Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

22 minutes ago, Unraidmule said:

The array is not set to auto start on boot - due to motherboard needs dummy HDMI to auto start server - which I still need to get.

but UD should still mount before array is started as its a different location? and there is dockers dependant on UD location so this needs to start before array goes online.

UD starts when the array comes on-line.  Docker starts after UD mounts disks, but before remote shares are mounted.

When you manually start the array, UD will perform it's auto mount operations when it detects the array has started.

hi,

is there a way to call the mount of a remote share setup via unassigned devices if it get's unmounted without restarting the array (for automount) or manually clicking the mount button? I am looking to mount my backup nas (which only gets powered on once a week for backups) within unraid. It is configured via unassigned devices but gets taken offline, when the backup nas poweres off and not remounted, when the backup nas comes online again.

thank you!

10 minutes ago, sluggathor said:

hi,

is there a way to call the mount of a remote share setup via unassigned devices if it get's unmounted without restarting the array (for automount) or manually clicking the mount button? I am looking to mount my backup nas (which only gets powered on once a week for backups) within unraid. It is configured via unassigned devices but gets taken offline, when the backup nas poweres off and not remounted, when the backup nas comes online again.

thank you!

Go to the UD page and click on 'Help' in he upper right hand corner of the page and read down about the rc.unassigned script.

I am still trying to use the great rsync script from @mgutt. Unfortunately I am failing a bit.
I have now inserted the script as a device script for a USB hard drive and have set the drive to automount. This works very well so far, rsync is executed as soon as the hard drive is inserted.

However, if I then want to unmount the drive using the umount button, the script is restarted and the rsync starts all over again. At some point unraid ejects the disc and writes the path of the target internally full.

How can I prevent scripts from being executed again when unmounting?
I have also tried to integrate the unmount command directly into the script, but this has the same effect.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

1 hour ago, BigChris said:

I am still trying to use the great rsync script from @mgutt. Unfortunately I am failing a bit.
I have now inserted the script as a device script for a USB hard drive and have set the drive to automount. This works very well so far, rsync is executed as soon as the hard drive is inserted.

However, if I then want to unmount the drive using the umount button, the script is restarted and the rsync starts all over again. At some point unraid ejects the disc and writes the path of the target internally full.

How can I prevent scripts from being executed again when unmounting?
I have also tried to integrate the unmount command directly into the script, but this has the same effect.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

The device script is executed on many UD device events.  You need to lod the default script (click the 'Default' buttoin in the devices settings) and add your rsync command(s) to the proper area when a device is inserted and udev signals it ir installed and ready.

That section looks like this:

case $ACTION in
  'ADD' )
    /usr/local/emhttp/webGui/scripts/notify -e "Unraid Server Notice" -s "Unassigned Devices" -d "Device mounted" -i "normal"

if [ "$OWNER" = "udev" ]; then
        # do your hotplug stuff here
        sleep 3
    else
        # do your user initiated stuff here
        sleep 3
    fi
  ;;

On 1/24/2016 at 3:27 PM, tr0910 said:

At that time someone said that the xfs format laid down by this plugin was not unRaid array compatible.  Is this still true?

It should work. A disk loaded with data in UD and the put into the array should be mountable, but parity will have to be updated.

If you can provide more specifics and a diagnostics, I can look into what is going on.

Can we replace the ping check with showmount or something in the nfs protocol?

ICMP isn't part of the nfs or rpc protocol, i use a nfs service and it doesn't offer ICMP replies obviously as it's not part of the rfc.

I guess if I was to try to scrape a PR together, it should also use smbclient to validate that's online too.

Actually I can just mount it manually after it fails. woohoo :)

image.png.c405170e80419bc8715894a81e398ab2.png

Edited by quimnut

Rebuilt my UnRaid box (6.12.6) to make it bigger and stronger ;-) (heftier CPU, 64 gb ram, dual drive cache, dual nvme drive pool, and 10 drive array).  Wanting to transition it as my main NAS now instead of the backup.  I wish to create drive mappings from UnRaid to my OMV (Open Media Vault) NAS to set up rsync between the 2.  If I start the wizard to add a remote NFS share within UD Plus - it finds the OMV server, but when I try to scan for shares - or add them manually, I get nothing.  It says it may be a permission error, but no where am I prompted for any credentials.  Am I just being obtuse and missing some obvious step?

TIA

Edited by gibeaug
added UnRaid version info

New release of UD.  The significant changes are:

• Remove nchan from UD and use a Java timer to referesh the UD page.  Nchan was overkill for UD and was possibly contributing to nchan issues.
  • Made a change to the search for servers routine to prevent UD from scanning ports for SMB and NFS servers outside of the LAN range.  What I found is that this will happen occasionally when clicking the search for servers button causing the search for servers to go on for a very long time.  When this happens, the CPU usage will spike and stay at a high level until the scan completed, which could be days.  I recommend anyone experiencing this problem, update UD and then reboot.
  • Sometimes the search for servers would not find servers and sometimes woud find the same server more than once.
  • The 'Mount' button status of 'Mounting' and 'Unmounting has not been working for a log time and is now fixed.
  • The original Java code used in UD is quite dated.  Several unnused routines have been removed.  The code is updated and generally cleaned up.

Please ignore my post above - I am silly.  I realized I had not actually setup any specific NFS shares on the OMV box as we access everything via SMB/CIFS from our home network - and I assumed (there is that word again) that UD would find the generically base shares - once I realized my mistake - I created specific NFS shares and is good now.  

Apologies for the wasted bandwidth.

I've been having problems with remote shares not automounting (it's never worked, I've always had to hit the mount button). 

I'm rebuilding/upgraded one of the servers and it still won't automount.  I'm assuming I'm missing something somewhere, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.   The share is from my other unraid server, both are at 6.12.6 using the latest UD plugin.  

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

rivers1-diagnostics-20240112-1345.zip

30 minutes ago, broncosaddict said:

I've been having problems with remote shares not automounting (it's never worked, I've always had to hit the mount button). 

I'm rebuilding/upgraded one of the servers and it still won't automount.  I'm assuming I'm missing something somewhere, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.   The share is from my other unraid server, both are at 6.12.6 using the latest UD plugin.  

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Your network is not available when UD tries to auto mount remote shares:

Jan 12 13:40:30 rivers1 unassigned.devices: Cannot 'Auto Mount' Remote Shares.  Network not available!

UD waits for two minutes for the network to be alive.  It is taking longer than that.  Do you have a docker container in Unraid that could be either blocking or making the Internet unavailable until it is running?

1 hour ago, Gragorg said:

nstalled the new plugin today now I have an unassigned unmounted drive sdb that will not spin down.  If I spin it down it spins back up.  How can I roll back to last version?

Some questions:

• Are you clicking on the disk orb on the UD GUI to spin down the disk?
  • Does it have a file system?
  • Is it a ZFS formatted disk?
  • Did you also update Unraid?

Nothing has changed lately in UD that would cause this to happen.

You can't roll back.  We need to understand why it is spinning back up.

6 minutes ago, Gragorg said:

Yes clicking the orb to spin down.   The current filesystem is ZFS.  I have been on 6.12.6 since launch.  I swear it had remained spun down prior when it was not mounted.

I'm finding tht ZFS disks even have disk activity when unmounted.  Why don't you detach it in UD?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Your network is not available when UD tries to auto mount remote shares:

Jan 12 13:40:30 rivers1 unassigned.devices: Cannot 'Auto Mount' Remote Shares.  Network not available!

UD waits for two minutes for the network to be alive.  It is taking longer than that.  Do you have a docker container in Unraid that could be either blocking or making the Internet unavailable until it is running?

No dockers, docker's not even enabled.   No VM's, though it's enabled, have not created any.

Don't know if it matters, but I'm not using any of the onboard ethernet, I have a 10g NIC, with one direct connect to the other unraid server (same type 10g NiC card) and the other to network.

If the network was not up or was blocked, wouldn't that also block me from the unraid GUI?