[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

hello, i'm back again!

383008415__20230720165758.thumb.jpg.5390c6bf8c89dd322ad5261edd7042d6.jpg

this time I planed to install a 2080ti 22G(modified) to my unraid sever as you see,it already works by your plugin, thx again!

I installed nvidia driver (version:535.54.03),included CUDA driver Version:12.2 as following:

image.thumb.png.0eeffccba9febd46344537c971e5af19.png

but I want downgrade it to CUDA 11.8, it's best version for 2080ti when I use it to running at Stable Diffusion WebUI (in docker).

so the problem I wanna asking ,HOW TO downgrade CUDA version to 11.8 , it included in nvidia driver version 520.56.06 , but I can't find it from your plug-in.

Looking for you reply,thx!

17 minutes ago, bdm965 said:

so the problem I wanna asking ,HOW TO downgrade CUDA version to 11.8 , it included in nvidia driver version 520.56.06 , but I can't find it from your plug-in.

Sorry but I only compile the following branches for my plugin:

• Production Branch
  • Next Feature Branch
  • Legacy Branch (Driver v470.x)
  • Open Source Driver

However if you are using Stable diffusion, I assume you are using it in a Docker container which runs it's own version from the Cuda Toolkit if I'm not mistaken, usually the output that you are seeing is that the driver supports up to Cuda 12.2 and should be backwards compatible with older Cuda Toolkit versions.

Hi,

I've just downloaded the Unraid 6.12.3 update, which downloaded fine, but i'm getting an error from the Plugin Updater when it tries to update the Nvidia Plugin. Here's what I see in my Notifications:image.thumb.png.bf7771832a3ceeb1dace4b09de23fc5f.png

I've tried going into the Plugin manually and clicking "Update & Install" but even though I have the Production Branch v535.54.03 selected, it looks like it tries to install v470.182.03image.thumb.png.3eb8d42a3622cbf8f2cd75dffd2e5815.png

Do i just need to sit tight and wait for an update to the Plugin?

Edited by TheUseless
Typo's
53 minutes ago, TheUseless said:

Do i just need to sit tight and wait for an update to the Plugin?

No.

Please do the following:

1. Reboot
  2. Go to the plugin page and install the v470.x driver version
  3. Reboot again

After that it is working again.

What card are you using?

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, ich777 said:

No.

Please do the following:

1. Reboot
  2. Go to the plugin page and install the v470.x driver version
  3. Reboot again

Thanks for this!

While trying to complete step 2 i still got the "Can't download Nvidia Driver Package v470.x" error, but during the reboots it has updated the Driver to v535.86.05.

31 minutes ago, ich777 said:

After that it is working again.

What card are you using?

Just tried transcoding some videos in Plex and it seems to be working fine!
I'm using a GTX 1070.
Thanks for that thread, I'll have a read through that now! Thanks for your help :)

9 minutes ago, TheUseless said:

I'm using a GTX 1070.

Why are you using the v470.x driver? You will be fine with the latest version anyways, you won't have this issue next time if you stay on any of the main branches from the "latest" section.

Please post your Diagnostics if you have any further issues.

Do you have pialert installed? They have a bug in their software which eats up all your GitHub API (which I make heavily use in my Plugins/Containers) and prevent the download.

Do you have any AdBlocking on your network? Please make sure that you don't block github.com and api.github.com

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Why are you using the v470.x driver? You will be fine with the latest version anyways, you won't have this issue on any of the main branches.

I'm not purposefully trying to use the v470.x driver, It seems like even if i select the Production or Latest release branch, when I click "Update & Download" the download window always shows it trying to download the v470.x driver?image.thumb.png.556ee3915a57c0829fe0c04ac8d5cba3.png

image.thumb.png.80a286b0581c631d2a278a991ee191d4.png

Even though that window shows it trying to download v470.x package, in the SystemLog it does look like it's calling the appropriate update commands:

cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/nvidia-driver/include/exec.sh update_version latest
cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/nvidia-driver/include/exec.sh update_version latest_prb

Please post your Diagnostics if you have any further issues. Do you have pialert installed? They have a bug in their software which eats up all your GitHub API (which I make heavily use in my Plugins/Containers) and prevent the download.

Do you have any AdBlocking on your network? Please make sure that you don't block github.com and api.github.com

Sorry newbie error, diagnostics slipped my mind completely - I don't have PiAlert installed and there shouldn't be any adblocking/github API usage that I can think of, but I'll have more of a look and see what other containers/plugins could be causing a blocker.

2 hours ago, TheUseless said:

Sorry newbie error, diagnostics slipped my mind completely - I don't have PiAlert installed and there shouldn't be any adblocking/github API usage that I can think of, but I'll have more of a look and see what other containers/plugins could be causing a blocker.

Please uninstall the plugin and then reinstall it and see if that helps.

• Thanks 1

I just upgraded from 6.11.5 to 6.12.3. Followed instructions from this thread to troubleshoot before posting this. Downloaded the latest driver (v535.86.05), rebooted for the upgrade. The plex GPU hw transcoding stopped working. Removed the plugin and plex. Rebooted. Reinstalled the nvidia plugin with driver  v535.86.05, rebooted. Recreated plex container. Same error while transcoding, screen flashes a couple of times and get Error code: 4294967279. Switched to driver v530.41.03 and rebooted. Same error again. Diagnostics attached. Thanks in advance!

Sat Jul 22 18:41:23 2023
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 530.41.03              Driver Version: 530.41.03    CUDA Version: 12.1     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                  Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf            Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  Quadro P2000                    Off| 00000000:03:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| 51%   42C    P8                7W /  75W|      2MiB /  5120MiB |      0%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                           |

tower-diagnostics-20230722-1844.zip

5 hours ago, raftrider said:

Downloaded the latest driver (v535.86.05), rebooted for the upgrade. The plex GPU hw transcoding stopped working. Removed the plugin and plex. Rebooted. Reinstalled the nvidia plugin with driver  v535.86.05, rebooted. Recreated plex container. Same error while transcoding, screen flashes a couple of times and get Error code: 4294967279.

as your driver install looking fine, i rather would search in the plex part for a solution like cleaning codecs folder etc ... did you may try a different docker like jellyfin to check if its working there ?

when i look in your description, this really looks more like a plex issue then a nvidia issue.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, raftrider said:

Thanks in advance!

As @alturismo said, that's most certainly a Plex issue.

From what I see in your Diagnostics the driver was load fine.

BTW may I ask if you use the card in another container too since it looks like it was detected fine in another container or even the Plex container (can't tell for sure in the logs since there are no container names listed).

Through what client are you trying to transcode? If it's the web client please try a native client like for iOS, Android, Samsung,... since the web client most of the times is not working when you switch over to transcoding.

So, quick update. My tests were via plex for mac(2 different macs) and plex web, these still fail. Then noticed remote users transcoding and tried in my apple tv and works fine so for some reason this appears to only be affecting plex web and plex on mac and IOS. I will start looking on the plex forums for a solution for this issue. Thank you guys for the recommendations. In the backend it looks like the transcode stream starts(I can see it with nvtop), then it stops and I get the error in the player. Also tried both h264 and hevc with the same results. Tried removing the plex app from mac and installing again, no changes. If/when I find a solution online I will post back here for reference in case other users might be experiencing the same problem

UPDATE: Upgraded to the latest codec again. Now the plex for mac started transcoding but buffers every 3-4 seconds. Interestingly, the plex htpc player for mac, plays and transcodes smoothly so this is definitely an issue specifically with the desktop plex player for mac and well the web player which tbh I do not use.

Edited by raftrider
update
44 minutes ago, raftrider said:

Interestingly, the plex htpc player for mac, plays and transcodes smoothly so this is definitely an issue specifically with the desktop plex player for mac and well the web player which tbh I do not use.

A little OT for this thread, but don't assume the fault lies with these player.  Could easily be that this version of Plex is at fault, and not playing nice with them.  You might want to try an earlier revision of Plex (ideally, one that is known working correctly) to see if this helps.

This is one reason I don't jump on the latest Plex release.  Those guys always break something when adding something new and shiny.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

A little OT for this thread, but don't assume the fault lies with these player.  Could easily be that this version of Plex is at fault, and not playing nice with them.  You might want to try an earlier revision of Plex (ideally, one that is known working correctly) to see if this helps.

This is one reason I don't jump on the latest Plex release.  Those guys always break something when adding something new and shiny.

Well, there was a plex update 4 days ago, definitely worth checking.

• Like 1

@ich777Hello! Long time no speak. I hope you are well and thank you so much for all your wonderful efforts for the Unraid community.

I'm chiming into this thread to see if there is a way to downgrade to Nvidia driver 525.60.13 as this is the only version that works with the current version of Plex on Linux/Unraid. Please have a look at this thread over here. My comments start at the bottom '2 months later' (Jase) with some logs.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/nvidia-hardware-acceleration-inconsistently-working-with-web-streaming/828463/149

The issue is that transcoding does not work with browsers when playing content from Plex. There are no problems however with Hardware client devices like the Apple TV, iOS etc. Any ideas on how to downgrade would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by Jase
19 minutes ago, Jase said:

@ich777Hello! Long time no speak. I hope you are well and thank you so much for all your wonderful efforts for the Unraid community.

I'm chiming into this thread to see if there is a way to downgrade to Nvidia driver 525.60.13 as this is the only version that works with the current version of Plex on Linux/Unraid. Please have a look at this thread over here. My comments start at the bottom '2 months later' (Jase) with some logs.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/nvidia-hardware-acceleration-inconsistently-working-with-web-streaming/828463/149

The issue is that transcoding does not work with browsers when playing content from Plex. There are no problems however with Hardware client devices like the Apple TV, iOS etc. Any ideas on how to downgrade would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

That and the infoyou reported sound similar with what I posted

9 minutes ago, Jase said:

to downgrade to Nvidia driver 525.60.13 as this is the only version that works with the current version of Plex on Linux

9 minutes ago, Jase said:

The issue is that transcoding does not work with browsers when playing content from Plex.

Please tell me this is a joke...

A few users lately reported this issue to me and I also think this was a common issue a few years ago right?

Will Plex fix this issue or not? My issue with that is that I currently have to compile 4 or some times even 5 drivers for each new Unraid version and I think you can see that this is time consuming, even if it's an automated process:

• Production Branch
  • New Feature Branch
  • Beta Branch
  • Open Source Branch
  • Legacy Branch

13 minutes ago, Jase said:

Any ideas on how to downgrade would be greatly appreciated.

Sure thing, I have to recompile the old driver but I even don't know up to which Kernel version the 525 driver is supported but I also don't think that even that is true that only the v525.x drivers are working since the legacy driver v470.x also doesn't work (reported by a user).

Also, I read one of the comments from a Plex Team Member in the linked post:

grafik.png.3bc294ad926e84fcd0c2736fcceffa61.png

Here are the drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/204837/en-us/ :D

Did the Plex Team ever say why it is not working with the newer drivers? I really don't understand why it is a driver thing when it is working on native clients but not on the web client, this has to be an issue with their web client from my perspective and not with the driver, hope that also makes sense to you.

@alturismo have you heard of that yet?

22 minutes ago, Jase said:

Any ideas on how to downgrade would be greatly appreciated.

Sure, I have to compile the v525.x drivers for each Unraid version but I really don't understand why this should be a driver thing that the web client on a maybe far far away machine is not working?

3 minutes ago, L0rdRaiden said:

That and the infoyou reported sound similar with what I posted

I think your issue was completely different that your system became unresponsive and that transcoding stopped working or wasn't working at all, even on native clients.

IIRC you also had some entries in your syslog from the driver where it stopped working correct? If yes then that's not the same issue.

Have you yet tried native clients (Android, iOS, Samsung)?

25 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please tell me this is a joke...

I'm afraid not. Sorry ;(

A few users lately reported this issue to me and I also think this was a common issue a few years ago right?

I'm not aware of this as I have never seen this issue before.

Did the Plex Team ever say why it is not working with the newer drivers? I really don't understand why it is a driver thing when it is working on native clients but not on the web client, this has to be an issue with their web client from my perspective and not with the driver, hope that also makes sense to you.

It makes total sense for me. I totally agree that the issue is with the Plex Web client that needs to be fixed. It's really not that great that this issue has popped up. I think it will be a slow gradual process of other users complaining when they upgrade to the latest NVIDIA drivers.

I hope that the Plex Dev's will prioritize a fix rather than me and other users asking you to re-compile special drivers for their lack of bug fixes for Plex Server and their web clients on this issue....You should see the state of the Live TV DVR, now that's another conversation. ;)

Edited by Jase
grammer
53 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Sure, I have to compile the v525.x drivers for each Unraid version but I really don't understand why this should be a driver thing that the web client on a maybe far far away machine is not working?

To be honest ich777, please don't go to the trouble of compiling v525.x drivers for me...I feel that this should be fixed by Plex.

Edited by Jase
55 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I think your issue was completely different that your system became unresponsive and that transcoding stopped working or wasn't working at all, even on native clients.

IIRC you also had some entries in your syslog from the driver where it stopped working correct? If yes then that's not the same issue.

Have you yet tried native clients (Android, iOS, Samsung)?

I also think there is something wrong with PLEX.

I also just recently added a graphics card to my Plex server (Nvidia T600) It was also my intention to use it for transcoding in Plex I have tried different driver. But no matter what I do, Chromecast and Google Chrome do not work, but the Windows app and Android and Firefox work fine with transcoding. 

Which plex container are you running? Official, binhex, linuxserver, etc...?

You access to web client through https://app.plex.tv/ (remote plex web server) or local ip address (web client embedded in container)? Remote and local web clients are distinct and may differ.

Have you tried to start from a clean plex appdata folder? Stop the container, rename/move/backup plex appdata folder, start it again, claim your server (if needed), create a new library for the test and test a playback.

To rollback to your previous install, put back your old plex appdata folder.

Edited by Peuuuur Noel