Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

We need someway to pass the APFS volume number in to be included in the mount command. 

I thought my drive was not mounting correctly because I couldn't find any files, but it turns out it correctly mounted an empty volume. 

Here is the command I used to access my files, since selecting the volume is not presently possible:

/usr/bin/apfs-fuse -o uid=99,gid=100,allow_other,vol=1 /dev/sda /tmp/apfs-mount-folder/

The vol=1 specifies volume #1 (the second volume in the container)

Edited by 10101
typo correction
16 minutes ago, 10101 said:

We need someway to pass the APFS volume number in to be included in the mount command. 

I thought my drive was not mounting correctly because I couldn't find any files, but it turns out it correctly mounted an empty volume. 

Here is the command I used to access my files, since selecting the volume is not presently possible:

/usr/bin/apfs-fuse -o uid=99,gid=100,allow_other,vol=1 /dev/sda /tmp/apfs-mount-folder/

Is it always 1, or does it need to be specified for each disk/partition?

Future Request for next Unraid or Update

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i found an issue with  Unassigned Devices, and script file

if you have 2 hard drives with the Same Label  say   "test"  it buggers up    it will rename  "test" to   "test_2"  

i dont use the 2 drives at the same time i  use it for my sister to swap her backups she lives far away so when i meet her  we swapp hard drives

and both are labeled  example  "test"

for windows it isnt a problem but i guess for unraid you cant do it?

so when i shove in  it renames folder to  "test_2"

as i use a script to move the files off the drive from  "test"  but when it automaticlly renames to "test_2"  it causes issues

but i noticed  there could be a fix for this

the drive is linked to a scripted labeled of the Label header

but it also be handy

if  Drive Serial number  be the script file

so you could have multiple Same Drive names  of "test" without issues

but maybe i asking blood from a stone.. but figured id ask..

but i guess for time being either i rename the label each time i swap out

or maybe  write script to handle both labeled drives..

but i figured id ask anyways

18 hours ago, comet424 said:

Future Request for next Unraid or Update

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i found an issue with  Unassigned Devices, and script file

if you have 2 hard drives with the Same Label  say   "test"  it buggers up    it will rename  "test" to   "test_2"  

i dont use the 2 drives at the same time i  use it for my sister to swap her backups she lives far away so when i meet her  we swapp hard drives

and both are labeled  example  "test"

for windows it isnt a problem but i guess for unraid you cant do it?

so when i shove in  it renames folder to  "test_2"

as i use a script to move the files off the drive from  "test"  but when it automaticlly renames to "test_2"  it causes issues

but i noticed  there could be a fix for this

the drive is linked to a scripted labeled of the Label header

but it also be handy

if  Drive Serial number  be the script file

so you could have multiple Same Drive names  of "test" without issues

but maybe i asking blood from a stone.. but figured id ask..

but i guess for time being either i rename the label each time i swap out

or maybe  write script to handle both labeled drives..

but i figured id ask anyways

The 'Script File' defaults to the mountpoint.  When you first install a disk and create a script, the 'Script File' is the disk serial number.  If you change the mountpoint and then create a script, it will be the current mountpoint.  You can change the 'Script File' anytime, so it is unique to the disk.

On 5/12/2021 at 6:51 PM, 10101 said:

I've added a 'Volume' setting in the device settings for an apfs formatted partition so you can set the volume to mount.

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The 'Script File' defaults to the mountpoint.  When you first install a disk and create a script, the 'Script File' is the disk serial number.  If you change the mountpoint and then create a script, it will be the current mountpoint.  You can change the 'Script File' anytime, so it is unique to the disk.

i not sure?  what i have is  

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/test.sh

and 

when i swap drives i get

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/test_2.sh

so how do i fix it so its drive specific?    i did try formating the disk and then changing the label  but doesnt matter

i still get test.sh for the drive label name  and each time i swap i get test_2 or back to test.sh

or do i delete unassigned.devices folder?  

3 minutes ago, comet424 said:

i not sure?  what i have is  

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/test.sh

and 

when i swap drives i get

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/test_2.sh

so how do i fix it so its drive specific?    i did try formating the disk and then changing the label  but doesnt matter

i still get test.sh for the drive label name  and each time i swap i get test_2 or back to test.sh

or do i delete unassigned.devices folder?  

Change the script name in the settings.

and on my other unraid   i get 

Disk Serial: WDC_WDS100T2B0A-00SM50_200802A003DE ()

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/.sh

Disk Serial: ST95005620AS_5YX1SAFX ()

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/System_Reserved.sh

but i figured what i get is

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/ST95005620AS_5YX1SAFX.sh

and in that file would mount the test folder

I have a problem where the unassigned device SMB mapping "breaks" 

image.thumb.png.74701d888bc7a29caa927d0fb01a0fab.png

When this happens my dockers that have to copy files over to this share fail and causes issues. For the life of me I don't know why it breaks or how to make the connection more stable. Doing a Unmount and Remount does not fix it either. I can remove the share and re-add but then it goes blank again after a few hours. 

I have 3 unraid servers and the server that has the shared folder is browser master and all the others have the option off making them slaves. Is there any other way that I can tell my dockers a remote location or have a stable connection to the server?

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, emuhack said:

I have a problem where the unassigned device SMB mapping "breaks" 

image.thumb.png.74701d888bc7a29caa927d0fb01a0fab.png

When this happens my dockers that have to copy files over to this share fail and causes issues. For the life of me I don't know why it breaks or how to make the connection more stable. Doing a Unmount and Remount does not fix it either. I can remove the share and re-add but then it goes blank again after a few hours. 

I have 3 unraid servers and the server that has the shared folder is browser master and all the others have the option off making them slaves. Is there any other way that I can tell my dockers a remote location or have a stable connection to the server?

Thanks!

Post diagnostics.

1 hour ago, emuhack said:

The first thing you should do before requesting help is to be sure your plugins are all up to date.  You have a January 2021 version installed.  The issue you are seeing has been fixed.  Please update UD.

44 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The first thing you should do before requesting help is to be sure your plugins are all up to date.  You have a January 2021 version installed.  The issue you are seeing has been fixed.  Please update UD.

My apologies... I have updated all the plugin on all 3 servers and will test over the next few hours. 

Thanks! 

8 hours ago, dlandon said:

I have updated and it is still happening, but it seems to happen after I start a docker container that has that path linked in the config? Attached are the diag

dellblade-diagnostics-20210517-0040.zip

4 hours ago, emuhack said:

I have updated and it is still happening, but it seems to happen after I start a docker container that has that path linked in the config? Attached are the diag

Start by sorting out the issues from Fix Common Problems:

May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems Version 2021.04.11
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Plugin Update Check not enabled
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Update Check not enabled
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: disk1 (Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_256GB_S251NXAGC07523E) is an SSD.
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: disk2 (Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_256GB_S251NXAGC07528T) is an SSD.
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: disk3 (Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_256GB_S251NX0H559991M) is an SSD.
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Share CHIA is set for both included (disk3,disk4) and excluded (disk1,disk2) disks
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Docker application Plex-Media-Server has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option
May 16 12:34:05 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Share CHIA has disk4 set in its included disk settings
May 16 12:34:05 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Other Warning: Background notifications not enabled
May 16 12:34:05 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Error: No root password set

I have a large external USB SSD. When it is formatted wit exFAT and I connect it, it is detected by Unassigned Drives, but the mount button is greyed out. If I configure Automount and re-connect the SSD, it will be mounted. If I write something to the SSD I am not able to unmount it, the unmount button seems not to be able to unmount it. The logs are empty when clicking the logs button. There were a lot of writes going on, although I termined the Krusader container which I used to copy something onto the SSD. I have set Included folders in Folder Caching to not include /mnt/disks.

If I format the SSD using NTFS and have not enable Automount then I am able to mount it clicking the "mount" button. However, the problem with not being able to unmount it is also there with NTFS.

lsof +D /mnt/disks/myssd returns empty.

Any ideas?

3 minutes ago, b0m541 said:

I have a large external USB SSD. When it is formatted wit exFAT and I connect it, it is detected by Unassigned Drives, but the mount button is greyed out. If I configure Automount and re-connect the SSD, it will be mounted. If I write something to the SSD I am not able to unmount it, the unmount button seems not to be able to unmount it. The logs are empty when clicking the logs button. There were a lot of writes going on, although I termined the Krusader container which I used to copy something onto the SSD. I have set Included folders in Folder Caching to not include /mnt/disks.

If I format the SSD using NTFS and have not enable Automount then I am able to mount it clicking the "mount" button. However, the problem with not being able to unmount it is also there with NTFS.

lsof +D /mnt/disks/myssd returns empty.

Any ideas?

Post diagnostics.

Actually I was looking at the script log (empty), but the disk log says:

unraid unassigned.devices: Unmounting '/dev/sdl1'.
unraid unassigned.devices: Unmount cmd: /sbin/umount '/dev/sdl1' 2>&1
unraid unassigned.devices: Unmount of '/dev/sdl1' failed: 'umount: /mnt/disks/USB-2T-Vids: not mounted. '

Then why would the unmount button be shown, shouldn't the mount button be shown instead?

Also although destructive mode is enabled, there a no buttons to format the SSD.

Edited by b0m541
59 minutes ago, b0m541 said:

Actually I was looking at the script log (empty), but the disk log says:

unraid unassigned.devices: Unmounting '/dev/sdl1'.
unraid unassigned.devices: Unmount cmd: /sbin/umount '/dev/sdl1' 2>&1
unraid unassigned.devices: Unmount of '/dev/sdl1' failed: 'umount: /mnt/disks/USB-2T-Vids: not mounted. '

I can't help without diagnostics.

1 hour ago, b0m541 said:

Also although destructive mode is enabled, there a no buttons to format the SSD.

Do you have Unassigned Devices Plus installed?  You need that to format disks.

10 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I can't help without diagnostics.

Do you have Unassigned Devices Plus installed?  You need that to format disks.

diagnostics: We won't discuss this again as we did some time ago. I still fail to see why someone would insist on a full overshooting dataset without being willing or able to say what the person is actually looking for. It sure feels like stubbornness. But hey, someone could call me stubborn too, but I call it privacy.

Yes, I have the "Plus" plugin installed.

One further observation: when writing to the mounted SSD from the shell, unmount actually works, although the button afterwards still says "unmount" and is grey, while I would expect it to be orange and say: mount.

However, if I click unmount after writing to the SSD usingg the Krusader container, there will still be some write operations, and then the disk is mounted again. Pressing unmount after this will actually unmount the SSD and the button will be orange and say "mount" as expected. Kind of confusing...

Edited by b0m541

Because every one that's in a position to help doesn't necessarily know what to look for.  Diagnostics covers it all.  Besides, there's nothing within diagnostics that is a privacy issue.  If there is something which you're not comfortable with posting, then issue a feature request to have it removed.

5 minutes ago, b0m541 said:

diagnostics: We won't discuss this again as we did some time ago. I still fail to see why someone would insist on a full overshooting dataset without being willing or able to say what the person is actually looking for. It sure feels like stubbornness. But hey, someone could call me stubborn too, but I call it privacy.

Yes, I have the "Plus" plugin installed.

It is not as simple as you want to make it.  I can't tell you what I'm looking for because I don't know what the problem is.

The diagnostics are annonymized, but if you feel that it is too much information, please discuss your concerns with LimeTech.

I don't feel it is appropriate form me to enter into a back and forth with you on this forum while I try to figure out what your problem is.