Sur to work. 

Just now, Eshlil said:

If you need help let me know? I did this a couple of times trying to get Big Sur to work. 

Here's my process

Deleted the OVMF

Removed docker, cleared template

Deleted appdata

Undefined the VM, deleted it

Have you gotten BigSur to actually work or are you running Catalina?

14 minutes ago, uktz said:

Here's my process

Deleted the OVMF

Removed docker, cleared template

Deleted appdata

Undefined the VM, deleted it

Have you gotten BigSur to actually work or are you running Catalina?

I can't get BigSur to work method 1 downloads a file called BigSur but when I run the VM it's Catalina. Method 2 doesn't do anything when I select BigSur. 

10 hours ago, joshallen2k said:

Personally I got around this by installing  Catalina and just upgrade once the VM is established to Big Sur. Worked for me along with no problems of incremental OS upgrades through system preferences. 

Does the new version of Macinthebox work with updates? Every time I would update it will never boot again. 

6 hours ago, joshallen2k said:

I have not run the helper script after updates.

You don't need to run it after macOS updates. You run the helper script once, unaltered, before you first launch the VM to install macOS. Then you edit it and run that version each time you edit the template. Its main purpose is to make sure some custom parts of the XML are not lost. Its secondary purpose is to make sure the correct network card definition is specified, depending on whether you're installing or running the VM.

12 hours ago, joshallen2k said:

It has worked for me. If it helps, I have not run the helper script after updates.

I tried to install Big Sur as an update. Once it says it completes it just boots back in Catalina. Never can get it to install. I wonder if its because of my hardware. Using an AMD bulldozer chip (very old) I need to upgrade.