Tvheadend plugin for unRAID V5.0

Why instead of building a whole new kernel image to replace unraid one you don't just provide a package to install media tree modules (and firmwares) and then do something like a 'depmod -a' and 'udevadm trigger' to load driver?  I'm not sure if it will work for any kind of dvb cards but I did tried it with my two usb dvb-t adapters (e3c ec168 and af9015) and it works fine.

This is an interesting approach. I wouldn't even know where to start with this, do you think you can share your knowledge with us? How did you install the media tree and firmware with unRAID running?

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no big trick on it... what I did was just compile kernel matching unraid kernel version but with media tree added (as modules, there are instructions for that on the forum...) and then, instead of use the newly created kernel image to replace unraid one, just do something like the instructions below to create a package with just media tree module files, ready to be installed on running unraid:

...being on /usr/src/linux as current dir, i.e. after doing 'make' to build kernel...
mkdir ~/modules
mkdir ~/newpkg
make modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=~/modules
cd ~/modules/
cp -r --parents lib/modules/`uname -r | cut -d"-" -f1`-unRAID/kernel/drivers/media ~/newpkg
cd ~/newpkg/
mkdir lib/firmware
...add firmware files to ~/newpkg/lib/firmware...
mkdir install
echo 'depmod -a' > install/doinst.sh
echo 'udevadm trigger' >> install/doinst.sh
makepkg /boot/nars/mediatree.tgz

then when we installpkg this new package it will copy module and firmware files  to the right paths and 'udevadm trigger' should 'force' udev to load driver for already connected devices... and surely tvheadend will need to be executed only after this package is installed.

Btw as I said I don't know why no one else is apparently doing this... I don't know if it will work with every card or if there is any disadvantage on doing this... but from my tests it seems to work just fine.

Any idea guys why tvheadend keeps preventing my array from stoping? It started a couple of days ago when unraid got stuck with

Stop SMB...Spinning up all drives...Sync filesystems...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)................

Isn't tvheadend supposed to turn off when I stop the array? I used the tuturial on github to install it, no plg file...

Can't help you, but mine shuts down with no problems, and I set mine up from github and didn't use the plg either, not particularly experienced with Linux but pretty sure there's a way via telnet to bring up processes to help debug why the array can't unmistakable disks.  I'll have a quick google...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Found this is another thread if it's any help.

All drives in the arry say stopped.  The Cache drive still says Unmounting and the status says Stopping.  Sooo... I can't add a device.  Not sure what to do at this point.  Reboot from the command line?  If I do that it will kicj off a parity check, and I will have to wait for that to finish before trying to stop the array again.

Type

lsof /mnt/cache

and

fuser -mv /mnt/cache

and see what process is keeping the disk from being un-mounted.

Then, type

kill PID

where PID  is the process ID number.

The disk should then un-mount (as unRAID is continually trying to un-mount it)

Joe L.

Thanks for your help, but I already figured out that it is the tvheadend process: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26202.0

Don't know why it isn't stopping tvheadend anymore :-(

Sorry mate,

If it helps my config is 5.0 RC11 the plugins I have are SABNZB, Sickbeard, APC UPS and TVHeadend, all exept my APC UPS are running off my Cache drive.  No problems here, although because of my UPS it means that the plugin installs a powerdown script of some description but I don't think it's used during normal operation.

Good Luck though.

Hi

My friend working on VDR package for Unraid ... but have normal work family and dont have time

If you want accelerate progress please make donation for him

Im already make myself donation :)

This is like "Thanks" from me for this guy :)

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=tTj7GJKhHY1Mgm_QxDNkExcFf9s8PSDmpIgv6ltFvhITuMHBSccVkQCc6BC&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8dd75b1e1ec3ad97b7af62835dd81d5d52

And maybe on days we will be can use VDR on unraid :)

I have a couple of Avermedia A180 cards. Figured it'd be better to have the tuner in the unRAID server than running a separate machine.

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia_AVerTVHD_MCE_A180

I grabbed the updated kernel for RC11 and copied them to my flash drive, rebooted

I installed the tvheadend-3.3.git.d262726-i686-1PTr.txz file

I followed the instructions on the spylex github site

I had to install the libidn and curl packages to get tvheadend to start

I modified my go script so that tvheadend would start on reboot

I started tvheadend and visited the web page, I could see the tuners, but I couldn't add any DVB networks. None showed up.

Yeah, a plugin would be nice, I had to read the whole thread just to decipher how to do this. Guess I wanted tuners in my server really bad.

I didn't see the file in /lib/firmware that my cards need "dvb-fe-nxt2004.fw". I'm guessing it just wasn't included. Is that available for download? It appears that usually, you have to download it with a perl script or grab it from kernel sources or something.

I too am a Schedules Direct subscriber. I'm glad to pay for guide data, but I don't want to import it from another machine. I'm more interested in live TV, but it'd be nice to schedule some recordings too.

Appreciate any help with the firmware. I'd be indebted to anyone who figures out how to get the perl/xmltv/guide thing working. Otherwise I'll probably just put a tuner (and a hard disk) in an XBMC "frontend" machine.

I just downloaded the firmware from this blog site:

http://pyther.net/tag/dvb/

The guy had a hard time finding it, and just posted it. Apparently Debian (and Ubuntu) have a package for non-free firmware that includes the nxt20004 demodulator that is necessary for the saa7134 kernel module.

Files:

dvb-fe-nxt2004.fw

linux-firmware-nonfree_1.11_all.deb

To Install:

wget http://pyther.net/files/firmware/nxt2004/dvb-fe-nxt2004.fw

cp dvb-fe-nxt2004.fw /lib/firmware

reload appropriate module or reboot

check out dmesg to confirm firmware was loaded

yes but this is no easy ...usually driver for one tuner (and other from kernel) is the patched soure of media three, i very hard and difficult connect few drivers in one media three, even openelec had some probles and russian guys release alwayes 3 version of openelec, generic (from kernel only drivers), TBS (for TBS drivers) and s2-liplianin for better and more supports tuners

BTW. im successfully run VDR on unraid :) but this early stage, still need some fixes, anyway for 2 days testing - working - no crashes :)

and much more better working with XBMC :)

Unlike unRaid where I spent several days trying (and failing) to get it to work on vmware, openelec should install nice on a vmware, I saw some code optimizations directly for this purpose...

If you happened to find the code please let me know.  I really want to get it openelec going on a vm.

Thanks

Here is the new bzroot/bzimage files with the hdhomerun and r8169 drivers installed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zzz7c3g14g848g/unraid5.0rc11_hdhomerun.zip

I just tested it with a Realtek NIC I had sitting around and it seems to be working.  Let me know if anyone has any problems.

I've booted up with this bzroot/bzimage and used the most recent tvheadend tzx in this thread however I can't see my DVB-S2 card (TBS 6921) in the adapters list in tvheadend.  I do not use the original plg file at all.  Is there something I am missing or can run to see if the appropriate drivers are loaded?

Thanks for the new files, my Realtek NIC is working now.

I'm having the same problem as PsyVision now, except I have a HDHomerun that isn't showing up in the adapters list. Any suggestions?