Soon™️ 6.12 Series

starbetrayer

6 hours ago, itimpi said:

A point that I do not think ZFS supports (could be wrong about this) but BTRFS does is that you can dynamically switch between RAID levels.

This is correct. Raid-Z level reshaping is not possible in zfs. The level needs to be decided at create

Edited by apandey
3 minutes ago, xyzeratul said:

Me not really into the whole ZFS upgrade, so is there anything else interesting in 6.12?

Dashboard Updates, AutoTrim for xfs and btrfs, Linux Multi-Gen LRU, Release bz file restructure - all kinds of stuff!

Edited by xaositek
  • Like 2
Just now, xaositek said:

Dashboard Updates, AutoTrim for xfs and btrfs, Linux Multi-Gen LRU, Release bz file restructure - all kinds of stuff!

Thx, Multi-Gen LRU does sound nice, never thought Unraid would support it so soon, anyway where can I find the full list feature of this upgrade?

10 hours ago, xaositek said:

For anyone curious - test/beta builds are still happening - 6.12.0-rc2.11 just came out

Waiting for the official release... I'm stuck with a white screen after login into the WebGUI. Restarting Nginx and Php doesn't change a thing (error 500). 🥲

12 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You didn't read the notes that mention the list of incompatible plugins that need to be removed/installed beta versions of.

I did at the time and remove all of them, the white screen has appeared suddenly after importing my ZFS Pool and was never able to access it ever since.

Whatever, I abandoned the idea to test the RC release.

Edited by gyto6
2 hours ago, jonathanselye said:

Kernel 6.2 is already stable even Ubuntu's next version is going to release with it as its kernel, and it has full support for intel arc, can we possibly see this on the stable release Soon™ or possibly next RC?

Thanks!

Only a fortune teller can answer this question. Whatever it'll come, soon or later.
I think that Limetech's team has enough work now, and finishing the new Unraid release is above the new kernel, which might be unstable with their solution.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2023 at 7:31 PM, JorgeB said:

There are advantages and disadvantages for both:

array good:

• even if you lose more disks than parity can emulate the data on the remaining good disks can still be read
  • any filesystem corruption will only affect that particular disk
  • you can fully utilize disks of different capacities and if you upgrade just one disk its capacity can be fully used.
  • you can add/remove a single disk or more at any time

array bad:

• performance
  • no zfs self healing

Pools are basically the opposite.

pool good:

• performance
  • zfs self healing

pool bad:

• if you lose more disks than the pool redundancy can recover from the complete pool is gone
  • if the pool filesystem gets corrupted you can lose the whole pool, and while this is rare with zfs it can happen
  • you can use disks of different capacity in raidz but it will only use the capacity of the smallest one, only when all pool disks are upgraded to a larger same size can the pool be expanded
  • you cannot expand a raidz pool with a single disk (at least not for now), you can add another vdev of the same width, say for example you have a 4 disk raidz1 pool, you can add another 4 disks in raidz1 to expand it
  • you cannot remove one or more disks (including a complete vdev) from a raidz pool, mirrors are more flexible but I would guess most are interested in using raidz with zfs

I'm sure I forgot some but these should be the main ones.

Does ZFS keep disks span up for longer, I do like how my disks are mostly sleeping as 99% of constant function is on Cache currently

Edited by Nano
12 hours ago, Nano said:

Does ZFS keep disks span up for longer, I do like how my disks are mostly sleeping as 99% of constant function is on Cache currently

Should behave just the same in the array. Obviously in a multi-drive pool if an access is made to it then all of the pool's drives need to spin up. 

5 hours ago, Nano said:

so I think this would cause more power draw, if you have 3 media files across 3 disks without ZFS, only 1 disk spins up if I access 1 of the files where as in the ZFS Pool all 3 disks spin up. If I understand correctly.

Correct. Data is distributed across drives in zfs raidz, so all disks in a vdev are at play together 

On 1/12/2023 at 5:41 AM, limetech said:

You really want more than 30 devices in a single array?

I hope this will be implemented somewhere in the near future, some of us wants to have a PB server and as of now unraid is no good for that so we are forced to switch to other "NAS Os", Even being released as an "Advanced Toggle" option where we agree to a certain condition before enabling it, i'll take it.