Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

26 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Do you mean it cannot be mounted?  You have a drive that doesn't mount because there is no file system on the disk:

afaik he want to preclear a bunch of "old" disks, all using hotswap after and after ...

and after a run, the next disks (hotswapped) to preclear arent listed to preclear them ...

he needs to reboot when i understood it correctly ;)

5 minutes ago, alturismo said:

afaik he want to preclear a bunch of "old" disks, all using hotswap after and after ...

and after a run, the next disks (hotswapped) to preclear arent listed to preclear them ...

Generally clicking the double arrow icon on the UD page to get udev to re-discover the disks works.  If you hotplug a disk while on the preclear webpage, it will take some time to show up because the page doesn't refresh that often.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, alturismo said:

thanks for your help. You described it perfectly💪

48 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Generally clicking the double arrow icon on the UD page to get udev to re-discover the disks works.  If you hotplug a disk while on the preclear webpage, it will take some time to show up because the page doesn't refresh that often.

Unfortunately, this does not work, even if I wait several hours. The HDD does not appear in UD

Not sure where I went wrong this time around as I have another RAID1 under the Unassigned Devices plugin. 

I put in 2 NVMe drives on my motherboard, started following the steps from this link here: 

However, when doing this portion of the instructions: btrfs dev add -f /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/disks/MyPath. I get the error of, ERROR: /dev/nvme0n1p1 is mounted. Isn't that what I want or need? I tried to unmount the share but then the share isn't found. I stopped the array and tried mount and unmount with the same but exact same error messages. 

Is there a possibility we can get an an option for "Retry every xxx (seconds/minutes)" for mounting remote shares?

I have multiple Unraid systems, each mounting one or more of each-other's shares and it's difficult, if not impossible, to get them all to have automatically mounted shares even after specifying delays.

The systems don't all go down or come up at the same time. I might need to spin one or more down and then back up at random times. A power failure might cause them all to shut down, and startup times are very different on each of them. Etc.

Edited by Espressomatic
On 4/4/2024 at 2:05 PM, unraid-550529 said:

Hi dlandon,

I'm a new Unraid user. Thanks so much for your great work.

I spent some hours trying to find out why new device scripts won't save. Luckily I now managed to find your regarding post.

Can you already tell more about when this would be addressed or what kind of workaround we can do in order to run scripts on mounting of external (flash) drives?

Can I help in any way to fix this? Can you provide more details about what the exact issue is (with the current Unraid verssion)?

Thanks so much in advance.

It's been fixed in the latest release of UD.  There is unfortunately an issue when working in Chrome Incognito that prevents the saving of UD scripts because of security when using Incognito.

If you have issues at other times, go to a command line after a save fails and type 'ud_diagnostics' and post the /flash/logs/ud_diagnostics.zip file.

Hello, I have met some problems when using assigned devices.

I have mount an iso image with the assigned devices. After that I deleted the original iso image without unmount and delete it from assigned devices. So I unmount it with the CLI and delete the folder in /mnt/disks. But now the assigned devices just don`t work. The webUI shows "Failed to get data to refresh page." I have tried rebooting the system, reinstall the assigned devices plugin and don`t help. What can I do now to make assigned devices plugin work again?

3 minutes ago, mervynsword said:

Hello, I have met some problems when using assigned devices.

I have mount an iso image with the assigned devices. After that I deleted the original iso image without unmount and delete it from assigned devices. So I unmount it with the CLI and delete the folder in /mnt/disks. But now the assigned devices just don`t work. The webUI shows "Failed to get data to refresh page." I have tried rebooting the system, reinstall the assigned devices plugin and don`t help. What can I do now to make assigned devices plugin work again?

Go to a command line and type 'ud_diagnostics' and then post the /flash/logs/ud_diagnostics.zip file.

2 hours ago, mervynsword said:

The issue us with the '宝' Chinese character.  The Chinese character set is multiple bytes and sometimes one of the bytes causes php to choke.  I've fixed this for the next release of UD.  To fix it now, edit the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/iso_config.cfg file and remove all the text, then click on the double arrows icon in the upper right corner of the UD page.  This will get the UD page working again.

I have a script in Un that's been working for months, based off the example script from post #1 -- when I plug in an external drive, it mounts and does an rsync of several of my shares.  

But now, for some reason, I can't alter that script.  I can see the script in the script editor.  I can type my changes in.  But clicking "Apply" doesn't update the script--It just reloads the screen and my changes are gone.  I don't get a "save" button... but I can click the Delete button, which gives me a "Save" option.  I paste my script back in, but "Save" is still greyed out.  Clicking the "Reset" button works as expected - just reverting the script.  

If I click "Default" it populates with the default script, but even then when I click Save it just reverts back to an empty script.  

Do I have a permissions error somewhere that's preventing it from saving?

I've tried Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.  The problem persists in all three browsers.  

Help?

EDIT -- I seem to have gotten around my problem.  

I deleted all the scripts that were present, since the "Delete" button seems to work properly.  Then I just opened a terminal,

nano /boot/config/unassigned.devices/Cold_Storage.sh

and pasted my script in there.  Went back to Unassigned Devices, selected the script I created manually, clicked "Save" and it's all good. 

Edited by AeroMaestro
solved my own problem by just doing it manually
7 hours ago, dlandon said:

The issue us with the '宝' Chinese character.  The Chinese character set is multiple bytes and sometimes one of the bytes causes php to choke.  I've fixed this for the next release of UD.  To fix it now, edit the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/iso_config.cfg file and remove all the text, then click on the double arrows icon in the upper right corner of the UD page.  This will get the UD page working again.

Great! It works now! Thank you very much!

On 9/10/2024 at 3:15 PM, Espressomatic said:

Is there a possibility we can get an an option for "Retry every xxx (seconds/minutes)" for mounting remote shares?

I decided to tackle this myself with a script, linked below. Run the script every 5 minutes and never worry about shares being down nor delaying Unassigned Devices auto-mounting.

Works with both SMB and NFS shares. No configuration needed - just add the script to User Scripts and set a custom schedule to run it every 5 (or other) minutes.

Edited by Espressomatic