Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array


dlandon

5995 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New release of UD.  Changes: When changing the mount point (which is also the share name), the mount point is checked for a duplicate of a user share or another UD device.  Samba cannot handle

While I appreciate your interest in esthetics, there is more to consider than just 'aligning' disk drive mounts: This disk is mounted without a UD script, it is probably better to put it in th

Major new release of UD: "Where are the switches?"  The "Pass Through", "Read Only", "Automount", and "Share" switches have been moved to a new Edit Settings dialog.  This is also where the sc

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Also, try unplugging and plugging the drive back in,

 

Did it and first I wasn't able to mount but then I re-entered the encryption password in the UD settings and now I was able to mount the drive. Do you know if there are any restrictions regarding the encryption password?

 

I will try everything from scratch with the 1TB HDD again in the next days, to see if what happens. I will keep you posted. Thanks a lot for your help so far. Very much appreciated.

 

What should I do with the lib.php I have copied over? Leave it or delete it?

Link to post
22 minutes ago, monarc said:

Do you know if there are any restrictions regarding the encryption password?

Try not to use special characters.

 

23 minutes ago, monarc said:

 

What should I do with the lib.php I have copied over? Leave it or delete it?

Leave it.  I'm going to issue an update to UD with the changes I've just made.

Link to post
Posted (edited)

We need someway to pass the APFS volume number in to be included in the mount command. 

 

I thought my drive was not mounting correctly because I couldn't find any files, but it turns out it correctly mounted an empty volume. 

 

Here is the command I used to access my files, since selecting the volume is not presently possible:

/usr/bin/apfs-fuse -o uid=99,gid=100,allow_other,vol=1 /dev/sda /tmp/apfs-mount-folder/

 

The vol=1 specifies volume #1 (the second volume in the container)

Edited by 10101
typo correction
Link to post
16 minutes ago, 10101 said:

We need someway to pass the APFS volume number in to be included in the mount command. 

 

I thought my drive was not mounting correctly because I couldn't find any files, but it turns out it correctly mounted an empty volume. 

 

Here is the command I used to access my files, since selecting the volume is not presently possible:

/usr/bin/apfs-fuse -o uid=99,gid=100,allow_other,vol=1 /dev/sda /tmp/apfs-mount-folder/

 

The vol=1 specifies volume #1 (the second volume in the container)

Is it always 1, or does it need to be specified for each disk/partition?

Link to post

Future Request for next Unraid or Update

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

so i found an issue with  Unassigned Devices, and script file

 

if you have 2 hard drives with the Same Label  say   "test"  it buggers up    it will rename  "test" to   "test_2"  

i dont use the 2 drives at the same time i  use it for my sister to swap her backups she lives far away so when i meet her  we swapp hard drives

and both are labeled  example  "test"

for windows it isnt a problem but i guess for unraid you cant do it?

so when i shove in  it renames folder to  "test_2"

as i use a script to move the files off the drive from  "test"  but when it automaticlly renames to "test_2"  it causes issues

 

but i noticed  there could be a fix for this

the drive is linked to a scripted labeled of the Label header

 

but it also be handy

if  Drive Serial number  be the script file

so you could have multiple Same Drive names  of "test" without issues

 

but maybe i asking blood from a stone.. but figured id ask..

but i guess for time being either i rename the label each time i swap out

or maybe  write script to handle both labeled drives..

but i figured id ask anyways

 

Link to post
18 hours ago, comet424 said:

Future Request for next Unraid or Update

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

so i found an issue with  Unassigned Devices, and script file

 

if you have 2 hard drives with the Same Label  say   "test"  it buggers up    it will rename  "test" to   "test_2"  

i dont use the 2 drives at the same time i  use it for my sister to swap her backups she lives far away so when i meet her  we swapp hard drives

and both are labeled  example  "test"

for windows it isnt a problem but i guess for unraid you cant do it?

so when i shove in  it renames folder to  "test_2"

as i use a script to move the files off the drive from  "test"  but when it automaticlly renames to "test_2"  it causes issues

 

but i noticed  there could be a fix for this

the drive is linked to a scripted labeled of the Label header

 

but it also be handy

if  Drive Serial number  be the script file

so you could have multiple Same Drive names  of "test" without issues

 

but maybe i asking blood from a stone.. but figured id ask..

but i guess for time being either i rename the label each time i swap out

or maybe  write script to handle both labeled drives..

but i figured id ask anyways

 

The 'Script File' defaults to the mountpoint.  When you first install a disk and create a script, the 'Script File' is the disk serial number.  If you change the mountpoint and then create a script, it will be the current mountpoint.  You can change the 'Script File' anytime, so it is unique to the disk.

Link to post
On 5/12/2021 at 6:51 PM, 10101 said:

We need someway to pass the APFS volume number in to be included in the mount command. 

 

I thought my drive was not mounting correctly because I couldn't find any files, but it turns out it correctly mounted an empty volume. 

 

Here is the command I used to access my files, since selecting the volume is not presently possible:

/usr/bin/apfs-fuse -o uid=99,gid=100,allow_other,vol=1 /dev/sda /tmp/apfs-mount-folder/

 

The vol=1 specifies volume #1 (the second volume in the container)

I've added a 'Volume' setting in the device settings for an apfs formatted partition so you can set the volume to mount.

Link to post
53 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The 'Script File' defaults to the mountpoint.  When you first install a disk and create a script, the 'Script File' is the disk serial number.  If you change the mountpoint and then create a script, it will be the current mountpoint.  You can change the 'Script File' anytime, so it is unique to the disk.

 

i not sure?  what i have is  

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/test.sh

and 

when i swap drives i get

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/test_2.sh

 

 

so how do i fix it so its drive specific?    i did try formating the disk and then changing the label  but doesnt matter

i still get test.sh for the drive label name  and each time i swap i get test_2 or back to test.sh

 

or do i delete unassigned.devices folder?  

Link to post
3 minutes ago, comet424 said:

 

i not sure?  what i have is  

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/test.sh

and 

when i swap drives i get

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/test_2.sh

 

 

so how do i fix it so its drive specific?    i did try formating the disk and then changing the label  but doesnt matter

i still get test.sh for the drive label name  and each time i swap i get test_2 or back to test.sh

 

or do i delete unassigned.devices folder?  

Change the script name in the settings.

Link to post

and on my other unraid   i get 

Disk Serial: WDC_WDS100T2B0A-00SM50_200802A003DE ()

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/.sh

 

Disk Serial: ST95005620AS_5YX1SAFX ()

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/System_Reserved.sh

 

 

but i figured what i get is

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/ST95005620AS_5YX1SAFX.sh

and in that file would mount the test folder

Link to post
4 minutes ago, comet424 said:

what setting do i change?  i went to settings/unassigned devices

 

Click on the three gears icon for the device and change this line to whatever you want:

EditLine.png.8ce38901ea8f773b07e448ee48dc104b.png

Link to post

I have a problem where the unassigned device SMB mapping "breaks" 

 

image.thumb.png.74701d888bc7a29caa927d0fb01a0fab.png

 

When this happens my dockers that have to copy files over to this share fail and causes issues. For the life of me I don't know why it breaks or how to make the connection more stable. Doing a Unmount and Remount does not fix it either. I can remove the share and re-add but then it goes blank again after a few hours. 

 

I have 3 unraid servers and the server that has the shared folder is browser master and all the others have the option off making them slaves. Is there any other way that I can tell my dockers a remote location or have a stable connection to the server?

 

Thanks!

Link to post
50 minutes ago, emuhack said:

I have a problem where the unassigned device SMB mapping "breaks" 

 

image.thumb.png.74701d888bc7a29caa927d0fb01a0fab.png

 

When this happens my dockers that have to copy files over to this share fail and causes issues. For the life of me I don't know why it breaks or how to make the connection more stable. Doing a Unmount and Remount does not fix it either. I can remove the share and re-add but then it goes blank again after a few hours. 

 

I have 3 unraid servers and the server that has the shared folder is browser master and all the others have the option off making them slaves. Is there any other way that I can tell my dockers a remote location or have a stable connection to the server?

 

Thanks!

Post diagnostics.

Link to post
1 hour ago, emuhack said:

The first thing you should do before requesting help is to be sure your plugins are all up to date.  You have a January 2021 version installed.  The issue you are seeing has been fixed.  Please update UD.

Link to post
44 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The first thing you should do before requesting help is to be sure your plugins are all up to date.  You have a January 2021 version installed.  The issue you are seeing has been fixed.  Please update UD.

My apologies... I have updated all the plugin on all 3 servers and will test over the next few hours. 

 

Thanks! 

Link to post
8 hours ago, dlandon said:

The first thing you should do before requesting help is to be sure your plugins are all up to date.  You have a January 2021 version installed.  The issue you are seeing has been fixed.  Please update UD.

I have updated and it is still happening, but it seems to happen after I start a docker container that has that path linked in the config? Attached are the diag

dellblade-diagnostics-20210517-0040.zip

Link to post
4 hours ago, emuhack said:

I have updated and it is still happening, but it seems to happen after I start a docker container that has that path linked in the config? Attached are the diag

 

Start by sorting out the issues from Fix Common Problems:

May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems Version 2021.04.11
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Plugin Update Check not enabled
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Update Check not enabled
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: disk1 (Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_256GB_S251NXAGC07523E) is an SSD.
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: disk2 (Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_256GB_S251NXAGC07528T) is an SSD.
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: disk3 (Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_256GB_S251NX0H559991M) is an SSD.
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Share CHIA is set for both included (disk3,disk4) and excluded (disk1,disk2) disks
May 16 12:34:00 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Docker application Plex-Media-Server has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option
May 16 12:34:05 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Share CHIA has disk4 set in its included disk settings
May 16 12:34:05 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Other Warning: Background notifications not enabled
May 16 12:34:05 DellBlade root: Fix Common Problems: Error: No root password set

 

Link to post

I have a large external USB SSD. When it is formatted wit exFAT and I connect it, it is detected by Unassigned Drives, but the mount button is greyed out. If I configure Automount and re-connect the SSD, it will be mounted. If I write something to the SSD I am not able to unmount it, the unmount button seems not to be able to unmount it. The logs are empty when clicking the logs button. There were a lot of writes going on, although I termined the Krusader container which I used to copy something onto the SSD. I have set Included folders in Folder Caching to not include /mnt/disks.

 

If I format the SSD using NTFS and have not enable Automount then I am able to mount it clicking the "mount" button. However, the problem with not being able to unmount it is also there with NTFS.

 

lsof +D /mnt/disks/myssd returns empty.

 

Any ideas?

 

 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, b0m541 said:

I have a large external USB SSD. When it is formatted wit exFAT and I connect it, it is detected by Unassigned Drives, but the mount button is greyed out. If I configure Automount and re-connect the SSD, it will be mounted. If I write something to the SSD I am not able to unmount it, the unmount button seems not to be able to unmount it. The logs are empty when clicking the logs button. There were a lot of writes going on, although I termined the Krusader container which I used to copy something onto the SSD. I have set Included folders in Folder Caching to not include /mnt/disks.

 

If I format the SSD using NTFS and have not enable Automount then I am able to mount it clicking the "mount" button. However, the problem with not being able to unmount it is also there with NTFS.

 

lsof +D /mnt/disks/myssd returns empty.

 

Any ideas?

 

 

Post diagnostics.

Link to post
Posted (edited)

Actually I was looking at the script log (empty), but the disk log says:

unraid unassigned.devices: Unmounting '/dev/sdl1'.
unraid unassigned.devices: Unmount cmd: /sbin/umount '/dev/sdl1' 2>&1
unraid unassigned.devices: Unmount of '/dev/sdl1' failed: 'umount: /mnt/disks/USB-2T-Vids: not mounted. '

 

Then why would the unmount button be shown, shouldn't the mount button be shown instead?

 

Also although destructive mode is enabled, there a no buttons to format the SSD.

 

Edited by b0m541
Link to post
59 minutes ago, b0m541 said:

Actually I was looking at the script log (empty), but the disk log says:

unraid unassigned.devices: Unmounting '/dev/sdl1'.
unraid unassigned.devices: Unmount cmd: /sbin/umount '/dev/sdl1' 2>&1
unraid unassigned.devices: Unmount of '/dev/sdl1' failed: 'umount: /mnt/disks/USB-2T-Vids: not mounted. '

I can't help without diagnostics.

 

1 hour ago, b0m541 said:

Also although destructive mode is enabled, there a no buttons to format the SSD.

Do you have Unassigned Devices Plus installed?  You need that to format disks.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.