[Plugin][BETA] Appdata.Backup

On 4/23/2023 at 12:35 PM, Roddi said:

Don't understand the problem as no settings have been changed....

5 hours ago, Anym001 said:

but I get other warnings in the log.

Warnings are just warnings, no issue here. But I can change that to info.

I need some more time to adjust the beta again, there is another issue.

On 4/22/2023 at 11:44 PM, MothyTim said:

Ok, yes of course, happy to test

Lets go :)

10 hours ago, Anym001 said:

I have now tried my backup with the current beta version.

Could you update as well and upload a new debug log? I saw an issue inside your log and want to confirm its fixed.

10 hours ago, KluthR said:
21 hours ago, Anym001 said:

I have now tried my backup with the current beta version.

Could you update as well and upload a new debug log? I saw an issue inside your log and want to confirm its fixed.

Here the debug.log with the updated version.

Does it make sense to output the following information as info instead of warning?

[25.04.2023 06:54:10][swag][warning] Exclusion "/mnt/cache/appdata/Jellyfin/config/log" matches a container volume - ignoring volume/exclusion pair
[25.04.2023 06:54:11][swag][warning] Exclusion "/mnt/cache/appdata/nextcloud/log" matches a container volume - ignoring volume/exclusion pair
[25.04.2023 06:54:12][swag][warning] Exclusion "/mnt/cache/appdata/vaultwarden/vaultwarden.log" matches a container volume - ignoring volume/exclusion pair

The excludes of "debian-bullseye" and "PhotoPrism" Container are not considered. 

[25.04.2023 06:54:22][Debian-Bullseye][debug] Container got excludes! 
/mnt/cache/appdata/other/debian-bullseye/
[25.04.2023 06:54:22][Debian-Bullseye][info] Calculated volumes to back up: /mnt/cache/appdata/debian-bullseye, /mnt/cache/appdata/other/debian-bullseye/debian.sh
[25.04.2023 07:07:10][PhotoPrism][debug] Container got excludes! 
/mnt/cache/appdata/other/PhotoPrism/
[25.04.2023 07:07:10][PhotoPrism][info] Calculated volumes to back up: /mnt/cache/appdata/photoprism/config, /mnt/cache/appdata/other/PhotoPrism/.ppignore

ab.debug.log

1 hour ago, Anym001 said:

Does it make sense to output the following information as info instead of warning?

IMO thats worth a warning.

1 hour ago, Anym001 said:

The excludes of "debian-bullseye" and "PhotoPrism" Container are not considered

They are not exact matches, so this is working as expected. I dont resolve any path matching syntax. Thats tars task. Only if a mapping is exact listed 1:1 inside exclusion, I dont event take it to tar.

So, I assume all current issues are now fixed. @MothyTimYour nc should be backing up now as well.

1 hour ago, KluthR said:

They are not exact matches, so this is working as expected. I dont resolve any path matching syntax. Thats tars task. Only if a mapping is exact listed 1:1 inside exclusion, I dont event take it to tar.

Many thanks for the information and the prompt adjustments.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the feedback. Do you already know a potential source for such a custom script?

And another question.

If I want to keep a backup version forever, is it ok to just rename the folder to some name which does not match the date format of the normal backup folders, so it is protected against automatic deletion ?

On 12/12/2023 at 2:28 PM, Marty56 said:

Thanks for the feedback. Do you already know a potential source for such a custom script?

Just built yourself a bash script with a cp command and make use of the plugin custom scripts feature. It calls your script with arguments. One of them is the current backup path.

and yes: renaming a backup folder will make it permanent

Edited by KluthR
  • 1 month later...

I have been using the beta for a while with no issues at all. Seems quite stable. I've even done a few restores already and that worked, too. It took a while to figure out but I was even able to migrate my config file from stable -> beta

I have a feature request but it's more of a nice-to-have than a must-have. I hope you don't mind me posting it here. Would it be possible to integrate a faster way to do a manual backup of one or a few containers? At the moment, to do a manual backup of for example a single container, we have to take a screenshot of current "skip?"-settings, put all other containers except the one we want to back up on "Skip? - Yes", do the manual backup and then use the screenshot (or recreate them by heart) to put the skip settings back to how they were before. It would be very cool if there was, for instance, a checkbox next to the container names somewhere, which is coupled to the manual backup button to quickly tell it which containers you would like to manually back up

At a later stage, such a checkbox could even be expanded to something like a batch edit functionality if you want, so you can batch change backup settings for multiple containers at once, including the skip settings. But just the manual backup thing would already be very cool

Edited by BlueBull
3 hours ago, KluthR said:

Feature was already being requested (https://github.com/Commifreak/unraid-appdata.backup/issues/12) but I didnt saw a quick way of implement that.

A quick hack of the settings regarding the "Skip?" seems a great way! I would prefer a new internal flag to adjust the logging to that single-backup wish, but yes, this should be "easily" implementable.

Oh, I wasn't aware there was a GitHub for this plugin. I should have known though, since I now realize there's a raw.githubusercontent.com link to the PLG in the original post and I know that can be used to find the underlying repository. Apologies for the double request

Lol, yes, I know that in development, things that on the surface and/or for a layman seem easy to implement, rarely actually are. If it ever materializes, great and if not then I'm still just as grateful for the enormous amount of effort you put in to develop this and share it with us. If there's any way in which I could help with this request or with something else (providing logs, testing, feedback,....) don't hesitate to let me know, I'll gladly do so

Edited by BlueBull
  • 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

1) You don't want to put your backup destination into the appdata share itself

2) Is that folder actually on the cache drive? What's your share configuration for the appdata share?

i maded a backup, and now i created a ¨cache¨ as main storage, and i want to restore everything, its because the restore folder its in appdata? i need to move it outside from there?