Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

1 minute ago, DarphBobo said:

Because every one that's in a position to help doesn't necessarily know what to look for.  Diagnostics covers it all.  Besides, there's nothing within diagnostics that is a privacy issue.  If there is something which you're not comfortable with posting, then issue a feature request to have it removed.

Thanks for the explanation and the suggestion.

I continue to disagree with the assessment regarding the diagnostics content. And we have been there before (you may want to go back in this thread and look it up). Its just not worth going in circles.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I don't feel it is appropriate form me to enter into a back and forth with you on this forum while I try to figure out what your problem is.

I see what you mean. I suggest to do this using private messages on this forum.

6 minutes ago, Squid said:

What exactly do you disagree with?

two things:

(1) the data is not containing any names, but the combination of hardware and setup choices makes each configuration unique as thus trackable

(2) the latter cannot be easily circumvented by replacing strings without sacrificing possibly crucial detail

privacy always comes at a cost and can be achieved:

instead of providing unnecessary data one can reveal necessary pieces of data step by step or to describe the idea what to look for to user so letting them do the actual work themselves, which also helps for future situations as the user learns how to do it

but that's just my opinion.

Edited by b0m541

I am having an issue with connecting to an NFS share

Unraid Version: 6.9.2 (trial)

Plugin Version: 2021.05.15 

The NFS share is an unauthenticated share setup on Windows server 2019

If I run the command `mount IP_HERE:D /mnt/remotes/test` it mounts fine 

But when I use the plugin there are absolutely no logs. The Mount button flashes for less than a second and then goes back to the orange color. In contrast when I try an smb share I see logs such as "kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount"

So I am at a loss as to why there is not even a log message that says it is attempting to mount the nfs share.

in samba_mount.cfg is something like this

[IP_HERE:D]
protocol = "NFS"
ip = "IP_HERE"
path = "D"
user = ""
domain = ""
pass = ".......=="
share = "D"
mountpoint = "Dtest"

I would attach diagnostics but as I stated above there are no messages in the log when I try to mount an NFS share.

Edited by l92
spelling
7 hours ago, l92 said:

I am having an issue with connecting to an NFS share

Unraid Version: 6.9.2 (trial)

Plugin Version: 2021.05.15 

The NFS share is an unauthenticated share setup on Windows server 2019

If I run the command `mount IP_HERE:D /mnt/remotes/test` it mounts fine 

But when I use the plugin there are absolutely no logs. The Mount button flashes for less than a second and then goes back to the orange color. In contrast when I try an smb share I see logs such as "kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount"

So I am at a loss as to why there is not even a log message that says it is attempting to mount the nfs share.

in samba_mount.cfg is something like this

[IP_HERE:D]
protocol = "NFS"
ip = "IP_HERE"
path = "D"
user = ""
domain = ""
pass = ".......=="
share = "D"
mountpoint = "Dtest"

I would attach diagnostics but as I stated above there are no messages in the log when I try to mount an NFS share.

Post diagnostics.  There are other things to look at.

question about an NVMe drive that is not showing up in atop. Goal is to watch I/O and get stats. Said drive is running on an PCIe adapter. Drive works fine. Shows in the unraid GUI. Any thoughts why it's not showing in atop?

I've tried expanding the rows of LVM and DSK devices. It's just not there, in atop

this drive:

dev2.PNG.98c5988ef94556c0d006bbee6ea22af6.PNG

3 hours ago, adminmat said:

question about an NVMe drive that is not showing up in atop. Goal is to watch I/O and get stats. Said drive is running on an PCIe adapter. Drive works fine. Shows in the unraid GUI. Any thoughts why it's not showing in atop?

I've tried expanding the rows of LVM and DSK devices. It's just not there, in atop

this drive:

dev2.PNG.98c5988ef94556c0d006bbee6ea22af6.PNG

That is an atop issue.  UD has noting to do with it.

42 minutes ago, dlandon said:

That is an atop issue.  UD has noting to do with it.

Got it. Wish I knew how to show that.

Well looks like my previous issue is back. I unmounted two 8TB  Easystore USB drives. When I reconnected them they showed up as sdi and sdj. Were previously Dev 3 and Dev 4.  Now when I click on the device name (sdi, sdj) no information shows up. No attributes, no Capabilities, no SMART info etc. This is for both the drives. But I can them with smartctl. It briefly worked after I updated to 6.9.2. Thoughts?

sdisdj.PNG.0d143d9c7271c8e4047a193808ea5e18.PNG

sssssss.PNG

12 minutes ago, adminmat said:

Got it. Wish I knew how to show that.

Well looks like my previous issue is back. I unmounted two 8TB  Easystore USB drives. When I reconnected them they showed up as sdi and sdj. Were previously Dev 3 and Dev 4.  Now when I click on the device name (sdi, sdj) no information shows up. No attributes, no Capabilities, no SMART info etc. This is for both the drives. But I can them with smartctl. It briefly worked after I updated to 6.9.2. Thoughts?

sdisdj.PNG.0d143d9c7271c8e4047a193808ea5e18.PNG

sssssss.PNG

Be sure you have the latest version of UD.  Click on the two arrows pointing to each other in the upper right of the UD page.  This will trigger a udev refresh on the devices that might straighten out the problem with the disk designations sdi and sdj.

You can't view SMART attributes/capabilities on a spun down disk on 6.9.  That's what 'Can not read...' means.

8 hours ago, dlandon said:

Be sure you have the latest version of UD.  Click on the two arrows pointing to each other in the upper right of the UD page.  This will trigger a udev refresh on the devices that might straighten out the problem with the disk designations sdi and sdj.

You can't view SMART attributes/capabilities on a spun down disk on 6.9.  That's what 'Can not read...' means.

UD is up to date.

Hit refresh in the UD section of the Main page.  (Got Success notification)

Tried un-mounting and remounting

Un-mounting disconnecting, reconnecting mounting

Drives are definitely spun up as I moved a test file in both to check (ball is green)

after that still says can not read attributes / capabilities for both disks. still shows sdi, sdj.

if I click Download smart report it just turns that page black.

I am getting drive temp, read / write speeds capacity, usage.

what should I try next?

Edit: Another thing to note is although I have these drives mapped to a Docker container, and the mapping has been working fine for a week... the Container can no longer see these two drives.

Edit: Reboot fixed it.

Edited by adminmat
11 hours ago, adminmat said:

what should I try next?

I suspect that Linux/udev is not recognizing the disk as having been removed.  That's why it is assigning new disk designations (sdX) when you plug it back in.  This confuses Unraid so it is not understood as an unassigned disk; that's why you don't see the Dev X assigned to the disk.

If this disk is being installed in a USB3 port, try a USB 2 port.

Reboot sorts this all out, but it is not the most desirable solution.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

I suspect that Linux/udev is not recognizing the disk as having been removed.  That's why it is assigning new disk designations (sdX) when you plug it back in.  This confuses Unraid so it is not understood as an unassigned disk; that's why you don't see the Dev X assigned to the disk.

If this disk is being installed in a USB3 port, try a USB 2 port.

Reboot sorts this all out, but it is not the most desirable solution.

Thanks for the explanation about not being recognized as removed.

In the testing above I did have one disk in USB 2.0 and one in 3.0. I'm using the ports in the back of the motherboard (I/O shield) I'm noticing some weird transfer speeds back there with the 3.0s. It's running at ~ 90MB/s. I'll try the front header ports when I get a chance. Waiting on an adapter to re-rout them to the back. Will report back. 

This is becoming quite an issue. When adding another external USB drive, this time to the USB ports in the front the disk shows up in the GUI as Dev 4 and given a (sdf) with mount option. It will disappear in the GUI and reappear at random, over and over. It spams the log with:

2021-05-23T07:49:14-04:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'My_Book_25EE_35504A42374A3542', mountpoint 'My_Book' is not set to auto mount.

If I click unmounted then re-mount it will show up no longer as Dev4 (as previously experienced) and can not be used in unraid as intended.  Now I have to re-boot every time I add an Unassigned drive. This will not work for my use case.

Is there a way to disable UD so it can't see new disks added but keep the disks I have in UD as is? Then I can just add disks via CLI? Will this conflict with the fstab settings?

See disk log:

Edited by adminmat
1 hour ago, adminmat said:

Is there a way to disable UD so it can't see new disks added but keep the disks I have in UD as is?

No.

It appears you have flakey USB ports, or disk drives.  udev keeps seeing the disk as being installed, and UD wants to mount it.  Just getting UD to ignore the disk won't fix the underlying problem.

Have you checked for a BIOS update?

Are you connecting the USB devices through a USB hub?  That can be an issue.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

No.

It appears you have flakey USB ports, or disk drives.  udev keeps seeing the disk as being installed, and UD wants to mount it.  Just getting UD to ignore the disk won't fix the underlying problem.

Have you checked for a BIOS update?

Are you connecting the USB devices through a USB hub?  That can be an issue.

I'm thinking USB issue. I want to move the Drive getting the I/O errors to a USB 2.0 port but then i have to re-boot unRAID.

Howdy, I noticed the last few days that UD does not seem to be assigning labels to BTRFS formatted disks properly when I was moving some drives to another system.

The BTRFS label is just blank on them?

It would be really nice if the BTRFS label could be set to the same as the mount point in UD.

To set the BTRFS label is really simple:

btrfs filesystem label /mount/point new_label

To view the existing label is the same command minus the new label

btrfs filesystem label /mount/point

Having the label is really nice for recovery operation and the like where you have a bunch of disks and no way to easily identify them in the system. Ubuntu also uses the label as the default mount point so really eases things.

40 minutes ago, dlandon said:

It's working for me.

Ok, just did some more testing. Sure enough if making a normal BTRFS partition the label works fine. The issue seems to be when encryption is used.

Guessing that it has to update the label after the encryption is unlocked? Possibly do a quick check after mounting to see if the label is correct and update if not?

18 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

Ok, just did some more testing. Sure enough if making a normal BTRFS partition the label works fine. The issue seems to be when encryption is used.

Guessing that it has to update the label after the encryption is unlocked? Possibly do a quick check after mounting to see if the label is correct and update if not?

When I did the change to incorporate the writing of the label, I didn't find anything about the file system label, only the luks label of an encrypted disk.

45 minutes ago, dlandon said:

When I did the change to incorporate the writing of the label, I didn't find anything about the file system label, only the luks label of an encrypted disk.

Yeah, the BTRFS still applies once luks is unlocked. Same command/label as an unencrypted drive, just "under" the luks.

The luks label is not really used for much that I can tell, anytime I mount a drive on another system it only uses the btrfs label/details. The luks is just unlocked and nothing else is really done with it that I can tell.

56 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

Yeah, the BTRFS still applies once luks is unlocked. Same command/label as an unencrypted drive, just "under" the luks.

The luks label is not really used for much that I can tell, anytime I mount a drive on another system it only uses the btrfs label/details. The luks is just unlocked and nothing else is really done with it that I can tell.

Then I have to find out the file system - btrfs or xfs.  I don't think I can find out the file system until it is mounted.  I'll have to put some time into experimenting with it.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, dlandon said:

Then I have to find out the file system - btrfs or xfs.  I don't think I can find out the file system until it is mounted.

Unraid already does something similar when you for example create a new pool, might be able to use the same thing:

May 24 10:37:40 Tower11 emhttpd: shcmd (5636): mkdir -p /mnt/wd 
May 24 10:37:42 Tower11 emhttpd: shcmd (5637): blkid -t TYPE='xfs' /dev/sdw1 &> /dev/null 
May 24 10:37:42 Tower11 emhttpd: shcmd (5637): exit status: 2 
May 24 10:37:42 Tower11 emhttpd: shcmd (5638): blkid -t TYPE='btrfs' /dev/sdw1 &> /dev/null 
May 24 10:37:42 Tower11 emhttpd: shcmd (5639): mount -t btrfs -o noatime,space_cache=v2 /dev/sdw1 /mnt/wd

10 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Unraid already does something similar when you for example create a new pool, might be able to use the same thing:

May 24 10:37:40 Tower11 emhttpd: shcmd (5636): mkdir -p /mnt/wd 
May 24 10:37:42 Tower11 emhttpd: shcmd (5637): blkid -t TYPE='xfs' /dev/sdw1 &> /dev/null 
May 24 10:37:42 Tower11 emhttpd: shcmd (5637): exit status: 2 
May 24 10:37:42 Tower11 emhttpd: shcmd (5638): blkid -t TYPE='btrfs' /dev/sdw1 &> /dev/null 
May 24 10:37:42 Tower11 emhttpd: shcmd (5639): mount -t btrfs -o noatime,space_cache=v2 /dev/sdw1 /mnt/wd

Don't know how that's working.  This disk was formatted by Unraid:

/dev/sdg1: UUID="0cd04ece-dfe7-4c59-bff0-5ae6ef294aef" TYPE="crypto_LUKS"

I have figured out how to apply an encrypted file system label.  It will be in the next release.

• Like 1