ESXi 5.x - pre-built VMDK for unRAID

You're right, I looked at my settings and all of a sudden my USB flash drive is not being detected at all by my ESXi host.  Every since I ejected it from the Windows VM I was configuring it on, it's gone even after a full reboot of the host.

I had this (or something similar) happen to me on my ESXi boot flash.  It worked but was unable to save VM configurations.  Rebooted and the flash drive was gone and my unRAID Flash drive booted.  Spent about 2 hours setting up ESXi again on a new flash drive.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that my flash drive is USB 2.0 and it's plugged into a USB 3.0 port.  I know there are sometimes issues with USB 3.0 and ESXi.  I've got a new Cruzer fit that is 3.0 so I'll swap that one in there after work and see what happens.

You're right, I looked at my settings and all of a sudden my USB flash drive is not being detected at all by my ESXi host.  Every since I ejected it from the Windows VM I was configuring it on, it's gone even after a full reboot of the host.

I had this (or something similar) happen to me on my ESXi boot flash.  It worked but was unable to save VM configurations.  Rebooted and the flash drive was gone and my unRAID Flash drive booted.  Spent about 2 hours setting up ESXi again on a new flash drive.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that my flash drive is USB 2.0 and it's plugged into a USB 3.0 port.  I know there are sometimes issues with USB 3.0 and ESXi.  I've got a new Cruzer fit that is 3.0 so I'll swap that one in there after work and see what happens.

I think even on bare-metal there have been reports of boot problems from a USB3 port.

I think even on bare-metal there have been reports of boot problems from a USB3 port.

Good to know.  I'll try plugging into a USB 2.0 port first before replacing the flash drive.

Ok so I plugged the USB into a USB 2.0 port and it seems to be working now.  Got unRAID installed and booted up.  However I'm noticing some serious slowness.  The webgui is EXTREMELY slow (takes 15-20 seconds to load a page).  Also when I try to install unmenu just doing a cd to the unmenu directory (cd /boo/unmenu) took a good 7-10 seconds just to complete.

I assume this is not normal?  Do you think my USB drive could be bad or it's possibly some type of a setting I need to look at with regard to my server's BIOS?  I have a brand new USB 3.0 flash drive I was going to use but if there are issues with booting from USB 3.0 ports I don't want to go down that road.

I'd like to get these slowness issues resolved before I start clearing my four 8TB drives since that's going to take a week or more.

Ok so I plugged the USB into a USB 2.0 port and it seems to be working now.  Got unRAID installed and booted up.  However I'm noticing some serious slowness.  The webgui is EXTREMELY slow (takes 15-20 seconds to load a page).  Also when I try to install unmenu just doing a cd to the unmenu directory (cd /boo/unmenu) took a good 7-10 seconds just to complete.

I assume this is not normal?  Do you think my USB drive could be bad or it's possibly some type of a setting I need to look at with regard to my server's BIOS?  I have a brand new USB 3.0 flash drive I was going to use but if there are issues with booting from USB 3.0 ports I don't want to go down that road.

I'd like to get these slowness issues resolved before I start clearing my four 8TB drives since that's going to take a week or more.

No it is not normal.  CD to the unmenu directory is almost instaneous.  WebUI is fast as well.  Did find my version of unRAID is V6b14b but doubt that would make a difference.  But am upgrading to V6rc5 now.

No it is not normal.  CD to the unmenu directory is almost instaneous.  WebUI is fast as well.  Did find my version of unRAID is V6b14b but doubt that would make a difference.  But am upgrading to V6rc5 now.

I just updated and if anything it is faster with V6rc5 then it was with V6b14b.

Here is how I updated:

[*]Update unRAID OS in the GUI and rebooted like they said in the instructions

[*]When booted it looked like it hadn't upgraded correctly the version said V6b14b.

[*]So I shut down the unRAID VM

[*]Connect the VMDK to a Windows VM and start the VM.

[*]Reformat the VMDK to have an UNRAID label.

[*]extract the V6rc5 files

[*]run make_makebootable

[*]disconnect from Windows VM after shutting down

[*]reboot windows VM

[*]reboot unRAID VM and now looks upgraded.

[*]realize I didn't rename the VMDK volume from  UNRAID so now the following are in progess

[*]shutdown both VM

[*]connect to Windows VM again

[*]start Windows VM

[*]rename VMDK to BOOT

[*]shutdown Windows VM

[*]reboot Windows VM

[*]reboot unRAID VM - feel safe now

I may switch back to 14b since the VMTools says NOT loaded which maybe causing your problems.  It definitely CAN cause slow downs.  Needs to get Zeron to upgrade them to use kernel 4.0.4 now but doubt he will until V6 final.

Here is how I updated:

• Update unRAID OS in the GUI and rebooted like they said in the instructions
  • When booted it looked like it hadn't upgraded correctly the version said V6b14b.
  • So I shut down the unRAID VM
  • Connect the VMDK to a Windows VM and start the VM.
  • Reformat the VMDK to have an UNRAID label.
  • extract the V6rc5 files
  • run make_makebootable
  • disconnect from Windows VM after shutting down
  • reboot windows VM
  • reboot unRAID VM and now looks upgraded.
  • realize I didn't rename the VMDK volume from  UNRAID so now the following are in progess
  • shutdown both VM
  • connect to Windows VM again
  • start Windows VM
  • rename VMDK to BOOT
  • shutdown Windows VM
  • reboot Windows VM
  • reboot unRAID VM - feel safe now

Thanks for checking back in.  I think I'm good to go.  Formatted the USB drive again and all looks well as of now.  Going to get screen installed so I can start pre-clearing my drives.

Also, good to know the process for upgrading is very simple now with the webgui and that all I have to do is edit the vmdk after upgrading.  Real easy.

Here is how I updated:

• Update unRAID OS in the GUI and rebooted like they said in the instructions
  • When booted it looked like it hadn't upgraded correctly the version said V6b14b.
  • So I shut down the unRAID VM
  • Connect the VMDK to a Windows VM and start the VM.
  • Reformat the VMDK to have an UNRAID label.
  • extract the V6rc5 files
  • run make_makebootable
  • disconnect from Windows VM after shutting down
  • reboot windows VM
  • reboot unRAID VM and now looks upgraded.
  • realize I didn't rename the VMDK volume from  UNRAID so now the following are in progess
  • shutdown both VM
  • connect to Windows VM again
  • start Windows VM
  • rename VMDK to BOOT
  • shutdown Windows VM
  • reboot Windows VM
  • reboot unRAID VM - feel safe now

Thanks for checking back in.  I think I'm good to go.  Formatted the USB drive again and all looks well as of now.  Going to get screen installed so I can start pre-clearing my drives.

Also, good to know the process for upgrading is very simple now with the webgui and that all I have to do is edit the vmdk after upgrading.  Real easy.

Was editing post while you posted so am re-posting it here. I may switch back to 14b since the VMTools says NOT loaded which maybe causing your problems.  It definitely CAN cause slow downs.  Needs to get Zeron to upgrade them to use kernel 4.0.4 now but doubt he will until V6 final.

I dont know, but this is on my plugins page:

Open-VM-Tools for unRAID 6.0-rc3 (9.10.0-2476743-5)

The Open Virtual Machine Tools are a set of guest operating system virtualization components that enhance performance and user experience of virtual machines.

Open-VM-Tools requires the Powerdown plugin.

This version will work on 6.0-rc3

Read More

Zeron 2015.05.20-5 up-to-date

The Open Virtual Machine Tools are a set of guest operating system virtualization components that enhance performance and user experience of virtual machines.

Read More

Zeron  2015.05.20-5    up-to-date

I downloaded it and the comments in the PLG say that too (RC3).  So now if I upgrade from 14b I will use the new PLG or upgrade them in the GUI if that is an option.  Had a scare already today when that ESXi server wouldn't boot after a shut down.  Did get that sorted but I have recordings scheduled on the Windows VM so will not do that tonight.  So far only missed the local news but not going to miss anything else.  Maybe tomorrow night.

Read More

I downloaded it and the comments in the PLG say that too (RC3).  So now if I upgrade from 14b I will use the new PLG or upgrade them in the GUI if that is an option.  Had a scare already today when that ESXi server wouldn't boot after a shut down.  Did get that sorted but I have recordings scheduled on the Windows VM so will not do that tonight.  So far only missed the local news but not going to miss anything else.  Maybe tomorrow night.

I just installed the plugin and I'm running rc5.  The plugin doesn't appear to work with this version.  I get this message when I try to restart or shutdown my unRAID guest VM.

VMTools%20Error_zps3xt8cx1g.jpg

Read More

I just installed the plugin and I'm running rc5.  The plugin doesn't appear to work with this version.  I get this message when I try to restart or shutdown my unRAID guest VM.

VMTools%20Error_zps3xt8cx1g.jpg

Ill test it out myself tomorrow night but not going to do that tonight.  One thing I've done for 14b and before is get the .tgz file link from the PLG and put that in the extras folder.  Not sure that helped any but was how I was used to doing it for V5 unraid (extras folder).

I updated to RC5 this morning and Open-VM-Tools for unRAID 6.0-rc3 (9.10.0-2476743-5) is working just fine.

The kernel did not change, so there's no reason why it wouldn't work.

Oh that's interesting.  I guess it's something else with my install then.  Is there anything else required for this to work other than the Clean Powerdown package (installed through unMenu)?  Or is there a separate shutdown plugin I'm missing.

I updated to RC5 this morning and Open-VM-Tools for unRAID 6.0-rc3 (9.10.0-2476743-5) is working just fine.

Oh that's interesting.  I guess it's something else with my install then.  Is there anything else required for this to work other than the Clean Powerdown package (installed through unMenu)?  Or is there a separate shutdown plugin I'm missing.

Actually I think it was the Powerdown plugin (.plg) that is needed not the one from unMenu - but I could be wrong.

Actually I think it was the Powerdown plugin (.plg) that is needed not the one from unMenu - but I could be wrong.

You are correct.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38279.msg381976#msg381976

I know it's very easy to update your VMDK's yourselves, but if anyone wants to host a v6 final VMDK, I can link it from the first post.  Would be good for anyone 'new' to it all!

I would love to see a v6 final VMDK posted.

I will follow this thread in hopes it happen!