Best review of Unraid I've ever seen

mr.sparkle

I found it difficult to disagree with her even before she started speaking. Then she started explaining everything in a very thorough way, speaking eloquently and succinctly. Seriously, Tom should pay her to do PR for him. A beautiful, intelligent woman, who understands what she's talking about, promoting unRAID? Pure gold, imo. I can't wait for her next vid.  :P

Very good, although it majors on the hardware rather than really explaining anything much about unRAID.

I was concerned at the total lack of any anti-static precautions (including allowing the cats to wander around the workspace).

Also, I noted that the cpu fan was plugged into one of the chassis fan sockets, not into the intended FanA socket (not that it will matter too much since there is no chassis fan connected to the mobo).

Was she fortunate in her choice of case (or was it carefully planned?) - I didn't see her having to deal with drive support rails obstructing the 5in3 cage.

Having made a big issue about the 'server grade' mother board, she then chose to instal an i3 rather than a Xeon.

Finally, with the display of knowledge and planning, I presume that Aaliya visits this forum - would she care to identify herself?

Very good, although it majors on the hardware rather than really explaining anything much about unRAID.

Agreed. Perhaps this thread should read "Best unRAID build log I've ever seen"

I was concerned at the total lack of any anti-static precautions (including allowing the cats to wander around the workspace).

Meh, I'm sure she's wearing heels and not standing on carpet.  :P Besides, I think the cats are more of a mascot for her video. I'm sure a lot of builders don't do much in the way of static prevention. It's one thing to be an IT professional who has seen firsthand the perils of static discharge and takes appropriate precautions, such as yourself. It's quite another to be a hobbyist who may not have built enough of these systems to be so wary.

Also, I noted that the cpu fan was plugged into one of the chassis fan sockets, not into the intended FanA socket (not that it will matter too much since there is no chassis fan connected to the mobo).

Honest mistake? I'm sure when it booted and didn't detect the fan, she figured it out.

Was she fortunate in her choice of case (or was it carefully planned?) - I didn't see her having to deal with drive support rails obstructing the 5in3 cage.

Agreed. Where's the clamp?

EDIT: I just watched a

for that case (go to 7:21), the Sharkoon T9 Value. It doesn't look like it has drive support rails inside, which would explain why she didn't have to do any modding. Perhaps someone else with this model can confirm that?

Having made a big issue about the 'server grade' mother board, she then chose to instal an i3 rather than a Xeon.

There are plenty of builds on here where people put i3's on their SM boards. I use Xeons myself, but don't fault others for their choices. The "server grade" term can cover many things, such as IPMI, capacitors, etc.

Finally, with the display of knowledge and planning, I presume that Aaliya visits this forum - would she care to identify herself?

I hope that she does, although I have to say that she may be less likely to speak up if she feels she's being heavily critiqued. I look like a fool in front of a camera, full of um's and uh's, and mumbling. I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. She didn't stumble, she didn't get flustered, and she did all the work herself. From what I could tell, she knows her way around a system. I felt less inclined to be so critical of the small things above, considering all the preparation and time she put into the video. It's a hell of a lot more work than most of us do when we build. Regardless, Aaliyah, if you're so inclined, we'd love to meet you and welcome you to the family.  :)

It's one thing to be an IT professional who has seen firsthand the perils of static discharge and takes appropriate precautions, such as yourself. It's quite another to be a hobbyist who may not have built enough of these systems to be so wary.

True, but often the static damage is only enough to cause premature failure, not immediate failure, so the failure isn't always associated with the lack of static precautions.  For me, a wrist strap is essential and getting everything at earth potential before opening the anti-stat bags, etc ...

Honest mistake? I'm sure when it booted and didn't detect the fan, she figured it out.

I think it's more that Supermicro seem to treat this information as a well-guarded secret!  As I say, it won't actually matter - until you attempt to control chassis fan speeds.

It doesn't look like it has drive support rails inside

Yes, this would be the careful planning!

I hope that she does, although I have to say that she may be less likely to speak up if she feels she's being heavily critiqued. I look like a fool in front of a camera, full of um's and uh's, and mumbling. I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. She didn't stumble, she didn't get flustered, and she did all the work herself. From what I could tell, she knows her way around a system. I felt less inclined to be so critical of the small things above, considering all the preparation and time she put into the video. It's a hell of a lot more work than most of us do when we build. Regardless, Aaliyah, if you're so inclined, we'd love to meet you and welcome you to the family.  :)

Indeed, overall it is very impressive production!

I found it difficult to disagree with her even before she started speaking. Then she started explaining everything in a very thorough way, speaking eloquently and succinctly. Seriously, Tom should pay her to do PR for him. A beautiful, intelligent woman, who understands what she's talking about, promoting unRAID? Pure gold, imo. I can't wait for her next vid.  :P

+1

Agreed. Where's the clamp?

EDIT: I just watched a

for that case (go to 7:21), the Sharkoon T9 Value. It doesn't look like it has drive support rails inside, which would explain why she didn't have to do any modding. Perhaps someone else with this model can confirm that?

I have just rebuilt my servers into two Sharkoon T9 cases.  They have two tabs on each side for each drive slot.  So to fit the IcyDock 5 in 3 module, you would need to flatten or break off 8 tabs, leaving the lower ones in place for support.  Lower capacity cages (I used the cheap Coolermaster 4 in 3 which does not have front loading) are often shaped so that you don't need to bend or remove any of the tabs.  I found that out after modding the first case, but before doing the second one... ;)

Completely ignoring the fact of the review, I instantly dislike it as a Brit. The accent sounds nothing like mine, I don't have an accent (Yes, I do know what I just said)!

EDIT:- Also ignoring the fact of the review, I disagree with her choice of lime green. Also the fact that she talks so slowly (Great for the folks over in the US of A, but, as a Brit I can understand her accent fine and I wish she'd talk faster).

I just noticed how negative I am about stuff.

EDIT2:- As for the review, better than I could do.

EDIT3:- Wat? One scene SATA cables are everywhere, like 50CM long, next scene they're ~ 4CM long.

Wat? One scene SATA cables are everywhere, like 50CM long, next scene they're ~ 4CM long.

;D LOL Yeah, she has a unique method of "tidying up" her cables. I was cringing waiting for the neatly bundled tightly wrapped SATA cables. Unshielded communication cables should never be tightly bundled because of crosstalk, but she neatly sidestepped the issue.

Completely ignoring the fact of the review, I instantly dislike it as a Brit. The accent sounds nothing like mine, I don't have an accent (Yes, I do know what I just said)!

EDIT:- Also ignoring the fact of the review, I disagree with her choice of lime green. Also the fact that she talks so slowly (Great for the folks over in the US of A, but, as a Brit I can understand her accent fine and I wish she'd talk faster).

EDIT3:- Wat? One scene SATA cables are everywhere, like 50CM long, next scene they're ~ 4CM long.

Can you stop the trolling? Or you are the guy who asked her out and cause she turned you down, bitterness comes out?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Wat? One scene SATA cables are everywhere, like 50CM long, next scene they're ~ 4CM long.

;D LOL Yeah, she has a unique method of "tidying up" her cables. I was cringing waiting for the neatly bundled tightly wrapped SATA cables. Unshielded communication cables should never be tightly bundled because of crosstalk, but she neatly sidestepped the issue.

Yes, the finished result was impressively neat, however she achieved it.

I never bundle my cables - I'd rather have a rats nest which doesn't suffer from difficult-to-trace crosstalk problems, and where I can change connections without cutting a whole series of tiewraps.

Can you stop the trolling? Or you are the guy who asked her out and cause she turned you down, bitterness comes out?

I'm just really negative in life, I'm sorry.

That has got to be scripted.... "Like whats inside", "show the inside" just when clevage is on screen :-)  Subliminal !!

And with this review.. Who would want to go headless :-)

But seriously though, I do not want sound like a pig.. The review is actually pretty good and surprisingly non-nerd friendly !

I'm just really negative in life, I'm sorry.

It's automatic eh??  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived