Recommended controllers for Unraid

Hello guys ! I built my setup recently on a ASRock H310CM-DVS with an i5 8400T.

The MB doesn't have any NVME support and i wanted to add a cache drive to my setup so i bought this while following the recommended controller: https://www.cdiscount.com/informatique/composants-informatiques/carte-d-extension-pcie3-0-x4-a-2-ports-m-2-b-key-c/f-1071311-sod4714229560738.html (Asmedia 1164).

Problem is it's compatible with NVME B_key and not regular M. I got a Crucial P3 plus for cache and i also need at least 2 additional SATA ports for my drives. Do you have a recommendation, i'll return the card i bought.

Thanks !

1 hour ago, Taleoo said:

Problem is it's compatible with NVME B_key and not regular

Yep, ASM1164 is a SATA controller, I think it will be difficult to get 2 SATA ports + NVMe in the same card, don't remember ever seeing anything like that.

26 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Yep, ASM1164 is a SATA controller, I think it will be difficult to get 2 SATA ports + NVMe in the same card, don't remember ever seeing anything like that.

Okay so it's better to get a SATA card with one of the recommended controllers on my PCIEx4 slot and a PCIEx16 card for an NVME slot?

Thanks

EDIT : Maybe something like that PCIe-NVME paired with a JMB585 card like this : JMB585 card NVME ?

Edited by Taleoo
On 11/16/2022 at 2:18 PM, cpu said:

I bought "Die-Wu ASM1166 6 port SATA PCIEx2 adapter from aliexpress" it has red heatsink and red SATA ports on back of card.

PXL_20221116_181127872.thumb.jpg.39c7cb042ee0881e56027428e155d5e4.jpg

In mean time ordered ECS06 just in case and to be honest it's not always an easy task to upgrade this ASM1166.

Even with SilverStone I had couple failes when software didn't recognize my card properly, found out that I already had latest firmware on ECS06 but flashed in anyway - if there are any problems just start flashing software once again until it'll say "It can take some time to detect devices - please be patient".

So let's dive into Die-Wu -> it was not recognized (used same software that came with ECS06) - and firmware was outdated from 2019, but I managed to flash it without any major issues - now it has same firmware (you can check this on POST screen).

where did you get the firmware and flasher to update the ASM1166 - I have this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005225401697.html but it doesnt like me using Powertop --autotune so maybe new firmware will help??

On 3/31/2024 at 2:44 PM, eicar said:

I have a question about the ASMedia chipset ASM1061 for PCIe 2.0 x1 to dual SATA at 500 MB/s each, which is perfect for SATA SSDs at (almost) full speed:

https://www.asmedia.com.tw/product/77BYq58SX3HyepH7/58dYQ8bxZ4UR9wG5

No... it is not.. PCIE 2.0 x1 means a total of 500MB/s bandwidth split over 2 ports.. so fine for HDDs but will bottleneck SSDs. 

PCIE 1.0 250MB/s/lane

PCIE 2.0 500MB/s/lane

PCIE 3.0 1000MB/s/lane (appx)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 10:46 AM, Georg2U said:

Hi all,

That was exactly my problem.

The card finally works.

BEYIMEI PCI-E 4X zu 6-Port SATA3.0 Erweiterungskarte,6 Gbit/s SATA 3.0 PCIe-Karte,PCIe zu SATA-Controller-Erweiterungskarte (ASM1166)

Thank you for the effort.

Works AND allows you to run powertop --auto-tune and get better power saving?

EDIT: Was able to flash my identical card using the Silverstone sourced firmware... have enabled power saving and will wait and see if I lose a random HDD again from the array 

Edited by methanoid

Hello! First of all, I just want to thank @JorgeB and the other mods for how much useful info you have posted over the years! Your advice has me most of the way there, but I have a question before I pull the trigger on one of these two controllers:
Internal 5 Port Non-Raid Sata III 6GB/S M.2 B+M Key Adapter Card for Desktop PC Support SSD and HDD. Jmb585 Chipset

Internal 5 Port Non-Raid Sata III 6GB/S PCI-E X4 Controller Card for Desktop PC Support SSD and HDD with Low Profile Bracket. Jmb585 Chipset

AFAICT, the main difference is that one uses an M.2 port and the other uses a PCI-E X4 slot. I have both available on the ASRock PRO Z790 PRO RS WiFi. However, I don't know what the pros and cons are of using an M.2 vs a traditional PCI-E slot. I'm aware that M.2 is just a form factor that can work with PCI-E, but figure there may still be other important considerations like heat dissipation due to size difference, for example.

Any info you can provide to help me decide between the two would be appreciated!

Also, I apologize if I missed this advice elsewhere in this thread. I did search beforehand but it's possible I missed it.

Edited by timbuckiii
corrected reference to M.2 form factor
1 hour ago, timbuckiii said:

However, I don't know what the pros and cons are of using an M.2 vs a traditional PCI-E slot. I'm aware that M.2 is just a form factor that can work with PCI-E

I would use whatever slot you think you will miss less in the future, they should both perform identically, and these chips run pretty cool, so there shouldn't be any temp issues with either one.

• Like 1