Looks like someone is trying to bring FlexRAID back from the dead.

speedkills

I just noticed today that a new site has been posted that has been prettied up a bit and is talking about a fresh FlexRAID 2.0 emerging from incubation.  A few screenshots thrown in, not too much specific information but I figured this being a site of storage junkies you guys might be interested.

Love my unraid box but I'm always on the lookout for other technologies that are easier to add packages onto.  Keep crossing my fingers that someday unRaid, or FlexRaid for that matter will be a standard driver/filesystem option in a more mainstream package like ubuntu as personally I find the thought of running two home servers wasteful, one for storage and one for other tasks.  I do finally have my unRaid box running most of what I want it to but still find the thought of installing something like Crashplan on it a bit daunting.

Anyway, here is the updated site: http://www.flexraid.com/

Methinks FlexRAID needs to learn a bit about unRAID so they can correct this blatantly false claim:

Provides the greatest data safety possible and the lowest risk of data lost as failure beyond the tolerance level will result only in partial data loss unlike all other solutions in the market which would result in complete data loss.

he would better make true to his promises instead of making new websites LOL

he said the new flexraid would be out in January

we are second week of February and as far as i know no explanation as to why

i had flexraid running for exactly 5 hours or so.. but it was just too complex to easily run

i am sticking with Unraid ... much stabler and great community

Ahhh....didn't realize his promised delivery date had shipped.  In that case I'll disregard him and stick to unRaid where delivery dates have never slipped.

And I don't think it is a web UI that looks windows like, think it is a plug in filesystem/io type driver for WHS, maybe similar to something like an iSCSI SAN hookup.  Not saying it is iSCSI, just that I believe that it may be hooked into in a similar fashion, where Windows just sees it as another type of storage and can use some of it's native dialogs.

Even if it was done tomorrow it's not like I would switch right over when my setup is finally working fairly well but I'm not a fanboy for any vendor.  I'm the guy who likes android phones but still keeps an eye on Apple and Palms new products because they all influence each other and make the whole space better.  Who knows, it's possible Tom will see a couple of good ideas that are worth putting into unRaid and the product may be made better by a competitor/proof of concept even if none of us choose to actually use it.

Man, guess I should have seen that coming.  I feel like a posted a picture of the new unreleased Camaro on a Mustang site mistakingly thinking it was just a car enthusiast site.  Lesson learned, sorry for the disruption.

I just like to keep an eye on gadgets and electronics, even the ones I won't use.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I don't need any PMs telling me why unraid is better, I'm a customer myself, have two pro licenses even though I don't need them with only six drives but I like the community and try to support where I can.

Nobody has to point out to me in public or private how an unreleased product is unproven, I wasn't trying to talk anyone into throwing their unraid servers in the garbage and getting in line to buy a product that isn't even for sale yet and has zero feedback, since it isn't even on the market yet. 

Plus, seeing the competitor we have a chance to review their claims, even if only to refute them as Brit rightly pointed out, they seem to be forgetting about unRaid when making their claims. 

Yes, the users here will be biased, but I would like to think you didn't receive death threats over PM about mentioning a competitor.  I don't think there should be an atmosphere of hostility towards open discussions about competing products.  If we ignore there are other solutions out there, then we cannot intelligently compare them to unRAID, and we could miss out on suggesting upgrades that others have developed.

I had looked into FlexRAID along with unRAID when I decided to switch away from Linux software raid 5/6,

mainly because you can use various sized drives, and you the contents of other drives if a crash occurs will still be

accessible.

The problem I found with FlexRAID was *slow* support in their forums -- I mean 3-5 days for a question to be answered.

Otherwise I liked the idea of using it on existing Windows PC at home, where adding an extra drive for parity could help

minimize the risk of losing existing drives on that PC.

Wow, I can't believe people sent you PMs. I have no problem talking about other products and like you I also follow products that I don't use to see what's going on. I also looked into flexraid but unRaid just seemed better for what I wanted to do and the support on the forums is great.

Hope I didn't offend you, if I did sorry

No worries guys... No problem bringing any technology to the attention of the community.  I wish that guy luck - I know how much work it takes - he does have a nice website!  Only thing I ask: if you are using that, or any other non-unRAID storage product, and you are seeking help/advice/etc., please use the other storage product's forum - that's only common courtesy.

Currently there is a lot of development going into 5x which will spiff up the interface a bit and add in more functionability in the long run. I'm betting along with limetech's work and some of the 3rd party guys around here its going to turn out pretty nice.

Can't wait to see it.  While I like the idea of being able to use a full linux distro for some use cases I will be the first to admit I am completely won over by the fact that I can have a rsync job setup to pull the contents of my flash drive daily to another pc that is in effect a disk image.  Disk imaging has gotten better over the years but when it comes down to it I can't think of a much easier setup to restore than unRaid.  Whenever I am going to make settings changes I just make a complete copy of my unRaid flash drive to a folder on my laptop, update whatever I want, and if it fails I don't worry about which parts to roll back, I just copy the whole thing over from my laptop and I'm back where I started.

It is my favorite feature besides the obvious disk handling that brought us all here in the first place.

Currently there is a lot of development going into 5x which will spiff up the interface a bit and add in more functionability in the long run. I'm betting along with limetech's work and some of the 3rd party guys around here its going to turn out pretty nice.

I sincerely believe this should not be underestimated.

A nice and easily understood interface with simple to understand options and clear descriptions/help will no doubt bring a whole new group of users on board as well as making things a little easier for regular users and potentially reducing the amount of support load for more simple things often required from the resident experts...

• 4 months later...

Hum.

:-)

I'm here for unRaid plus Plex... searching and researching on how to do it with the least amount of hassle.

-Alyce

PS: my server parts arrive this Friday, and hopefully I've gleaned enough information to make an easy enough go of it over the weekend :-D

[assuming all my disks preclear handily enough].

::)

oops...posted in wrong thread ...

too many hours watching preclear timing messages......  ;)

-Alyce

ps: I'm a convert from WHS, and am liking the transparency of the unRaid much more than the "user friendliness" [aka no way to begin to pin down errors] of the WHS stuff.

Archived