[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox


2134 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE EVERYONE POSTING IN THIS THREAD IF YOU POST YOUR XML FOR THE VM HERE PLEASE REMOVE/OBSCURE THE OSK KEY AT THE BOTTOM. IT IS AGAINST THE RULES OF THE FORUM FOR OSK K

09 Dec 2020   Basic usage instructions.   Macinabox needs the following other apps to be installed. CA User Scripts (macinabox will inject a user script. This is what fixes th

Do you like this for an icon? I think its appropriate.

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Rexima said:

You are right, yes. But i have the same issue with my GTX 770.

Im using the latest Lilu and WEG versions or do i need to update to the latest debug versions?

opencore-2021-02-21-183429.txt 256 kB · 0 downloads

What does that log refer to?

Are you trying to install or to boot into an existing installation?

What is your os?

 

You need to use opencore debug to have a complete log, your lilu and weg should be fine, but you need a complete debug log of opencore to troubleshoot. The release version generates a log too, but with less info and most of the time it is not useful.

If you are not able to create/replace the bootloader you can upload your opencore img or whatever it is here; if you don't want to share with the world your sensible data (serial number, uuid, etc.) just write me a pm and attach it to that pm, and I will replace the files for you to test.

 

Attach also the xml you are using with the gtx 770.

Edited by ghost82
Link to post

Hey Everyone

 

First of all I want to thanks @SpaceInvaderOne for creating this docker because of that I am able to run MacOS on my AMD system (2700x).

Is anybody here knows whats the best video settings for BigSur without needing to pass any graphics card (I only have one and I am passing it to windows 10), also I have tried VGA and QXL but none of them is able to handle smooth 60Hz even.

 

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, Inderjeet Singh said:

whats the best video settings for BigSur without needing to pass any graphics card

 

MacOS is not designed to run without a graphics card - all current Apple Macintosh computers have a GPU of some sort. By not using one you are doing all graphics operations in software. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, John_M said:

 

MacOS is not designed to run without a graphics card - all current Apple Macintosh computers have a GPU of some sort. By not using one you are doing all graphics operations in software. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

 

 

@John_M Thanks for replying. My main focus will be development on MAC so having no graphics shouldn't be a problem for me. But I just wanted to get full resolution screen of around 3440x1440 so that I can use my screen properly, I'll be connecting the macinabox with my Macbook using vnc. 

Edited by Inderjeet Singh
Link to post
6 hours ago, Inderjeet Singh said:

I just wanted to get full resolution screen of around 3440x1440 so that I can use my screen properly, I'll be connecting the macinabox with my Macbook using vnc.

 

With an actual graphics card macOS would be able to determine the capabilities of the monitor you have attached and offer at least its native resolution as an option. There's an option to change the default resolution within the OVMF BIOS. There might be a configuration option within OpenCore, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about OpenCore to advise.

 

Since you're using another Mac to view your VM, I'd give Apple Screen Sharing (built into macOS) a try, as an alternative to VNC.

Link to post

I keep getting Catalina when I select Big Sur. Anybody have a solution for this. I cleaned up all the Macinabox files and removed everything it says Big Sur in the file directory. Trying method 2 now.

Link to post

I keep getting Catalina too, instead of BigSur... Anyone know why?
And with Method2 it doesn't even download at all, saying:
" I am going to download the BigSur recovery media. Please be patient!
.
.
Product ID 001-86606 could not be found. "

Link to post
22 hours ago, uktz said:

image.png.d33188043944b53d8bc29252ea10cdbb.png

 

No matter how many times I restart the server, remove template/appdata, delete domains/isos, and remove the VM, I am plagued with this error

You need to delete the ovmf file. That will fix the issue I had that issue as well. If you reinstall everything it should work with Catalina. Uninstall Macinabox, then delete the VM delete the iso files and domain files, then delete ovmf file and the template. I also deleted Macinabox under appdata. Then start the installation again.   I can't get Big Sur to download method 1 and 2 don't work for Big Sur. Method 1 downloads a file called Big Sur but when you run the VM it's Catalina and Method 2 doesn't work. 

 

 

Link to post
1 minute ago, Eshlil said:

You need to delete the ovmf file. That will fix the issue I had that issue as well. If you reinstall everything it should work with Catalina. Uninstall Macinabox, then delete the VM delete the iso files and domain files, then delete ovmf file and the template. I also deleted Macinabox under appdata. Then start the installation again.   I can't get Big Sur to download method 1 and 2 don't work for Big Sur. Method 1 downloads a file called Big Sur but when you run the VM it's Catalina and Method 2 doesn't work. 

 

 

 

Yeah that's my issue as well, trying to install Big Sur and it just comes up with Catalina. I'll go ahead and delete that ovmf file, and try deleting everything again

Link to post
1 minute ago, uktz said:

 

Yeah that's my issue as well, trying to install Big Sur and it just comes up with Catalina. I'll go ahead and delete that ovmf file, and try deleting everything again

If you need help let me know? I did this a couple of times trying to get Big Sur to work. 

Link to post
Just now, Eshlil said:

If you need help let me know? I did this a couple of times trying to get Big Sur to work. 

 

Here's my process

Deleted the OVMF

Removed docker, cleared template

Deleted appdata

Undefined the VM, deleted it

 

Have you gotten BigSur to actually work or are you running Catalina?

 

Link to post
14 minutes ago, uktz said:

 

Here's my process

Deleted the OVMF

Removed docker, cleared template

Deleted appdata

Undefined the VM, deleted it

 

Have you gotten BigSur to actually work or are you running Catalina?

 

I can't get BigSur to work method 1 downloads a file called BigSur but when I run the VM it's Catalina. Method 2 doesn't do anything when I select BigSur. 

Link to post
10 hours ago, joshallen2k said:

Personally I got around this by installing  Catalina and just upgrade once the VM is established to Big Sur. Worked for me along with no problems of incremental OS upgrades through system preferences. 

Does the new version of Macinthebox work with updates? Every time I would update it will never boot again. 

Link to post
6 hours ago, joshallen2k said:

I have not run the helper script after updates.

 

You don't need to run it after macOS updates. You run the helper script once, unaltered, before you first launch the VM to install macOS. Then you edit it and run that version each time you edit the template. Its main purpose is to make sure some custom parts of the XML are not lost. Its secondary purpose is to make sure the correct network card definition is specified, depending on whether you're installing or running the VM.

Link to post
12 hours ago, joshallen2k said:

It has worked for me. If it helps, I have not run the helper script after updates.

I tried to install Big Sur as an update. Once it says it completes it just boots back in Catalina. Never can get it to install. I wonder if its because of my hardware. Using an AMD bulldozer chip (very old) I need to upgrade.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.