Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

I have an issue with my WD 14TB drive sleeping on a custom schedule.

I added hdparm -S12 $device to my HDD script in unassigned devices but the drive does not spin down after 60 seconds as per the hdparm -S12 paramater. I have also enabled disk sleep in UNRAID settings to its lowest setting of 15 minutes. 

How do I get the drive to sleep after 60 seconds and not 15 minutes? 

You can't use hdparm.  Unraid's spin management will override it.

In the UD script add this code to spin down or detach a disk when the script is finished:

'REMOVE' )
    # do your stuff here

# Spin down disk - uncomment this if you want the disk to be spun down after the disk is unmounted
#   /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned spindown $UD_DEVICE

# Detach the disk - uncomment this if you want the USB disk to be detached after it is unmounted
#   /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned detach $UD_DEVICE

/usr/local/emhttp/webGui/scripts/notify -e "Unraid Server Notice" -s "Unassigned Devices" -d "Device unmounted" -i "normal"
  ;;

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

You can't use hdparm.  Unraid's spin management will override it.

In the UD script add this code to spin down or detach a disk when the script is finished:

'REMOVE' )
    # do your stuff here

# Spin down disk - uncomment this if you want the disk to be spun down after the disk is unmounted
#   /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned spindown $UD_DEVICE

# Detach the disk - uncomment this if you want the USB disk to be detached after it is unmounted
#   /usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned detach $UD_DEVICE

/usr/local/emhttp/webGui/scripts/notify -e "Unraid Server Notice" -s "Unassigned Devices" -d "Device unmounted" -i "normal"
  ;;

Thank you, seems odd that you can't use a value less than 15 minutes in UNRAID. I got used to having all my HDDs spin down after 5 coz they are vey noisy. Now with latest UNRAID i am stuck with 15 minutes for all drives. That sucks.

1 minute ago, mikeyosm said:

Thank you, seems odd that you can't use a value less than 15 minutes in UNRAID. I got used to having all my HDDs spin down after 5 coz they are vey noisy. Now with latest UNRAID i am stuck with 15 minutes for all drives. That sucks.

Feel free to make a feature request to change to add 5 mins to the available spin down times.

• Upvote 1
On 1/14/2024 at 12:24 PM, dlandon said:

UD tried to mount the SYNOLOGY remote share but it detected it is offline:

Jan 14 09:12:55 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Remote Shares...
Jan 14 09:12:55 Tower unassigned.devices: Using Gateway '10.0.0.1' to Ping Remote Shares.
Jan 14 09:12:55 Tower unassigned.devices: Waiting 5 secs before mounting Remote Shares...
Jan 14 09:12:56 Tower avahi-daemon[11644]: Server startup complete. Host name is Tower.local. Local service cookie is 2168445332.
Jan 14 09:12:57 Tower avahi-daemon[11644]: Service "Tower" (/services/ssh.service) successfully established.
Jan 14 09:12:57 Tower avahi-daemon[11644]: Service "Tower" (/services/smb.service) successfully established.
Jan 14 09:12:57 Tower avahi-daemon[11644]: Service "Tower" (/services/sftp-ssh.service) successfully established.
Jan 14 09:13:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '//SYNOLOGY/home'...
Jan 14 09:13:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Remote Server 'SYNOLOGY' is offline and remote share 'home' cannot be mounted.

Some questions:

• Does the 'Mount' button show orange or gray?
  • If it is orange, will it mount manually when you click the 'Mount' button?  If this works go to the UD Settings and increse the 5 second time delay before auto mounting remote shares.
  • Does the SYNOLOGY respond to a ping?  UD uses a ping to determine if the remote server is online.  

Hi,

The button is grey

this is the ping test results

Kind Regards,

ping.png

I have been using this plugin for years with no issue until now so #1 thank you! 

TLDR: Remote share mounts with path via Tailscale and shows green but can’t browse or see files in Unraids dashboard. Just stays loading. 

My cache drives running BTRFS became corrupt and my appdata backup and restore was 6 months old (not sure why but it wasn’t backing up data, only the xmls). I restored all xmls and reinstalled all dockers and VMs that lived on cache. The system partition on cache was also lost and this may be a part of my problem if UD relies on files in here. 

I use UD to mount a remote chair that is offsite. I use Tailscale on the server to create the path. I’m out the share via SMB with a username and password. And then use Duplicati to run my back up of essential files.

The issue, since I have got the server back up and running, I am able to mount the share and during that process it shows me the various shares on the remote server and I pick my offsitebackup share. The share shows green and online on the UD dashboard. However, if I try to navigate to share on Unraids dashboard I cannot see any files and Duplicati also says there’s nothing in there. When I go to the path of the share on windows, I can see all of my old backups and it works as it should. Any ideas for things to check here? It appears the path via Tailscale is working because it mounts and shows me the various shares when creating the mount and gives me a greenlight. Duplicati doesn’t matter because I can’t even view the files on the dashboard. No errors I can see. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter1043 said:

Remote share mounts with path via Tailscale and shows green but can’t browse or see files in Unraids dashboard. Just stays loading. 

Show a screen shot.

However, if I try to navigate to share on Unraids dashboard I cannot see any files and Duplicati also says there’s nothing in there.

What mount path are you using to access the files?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Show a screen shot.

What mount path are you using to access the files?

Even beyond a path in Duplicati, when I click the blue path in Unraid, it will not load. Usually I can see files when I click that. At least prior to this cluster of an issue I had with my cache drive. It does show the size and usage correctly.  

but my path for Duplicati is,

/mnt/remotes/100.94.237.65_offsitebackup/

IMG_1781.png

IMG_1782.png

New release of UD.  Notable changes:

• The method for determining a server to be on line is no longer a ping,  The SMB or NFS port is checked to be open on a remote server and this determines the server being online for either SMB or NFS shares.
  • Added a per SMB remote share device setting to enable encryption on the CIFS mount.  This is intended for servers outside the LAN.  Using it on LAN servers will introduce a performance hit.
  • Reworked the Unraid startup script that waits for the network to be active.  It no longer requires the gateway to respond to  a ping.  The startup waits for 2 minutes for the gateway to be available and respond to a ping.  If the gateway is available but does not respond to a ping within 2 minutes, remote shares are mounted anyway,
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, dlandon said:

Does it ever turn orange?

It does not change orange. I appreciate the tip of Dynamix File Manager, I removed it and tried a few other steps and it did not fix it. Actually had trouble removing the plug in but deleted it from the USB drive. 

To add more to the problem, if I "share" the remote UD and then in windows file explorer navigate to it, I thought it wouldn't load as it sat and spun for around 60 seconds but DID eventually populate the files inside. When I went to move a 100MB file it just shows one file discovered and looks like it pending but either never moves, or takes longer then 5 minutes to even attempt to move. 

If I go to the remote servers share directly in Windows (rather then the "share" from UD in my local server), I am able to mobe the same 100MB file almost instantly. Its like through UD and the remote share function, I am getting a tiny fragment of throughput. 

Today I mounted an NTFS drive that I got back from a data recovery service probably a year or so ago, which I received write-protected. I see in UD that it's mounted as 'RO'. How can I un-write-protect this drive, so it mounts read/write in UD?

image.png.5cc5094afd46c97fff616fa76083812b.png

It does not change orange. I appreciate the tip of Dynamix File Manager, I removed it and tried a few other steps and it did not fix it. Actually had trouble removing the plug in but deleted it from the USB drive. 

To add more to the problem, if I "share" the remote UD and then in windows file explorer navigate to it, I thought it wouldn't load as it sat and spun for around 60 seconds but DID eventually populate the files inside. When I went to move a 100MB file it just shows one file discovered and looks like it pending but either never moves, or takes longer then 5 minutes to even attempt to move. 

If I go to the remote servers share directly in Windows (rather then the "share" from UD in my local server), I am able to mobe the same 100MB file almost instantly. Its like through UD and the remote share function, I am getting a tiny fragment of throughput. 

Unmount your drive and click on the file check icon (check mark).  It looks like you might have a disk issue.  Post diagnostics so I canhelo you more.

On 1/14/2024 at 3:19 AM, Unraidmule said:

I rebooted Unraid and manually started the Array - and waited for UD to mount but it didn't do anything :(

Log is suggesting synology nas is offline ? but it has an uptime of 70 days.

thanks

UD thinks it is offline because the network doesn't seem to be up when UD tries to mount the rfemote shares.  Your remoteserver may not be responding to a ping.  Do the following:

• Update UD to today's release.  Ping is no longer used to test for a server to be online.  UD now checks the port for SMB and NFS to be open on the server to determine if it is online.
  • Go to the UD Settings and increase the "Remote Share Mount Wait Time".  This is the time UD waits after the network apears to be alive before trying to mount remote shares.
34 minutes ago, Karyudo said:

Today I mounted an NTFS drive that I got back from a data recovery service probably a year or so ago, which I received write-protected. I see in UD that it's mounted as 'RO'. How can I un-write-protect this drive, so it mounts read/write in UD?

image.png.5cc5094afd46c97fff616fa76083812b.png

Look at the log.  The disk was probably not shut down correctly and will mount ro because of that.  This will be the problem if you haven't set UD to mount it ro.

12 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Unmount your drive and click on the file check icon (check mark).  It looks like you might have a disk issue.  Post diagnostics so I canhelo you more.

Thank you for your help!

More troubleshooting steps.... 

1. Uninstalled UD and UD plus, restarted, reinstalled UD and Plus. 

2. Moved from Tailscale docker by uninstalling and running appdata cleanup. Installed Tailscale plugin instead as its whats supported now. No change. Was thinking it may have been a Tailacale issue on my Unraid only but doesn't appear to be. 

Does UD do ANYTHING with the libvert file? I understand thats for VMs and I have 3, but I did restore that when my cache crashed which caused issues with other plugins like USB Manager. 

There is no check I can click when not mounted, see screenshot. Its not a drive, its a share if that makes a difference.

Lastly, anytime I try to access the UD remote share, through Duplicati or browsing it on Unraid, it locks up and will not dismount. When I try it says "target is busy" but it will remain that way indefinitely until I restart the system. 

I have attached my diagnostics during the problem. 

Screenshot 2024-01-17 211800.png

wolf-diagnostics-20240117-2103.zip

16 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Look at the log.  The disk was probably not shut down correctly and will mount ro because of that.  This will be the problem if you haven't set UD to mount it ro.

OK, so now I have two problems: my original problem, and I don't know what "look at the log" means.

I definitely didn't do anything on purpose to mount the drive RO. I'm now also increasingly sure that I got the drive back from the data recovery place with it write-protected.

Alright, I found the log, and it says, "Jan 17 09:13:56 <servername> unassigned.devices: Mount warning: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.) Could not mount read-write, trying read-only"

Edited by Karyudo
6 minutes ago, Wolfhunter1043 said:

Does UD do ANYTHING with the libvert file? I understand thats for VMs and I have 3, but I did restore that when my cache crashed which caused issues with other plugins like USB Manager. 

No.

6 minutes ago, Wolfhunter1043 said:

There is no check I can click when not mounted, see screenshot. Its not a drive, its a share if that makes a difference.

Yea, sorry bouyt that.  Too many support at one time.  I somehow thought it was a disk.

7 minutes ago, Wolfhunter1043 said:

Lastly, anytime I try to access the UD remote share, through Duplicati or browsing it on Unraid, it locks up and will not dismount. When I try it says "target is busy" but it will remain that way indefinitely until I restart the system. 

The issue is the size is zero, and there is no used and free.  Your remote server is having an issue.

Try updating to today's UD release.

4 minutes ago, Karyudo said:

OK, so now I have two problems: my original problem, and I don't know what "look at the log" means.

I definitely didn't do anything on purpose to mount the drive RO. I'm now also increasingly sure that I got the drive back from the data recovery place with it write-protected.

Alright, I found the log, and it says, "Jan 17 09:13:56 <servername> unassigned.devices: Mount warning: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.) Could not mount read-write, trying read-only"

That's it.  UD can't get past that.

22 minutes ago, Wolfhunter1043 said:

Crap, just noticed that the remote share wasn't even mountedl.  Forget what I said.

Reboot the server and post diagnostics after mounting the remote share.

1 minute ago, Unraidmule said:

HI,

It only goes orange when you do the DLNA search to find //Synology in the list 

but you don't even need to click it in the list after search it goes orange.

Kind Regards,

Have you updated UD and tried that?