Soon™️ 6.12 Series

starbetrayer

12 hours ago, custom90gt said:

Ditto, just put together a SM826 with 256GB of ram and as a test bed for this.  Still curious if we can add L2ARC and SLOG via command...

It really depends on your user case, for most of the home server,  I don't think it is necessary,  don't use them simply because you can the hardware

• Like 1
12 hours ago, custom90gt said:

Still curious if we can add L2ARC and SLOG via command...

There won't be GUI support for now but you should be able to import a pool with any of those vdev(s):

image.png

To add them to an existing Unraid pool, with the array started drop to the console and manually add the new devices, they should be unassigned at this point, then you just need to re-import the pool, to do that stop the array, unassign all pool devices, start array, stop array, re-assign all pool devices, now including the added vdev(s) and the pool should import again.

• Like 2

I'm curious, does unraid 6.12 bypass shfs (Sharefs) if you use ZFS (and potentially btrfs pools). I find shfs is my biggest bottleneck, and since I exclusively use Btrfs anyway, I'd like to have a way to bypass it. Currently, I have a user script I wrote that rewrites the samba config at startup and then restarts samba lol. That's hacky imo, wish there was an official way to bypass that, especially with stuff like ZFS coming.

On 2/25/2023 at 4:43 PM, Kilrah said:

Huh?

Anything not going through /mnt/user already bypasses it, so it's always been possible to bypass it by addressing the disk/pool directly / resp. setting up disk shares for smb access.

I'm aware of that, but what I mean is, I still want to create individual shares at the directory level (or more specifically, subvolume) for security reasons (each user gets their own share), but not have it run through shfs... in other words, *not* through /mnt/user. A disk share exposes the entire disk/pool, which is undesirable. 

My "hacky script" does exactly that. Since I don't use the unraid array at all, I rewrite the /mnt/user path to /mnt/storage (name of my btrfs pool) in samba's config to bypass the shfs bottleneck.

I also add in shadow copy paths to snapshots so I can have shadow copy support, but at the very least, would be nice to bypass shfs when pools are exclusively used to avoid the bottleneck of shfs on faster networks. 

Edited by JSE
On 1/21/2023 at 8:56 AM, usr.local said:

Nobody looks at that hidden sneaky ass fine print.  All they see is "Unlimited attached storage devices".  If they are going to limit it to 30 drives then they should clearly state it in the purchase agreement. @limetech

Hello! My name is Nobody, because I actually read this before buying.

And for all who is wondering, where is the beta? when will the beta come out etc etc

its been said Soon tm, and Soon tm is not the same as soon!

Here is the real definition of Soon tm:

"Soon™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between *company* and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, *company* does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as *company* will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon.""

Now ←----------- Very Soon™ -------- Soon (Not Soon™)  -------- Soon™ -------- Soon-ish™ --------→ End of Time

• Haha 10
54 minutes ago, isvein said:

And for all who is wondering, where is the beta? when will the beta come out etc etc

"Soon™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between *company* and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, *company* does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as *company* will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon.""

Now ←----------- Very Soon™ -------- Soon (Not Soon™)  -------- Soon™ -------- Soon-ish™ --------→ End of Time

Haha love it, thanks for the good laugh.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, isvein said:

thank you. This is now canon. 

• Upvote 1