[Support] - Unifi-Controller: Unifi. Unraid. Reborn.

On 6/6/2024 at 4:35 AM, JonathanM said:

Export Site is only enabled if there are multiple sites defined in your install.

What does that mean? I have multiple sites each with their own Dream Machine with their own built-in "Cloud Key"

On 6/6/2024 at 6:17 AM, PeteAsking said:

You didnt actually answer my troubleshooting step regarding "Sync Local Admins with SSO".

Did you do this and then try a restore and ensure that you can login with your unifi email and password?

eg login to https://unifi.ui.com/ with your email and this should also work logging into the local device with that option. This would ensure a login synced to unifi can access the controller then restoring it should still work. The username is then synced from unifis servers - no need for local admins to work.

You have to do all the troubleshooting steps not just pick a couple here and there.

Yes I did, I can login locally with both the local credentials and the SSO credentials. Neither work post site-restore. Any chance you can help me with some Mongo Queries to identify what is happening?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Dynamiteboy said:

What does that mean? I have multiple sites each with their own Dream Machine with their own built-in "Cloud Key"

Yes I did, I can login locally with both the local credentials and the SSO credentials. Neither work post site-restore. Any chance you can help me with some Mongo Queries to identify what is happening?

I don’t know how to fix this issue or how to manipulate unifi’s database. Please can you open a thread on unifi’s support forum and ask them what you are supposed to do if the restore procedure from a UDM to a docker container does not allow you to login post restore. You can link the opened thread here in case they say something but nobody else has the issue so it’s something specific to your setup that’s caused some corruption or issue. 

Im not sure at this stage if the UDM failed if you even have a valid backup at this time. 

Edited by PeteAsking
3 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

I don’t know how to fix this issue or how to manipulate unifi’s database. Please can you open a thread on unifi’s support forum and ask them what you are supposed to do if the restore procedure from a UDM to a docker container does not allow you to login post restore. You can link the opened thread here in case they say something but nobody else has the issue so it’s something specific to your setup that’s caused some corruption or issue. 

Im not sure at this stage if the UDM failed if you even have a valid backup at this time. 

I will do that, but are you able to replicate on your end? Are you sure restores work fine for you too? Or have you never attempted?

• Upvote 1

I think everyone or near 100% of people on this thread had to do a restore from the Linuxserver container to this one but they were all probably docker backup to docker restore. Unsure if anyone has done a udm to docker conversion. Most of us use a firewall like opnsense so don’t have a udm (hence the need for a docker container to begin with). 

8 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

I think everyone or near 100% of people on this thread had to do a restore from the Linuxserver container to this one but they were all probably docker backup to docker restore. Unsure if anyone has done a udm to docker conversion. Most of us use a firewall like opnsense so don’t have a udm (hence the need for a docker container to begin with). 

Got it, okay makes sense. I opened a ticket with Unifi.

1 hour ago, PeteAsking said:

If possible post the link so we can see what they say

I opened and actual support ticket since I own the hardware under warranty to hopefully get better support. Its not public but I will report back if I can get it resolved.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Dynamiteboy said:

I opened and actual support ticket since I own the hardware under warranty to hopefully get better support. Its not public but I will report back if I can get it resolved.

When moving from physical hardware, you have to choose the backup option file with last 30 days to generate and rebuild the database. Your recovery file may be corrupted and restoring form a bad or mismatched version (hardware running newer to older) will not restore.

Since Unif moved to mongo for its DB. Mongo needs to recreate the db file. When moving from physical hardware to docker the database created are named differently.

In Docker you would need to delete the database folder after a restore tomaybe regain and have unifi recreate. Doing that would delete all adopted devices and some configuration along with any stats. Or go to a factory reset install of unifi and restore at the setup part. as setup would create the database pathing needed. see unifi support:
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006634094-UniFi-Repairing-Database-Issues-on-the-UniFi-Network-Application

In your case i would recommend the LXC version to then use and install other tools to go in and edit if needed.

26 minutes ago, bmartino1 said:

When moving from physical hardware, you have to choose the backup option file with last 30 days to generate and rebuild the database. Your recovery file may be corrupted and restoring form a bad or mismatched version (hardware running newer to older) will not restore.

Since Unif moved to mongo for its DB. Mongo needs to recreate the db file. When moving from physical hardware to docker the database created are named differently.

In Docker you would need to delete the database folder after a restore tomaybe regain and have unifi recreate. Doing that would delete all adopted devices and some configuration along with any stats. Or go to a factory reset install of unifi and restore at the setup part. as setup would create the database pathing needed. see unifi support:
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006634094-UniFi-Repairing-Database-Issues-on-the-UniFi-Network-Application

In your case i would recommend the LXC version to then use and install other tools to go in and edit if needed.

@bmartino1 I’m not clear on your suggestion for him. It sounds like you are saying he might have to setup from scratch. So is a backup file from a UDM incompatible with a docker setup?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

@bmartino1 I’m not clear on your suggestion for him. It sounds like you are saying he might have to setup from scratch. So is a backup file from a UDM incompatible with a docker setup?

That's correct, the udm is running a arm version 1 level higher. there are some small difference in execution and config in the restore file. due to x86 vs arm code.

it is possible to transfer. but very hard.

Its designed to be able to move from docker to there hardware. Using unfi backup and other stuff it is possible to go back the other way:

https://github.com/aessing/unifi-udm-backup

I only know how to run the restore from this backup form arm to docker. Which is why I recommend the LXC.

Edited by bmartino1
data / speling
39 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

to be clear as it has been done and documented. there restore file is garbage and needs to be recreated.

Backup info form unifi:
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008976393-UniFi-Backups-and-Migration

They would need to really need to watch the unifi version and code. and be running the lattest network application to maintain versions

2 minutes ago, bmartino1 said:

to be clear as it has been done and documented. there restore file is garbage and needs to be recreated.

Backup info form unifi:
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008976393-UniFi-Backups-and-Migration

They would need to really need to watch the unifi version and code. and be running the lattest network application to maintain versions

That Reddit link seems to suggest he can do a site export/import but he said he does not have a site export option so why would that be?

udms are always surprising me how shit they are. So glad I never used or bought one. 

My friend own one and its only great feature that we used it for is telport(quick vpn). They are a pain to configure and setup due to nat issues. but otherwise great firewalls and systems for the security cameras and ap setup.

not sure his configuration and why they woulnd't have a site export option.
May have been a legacy feature:
https://community.ui.com/questions/CloudKey-Plus-Gen2-Unifi-Controller-missing-top-right-menu-with-site-options/f0730e5f-53c0-4e97-8893-c6b8bb88ecc6?page=2

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, bmartino1 said:

My friend own one and its only great feature that we used it for is telport(quick vpn). They are a pain to configure and setup due to nat issues. but otherwise great firewalls and systems for the security cameras and ap setup.

not sure his configuration and why they woulnd't have a site export option.
May have been a legacy feature:
https://community.ui.com/questions/CloudKey-Plus-Gen2-Unifi-Controller-missing-top-right-menu-with-site-options/f0730e5f-53c0-4e97-8893-c6b8bb88ecc6?page=2

@bmartino1 ok you are a genius. We should just do whatever you say. 

@Dynamiteboy the dude on reddit above found site export somehow. Can’t you look for it like he did?

I appreciate your candor. My no means am I a genius, I have my moments from my own curiosity and experiences. With all things on the internet, things should be taken with a grain of salt. More guidelines than what to do.

Recently my friend with the udm also grabbed a usg and wanted to run this docker unfi with the usg by importing the udm config. This is where my experience in this matter happened.

• Upvote 1

From UniFi "It's important to understand that login credentials are not restored during a backup migration. These credentials are specific to the device where they were created." 

So I did a fresh install -> created local credentials -> Logged in -> Then restored, and still the creds don't work.

Is there something unique about the restore process for the docker you built? or unique about the database? All the other dockers have separate databases so I am wondering if that is causing something.

2 hours ago, Dynamiteboy said:

From UniFi "It's important to understand that login credentials are not restored during a backup migration. These credentials are specific to the device where they were created." 

So I did a fresh install -> created local credentials -> Logged in -> Then restored, and still the creds don't work.

Is there something unique about the restore process for the docker you built? or unique about the database? All the other dockers have separate databases so I am wondering if that is causing something.

What you are saying sounds strange to me because that’s not my experience with the restore process. Can anyone else confirm this?

24 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

What you are saying sounds strange to me because that’s not my experience with the restore process. Can anyone else confirm this?

When I restored my lsio backup to this container, all my credentials were transferred.

See if this thread helps

https://community.ui.com/questions/Migrate-From-UDM-Pro-to-UXG-Pro-and-Windows-Controller-Advice-Needed/4ec2f4fd-b7d2-4cf2-b756-bcef632b0c5a?page=2

Posted (edited)

That guy seemed to have the same issue going from UDM ---> docker but I dont understand how he resolved it.

It also seems like the UDM cannot be controlled or adopted so even if you can migrate the UDM must be abandoned for another firewall at that point. Unclear if @Dynamiteboy is happy to throw away the firewall or not/is aware.

Edited by PeteAsking
9 minutes ago, meep said:

A bit late to the party, but I found the process of migrating from old Unifi-Controller to this a little obtuse with a few speed bumps along the way. I documented my process for my future self, but it may help others.

https://mediaserver8.blogspot.com/2024/06/migrating-deprecated-unifi-docker-on.html

The issue for him is that a UDM does not support the site export feature you used. 

15 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

That guy seemed to have the same issue going from UDM ---> docker but I dont understand how he resolved it.

It also seems like the UDM cannot be controlled or adopted so even if you can migrate the UDM must be abandoned for another firewall at that point. Unclear if @Dynamiteboy is happy to throw away the firewall or not/is aware.

Yes I am selling the UDM-Pro and moving to the Gateway Max which is controllerless.