Tvheadend plugin for unRAID V5.0

I cannot seem to find 12a with MediaTree and TBS, the latest I can find is from piotrasd: https://truck.it/p/Z5ZmFlCsMH. If you don't have the TBS tuner and aren't planning on getting it prior to unRAID 5 final. You can use my build it has everything RC12a has and MediaTree, it also has the drivers for a HDHomeRun but it won't cause any issues if you don't have one. http://goo.gl/ByxtR

Hope that helps!

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Reginald, the link to Piostrads files is actually for 12a  :D.

It appears to have installed but I cannot access the admin page now,just keep getting 401 unauthorised. Weirdly when I was messing about earlier I installed the W_W plg and could access the admin page without issue. Once I rebooted to install the bzroot and bzimage files I couldn't access the main tower page.

Im going to have to keep my fingers crossed for a proper plg file in the near future I think.

Ive tried by going through the IP all the time,if I try via tower:9981 I get the login box but its blank. Populating it with the default username etc doesn't get me in either.

I cant think what I am doing wrong...other than being really dense and missing something silly lol

Well this is interesting I have just rebooted the server and I am now in the TVH webpage. I didn't need to enter a username or password. Does this matter?

I am sure that I can address that if I read up on TVH.

Thanks again Reginald for the help so far. 

TVH will log you in with a auto created account the first time. You can (and should) add a new users, then TVH will prompt you from then on, make sure to remove the auto created account but only after you have saved the changes to the new admin account.

You are a legend, can't wait to receive the hdhomerun dual and set it up. I think it's great to have an unraid server running everything, for me it will be a dlna server, plex, backup server, transmission torrent downloader and now pvr as well. Just makes unraid even more amazing..

Haha, well thanks, I had a lot of help from other posts but now that the environment is setup the rebuild will be a bit more simplistic.

What are you using for your DLNA server? I use Plex to access my content from my PS3 via DLNA, as well as a couple of Rokus and Android tablets.

My unRAID server does, Plex, SB, SAB, CP, Transmission, PVR, DNS and Samaba (for XBMC), all on a Core2Duo. Pretty crazy. I have lost 2 drives so far with 0 data loss, which to me is invaluable.

Hope you find unRAID as awesome and time saving as I have.

Just waiting on it to arrive now buddy  :D

Yes, sorry im using plex for IOS devices, iPhones, iPad etc and I also have a htpc in the living room which uses OPENELEC.

Im using a similiar setup and have not had any drive failers so far but this a new setup.

Is it easy to setup tvheadend plugin with hdhomerun and then xbmc? are u using a dedicated htpc as well  8)

at this point I have one simple request.

could someone, in a single post, please do a quick write up of the steps they took to get a tvheadend plugin working from start to finish please.

i think it would help a lot of users and reduce a mass of duplicate posts, but i KNOW it would help me a lot.

thanks in advance. x

Ironicbadger, I've been running WW's tvheadend build for a while and have been wanting to upgrade for some time, but haven't been able to do it either.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the install itself should be fairly easy (taken from CHBMB's post a few pages back): grab libidn and tvheadend from https://truck.it/p/Vq3zpArAKB, copy them to your flash (/boot) and add the following to your go file, changing the paths to where you put your files:

# TVHeadEnd Install
installpkg /boot/packages/libidn-1.19-i486-1.txz
installpkg /boot/packages/tvheadend-20130426-i686-1PTr.txz
sleep 10 && sudo -u root tvheadend -c /mnt/cache/.apps/tvheadend -u nobody -g video -f

Doing this, however, I can't seem to access the web interface with any user/password combination. With the firstrun (-C) argument I can access the webui, but changes aren't being saved - restarting tvheadend (not unraid) will set all settings to default. This is probably because the /mnt/cache/.apps/tvheadend directory isn't being created, but I can't figure out why...

As it always is, this was a problem with the permissions; tvheadend doesn't create the new config dir, so I created it (with root user), but tvheadend didn't have read/write running as nobody. Running tvheadend as root didn't, oddly enough, work either.

Setting owner of the new config dir to nobody fixed the problem.

So to sum up how to install the updated tvheadend:

Download the files and modify your go file

Create the new config dir and make sure the owner is nobody

Launch tvheadend with the -C flag and create an admin user in the webui

Restart tvheadend, sign in and start setting up

Sorry for a stupid question, for all HDHOMERUN users...

Since our tuner is a network tuner, does that mean the tvheadend plugin will detect the hdhomerun attached to a router on the same lan or does it actually have to be plugged into the unraid computer? sorry if this is a dumb question but Im awaiting delivery and want to get straight into it. Ive installed the plugin and it says media tree not detected, replaced my bzroot etc with reginalds and now it detects the hdhomerun but doesnt detect the tuner... just want some info before I receive it.

Ironicbadger, I've been running WW's tvheadend build for a while and have been wanting to upgrade for some time, but haven't been able to do it either.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the install itself should be fairly easy (taken from CHBMB's post a few pages back): grab libidn and tvheadend from https://truck.it/p/Vq3zpArAKB, copy them to your flash (/boot) and add the following to your go file, changing the paths to where you put your files:

# TVHeadEnd Install
sleep 10 && sudo -u root tvheadend -c /mnt/cache/.apps/tvheadend -u nobody -g video -f

Doing this, however, I can't seem to access the web interface with any user/password combination. With the firstrun (-C) argument I can access the webui, but changes aren't being saved - restarting tvheadend (not unraid) will set all settings to default. This is probably because the /mnt/cache/.apps/tvheadend directory isn't being created, but I can't figure out why...

I should probably note that I haven't actually tried a fresh install of the updated tvheadend; I can still kill the process, reinstall WW's tvheadend through the unraid webui and start the old tvheadend with all the old settings. It would probably be a good idea for me to remove WW's plugin, restart the tower and install the updated tvheadend plugin as per the instructions above. I don't know why that would change anything though, since I can actually start and access the updated tvheadend, but I can't explain why the config dir isn't being created... In my case, WW's plugin is using /mnt/cache/.appdata/tvheadend/.htsconfig which works great, my go file with the updated tvheadend is using /mnt/cache/.appdata/.tvheadendnew which isn't being created.

thanks, i got as far as this myself as well. installed but required the -C flag, but didn't save changes (due to the dir not being created i suspect).

Im the first to admit that Im a Linux newbie and even bigger Unraid newb. But re the install of tvheadend in the go script you are using I have one thing to ask that I have discovered from my hacking around in there.

Have you actually got a directory named mnt/cache/.apps?

Im not sure that Unraid will create them?

Since our tuner is a network tuner, does that mean the tvheadend plugin will detect the hdhomerun attached to a router on the same lan or does it actually have to be plugged into the unraid computer? sorry if this is a dumb question but Im awaiting delivery and want to get straight into it. Ive installed the plugin and it says media tree not detected, replaced my bzroot etc with reginalds and now it detects the hdhomerun but doesnt detect the tuner... just want some info before I receive it.

Castro,

You can plug it in any place on your LAN, that is the beauty of the device. You could have the device sit in an attic or unused space in your home, as long as there is power and Ethernet.

Did you run the initial HDHomeRun utility? I used my Windows box to do the initial config, you then choose how you want the HDHomeRun to send the stream in such a way that TVH will pick it up.

I have used this post for some of the pieces in getting this set up, it is a bit different as the poster is using Ubuntu but if you use it for the broader strokes it should do just fine: https://www.lonelycoder.com/redmine/boards/14/topics/3368

Good luck!

Reg

# TVHeadEnd Install

I should probably note that I haven't actually tried a fresh install of the updated tvheadend; I can still kill the process, reinstall WW's tvheadend through the unraid webui and start the old tvheadend with all the old settings. It would probably be a good idea for me to remove WW's plugin, restart the tower and install the updated tvheadend plugin as per the instructions above. I don't know why that would change anything though, since I can actually start and access the updated tvheadend, but I can't explain why the config dir isn't being created... In my case, WW's plugin is using /mnt/cache/.appdata/tvheadend/.htsconfig which works great, my go file with the updated tvheadend is using /mnt/cache/.appdata/.tvheadendnew which isn't being created.

thanks, i got as far as this myself as well. installed but required the -C flag, but didn't save changes (due to the dir not being created i suspect).

You should create an apps share rather than a hidden folder, v5 has the ability to create the folder/share and let the mover know to leave the apps directory alone.

Castro,

You can plug it in any place on your LAN, that is the beauty of the device. You could have the device sit in an attic or unused space in your home, as long as there is power and Ethernet.

Did you run the initial HDHomeRun utility? I used my Windows box to do the initial config, you then choose how you want the HDHomeRun to send the stream in such a way that TVH will pick it up.

I have used this post for some of the pieces in getting this set up, it is a bit different as the poster is using Ubuntu but if you use it for the broader strokes it should do just fine: https://www.lonelycoder.com/redmine/boards/14/topics/3368

Good luck!

Reg

Thanks Reg, cant wait to set this up  ;D

I havent received the device so havent run it yet, is it in the link you provided? Im sure it wont be too hard.

Castro,

Good luck!

Reg

I havent received the device so havent run it yet, is it in the link you provided? Im sure it wont be too hard.

He does it via Ubuntu. In Windows it is as simple as installing the utility, it runs through the wizard checking to see if you can see the HDHomeRun, asks you to scan and what you are going to send the signal to (TVH is an option). Then it is as simple as installing the TVH plugin (I use OpenELEC too) and pointing it at TVH. Setting up TVH with guide data and a few other things is more what the link was for, he kind of assumes you are already there.

You should create an apps share rather than a hidden folder, v5 has the ability to create the folder/share and let the mover know to leave the apps directory alone.

Figured it out, check my updated post.

On a side note, and it's actually quite amazing how I'm able to get these things working considering my complete lack of unix skills, how does one stop the tvheadend process properly? I mean, without just killing it?

Castro,

Good luck!

Reg

He does it via Ubuntu. In Windows it is as simple as installing the utility, it runs through the wizard checking to see if you can see the HDHomeRun, asks you to scan and what you are going to send the signal to (TVH is an option). Then it is as simple as installing the TVH plugin (I use OpenELEC too) and pointing it at TVH. Setting up TVH with guide data and a few other things is more what the link was for, he kind of assumes you are already there.

I cant see the TVH option in the applications section of the utility? therefor still seeing DVB tuner: not detected.

This is in the windows utility by the way, I see xbmc, sagetv, beyondtv etc but no tvh?? Can u check on your end Reg.

Castro,

Good luck!

Reg

I cant see the TVH option in the applications section of the utility? therefor still seeing DVB tuner: not detected.

This is in the windows utility by the way, I see xbmc, sagetv, beyondtv etc but no tvh?? Can u check on your end Reg.

Sorry, I am not sure what I was remembering but DVB: Other (I think, I am at work and can't look) should do the trick!

Castro,

Good luck!

Reg

Sorry, I am not sure what I was remembering but DVB: Other (I think, I am at work and can't look) should do the trick!

I'll try it again with other option, can you check when you get home. Have spent hours on this today and yesterday :(

Edit: Still not working with Other: DVB-T & Other: Registry when I switch them it updates the hdhomerun device and I stop my array and restart the unraid box.

Not giving up yet.....

I just don't get this: WW's tvheadend has been working flawlessly with my HDHomerun Dual on rc4, rc8a and rc12a. Piotrasd's tvheadend sometimes works, but mostly it doesn't and it's never failing in the same way twice.

If I boot unraid and install WW's plg, tvheadend works great. If I stop tvheadend through the unraid webui and through SSH install and start the updated version:

installpkg /boot/custom/tvheadend/tvheadend-20130426-i686-1PTr.txz
tvheadend -c /mnt/cache/.appdata/tvheadendnew -u nobody -g video -f

XBMC on my HTPC (OpenELEC) can usually start streaming the first one or two channels I try to watch. At some point XBMC will display "Connection lost" / "No input detected" / "Access denied" / "Disconnected from Tvheadend", and tvheadend will have stopped working. Most of the time I can still access the tvheadend webui, but sometimes I can't - when it's accessible, everything is loading REALLY slow, though...

If I stop tvheadend through the unraid webui (the updated version - the plugin seems to handle stopping the process fine even though it didn't start it originally), reinstall WW's build and start it, it's giving me the same errors as the updated version does (remember, WW's build works fine upon bootup). The webui is still accessible and it's clearly the old tvheadend running.

WW's tvheadend's config dir is /mnt/cache/.appdata/tvheadend.

I'm not expecting a solution, but maybe someone could point me in the right direction?

EDIT: I haven't enabled anything in the updated tvheadend that wasn't working in the old version (timeshifting etc.).

Did anyone figure out a good way to get EPG data into TVHeadend or VDR? I've used TVHeadend on XBMCBuntu, but never got EPG working on unRAID with TVHeadend. I'm in the US and have Schedules Direct paid subscription.

I just want to put my tuner cards into my server and run smaller XBMC boxes on the front-end. I don't care if it's TVHeadend or VDR. I just need it to work reliably, and be installable. A plug-in is nice, but searching through the thread was really frustrating to get it working, only to find no EPG was available without copying it from another machine.

Oh, and the firmware for my other tuners (AverMedia A180)... sigh... I put my two Hauppauge HVR-1250 cards in, in hopes that a plug-in with EPG would become available, but it's been a while.