dlandon

Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

4917 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I have upgraded to Beta 35 and was transfering some files from a drive via krusader with the drive being mounted via unassigned devices. and that worked great. unmounted the device added more files to the drived from another pc, re added the drive to unraid and it shows up in unassigned devices, but when I click mount it tries and the just come back to the option to mount. 

I have tried this with several drives. the can connect the firast time, but once unmounted and removed I and then re added it cant be remounted. 

This is what the log shows when tryiong to remount a drive again

Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdn1'...
Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdn1' '/mnt/disks/WD_easystore_264D'
Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER kernel: XFS (sdn1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID 4e86ed38-0af8-4794-9635-dd5554fa7f1a - can't mount
Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdn1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/WD_easystore_264D: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdn1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER unassigned.devices: Partition 'WD easystore_264D' could not be mounted.
Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdn'.

6 minutes ago, almulder said:

So I have upgraded to Beta 35 and was transfering some files from a drive via krusader with the drive being mounted via unassigned devices. and that worked great. unmounted the device added more files to the drived from another pc, re added the drive to unraid and it shows up in unassigned devices, but when I click mount it tries and the just come back to the option to mount. 

I have tried this with several drives. the can connect the firast time, but once unmounted and removed I and then re added it cant be remounted. 

This is what the log shows when tryiong to remount a drive again

Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdn1'...
Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdn1' '/mnt/disks/WD_easystore_264D'
Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER kernel: XFS (sdn1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID 4e86ed38-0af8-4794-9635-dd5554fa7f1a - can't mount
Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdn1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/WD_easystore_264D: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdn1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER unassigned.devices: Partition 'WD easystore_264D' could not be mounted.
Nov 20 13:09:49 TOWER unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdn'.

Go to the UD settings and you can change the UUID for that drive so it is not a duplicate.

Ok I went into settings and clicked chnage UUID and got the following in the log. (UUID not changed). Tried removing drive, the added it back and then tried to chnage uuid.

Nov 20 13:22:15 TOWER unassigned.devices: Changing disk '/dev/sdn1' UUID. Result: ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to be replayed. Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before re-running xfs_admin. If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use the xfs_repair -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair. Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount of the filesystem before doing this.

On 11/20/2020 at 4:24 PM, almulder said:

Ok I went into settings and clicked chnage UUID and got the following in the log. (UUID not changed). Tried removing drive, the added it back and then tried to chnage uuid.

Nov 20 13:22:15 TOWER unassigned.devices: Changing disk '/dev/sdn1' UUID. Result: ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to be replayed. Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before re-running xfs_admin. If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use the xfs_repair -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair. Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount of the filesystem before doing this.

Click on the + icon to show the partitions, then click on the check mark to check the file system.  See if that doesn't fix the file system.

New release of UD:

• Change mount point icons to something more meaningful.  A pencil icon will show when the mount point can be changed.  A file folder icon will show when the mount point can be used to browse the device.
  • The mounting of remote SMB shares has been changed to first trying to mount the remote share without the protocol (vers=) being specified.  If that fails the mount protocol is specified in the following order - SMB3, SMB2, and then SMB1 (if netbios is enabled).
  • Encrypted disks will show the file system when mounted.

On 4/17/2020 at 4:11 AM, wuftymerguftyguff said:

Hi,

Thanks for your attention.

I understand but what I am seeing is slightly different.  Forcing smb v1 does not work either.

If there is ANY value in the vers= option then I can’t write.

If I take the mount command from syslog and just remove the vers option it negotiates the highest compatible smb version with the server and I can write.

Jeff

This was posted some time ago - sorry for the slow solution.  I have released a new version of UD that should solve this problem.  When a remote SMB share is first mounted now, the protocol (vers=) is not specified.  I'm finding that a lot of remote shares will mount this way and the server will determine the most secure SMB version.  If that fails, the SMB protocol is specified and another mount attempted in the following order - SMB3, SMB2, then SMB1 (if netbios is enabled).

Please update and try again.

I did connect an external USB-HDD via Unassigend Devices to my unRaid.

In the Settings i set "Spin down disks?" to YES.

Does this also apply to USB-Disks? My disk is always over 40° C...  

49 minutes ago, saber1 said:

I did connect an external USB-HDD via Unassigend Devices to my unRaid.

In the Settings i set "Spin down disks?" to YES.

Does this also apply to USB-Disks? My disk is always over 40° C...  

Yes, but some USB disks won't spin down.

The latest version won't mount my SMB1 share. I think it might not be passing sec=ntlm but I don't see a mount command in the logs. Any way to debug it?

I've tried removing/readding the share with Force all SMB remote shares to SMB v1 set to Yes (as I had it) and No, neither works.

13 minutes ago, CS01-HS said:

The latest version won't mount my SMB1 share. I think it might not be passing sec=ntlm but I don't see a mount command in the logs. Any way to debug it?

I've tried removing/readding the share with Force all SMB remote shares to SMB v1 set to Yes (as I had it) and No, neither works.

Post diagnostics.

Nice, thank you so much.

Do you mind telling me how my diagnostics helped? Maybe a hidden UD log that might help me in the future.

1 hour ago, CS01-HS said:

Nice, thank you so much.

Do you mind telling me how my diagnostics helped? Maybe a hidden UD log that might help me in the future.

This:

Nov 23 11:40:15 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//10.0.1.10/Data' using SMB1 protocol.
Nov 23 11:40:15 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=1.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_Data' '//10.0.1.10/Data' '/mnt/disks/time-capsule'

It's missing 'sec=ntlm'.

Ha! I saw that and thought "how could I miss that in the logs?" but I get continuous "bogus file nlink value" cifs errors with SMB1 so by habit I end every syslog tail with 

| grep -vi 'cifs'

which of course removes it. I'm glad my stupidity wasn't an obstacle. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

It's missing 'sec=ntlm'.

I updated, tested and confirmed it now passes that parameter but only if Force all SMB remote shares to SMB v1 = Yes. It doesn't pass it if it degrades to SMB1 after failing higher versions. Not a problem if that's by design.

Nov 23 17:59:31 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//10.0.1.1/Data' using SMB1 protocol.
Nov 23 17:59:31 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=1.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_Data' '//10.0.1.1/Data' '/mnt/disks/time-capsule'

1 hour ago, CS01-HS said:

I updated, tested and confirmed it now passes that parameter but only if Force all SMB remote shares to SMB v1 = Yes. It doesn't pass it if it degrades to SMB1 after failing higher versions. Not a problem if that's by design.

Nov 23 17:59:31 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//10.0.1.1/Data' using SMB1 protocol.
Nov 23 17:59:31 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=1.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_Data' '//10.0.1.1/Data' '/mnt/disks/time-capsule'

I've updated UD and removed the force SMB v1 setting.  There is no reason for it any longer.