Soon™️ 6.12 Series

starbetrayer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, itimpi said:

What do you think it will add to have ext4 support in the array/pools?    You can already read/write ext4 via Unassigned Devices.

Better small file performance, less resource usage/overhead for those of us that don't have expensive servers to host UnRAID on, more robust toolset for recovery and maintenance, and this last one isn't anything technical, but just the trust in a filesystem that's been around forever.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, criminal-auctioneer8616 said:

Better small file performance, less resource usage/overhead for those of us that don't have expensive servers to host UnRAID on, more robust toolset for recovery and maintenance, and this last one isn't anything technical, but just the trust in a filesystem that's been around forever.

I thought that XFS would tick all these boxes, and it has been around forever as well.

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I thought that XFS would tick all these boxes, and it has been around forever as well.

XFS ticks most of those things yes, but it is definitely not as good with smaller files. I appreciate that XFS has more features than EXT4, but EXT4 is quite lighter on the system and not everyone uses/needs those features.

Perhaps it does just come down to trusting the familiar, which I don't think I'm alone in that thought, but I feel that having the choice of just a "basic" filesystem still has its use cases.

On 11/25/2023 at 3:30 PM, criminal-auctioneer8616 said:

XFS ticks most of those things yes, but it is definitely not as good with smaller files. I appreciate that XFS has more features than EXT4, but EXT4 is quite lighter on the system and not everyone uses/needs those features.

Perhaps it does just come down to trusting the familiar, which I don't think I'm alone in that thought, but I feel that having the choice of just a "basic" filesystem still has its use cases.

I don't see any advantage of adding ext4 (con: another choice adds questions).

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...