how do you mount an unmountable NTFS

i was doing some work on my unraid and i use a usb  ntfs drive to do things that way i can have the array spun down and i can use this drive in windows

but now after doing cable management pluged the usb back in.. shes unmountable... 

i rmemeber doing the mount for btrfs   to get it back up and running restore files off it

but i tried for ntfs  but i get error

Linux 4.19.107-Unraid.
root@Tower:~# mount -r -t ntfs-3g -o umask=111,dmask=000  /dev/sdk1 /mnt/user/data/usb/
NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdk1': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/sdk1' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?
root@Tower:~# 

what do i need to restore ntfs.. and should i really convert it to btrfs  and forget about using with windows..  it was conventent..  copy and use it as a mobile hd  with windows then i can plug into unraid  with no issues..

windows wants to format the drive

I not sure  I don't get a drive letter so I dunno if you can run chkdisk  without a drive letter

I currently running in windows  aomi partion assistant demo to scan the drive

and I forgot to mention I changed  usb drive enclosure  from  WD to a Startech  problem something happened in the transition I guess

I figured maybe unraid had a quick mount  like for the btrfs  and I was able to copy back out in read only but the one I did above failed as you seen

@jonathanm

ya  so the testdisk didnt work..

so i re put hte WD Mybook enclosure  card back on the hard hard drive plugged it in..  and the drive is back.. like what the heck..

so if it messes the drives geometry.. can i still use my other enclosure if i back up the files  format the drive again.. or is it stuck to  wd enclosure... it does detect in windows  etc

i did not know it mess's it up  i just tried it now to go back to the orginal enclosure board and its working

thats messed up...  and the testdisk wouldnt work... so if a WD enclosure fails then basiclly the hard drive is lost.. as the AOEMI  couldnt find the partition

or would u need another  MY Book from WD  to use its enclosure to save it...  

frig eh  learn something new everyday... as i wanna get away from the WD my book.. the Startech is nicer and i can swap from Sata drive and shove in enclosure and it works fine..  

what BS eh damn hard drive geometry lol

oh ok go figure   must be a safety thing..  i dont care for them as they heat up  and no fan.. so i swapped it to my other enclosure 

and thats when whole issue started lol... go figure 

learn something new everyday.. if i buy  a wd my book  pull it out and take it apart before use  less issues later on lol

you been very helpful

1 hour ago, comet424 said:

i dont care for them as they heat up  and no fan.. so i swapped it to my other enclosure 

and thats when whole issue started lol... go figure 

learn something new everyday.. if i buy  a wd my book  pull it out and take it apart before use  less issues later on lol

Before you remove the disk from the enclosure, use the WD tools and do a long SMART test on the disk and make sure that it does not have any issues.  That will make returns/exchanges much easier...

@Frank1940 ok sounds good didnt know that..  

but for now what i was doing was since  WD gets 47-56c degrees i didnt like the the enclosure  no air flow.. really  they only ment for short time not constant running i guess.

so thats when i was doing my cable management i swapped  out my wd to a star tech  where i built a fan  for that enclosure and keeps things cool  and thats when  it went down hill.. but then i learned  that wd  encrypts the partition  so it makes it useless..  from another user...  so i currently  shoved the wd board back on  and in front of a fan  to keep it cool  no case.. and then still transfering files to the array.. and then ill reformat my drive  in the startech  since no encryption there...  i working on building my own Hotswap like 45drives   then i wont need to worry about usb drives i can just pull in nad out the drive  out of the hot swaps in the case