Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

27 minutes ago, dlandon said:

It's only the /TV mount?  What is the remote server?  Look at the /etc/exports file on the remote server and see what the fileid parameter shows.

Actually, it's all of the mounts, not just the TV mount. I suspect that the TV mount fails the most frequently as it is used more often. Not to seem too stupid here, but where is the etc/exports file located? Thank you for the help, BTW, it is appreciated.

7 minutes ago, mikesp18 said:

Actually, it's all of the mounts, not just the TV mount. I suspect that the TV mount fails the most frequently as it is used more often. Not to seem too stupid here, but where is the etc/exports file located? Thank you for the help, BTW, it is appreciated.

What is the remote server?

9 hours ago, mikesp18 said:

Local.

Orcrist: 192.168.86.113

Grond: 192.168.86.115

Grond is the one that keeps having problems, with the remote NFS on Orcrist.

Update UD and then unmount and remount your NFS shares.  If it doesn't clear things up, reboot your server.

I've added a NFS mount option to not cache directory attributes that might help with this issue.

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

Update UD and then unmount and remount your NFS shares.  If it doesn't clear things up, reboot your server.

I've added a NFS mount option to not cache directory attributes that might help with this issue.

OK, will try it out.  Thank you so very much.

26 minutes ago, mikesp18 said:

Well, I'm assuming that the update is related to this.  My log just went to 90%.  I'll attach the log.  I have a lot of these errors:

"Apr 18  23:52:10 Grond kernel: NFS: server 192.168.86.113 error: fileid changed"

grond-diagnostics-20210419-1414.zip 117.24 kB · 0 downloads

Yes, that's what I am trying to address.  It looks like the messages stopped after the UD update.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

Works for me.  There is an issue on your end with Internet access.

Don't think it's an internet issue, as this is what I get if I try install it manually

image.thumb.png.0c7e2b783fb8c29bba8fbd9de9ab4e44.png

Having said that, this might be the cause 😅

image.png.b1f26afb1f368e5792d0e48255e39116.png

EDIT: Yep, flash drive corrupted, replaced it and all good now :)

Edited by richardsim7

Hey, just a quick question, would it be possible to add some functionality to force unmount stuff? Especially having issues with NFS where it sometimes crashes on the nfs-server, unable to remotely restart my unraid box since it never stops trying to unmount. Have to cycle power (not a big deal, it only runs a few dockers). 

NFS at least has a lazy mode unmount switch which would solve this perhaps. 

1 hour ago, Abnorm said:

Hey, just a quick question, would it be possible to add some functionality to force unmount stuff? Especially having issues with NFS where it sometimes crashes on the nfs-server, unable to remotely restart my unraid box since it never stops trying to unmount. Have to cycle power (not a big deal, it only runs a few dockers). 

NFS at least has a lazy mode unmount switch which would solve this perhaps. 

Not really.  The lazy unmount is used if the remote NFS server is offline, which is the case in your situation.  The unmount will time out after 30 seconds if the NFS server is off-line, or 10 seconds if it is on-line.

Post your diagnostics so I can have a look.

On 4/19/2021 at 2:48 PM, dlandon said:

Yes, that's what I am trying to address.  It looks like the messages stopped after the UD update.

Well, it got to the point of crashing Unraid.  I had to hard reset Unraid. Uninstall UD.  I did try to reinstall it today, and remount the NFS shares.  Same thing, dropping mount down to 0, and tons of errors in the log, same as before fileid_changed.

grond-diagnostics-20210420-2339.zip

I deleted the NFS mounts, and tried out SMB UD mounts.  No errors so far.

As of Unraid 6.7 or 6.8 XFS is formatted with reflink=1, which uses a lot of space (e.g. 69GB on 10 TB disk).

I found this feature is not worth the space and keep formatting my new disks with custom approach as described in the linked thread.

Since I run out of SATA ports, I would like to add additional disk via USB & UD.

I was hoping to format them with same command as I did for the array.

mkfs.xfs -m crc=1,finobt=1,reflink=0 -l su=4096 -s size=4096 -f /dev/mdX

However UD refuses to mount from such disk and only offers me to format it.

Is there a way to trick UD to accept my disk (with reflink=0), like it does work in Unraid 6.8 and newer?

Edit:

Solved it myself. I formatted the disk with XFS in UD and then run the command on the first partition:

mkfs.xfs -m crc=1,finobt=1,reflink=0 -l su=4096 -s size=4096 -f /dev/sdX1

It took the dashboard some mounts and unmounts to recognise the reduced used space.

Edited by Forusim

Somehow I messed up the device names in UD with my formatting attempts.

The disk, which was initially Dev 1 - ST8000AS0002-1NA17Z_Z840E2KD (sdh) is now only sdj.

This would not bother me, but now I cannot spin down the disk anymore (the green dot is not clickable for this disk).

And when I click on the sdj link to attributes and SMART info, it only display "Can not read attributes" sections.

device_names.png

How can I fix this to initial behaviour?

Edited by Forusim
1 hour ago, Forusim said:

As of Unraid 6.7 or 6.8 XFS is formatted with reflink=1, which uses a lot of space (e.g. 69GB on 10 TB disk).

I found this feature is not worth the space and keep formatting my new disks with custom approach as described in the linked thread.

Since I run out of SATA ports, I would like to add additional disk via USB & UD.

I was hoping to format them with same command as I did for the array.

mkfs.xfs -m crc=1,finobt=1,reflink=0 -l su=4096 -s size=4096 -f /dev/mdX

However UD refuses to mount from such disk and only offers me to format it.

Is there a way to trick UD to accept my disk (with reflink=0), like it does work in Unraid 6.8 and newer?

Edit:

Solved it myself. I formatted the disk with XFS in UD and then run the command on the first partition:

mkfs.xfs -m crc=1,finobt=1,reflink=0 -l su=4096 -s size=4096 -f /dev/sdX1

It took the dashboard some mounts and unmounts to recognise the reduced used space.

All that for 69GB out of a 10TB disk?  Not sure that is a good use of your time.

14 minutes ago, Forusim said:

Somehow I messed up the device names in UD with my formatting attempts.

The disk, which was initially Dev 1 - ST8000AS0002-1NA17Z_Z840E2KD (sdh) is now only sdj.

This would not bother me, but now I cannot spin down the disk anymore (the green dot is not clickable for this disk).

And when I click on the sdj link to attributes and SMART info, it only display "Can not read attributes" sections.

device_names.png

How can I fix this to initial behaviour?

Try  a reboot?

• Thanks 1

Is it possible there is a bug in the latest update? Yesterday (or the day before) I installed an update, last night my 3-month parity check started. This morning the web UI was not available and still isn't.. All services are down, apps installed on unassigned and on pools/array disks. 

The reason I'm asking here is because a lot of Google hits are referring to UD

edit:

I left a browser open on one of my machines earlier today, the UI froze 8 hours into the par check. My unassigned disk (plex) seems to be missing

Yes, there is a dead drive in my array and yes, there is a ssd in my array. New disks are on the way 😉

UD issue.png

Edited by XisoP
additional info
1 hour ago, XisoP said:

Is it possible there is a bug in the latest update? Yesterday (or the day before) I installed an update, last night my 3-month parity check started. This morning the web UI was not available and still isn't.. All services are down, apps installed on unassigned and on pools/array disks. 

I doubt it.  Nothing in the latest updates relates to UD disks.  Post diagnostics once you can.

The whole server was unresponsive. Had to do a PTP (FTS, Flip The Switch) in my case.

Server booted withoud issues, SSD for plex is visible.

Attatched is the diagnostics report. Log is only of today, not that much hepful I'm afraid.

penny-diagnostics-20210426-1732.zip

I'm starting a new parity check as I'm typing this. Hope it will survive. Unraid is booted in GUI safemode at this moment.

edit:

Parity check is still running, getting close to 14 hours. Still booted in safe mode

Final verdict:

Par check finished successfully in safe mode, server has been restarted in normal mode. All works fine now. Don't know what the issue was, but all works fine again. Maybe the dead drive? It is strange though that the unassigned disk for plex was dropped during the par check. 

Edited by XisoP
1 hour ago, SuberSeb said:

Is there a way to run custom nfs mount command? Noac option is very slow in my case, I'd like to remove it.

No.

I'm working on a UD setting to control this.

1 hour ago, SuberSeb said:

I think it's a quiet simple to add an option to specify custom params for NFS. In lib.php.

This is not a good idea because of the possibility of inexperienced users doing things wrong and risking data loss.  I prefer users setting options in the UD settings and for UD to manage the proper mount options based on those settings.