VM Backup Plugin

On 7/15/2024 at 7:36 AM, djgrazzy said:

I have a new unraid 7.0.0-beta.2 test server.
VM Backup plugin installs ok but doesn't seem to save any settings when you click apply and then come back into VM backup plugin settings? Anyone else playing with UR7 yet and experience this?

Hi. Yes I've experienced the same. I expect the plugin will need some updates to work with the newer version of PHP in Unraid 7.

The plugin developer says they have a lot on at the moment, so I'm not sure when they might have time to do this, but in the meantime it's been working for me to edit:

/config/plugins/vmbackup/user.cfg

on the Flash Drive for any settings changes, then use the included commands.sh script to write these settings out to the user-script.sh script (in the same folder), so they apply to your backups. This assumes you're just using the default config and not any custom ones. E.g.:

cd /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/vmbackup/scripts
./commands.sh update_user_script

Since yours is a new server you'll probably also need to create the schedule (cronjob) and this can be done using the update_cron_job parameter on the commands.sh script once you've set the cron variables in user.cfg:

./commands.sh update_cron_job

Commands.sh can also be used to start a manual backup (as I find that button is not working in the UI at the moment), by using the backup_now parameter:

./commands.sh backup_now

I don't completely understand the setup and flow between the different components, but this is what I've been able to deduce just to get things running in the meantime, so I hope it helps.

Thanks to @JTok for this plugin and the helpful comments in the code. Hopefully the bodging around above won't make them wince too much :) 

• Thanks 1

I'm using the plugin on 6.12.8, and everything is working with no issues except for the file and folder naming. I saw an old post (Page 5 of this thread) about the file/folder structure changing but I made an initial manual backup and it was the original file/folder structure:

Original (which is what my manual backup looks like)

/backup_dir/vm_name/20200204_1555_vm_name.xml

vs

Updated

/backup_dir/vm_name/20200204_1555/vm_name.xml).

Is that structure change only applicable to automated backups?

I also read that there should have been a selection made when opening the plugin but I never saw anything like that?

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, jcouch93 said:

I believe you have to fill that in manually (at least I think I read that earlier in this thread).

Yes that's correct - the drop-down only shows local shares when I look at mine here.

The path for remote shares is /mnt/remotes/<name_of_mount_point>/

So, in the Main -> Unassigned Devices section of Unraid, if your SMB/NFS/ISO Mount Point was called Backups, the path to type in to the "Set backup location" box would be /mnt/remotes/Backups/

Hope that helps.

(Caveat that I only have SMB remote shares so I've not seen if there is any different format for NFS).

@JTok I know you might be busy but may i ask you two questions please:

1) Any plans or tipps regarding how to fix the "error: failed to connect to the hypervisor"- topic? (Your plugin isn't considering the fact that when it reinstalls itself the VMs aren't yet enabled)

2) Any plans on bringing out a v7 compat version soon?

May thanks in advance

Edited by UnraidTobias
  • 2 weeks later...

in prerelease on unriad v7

with the introduction of snapshots.

libvirt will have 2 folders that will also need to be backed up.
as shown here:

not sure how vdisk.img and the snapshot file should be handled in a backup like this.

Especial with the qcow creations

1 hour ago, bmartino1 said:

in prerelease on unriad v7

with the introduction of snapshots.

libvirt will have 2 folders that will also need to be backed up.
as shown here:

not sure how vdisk.img and the snapshot file should be handled in a backup like this.

Especial with the qcow creations

only snapshotdb would need to be backed if you want to keep restore snap shot history. Backup would also need to backup the whole chain and otherfiles in the main directory.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2024 at 11:50 PM, dereitz said:

I'm receiving the same error related to an empty cdrom file path.  Did you ever figure out a workaround/fix?

I have been having this issue as well. Any sign of a fix? I believe the backups are still fine, but every week I just get an error notification:

unRAID VM Backup script

empty vdisk_path on Windows 10 Pro