[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

hello every, i'm a new guy from china for unraid.

Formly i got a nvidia CMP 40HX mining card, it composed by specially TU-106 chip with 8GB GDDR6, and modified to support PCIE1.1 x16 by the seller.

that's interesting to use it run games & beachmark at windows platform.

but now i wonder to install it to my unraid server for  AI / CUDA computing (like hashcat docker and etc), but didn't work.

all drivers of the plugin ''nvidia driver'' has didn't identifing this card. there's no any info of this card in plugin interface, 

I'm trying to search this problem in google, the other Linux OP like Ubuntu、PVE can manual install correct driver by apt-get, but unraid can't do it like that. 

so could you have any plan to add a correct driver? all i just known the 460~490 of offical version and some open source of third party is available.

all thx!

Edited by bdm965
9 hours ago, bdm965 said:

nvidia CMP 40HX mining card

I don't know that card but I know such cards exist.

9 hours ago, bdm965 said:

all i just known the 460~490 of offical version and some open source of third party is available.

What is the correct driver? You can install the legacy driver 470.xx in the plugin and of course the latest ones.

If the driver is not publicly available from Nvidia I can't help here because this would violate their EULA.

Hi,

have a supported card (quadro K4000 - Latest Legacy GPU version (470.xx series): 470.182.03) that works and followed the instructions re: docker off/on/reboot etc. Card wasn't bound, but tried binding/rebooting then unbinding/rebooting just to be sure.

Still the plug-in doesn't recognise it.

"NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running."

Attached diagnotics (followed your steps from a post on the previous page of this thread re: uninstall/reboot/reinstall/reboot/c-state off/switched to legacy etc.

tower-diagnostics-20230625-0009.zip

Edited by CouchPawTayTow
add diag
3 hours ago, CouchPawTayTow said:

have a supported card (quadro K4000 - Latest Legacy GPU version (470.xx series): 470.182.03) that works and followed the instructions re: docker off/on/reboot etc. Card wasn't bound, but tried binding/rebooting then unbinding/rebooting just to be sure.

Form the Diagnostics I see that you are usig the latest driver version not the 470.xx legacy driver.

Jun 25 10:06:50 Tower kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 243
Jun 25 10:06:50 Tower kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA Quadro K4000 GPU installed in this system is
Jun 25 10:06:50 Tower kernel: NVRM:  supported through the NVIDIA 470.xx Legacy drivers. Please
Jun 25 10:06:50 Tower kernel: NVRM:  visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
Jun 25 10:06:50 Tower kernel: NVRM:  information.  The 535.54.03 NVIDIA driver will ignore
Jun 25 10:06:50 Tower kernel: NVRM:  this GPU.  Continuing probe...
Jun 25 10:06:50 Tower kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA GPU found.
Jun 25 10:06:50 Tower kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered Nvlink Core, major device number 243

Please install the legacy driver, reboot and then post the Diagnostics again.

• Upvote 1
On 6/23/2023 at 1:54 PM, ich777 said:

I don't know that card but I know such cards exist.

What is the correct driver? You can install the legacy driver 470.xx in the plugin and of course the latest ones.

If the driver is not publicly available from Nvidia I can't help here because this would violate their EULA.

image.thumb.png.eb1434b0026e3a5cf61728f95b7439ff.png

I'm already done,thanks so much for your plugin!

• Like 1

How does available versions get populated?
I am running an old GT-710 so I am on 470.182.03 which shows up under available versions but I see that NVidia released 470.199.02 a few days ago.

Not in any particular hurry to upgrade but jjust wondering whether updates will show up in the plugin or because it is the old legacy driver whether I need to update it manually.

30 minutes ago, jameson_uk said:

I am running an old GT-710 so I am on 470.182.03 which shows up under available versions but I see that NVidia released 470.199.02 a few days ago.

May I ask for what do you use the card?

Why do you need the new driver version?

30 minutes ago, jameson_uk said:

How does available versions get populated?

From my repository.

32 minutes ago, jameson_uk said:

Not in any particular hurry to upgrade but jjust wondering whether updates will show up in the plugin or because it is the old legacy driver whether I need to update it manually.

The drivers a precompiled by me.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

May I ask for what do you use the card?

Why do you need the new driver version?

I use the card for H.264 decoding in Plex.  (Is just about the latest passive card I could find)

I don't need the latest driver I am just wondering if I did need an updated driver whether it would appear in the plugin or not.

17 minutes ago, jameson_uk said:

I use the card for H.264 decoding in Plex.  (Is just about the latest passive card I could find)

Then there is nothing you would benefit from.

22 minutes ago, jameson_uk said:

I don't need the latest driver I am just wondering if I did need an updated driver whether it would appear in the plugin or not.

No, the new driver version will not appear in the plugin because I compile the legacy driver only once when the Unraid version itself is released.

36 minutes ago, 2EEKev said:

recommendations for Nvidia GPU for Plex transcoding?

T400 or may even P400 as sample. pretty often recommended from @ich777 here, has pretty low power consumption too ...

i would prolly take the T400 if i wouldnt have a intel igpu

https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/design-visualization/productspage/quadro/quadro-desktop/nvidia-t400-datasheet-1987150-r3.pdf

https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/design-visualization/productspage/quadro/quadro-desktop/quadro-pascal-p400-data-sheet-us-nv-704503-r1.pdf

• Like 1

So, I am having trouble now with 6.12.1 and 6.12.2, where the NVIDIA driver / plugin is not showing up, or working at all. It was, but on a restart it vanished. Now it wont instal, and errors out. screen shots and diagnostics attached. Not sure how to force it, or how to uninstall whatever residuals are there. I am kinda at a loss, but willing to work the problem, if anyone has the time. 

bonaserv-diagnostics-20230701-2023.zip

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 5.35.16 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 8.27.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 8.27.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 8.28.03 PM.png

3 hours ago, AAB23C said:

Not sure how to force it, or how to uninstall whatever residuals are there.

Remove the Plugin through the GUI, reboot your server and grab a fresh copy from the CA App.

This should do the trick.

If you tried it multiple times please wait for at least an hour before you try this.

Can someone please confirm whether you could manually turn on the fans on a founder edition gpu with nvidia-smi? The default fan curve in vbios works, but the fans don't kick in until the temperature gets high, so I'm exploring the possibility to turn on the gpu fan manually. 

3 hours ago, doctortt said:

turn on the fans on a founder edition gpu with nvidia-smi? The default fan curve in vbios works

how you come to this, nvidia-smi doesnt even has a option therefore afaik ...

nvidia-settings would be something to play with ...

nvidia-settings --display :0 -a GPUFanControlState=1 -a GPUTargetFanSpeed=60

but you first prolly have to read howto enable the X (i think @ich777 somewhere mentioned it in this thread), may just read further into it (google) and test it ...

but be aware of what you do ;) by default the vbios curve should do its job just fine, if your system gets too warm overall through the GPU, may consider a better airflow in your case ...

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, alturismo said:

how you come to this, nvidia-smi doesnt even has a option therefore afaik ...

nvidia-settings would be something to play with ...

nvidia-settings --display :0 -a GPUFanControlState=1 -a GPUTargetFanSpeed=60

but you first prolly have to read howto enable the X (i think @ich777 somewhere mentioned it in this thread), may just read further into it (google) and test it ...

but be aware of what you do ;) by default the vbios curve should do its job just fine, if your system gets too warm overall through the GPU, may consider a better airflow in your case ...

Noted, I will look into this more. 

3 hours ago, doctortt said:

The default fan curve in vbios works, but the fans don't kick in until the temperature gets high, so I'm exploring the possibility to turn on the gpu fan manually. 

As @alturismo said the default fan curve is fine and should prevent the card from overheating (every other FE card is using that fan profile too)…

You can‘t controll the fans since there are too many libraries missing and since there is no X environment by default you can‘t use nvidia-settings.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ich777 said:

As @alturismo said the default fan curve is fine and should prevent the card from overheating (every other FE card is using that fan profile too)…

You can‘t controll the fans since there are too many libraries missing and since there is no X environment by default you can‘t use nvidia-settings.

Noted. thank you.