The Power Supply Thread

dgaschk

• 3 weeks later...

Is a seasonic Platinum powersupply advised nowdays ?

http://www.seasonicusa.com/Platinum_Series.htm

I will have 22 hdd's i think, most of them 7200 RPM.

Is the 860 enough (71 AMP) or better the 1000 (83 AMP)

The drives:

7200 RPM

Hitachi 7K4000 (4TB) (5)

Hitachi HDT721010SLA360  (1TB) (5)

Samsung HD103UJ (2)

green:

Seagate ST2000DL003 (2TB)  (3)

Samsung HD145UI (1.5 TB) (5)

Growth/replacement most likely hitachi 5K3000 / 7K4000

edit: only 22, no more sata ports :(

edit 2: 'only' 11 Sata and 8 molex connectors.

i looked up all the manufacturers specs for my hdd's:

Hitachi      7K4000                             2,0

Hitachi      HDT721010SLA360 1,87

Samsung    HD103UJ               2,4

Samsung    HD145UI               2,0

seagate      ST2000DL003               2,1

All values for Amperage at 12 volts during startup

This would be around 47 amps at startup for the 12 Volt.

• 2 months later...

Hi there hope this isn't too sillier question!! :-[

I'm on the verge of embarking on my first unRAID build and I'm trying to choose a PSU.  Since I have some Amazon vouchers I was hoping to purchase from them.

I see that the 'SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold 650W' is recommended on the first page of this thread, however this one doesn't seem to be available, all I can find is the Seasonic X-660 660W - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-X-660-Watt-Power-Supply/dp/B004DRZI4Y/

Is this a typo on page 1? Or, in the event this is a different PSU, would this be suitable for an unRAID server?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered!

I see that the 'SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold 650W' is recommended on the first page of this thread, however this one doesn't seem to be available, all I can find is the Seasonic X-660 660W - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-X-660-Watt-Power-Supply/dp/B004DRZI4Y/

Is this a typo on page 1? Or, in the event this is a different PSU, would this be suitable for an unRAID server?

Different supply... but in my experience thus far, just as good for UnRAID and other purposes.  I've used both the X650 and X660 Seasonics with great results, whether I am loading a system up with 22 drives, or just 13.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a typo - the x660 is a newer replacement for the x650.  Either would be perfectly suited to use in an unRAID server.  I opted for the x650 even though the x660 was already available for one simple reason - the x650 includes eight molex connectors as standard, while the x660 only includes five.  I required more than five molex because of my plan to install three 5in3 cages, each requiring two power connections, plus an additional molex for one of the case-mounted cooling fans.

I understand that Seasonic are very good at providing additional modular leads if requested - however, since I'm in Philippines, I was concerned that the support from the local distributor may not be as accommodating as that of the manufacturer in the States.

I do not understand this:

2. The minimum capacity that can power your build. Any more will just waste power.

If I have a 500W and only use 100W is the 400W difference going somewhere?

No, you're not wasting 400W, but a power supply is not running at its most efficient when on a light load.  So if you're pulling 100W, a 300W psu will take less power from the mains than would a 600W psu (all other factors being equal).

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a silent PSU (~650W range), with fan. Any recommendations?

I should probably look into 14cm category?

Seasonic X-660.  The Fan doesn't spin at less than 25% load.  I suspect that this would mean that the fan would only spin during parity check/build in most unRAID servers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello folks,

Newbie builder here.  I am working on the parts list for a server that will house 15 disks.  I am considering using  three 5x3 Drive cages.  I understand the power needs and single rail concepts, however I'm new to purchasing power supplies for an application like this and I'm not up to speed (and can't quite figure out) how to tell how many power plugs come with a particular power supply (or which plugs I can use). 

For example, one of the PSUs mentioned (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020) shows the following:

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)

1 x 4+4 Pin CPU

8 x Peripheral

8 x SATA

2 x Floppy

2 x PCI-E

Here are my questions:

Will I use the "Peripheral" plugs or the SATA plugs?  I haven't seen SATA power ports on the Cages (or did I miss that?).

Are the "Floppy" cables available to use as well (do they supply the same power)?

In looking at the Drive Cages, it would appear that you can get away with needing only three power plugs for five drives.  Is that correct?  If I put in three cages, I'd still be one short using this PSU, correct?

Is there a way to daisy-chain additional plugs?  I wouldn't think so, but I'm asking...

How is a large array (ie 15 drives) usually powered?  How or where do you get 15 plugs?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, so I apologize if these are dumb Q's or covered elsewhere. 

Thanks in advance.

...you do not need to populate all power connectors of a cage...typically two would do fine, as each (hotswap-)cage has an internal backplane where the drives connect for signal and power).

Even in a large rackmount, i.e. in a NORCO 24 bay case, each backplane drives 4 disks and uses one (or two for redundancy) power connectors .

In order to drive three cages, you need 6 connectors. some cages offer SATA and Molex-4Pin at the same time.

When using a single rail PSU, each cable should be good for the complete output-amps for safety reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a feeling my PSU may be underrated for my system. Its a corsair 450W.

I've done one of the only PSU calculators and its recommending almost a 600W.

Now, my servr runs ESXI and a number of VMs and i've only seen one issue.

On my UnRaid VM, the drives spin down and i can sometimes loose a drive when they are spinning up.

I'm using the spinup script so all drives spin up together when the server is accessed. (maybe a peak load situation?)

I had one drive do it, i thought the drive was bad so i replaced it, now another drive is doing it. Both were the same model WD 750GB, AAKS/AAKA or something. fairly old.

Specs are

Intel i5 650

Intel Single Socket server Motherboard

~15 HDDs. Mixture of greens and 7200's. 1 raptor.

2x PCIe SATA/RAID/SAS Cards

1x PCI SATA/RAID Card

~4 USB Devices (thumbdrives, TV Tuner, Card Reader)

Corsair VX-450W

Does that sound right? Don't want to buy a new PSU unless i need to :P

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling my PSU may be underrated for my system. Its a corsair 450W.

I've done one of the only PSU calculators and its recommending almost a 600W.

[...]

Intel i5 650

Intel Single Socket server Motherboard

~15 HDDs. Mixture of greens and 7200's. 1 raptor.

2x PCIe SATA/RAID/SAS Cards

1x PCI SATA/RAID Card

~4 USB Devices (thumbdrives, TV Tuner, Card Reader)

Corsair VX-450W

Does that sound right? Don't want to buy a new PSU unless i need to :P

...IMHO this looks like you are short indeed.

Add 2A for each green or "modern" 7.200 plus another 3A for the raptor.

Add 3A for MoBo+CPU

Add 0.5A for each USB (Although they are on 5V, it'll add up anyway)

Add 0.5-1A for each sata-card

...in your 450W PSU...there is no headroom left.

thanks for the reply.

already bought a new one. Silverstone Strider Plus 750W. Single Rail, Modular.

It hasn't fixed my problem, but that drive that was having issues is now always read-balled after 1 read attempt. I think i need to replace it :(

hopefully it should be fine once i replace that drive...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks.  Another newbie here and a first time builder too.  I've got all components on the way for a mini-ITX NAS with a low power CPU (AMD C-60) and space for 6 hard drives (will be running 3 3TB WD Reds initially), so I figure I shouldn't need more than a 300W PSU even after I get up to 6 drives.  The problem is that every review I read of the case (Fractal Design Node 304) recommended a modular PSU for the build and I couldn't find one under 400W.  So I wound up going with the Corsair CX430 (it was a little smaller form factor than the 400W I was looking at and I figured that would help with cable management in such a small case).

Anyway, did I make a mistake?  If I should have gone with a lower power non-modular instead I could still return the Corsair.  Thanks.

Hi folks.  Another newbie here and a first time builder too.  I've got all components on the way for a mini-ITX NAS with a low power CPU (AMD C-60) and space for 6 hard drives (will be running 3 3TB WD Reds initially), so I figure I shouldn't need more than a 300W PSU even after I get up to 6 drives.  The problem is that every review I read of the case (Fractal Design Node 304) recommended a modular PSU for the build and I couldn't find one under 400W.  So I wound up going with the Corsair CX430 (it was a little smaller form factor than the 400W I was looking at and I figured that would help with cable management in such a small case).

Anyway, did I make a mistake?  If I should have gone with a lower power non-modular instead I could still return the Corsair.  Thanks.

For 6 drives I would have gone a bit higher like 500w but you should be fine. 6 drives would need about 220w (assuming 3amp draw avg)  on spin up alone so with even a low power CPU you'd be close to it Max. Aslo if its on 24/7 each year the capacity of the psu will drop so you want head room to account for that.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

For 6 drives I would have gone a bit higher like 500w but you should be fine. 6 drives would need about 220w (assuming 3amp draw avg)  on spin up alone so with even a low power CPU you'd be close to it Max. Aslo if its on 24/7 each year the capacity of the psu will drop so you want head room to account for that.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Marcus.  I didn't realize the capacity of the PSU would degrade over time.  In that case it probably is a good thing I didn't go smaller.  Still not sure I'm understanding your math though.  Is the rule of thumb you're following to go with twice the max PSU wattage that your system requires?  Like I said I'm new to all this but when I use NewEgg's PSU calculator it points me to PSUs in the 250-300W range so not sure what I'm missing here.