Board and Component Research for HTPC

furymaster

Hi,

I'm currently researching if it is in any way useful to build my own HTPC.

It should run XBMC and play full HD 1080p movies - if possible wireless (yes, I know there are issues, but I do have compressed MKVs, so the bitrate is not as high as uncompressed ISOs).

There is an interesting board - if only I would know that the hardware is capable of the thing I like it to do...

ZOTAC NM10-ITX WiFi http://pdde.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=7&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=209&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

It is equipped with an Atom D510 and WLAN 300 Mbit.

Add some memory, a power supply and a case - done.

Shall I give it a try?

I'm more excited for the Zacate based AMD boards. ION's were a dud along with the "Next Gen" ones so I don't have high hopes for them delivering on the ION 2... however the Zacate's are doing great in benchmarks etc. pulling similar performance to a HD 5450 if not higher. I currently use this card in my HTPC and it works great, however I don't want TV on it so I can't attest to its abilities with that (especially 1080i).

I just built a HTPC using this board :-  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131635&Tpk=AT3IONT-I%20DELUXE

Works pretty well.  1080p re-encodes play fine over wireless,  BD Images are a no go however (over wireless!)  The remote works in XBMC, but there are some redundant buttons.  Bluetooth too which is handy, means my mum can send photos direct from her phone to the pictures directory in XMBC and they appear on the telly :)

The video connection bandwidth is more than enough for Multimedia playback including full BluRay movies. The only time it would ever come into question is if you're trying to run a graphic intensive video game, but of course if you're trying to game on an Atom you have larger issues.  :o

I believe the low power Celerons provide more processing power, however I have not verified that with reviews. The Atom's leave a bit to be desired for CPU-bound tasks, however they do well enough when paired with a nice GPU and GPU-Accelerated software.

If were to buy a new small system for XBMC/HTPC and money wasn't an issue, I'd try to pickup a newer Intel CULV based one.

I just built a HTPC using this board :-  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131635&Tpk=AT3IONT-I%20DELUXE

Works pretty well.  1080p re-encodes play fine over wireless,  BD Images are a no go however (over wireless!)  The remote works in XBMC, but there are some redundant buttons.  Bluetooth too which is handy, means my mum can send photos direct from her phone to the pictures directory in XMBC and they appear on the telly :)

Chris, what operating system are you using on that build?

just as info

i am running openelec xbmc now on my htpc (Asus p5q-em with a core2 duo and 2 gb ram) and it works a dream

no more buffering messages and 1080p straight from an iso file on my unraid without issues

i am using gigabit wired though ..... not a real believer in wireless for anything else then laptops or ipad's

before was running xbmc on w7 64 bit on same hardware and had the buffering from time to time and the 1080p iso's was hit or miss...

only bad thing i find about openelec is that there is no VNC  or similar support ... sometimes i like to tinker at the box while the wife watches normal cable tv and then i can do what i want :P

now i need to fight with the wife to get the tv for me so i can tinker at the box :P

looking now for a mini itx board with a celeron and 4 gb ram to build a dedicated htpc and then the kid can have the computer which is acting as htpc now

Heres a CPU comparison thingy :-

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/91?vs=71

Overall performance was not a consideration for me,  Just needed to be able to play BluRay's and other HD content and it can perfectly well.

The last HTPC I built (using old parts) had an AMD Athlon X2 250 mounted on my old Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H with onboard Radeon 2100 which also worked well.  That one was running XP and I put it in a big Silverstone LC20 case.  The case was crap considering the price,  badly made and badly designed.

I'm running the Dual Core AsRock ION "First Generation" OverClocked to 2.0 on Linux and it seems to play anything I throw at it. It uses the Nvidia Chipset and seems to be very well supported on XBMC.org's website.

The only time I've seen it studder during the fly over of the space station in the beginning watching a 1080P BlueRay rip of Avatar as a MKV. Not sure if it was the bit rate, unRAID keeping up or something else. I haven't tried running directly on the ION directly, but will sometime.

Of course my experience could be anything since I just bought a BlueRay drive and began trying to rip BlueRays.

I've heard several complaints about the ION2. Most where it couldn't keep up with the first generation chipset.

I am extremely happy with my Sandybridge i7 2600k and MSI H67MA-ED55.  The Sandybridge IGP's playback is flawless and reencoding is excellent.  It also runs extremely cool and average core temps are around 20C... I have a Antec Fusion 430 with a Scythe Ninja Mini passively cooled by two Noiseblocker M12-S2's at 50% in the case fan locations and they are dead silent.

It's probably a bit overkill for my purposes but I always like to err on side of over powered so I never wonder "if I had".  Besides, it is cool, quiet and resonably priced.  Abolutely LOVE it; aside from Intel's Cougar point recall... oh well no big deal.