Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

23 hours ago, dlandon said:

Do the following:

• Stop the array.
  • Unassign the parity drive.
  • Click the double arrows on the preclear UI.  This will remove the resume file so a preclear will not restart.
  • Re-assign the disk back to the array.
  • You should be able to delete the historical entry.
  • Start array.

The preclear is resuming itself on array start and it should not if it's assigned to the array.  I'll have to look into how this can be prevented.

Thanks! I'm currently running some file transfers as I moved the old parity disk into the array after the parity sync finished. Is it safe to leave as is until I'm finished with that? ie. Is my parity information actually accurate and safe?

1 hour ago, Renegade605 said:

Thanks! I'm currently running some file transfers as I moved the old parity disk into the array after the parity sync finished. Is it safe to leave as is until I'm finished with that? ie. Is my parity information actually accurate and safe?

Run a parity check when you are finished.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

You can disable the "Mount" button in the device settings.

..but then I cannot mount a disk to mnt/disks either.

So does this mean either all mounting points are enabled/ created by default when mount button is enabled or none if the button is disabled?

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Why? They don't take up any storage if you aren't using them.

Definitely not a huge issue. I was just wondering if it's normal to have those by default (even if they are not being used) or there is an option to disable them. Those rare moments when I am looking at /mnt directly would have been less cluttered, but again, I am fine with this.

41 minutes ago, olympia said:

Definitely not a huge issue. I was just wondering if it's normal to have those by default (even if they are not being used) or there is an option to disable them. Those rare moments when I am looking at /mnt directly would have been less cluttered, but again, I am fine with this.

Don't mount them and you'll not see them in /mnt/.  If they are mounted, the have to show in /mnt/.

I'm just getting started setting up my unraid box, and I want to transfer media from an old synology NAS to it. I installed Unassigned Devices, and was able to find and add my old NFS share. But when I mount it, all of the uid/gid are 4294967294. If I try mounting directly with an fstab entry and running `mount -a` the same result happens, so it's definitely a configuration I just don't know how to make happen in unraid.

I can confirm the UIDs/GIDs match in /etc/passwd and /etc/group on both unraid and synology. And when I query `nfsidmap -d` I get my expected NFS domain. I haven't been able to figure this one out.

I noticed `/sys/module/nfs/parameters/nfs4_disable_idmapping` was Y, so I echo'd N and ran `nfsidmap -c` along with umounting and mounting again.

Strangely, on a client, I have mounted both this old NFS share and a new one I created in unraid and they both show uid/gid correctly. This leads me to think I have some missing client configuration in unraid, but I can't figure it out.

Edit 2024-02-25:

If anyone else runs into this, here's how I fixed it.

I added an `/etc/idmapd.conf` file that declares my domain, as well as this file to resolve ids:

cat /etc/request-key.d/id_resolver.conf
create    id_resolver    *    *    /usr/sbin/nfsidmap -t 600 %k %d

and now user IDs are resolving correctly. To get groups to resolve, it turns out I have to make these manually, so I have a few `groupadd` commands in my go script.

Edited by carsonb
Further troubleshooting on my own
38 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Don't mount them and you'll not see them in /mnt/.  If they are mounted, the have to show in /mnt/.

I mean I mount them under /mnt/disks and I don't use any of the other mounting points: addons, remotes and rootshare.

If I understand correctly, if I mount a disk to /mnt/disks, then the other mounting points will also be created and no way to control that.

Again, I am fine with this, I just wanted to check if there is any option I missed regarding those.

Edited by olympia
20 minutes ago, olympia said:

I mean I mount them under /mnt/disks and I don't use any of the other mounting points: addons, remotes and rootshare.

If I understand correctly, if I mount a disk to /mnt/disks, then the other mounting points will also be created and no way to control that.

Again, I am fine with this, I just wanted to check if there is any option I missed regarding those.

If you are talking about /mnt/remotes, /mnt/rootshare, and /mnt/addons, those cannot be changed or hidden.

If you are talking about /mnt/remotes, /mnt/rootshare, and /mnt/addons, those cannot be changed or hidden.

Yes, I was talking about those :)

Thank you for confirming and apologies if I was not clear enough with my question.

Hi, I have a question about Unassigned Devices and the unraid VM engine. Can anyone confirm if I were to mount a flash drive through Unassigned Devices and use that drive as the primary vdisk for my VM, everything related to the VM will just be on that flash drive? Or will there be files related to the VM elsewhere in the array?

4 hours ago, hoeman said:

Hi, I have a question about Unassigned Devices and the unraid VM engine. Can anyone confirm if I were to mount a flash drive through Unassigned Devices and use that drive as the primary vdisk for my VM, everything related to the VM will just be on that flash drive? Or will there be files related to the VM elsewhere in the array?

The VM config (the XML you create/edit on the VM page) and any NVRAM files are always within unraid's libvirt.img.

If you're asking if you'd be able to run that VM somewhere else the answer is yes but you have to create the VM at that place and pass it the disk.

And if that disk is going to be used exclusively for that VM you'd want to pass it through to the VM directly instead of mounting it via UD.

Edited by Kilrah
7 hours ago, hoeman said:

Can anyone confirm if I were to mount a flash drive through Unassigned Devices and use that drive as the primary vdisk for my VM

Don't run a VM from a flash drive.  Performance will be awful and you'l wear out the flash drive in short order.

2 hours ago, hoeman said:

I'm considering running TAILS as a VM hence my question. Basically, I wish to maintain the "everything kept on the flash drive and gone once unplugged" aspect of the OS. 

There is not enough performance on a flash drive to run a VM, and any USB connected device will suffer from performance and reliability issues.

SMB remote share - mount times out after 10s - works manually - setting ignored

After changing the password (see last bug report), I tried again - and failed again. 😞

Setting: Unassigned devices - remote SMB share - created successfully - shares on the server could be loaded - credentials ok.

When I click Mount, the plugin tries it four times with SMB 3.1.1, 3.0, 2.0 and 1.0 (default).

Part of the log: unassigned.devices: Warning: shell_exec(/sbin/mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,relatime,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=2.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_NAS-***_Installation' '//NAS-005/Installation' '/mnt/remotes/NAS-***_Installation' 2>&1) took longer than 10s!

Settings - Unassigned Devices - Remote Share Mount Wait Time: 30

"This is the time in seconds to wait before mounting remote shares when the array is first started."

I can manually mount the share by creating /tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_NAS-005_Installation file with my credentials, then the /mnt/remotes/NAS-005_Installation dir and calling

mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,relatime,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=3.1.1
,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_NAS-***_Installation' '//NAS-005/Installation' '/mnt/remotes/NAS-***_Installation'

(It's obviously not NAS-***, name is anonymized).

This tooks just about 10 to 11 seconds...

Shouldn't the "Remote Share Mount Wait Time" set the timeout when mounting?

Can I modify the timeout somewhere else?

Unassigned Devices - SMB Mount - Password contains + sign

I created a SMB mount using Unassigned Devices. I entered server, username, password and left domain empty. Then I chose one of the offered shares. The list was successfully build, thus the account credentials were used.

Later I tried to mount the share with no success.

I got the following block of rows in the logs four times: once for SMB 3.1.1, SMB 3.0, SMB 2.0 and SMB 1.0 (default):

Feb 27 09:56:23 server-*** unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//NAS-***/Installation' using SMB 2.0 protocol.
Feb 27 09:56:23 server--*** unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,relatime,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=2.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_NAS-***-Installation' '//NAS-***/Installation' '/mnt/remotes/NAS-***-Installation'
Feb 27 09:56:23 server--*** kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount \\NAS-***\Installation
Feb 27 09:56:33 server--*** kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -512
Feb 27 09:56:33 server--*** unassigned.devices: Warning: shell_exec(/sbin/mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,relatime,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=2.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_NAS-005-Installation' '//NAS-***/Installation' '/mnt/remotes/NAS-***-Installation' 2>&1) took longer than 10s!

The file '/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_NAS-***-Installation' contains the data entered while I created the SMB share.

But where my password contains a + sign, there was a space in the file.

1 hour ago, tbahn said:

Shouldn't the "Remote Share Mount Wait Time" set the timeout when mounting?

That timer is the time to wait before starting to mount the remote shares.  This insures the network is ready, it has nothing to do with the time to mount shares.

1 hour ago, tbahn said:

Can I modify the timeout somewhere else?

No, it's hard coded.

Post your disgnostics so I can be sure to come up with the correct solution.

Hey @dlandon, I made a bug report for this but it occurs to me it might be an unassigned devices plugin issue. I was a bit panicked as I wrote the bug report and troubleshooted in real time, but the fact that it was the mounting step that seems to have caused the problem makes me think that, now that I have a clear head.

All the details here: 

36 minutes ago, Renegade605 said:

Hey @dlandon, I made a bug report for this but it occurs to me it might be an unassigned devices plugin issue. I was a bit panicked as I wrote the bug report and troubleshooted in real time, but the fact that it was the mounting step that seems to have caused the problem makes me think that, now that I have a clear head.

All the details here: 

I'm not seeing how this is a UD problem.  Enlighten me.

I'm not seeing how this is a UD problem.  Enlighten me.

I'm really not sure either way. It seemed like nothing bad happened until I mounted unassigned disks that were formally array disks. Since all the data was still on the actual array disks, I thought maybe the mounting masked their contents temporarily.

I've seen similar behaviour when mounting a ZFS dataset to the same location as an existing directory (although in that case, unmounting the dataset always reveals the contents, while it didn't in this case).

If you don't think it could be related, no worries. If you do, I'm willing to help troubleshoot. Whichever, just thought I'd mention it.

Edited by Renegade605

Is this a plugin issue or an unraid issue? Is it even a bug, or just my ocd
I'm on .18 and UD 2024.02.17, I just put in 2 drives to preclear.. Noticed the lower vs upper case - pre array start
once the array is started, They both become uppercase like everything else

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 12.24.21 PM.png

Edited by G Speed
19 minutes ago, G Speed said:

Is this a plugin issue or an unraid issue? Is it even a bug, or just my ocd

Neither and it's not a bug.

Unraid assigns unassigned disks the 'devX' designation.  UD changes the 'devX' to 'Dev X' to make it a little clearer.  Given a little time and UD should update the 'dev1' on the GUI.