[Support] knex666 - Nextcloud

57 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Do you need/use it?

See from the apps tab in the UI, it might not be updated for NC 29 yet.

No, I'm not using it.

And I can't seem to find it in the disabled app section either.  Does it have another name ?

On 6/1/2024 at 5:39 PM, Kilrah said:

Looks like it's called Teams now

Thanks.  Even after enabling it and restarting the docker everything still works.

I guess it was an update error.

Thanks for your help.

I have everything installed and now get this message when I try to connect remotely:

Please contact your administrator. If you are an administrator, edit the "trusted_domains" setting in config/config.php like the example in config.sample.php.

How do I edit the trusted doamins?

Posted (edited)

Wondering if this fork will include the most common chased dependencies pdlib and ffmpeg.

The latter is easy enough and I have that in a script for every NC update it's removed.

However the pdlib I have spent 5+ hours and still not got it working, many people struggle to get it working.

This fork has done it: 

But I would prefer to use knex666 fork, always a concern when the images are modified.

Edited by ados
37 minutes ago, ados said:

But I would prefer to use knex666 fork, always a concern when the images are modified.

It's not a fork, it's just a template for the official image as is. And how would you expect more things to be added without "the image being modified"?

My nextcloud-ffmpeg image also has ffmpeg and works with memories/recognise plus has VAAPI support.

I guess my wording was poor.

I was meaning that if I was to use a fork I was aiming for something more well known.

I know that knex666 isn't a fork but was hoping it might be one day.

Posted (edited)

If it became a fork it'd be "less well known" as a modified version than those that have been around for a year or 2 then... 🤷‍♂️

Also 1) the "modifications" are public so you can see what they are, and 2) there... aren't exactly multiple ways to do it so it'd end up being essentially the same.

Edited by Kilrah

Don't think the quotes are needed, thanks for clarifying.

It's also not practical for users to dig into changes, understand them and do this ideally on each change.

At this point Nextcloud should be including these popular dependencies 🫤.

It's appreciated that people like yourself spend the time to make these changes for the community which wouldn't be needed if they added to the core image but 🤷‍♂️.

I had seen your docker fork but with the title and it not explicitly mentioning pdlib I thought it was mainly targeted at ffmpeg.

I shall take a look 👍

Posted (edited)

After must trial and error, documentation and 30+ forums I have it working for this image.

If anyone is interested let me know and I can post a guide.

Edit: It broke on simple reboot

Edited by ados
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ados said:

Edit: It broke on simple reboot

That's why we're making different images. Changes you apply to the container that are not built into the image are not persistent, you'll have to reapply them after any container update or edit which is highly impractical. 

If you look at the Dockerfile for my image it's just a few packages added with apt. All you needed was to run those in this container and you'd have gotten the same thing, but not persistent. Or it can be applied and distributed into the image, and then it is... Could even build the image locally with said Dockerfile and use it if you really had trust issues.

On 6/8/2024 at 10:59 AM, ados said:

At this point Nextcloud should be including these popular dependencies 🫤.

AFAIK they do in their "Nextcloud AiO" container, which is the "really official" one...

Edited by Kilrah

I have following questions:

1. If someone has been using nextcloud from LINUX repository (for 5 yrs+), is there ANY benefit to use knex666 image? If yes, what are top 3 benefits?
  2. How difficult is to change the repositories (dockers), assuming one wants to keep ALL existing data (calendar, bookmarks, contacts,..etc)? If it's easy, are there any simple and explicit STEP-BY-STEP instructions on how to perform the change?

Thanks