[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

1 hour ago, freeridekid said:

The file does exist with that line in it

Please remove this from your go file:

modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

and reboot.

I don't think this will help but at least you can try.

I'm also not to sure if your CPU is supported, have to do a little more research on a i3-10105

13 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please remove this from your go file:

modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

and reboot.

I don't think this will help but at least you can try.

I'm also not to sure if your CPU is supported, have to do a little more research on a i3-10105

I rebooted and it looks like it worked

So in order to get HW transcoding working in Plex I just need to pass through the igpu within the docker container?

I got it working with Plex, but it won't work with a windows VM. When I assign It to the VM and try to restart it says the following

Execution error

device not found: mediated device '22c13005-b929-4ab9-89af-a603260ae41c' not found

Edit: I read the troubleshooting section and seen it may have no deleted properly. I rebooted the machine and re-assigned it. The VM says it launched, but when I open it I get just a black screen now

Edited by freeridekid
1 hour ago, freeridekid said:

So in order to get HW transcoding working in Plex I just need to pass through the igpu within the docker container?

You activate the iGPU in three different ways like it is set up currently.

You only need the Intel-GPU-TOP, Intel-GVT-g or the modprobe, of course you can install Intel-GPU-TOP and Intel-GVT-g because the are designed to work hand in hand or on it's own.

50 minutes ago, freeridekid said:

The VM says it launched, but when I open it I get just a black screen now

Yes, because GVT-g is now active, please double check that you've setup RDP or any other remote server first so that you can connect through it and not through VNC.

If you haven't configured everything by now just stop the VM and remove the GVT-g vGPU and start the VM back again, configure everything, stop the VM again, assign a new GVT-g vGPU and start the VM again.

9 hours ago, ich777 said:

Yes it should.

IIRC then the guest has to be on the exact same Kernel version as the host, here is the official documentation: Click

But I've never tried it with Linux guests.

ty for answer.

the documentation looks like if i install a ubuntu without desktopenv. (installed manually?) 

will this maybe work too with like kubuntu with alrdy installed kde plasma or parrot os etc. ? or need i to install without desktop envi, install it manually etc and follow documentation? sry for stupid question :D

3 minutes ago, Encore said:

will this maybe work too with like kubuntu with alrdy installed kde plasma or parrot os etc. ? or need i to install without desktop envi, install it manually etc and follow documentation?

The documentation says:

You can prepare any version Ubuntu or any other Linux guest OS image manually. Then you can change the guest kernel to the same kernel as host...

So this means you can take Ubuntu or any distribution that you like and install it manually, but there is nothing mentioned about the desktop environment, so it should be fine if you install a desktop environment or have already a VM with one installed.

Keep in mind this paragraph also means that you have to build a Kernel in and for the VM that reflects the unRAID Kernel that is currently installed.

After you did that you have to create a special X11 file so that it actually uses GVT-g.

To get GVT-g going on Linux seems not like a easy task in any way to me, maybe that's the reason because I've never tried it...

Also keep in mind if you upgrade unRAID, you also have to recompile the Kernel again in your VM so that it matches ther Kernel from the new unRAID version.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, ich777 said:

You activate the iGPU in three different ways like it is set up currently.

You only need the Intel-GPU-TOP, Intel-GVT-g or the modprobe, of course you can install Intel-GPU-TOP and Intel-GVT-g because the are designed to work hand in hand or on it's own.

Yes, because GVT-g is now active, please double check that you've setup RDP or any other remote server first so that you can connect through it and not through VNC.

If you haven't configured everything by now just stop the VM and remove the GVT-g vGPU and start the VM back again, configure everything, stop the VM again, assign a new GVT-g vGPU and start the VM again.

Okay it seems I have everything working now, but now my issue is the VM is stuck at 1024x768 resolution and it won't let me change it

19 minutes ago, ich777 said:

The documentation says:

So this means you can take Ubuntu or any distribution that you like and install it manually, but there is nothing mentioned about the desktop environment, so it should be fine if you install a desktop environment or have already a VM with one installed.

Keep in mind this paragraph also means that you have to build a Kernel in and for the VM that reflects the unRAID Kernel that is currently installed.

After you did that you have to create a special X11 file so that it actually uses GVT-g.

To get GVT-g going on Linux seems not like a easy task in any way to me, maybe that's the reason because I've never tried it...

Also keep in mind if you upgrade unRAID, you also have to recompile the Kernel again in your VM so that it matches ther Kernel from the new unRAID version.

got it, thanks ❤️

but why is this on linux and not on windows too?

unraid and windows didnt use the same kernel, windows have they own

why is windows nearly plug and play with remotedesktop / install intel driver and rdy to go and linux needs to compile the kernel?

i915 drivers are in nearly all public distros ?

or is this a "intel thing" ?

falls du deutsch kannst, kannst auch gerne auf deutsch schreiben - sofern es die regeln zulassen - 😃

Edited by Encore
On 1/27/2022 at 2:18 PM, freeridekid said:

but now my issue is the VM is stuck at 1024x768 resolution and it won't let me change it

I am having the same issue too. Frustrating.

Installed Teamviewer first to this Win10 VM, then Parsec. Parsec errors "-15000" while the Red Hat QXL display driver is active. Disabling the QXL driver allows Parsec to connect. Parsec and TeamViewer both show GPU use. But both are stuck at 1024x768 and cannot be changed while the QXL driver is disabled. Changing the Intel display driver, current and beta, do not fix.

Attached are my diagnostics. I feel dumb, like I've overlooked something simple. The first time Parsec fired up after setting this VM up, it was awesome and full screen. I haven't seen it since. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling Parsec, drivers, etc. With the QXL driver enabled, the resolution is adjustable, but Parsec fails. At least Teamviewer works both ways. 1024 is disappointing though.

Edited by Bait Fish
removed diags. . .
8 hours ago, Encore said:

but why is this on linux and not on windows too?

Because these are two different worlds in terms of the Kernel and how the drivers work.

Think about it this way, the Kernel module i915 is in terms of size about 1MB and the drivers for Windows are about 200MB if I'm not mistaken.

8 hours ago, Encore said:

falls du deutsch kannst, kannst auch gerne auf deutsch schreiben - sofern es die regeln zulassen - 😃

Ja kann ich aber im Englischen Forum beschränke ich mich auf Englisch, ansonsten gibt es noch das Deutsche Unterforum für alle Fragen auf Deutsch. ;)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, freeridekid said:

Okay it seems I have everything working now, but now my issue is the VM is stuck at 1024x768 resolution and it won't let me change it

7 hours ago, Bait Fish said:

I am having the same issue too. Frustrating.

What mode are you using and what have you done so far? Is a display connected to the iGPU?

Does it work with RDP?

@alturismo do you maybe have a guess why it's not possible to change the resolution?

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ich777 said:

@alturismo do you maybe have a guess why it's not possible to change the resolution?

not really much you could do wrong there as long the GPU is injjected properly without errors (device manager, check)

for higher 1024 resolution you should use v4 and not v8

image.png.31cb8efc91b30189b077b19b04271531.png

i always recommend to 1st install Win via VNC, then setup some remote app outside the QXL VNC, add the gvt-g vgpu device, remove the VNC device manually, start VM with gvt-g vgpu only ... to make sure its working, 1st boot will take some time to initialise and install driver.

always working here on windows VM's

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Success! Thanks for the ideas. They worked, slightly modified.

I already had two other remote apps set up, Teamviewer and Parsec. I had hesitated before to remove the VNC device manually. That's why I was only disabling the QXC (VNC) display driver inside the VM in order to get Parsec to work without error. But both remote apps were stuck at 1024x768.

This time I removed the VNC device manually as suggested. Upon shutting down the VM, I edited the XML and removed both graphics (VNC) and video (QXL) portions. I also deleted the gvt-g vgpu device, then started the VM.

Using Teamviewer, it took a minute or two for the small black screen (640x480?) to finally bring up windows desktop and be functional. Checking Device Manager, no display drivers showed (good). I shut down the VM again, added the gvt-g vgpu device (V5_4), and started the VM. Teamviewer is now able to change resolutions, as is Parsec. And has also survived reboots.

Thanks for the help, ich777 and alturismo. And BIG thanks for your contributions. I am continually amazed by how awesome Unraid is.

Edited by Bait Fish
(edited for clarity/grammar)
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, alturismo said:

not really much you could do wrong there as long the GPU is injjected properly without errors (device manager, check)

for higher 1024 resolution you should use v4 and not v8

image.png.31cb8efc91b30189b077b19b04271531.png

i always recommend to 1st install Win via VNC, then setup some remote app outside the QXL VNC, add the gvt-g vgpu device, remove the VNC device manually, start VM with gvt-g vgpu only ... to make sure its working, 1st boot will take some time to initialise and install driver.

always working here on windows VM's

How do you remove the VNC Device manually?

5 hours ago, Bait Fish said:

Success! Thanks for the ideas. They worked, slightly modified.

I already had two other remote apps set up, Teamviewer and Parsec. I had hesitated before to remove the VNC device manually. That's why I was only disabling the QXC (VNC) display driver inside the VM in order to get Parsec to work without error. But both remote apps were stuck at 1024x768.

This time I removed the VNC device manually as suggested. Upon shutting down the VM, I edited the XML and removed both graphics (VNC) and video (QXL) portions. I also deleted the gvt-g vgpu device, then started the VM.

Using Teamviewer, it took a minute or two for the small black screen (640x480?) to finally bring up windows desktop and be functional. Checking Device Manager, no display drivers showed (good). I shut down the VM again, added the gvt-g vgpu device (V5_4), and started the VM. Teamviewer is now able to change resolutions, as is Parsec. And has also survived reboots.

Thanks for the help, ich777 and alturismo. And BIG thanks for your contributions. I am continually amazed by how awesome Unraid is.

I followed these steps exactly with no luck, still stuck at 1024x768 :(

54 minutes ago, freeridekid said:

I just looked and the i3 10105 isn't listed in the supported processors for the intel drivers, that seems strange

That shouldn't matter because the GPU is also a Intel UHD630 but clocked 100Mhz lower than mine (i5-10600).

Do the drivers install?

Maybe start over with a fresh VM and follow the tutorial step by step and see if you can get it working.

EDIT: You can remove the VNC entirely in the XML view.

Just now, ich777 said:

That shouldn't matter because the GPU is also a Intel UHD630 but clocked 100Mhz lower than mine (i5-10600).

Do the drivers install?

Maybe start over with a fresh VM and follow the tutorial step by step.

I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th try haha. I will try once more right now and see how it goes

Just ran through the whole guide start to finish. Get to RDP and everything looks great. Install Parsec and log in and im stuck at 1024x768

Should it show 2 monitors within the display settings when I log in under parsec?

I disabled the QXL controller in device manager and it now only shows one monitor, but I still can't change the resolution

Edited by freeridekid

The last Intel driver I installed before my success was a beta version. When it installed, it warned that it was older than what was already installed. That's the only difference I can think of that may be different from your experience.

[EDIT: My current beta driver version is igfx_win_101.1121 with which I got success. Prior to that was igfx_win_101.1191. That may or may not be related. ]

I never saw two monitors. But thinking back, I don't think I ever checked that detail.

My process may have diverged some from alturismo's. Maybe his would work for you?

Edited by Bait Fish
Driver version info