Docker apps stopping when parity check runs

dchamb

2 hours ago, dchamb said:

All of them including Plex are in a stopped state every month

This happens to me weekly but only with the appdata backup which I have configured to run weekly.  All docker containers are stopped for this backup.  I have never seen a docker container stopped for a parity check.  Do you perhaps have appdata backup configured to run at the same time as a parity check?

20 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

But the containers start back up once the backup is done.

As I read the OP, it stays down for the duration of the parity check.

That is correct. The containers restart after the parity check finishes. But I also have an appdata backup that runs during the time the parity check runs. My parity checks run a little more than 24 hours.

On 11/28/2021 at 4:08 PM, Hoopster said:

This happens to me weekly but only with the appdata backup which I have configured to run weekly.  All docker containers are stopped for this backup.  I have never seen a docker container stopped for a parity check.  Do you perhaps have appdata backup configured to run at the same time as a parity check?

My parity check runs monthly at the end of the month. It runs for more than 24 hours due to the size of the array.  I also have an appdata backup that runs each day around 2am. However,  the only time the docker servers are stopped are monthly at the end of the month. Once the parity check completes, the dockers resume automatically. 

I have seen posts from others about the same problem I am experiencing, i.e. dockers shutdown during a parity check. It does look like there is an interaction between the appdata backup running at the same time as the parity check. Other posts suggest moving the docker.img to cache along with appdata but I'm not sure how to do that properly.  

25 minutes ago, dchamb said:

Other posts suggest moving the docker.img to cache along with appdata but I'm not sure how to do that properly.  

Go to Settings, stop the Docker service, stop the VM service.

Go to Shares, set appdata and system to Use cache pool : Prefer

Run the mover (it can take a long time as the appdata is generally a lot of small files)

In Shares, verify that all files are on the pool, not the Array (Compute for those two shares)

Once it is finished, reactivate the necessary services from Settings.

15 minutes ago, dchamb said:

I can't get diagnostics to run

Why?  what happens?

23 minutes ago, dchamb said:

This one is crashing on me.

What do you mean?  The issue that you've brought up thus far is that the containers are stopping when a parity check begins.

15 minutes ago, dchamb said:

it invokes a non-correcting parity check which cannot be stopped.

What do you mean that it cannot be stopped?

16 minutes ago, dchamb said:

I'd like to roll back to 6.8.3.

Tools - Update OS and you have the option to restore a previous version

7 hours ago, dchamb said:

I have seen posts from others about the same problem I am experiencing, i.e. dockers shutdown during a parity check

Can you point them out?  I'm curious to investigate as there is no correlation between starts / stops of containers and a parity check happening.

7 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Run the mover (it can take a long time as the appdata is generally a lot of small files)

In Shares, verify that all files are on the pool, not the Array (Compute for those two shares)

Thanks but it seems that unRaid is crashing on me so it is constantly running parity checks. I was able to stop the Docker service, I had no VM services active, I set the appdata and system to Use Cache Pool: Prefer, then ran the mover. I don't see anything changing in the cache. 

I ran unRaid 6.8.3 for nearly 500 days straight with no issues. I updated to 6.9.2 and it's been a nightmare each day. 

25 minutes ago, Squid said:

Why?  what happens?

I went to tools>diagnostics and clicked Download. The diagnostic dump froze up after the first line of display. 

What do you mean? 

The issue that you've brought up thus far is that the containers are stopping when a parity check begins.

Yesterday 6.9.2 froze up gradually. It completed a parity check and found no errors, but gradually I started losing access to the webGUI and then the console. I tried to get diagnostics by tapping the power button on the computer but it eventually locked up shutting down php-fpm. It waited 60 seconds for a graceful shutdown then froze on collecting diagnostics.

What do you mean that it cannot be stopped? I clicked on Cancel at Parity-Check in progress but it had no affect. It kept running.

Tools - Update OS and you have the option to restore a previous version Ok thanks. I don't know if I'll run into incompatibles  with CA apps since that was the reason I went with 6.9.2. One of the CA apps was incompatible with 6.8.3. But 6.8.3 ran almost 500 days straight with no problems.

Can you point them out?  I'm curious to investigate as there is no correlation between starts / stops of containers and a parity check happening.

I'll have to find them again. They are in this forum.

Update: I rolled back to 6.8.3. Everything except the cache drive came back. I restored the cache drive setting and I am now able to run mover to transfer some files to the array that never were moved under 6.9.2. I reenabled Dockers and all my docker containers came back and started. Plex is running again! 

I'd say at least for me 6.9.2 is a no-go.

11 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

I rolled back to 6.8.3 and I was able to do the steps you outlined. However, I don't think the mover did what it was supposed to do (see the attached screen print). Don't I need to change the pathnames in the Docker settings to point to the folder in the pool?

Screenshot - 11_30_2021 , 7_13_47 PM.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20211127-1421.ziptower-diagnostics-20211127-1510.zip

I did find these logs for when I was running 6.9.2. I don't know if they will tell anything about why 6.9.2 was crashing since on the days they were grabbed the system had not crashed yet. 

But I did find a switch in the appdata backup that allows me to select which docker apps to shutdown during the backup. I am currently running a parity check while the backup is is running and my dockers are still running. Keeping fingers crossed!

16 hours ago, dchamb said:

I don't think the mover did what it was supposed to do (see the attached screen print). Don't I need to change the pathnames in the Docker settings to point to the folder in the pool?

Pools are part of user shares, so if the files are on pool in a user share then using the pathname of the user share should work.

But system had some files on the array in that screenshot. Nothing can move open files, but if you actually disabled Docker and VM Manager in Settings, then those system files would not have been open.

Mover won't move duplicates, so that might explain why system still has files on the array. Probably those on the array can be deleted.

20 minutes ago, trurl said:

Pools are part of user shares, so if the files are on pool in a user share then using the pathname of the user share should work.

But system had some files on the array in that screenshot. Nothing can move open files, but if you actually disabled Docker and VM Manager in Settings, then those system files would not have been open.

Mover won't move duplicates, so that might explain why system still has files on the array. Probably those on the array can be deleted.

Ok that makes sense.  I had shutdown docker while running 6.9.2. That's when I first tried mover but the system eventually crashed. 

So if I can get mover to put these folders and files on the cache pool while docker is down, the cache pool will be opened and used by the docker apps once docker is reactivated? Will my CA backup use the cache pool as the source and make a copy of it back to the array backup folder?

6 minutes ago, dchamb said:

So if I can get mover to put these folders and files on the cache pool while docker is down, the cache pool will be opened and used by the docker apps once docker is reactivated? Will my CA backup use the cache pool as the source and make a copy of it back to the array backup folder?

If you are using the user share paths then those paths include any array disks or pools that have the user share

• 1 year later...