The Unraid Story: Lime Tech Co-CEO's Discuss the Past and Future of Unraid OS

On this very special episode of the Uncast Show, we are joined by the Founder and CEO of Lime Technology, Tom Mortensen @limetech, and Co-CEO Tiffany Jones @tiffanyj to talk about the origins of Unraid OS, the evolution of the product over the past 18+ years, and some upcoming changes to the company to better align the product and user's desires in Unraid 7 and beyond.

Tom and Tiffany share their personal career journeys and take us down memory lane as Unraid incorporated VMs and Docker containerization, GPU passthrough (a decision that dramatically shifted the course of the company with Linus Tech Tips), made key hires to expand the team, and talk about some key projects and initiatives that got the company where it is today.

The conversation shifts gears to the future and goes into the upcoming changes to Unraid's pricing model for new licenses and why this change is crucial and necessary for sustaining the company and improving the product for all in the years to come. Please refer to our blog for full details on the upcoming pricing change.

Wrapping up the episode, we'll get a first look at Unraid 7 and explore some exciting future OS features and projects such as making the unRAID array optional, integrating and maintaining plugins into the OS, VM Snapshots and cloning, the "Hardware Database," the "My Friends Network," a new Unraid website, a public, open-source Unraid API and much, much more.

We truly hope you enjoy this episode.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I watched this and it was very informative. I really liked the new licensing model, since it will allow the company to thrive w/o having to always seek new users. Van Dyke (who make my favourite ssh client) uses a 'updates' cost model so they can continue to develop.

Great and informative show.

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, symgryph said:

I watched this and it was very informative. I really liked the new licensing model, since it will allow the company to thrive w/o having to always seek new users. Van Dyke (who make my favourite ssh client) uses a 'updates' cost model so they can continue to develop.

Great and informative show.

Thank you for listening 😃

Great and interesting video!!  Thankyou Ed, Tom & Tiffany.

We live in the unRAID world (x2 servers) just like we live in the Apple world... We just chose one or the other ;-).  I upgrade because the upgrade is there.  Otherwise if it is not broken... Why fix it?  SO yep, I support the new licensing approach 🙂. Never thought previously about licensing, etc, until I listened to this podcast.  It's great to hear how you're trying to grow the unRAID product.

unRAID forums, SpaceInvader's videos and squid (Andrew) are priceless for IT dumbass people like me 🙂

Just on help and available community info Tom had in mind from the beginning; Feedback I can provide is unRAID is a wonderful community for help and 99.0% of time one can find the solution by committing just slight extra time to the forums "search" function.  

THANKYOU to the unRAID; team, contributors and moderators ---> I want to see you all do well in the future.  

EdITED BiT: Typo.

Edited by RadRom
  • Like 1

Like you, I'm happy with the "upgrade because it's there" philosophy, especially when it's a product I rely on and trust. The unRAID community, including the forums, SpaceInvader's videos, and Andrew's contributions, are invaluable resources for us "IT dumbass people."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...