unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

As you may know, a very serious vulnerability was found and fixed in the openssl. Many many commercial and private sites are affected. The vulnerability is in a recent enhancement called heartbeat. And the vulnerability has the catchy name heartbleed.

Stock UnRaid 5.0.5 is not affected, but plugins and packages may install openssl making any unRaid version vulnerable.

Stock UnRaid 6.0b4 is vulnerable as it includes the affected openssl version. The moderators have urged Limetech to address this issue and they have promised to communicate more about their plan and timetable later today.

Unmenu, perhaps more by dumb luck than by design, has not included as openssl version that is vulnerable. The 32 bit version was pre-heartbeat, and the 64 bit versions were created after the bug fix. 

Joe and I wanted you to know that unmenu packages are and have always been free of this vulnerability, but at the same time say that vulnerabilities can exist in any component, and exposing you server to the Internet carries an extra element of risk that these types of things breach your security. Use of unmenu and installation of any packages is 100% at your own risk.

But you need to realize the risk of this particular issue, especially if you have exposed your array to incoming Internet traffic. We urge you to educate yourself and take appropriate action.

As you may know, a very serious vulnerability was found and fixed in the openssh. Many many commercial and private sites are affected. The vulnerability is in a recent enhancement called heartbeat. And the vulnerability has the catchy name heartbleed.

Stock UnRaid 5.0.5 is not affected, but plugins and packages may install openssh making any unRaid version vulnerable.

Stock UnRaid 6.0b4 is vulnerable as it includes the affected openssh version. The moderators have urged Limetech to address this issue and they have promised to communicate more about their plan and timetable later today.

Unmenu, perhaps more by dumb luck than by design, has not included as openssh version that is vulnerable. The 32 bit version was pre-heartbeat, and the 64 bit versions were created after the bug fix. 

Sometimes, luck is on your side.  It was another forum member who created the new 64bit compatible unMENU package for ssmtp-mail.  He tracked down the fixed openSSL package when he created the unMENU 64bit compatible ssmtp-mail .conf file used by the package manager.  The 64bit unMENU ssmtp-mail package was created after the patched openSSL slackware package was already available, so he used it instead of a buggy version.  The 32bit ssmtp-mail package in unMENU used an openSSL library prior to the heartbleed bug being introduced, so it too is safe from this bug.

Many who use unMENU on 32bit systems may not even be aware of these 64bit compatible versions in the unMENU package manager.  If you are using the newest unMENU release, they are not shown to you on a 32 bit system, and if you are using an older unMENU release, you've not downloaded them.

The current unMENU package manager knows if you are on a 64bit OS and will only present 64bit compatible packages for installation if you are on a 64bit unRAID. (they do not see any of the 32bit packages unless it detects one is marked to install on reboot, and it only then allows you to mark it to not re-install on reboot.)

Presently, the compatible packages include 64bit apcupsd to interact with an APC brand UPS (or one using their protocol), the 64bit ssmtp-mail package to enable outbound e-mail alerts, and the "64bit C-compiler" if you are advanced enough to compile your own source code.

Joe and I wanted you to know that unmenu packages are and have always been free of this vulnerability, but at the same time say that vulnerabilities can exist in any component, and exposing you server to the Internet carries an extra element of risk that these types of things breach your security. Use of unmenu and installation of any packages is 100% at your own risk.

But you need to realize the risk of this particular issue, especially if you have exposed your array to incoming Internet traffic. We urge you to educate yourself and take appropriate action.

Exactly... there is a risk with any add-on. Responsible authors will supply fixes as soon as vulnerabilities are identified.

Joe L.

I have tried to locate a compiled bwn-ng package for Slackware 14.1x64 but have been unable to locate one. It seems like it is an older program that has not gotten updates over the years (I could be wrong but that is what the google search looked like to me). The website still has the source code but I have no idea how to compile anything or if one can compile older code into a 64 bit package?

This seems to be the newest package. in the info it shows 64 bit so it might work but since it is not in a repository kind of at a loss on how to implement this one.

confirmed to be Working. thx Thornwood / Joe.L

I've recently upgrade to UnRaid 5.0.5 from version 4.7

I didn't wipe my flash drive and I am starting to think that is part of my problem.  Maybe starting from scratch would have been better.

I suspect changes to version 5.0.5 and my lack of fully understanding them is the root of my problem.

I do not believe my "Go" file is being executed, as it contains the same info as I've always had in it:

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

# This is used to send email notifications to me

echo "[email protected]" >/root/.forward

# This will auto-load unmenu

/boot/unmenu/uu

It often months between times I access the servce for issues of this nature,  so its always an exercice in remembering whats required.  I can access the flash drive through my Windows machines File Explorer and I see all the necessary files/directories.  I've tried to access the flash drive using Putty's telnet, which I successfully can do, but I can't really go anywhere.  I do a "ls" at the tower prompt, I get back:

root@Tower:~# ls

mdcmd*  powerdown@  samba@

I check to see if unmenu is running, using the following command and I get the following response:

root@Tower:~# ps -ef | grep awk

root      3096  2810  0 06:29 pts/0    00:00:00 grep awk

I thought maybe it had to do with restrictions on the "root" account, but root is the almighty, so it shouldn't be.  Nonetheless, I setup another user as a test, but I couldn't even get telnet in to the account to test any further.

Suggestions on the best course to take to get UnMenu working again (and in turn, the other packages I had installed like powerdown as well as access to items like preclear).

Thanks!

I've recently upgrade to UnRaid 5.0.5 from version 4.7

I didn't wipe my flash drive and I am starting to think that is part of my problem.  Maybe starting from scratch would have been better.

I suspect changes to version 5.0.5 and my lack of fully understanding them is the root of my problem.

I do not believe my "Go" file is being executed, as it contains the same info as I've always had in it:

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

# This is used to send email notifications to me

echo "[email protected]" >/root/.forward

# This will auto-load unmenu

/boot/unmenu/uu

It often months between times I access the servce for issues of this nature,  so its always an exercice in remembering whats required.  I can access the flash drive through my Windows machines File Explorer and I see all the necessary files/directories.  I've tried to access the flash drive using Putty's telnet, which I successfully can do, but I can't really go anywhere.  I do a "ls" at the tower prompt, I get back:

root@Tower:~# ls

mdcmd*  powerdown@  samba@

I check to see if unmenu is running, using the following command and I get the following response:

root@Tower:~# ps -ef | grep awk

root      3096  2810  0 06:29 pts/0    00:00:00 grep awk

I thought maybe it had to do with restrictions on the "root" account, but root is the almighty, so it shouldn't be.  Nonetheless, I setup another user as a test, but I couldn't even get telnet in to the account to test any further.

Suggestions on the best course to take to get UnMenu working again (and in turn, the other packages I had installed like powerdown as well as access to items like preclear).

Thanks!

type:

ls -l /boot

and report back what is printed.

It sounds like you removed more than what was expected on the flash drive.

Also... you can start unMENU manually (since it does not seem to be running based on your "ps" command output) by typing;

/boot/unmenu/uu

To update unMENU to the latest, you can type on the command line:

cd /boot/unmenu

unmenu_install -u -d /boot/unmenu

Joe L.

Here's what I get:

root@Tower:~# ls -l /boot

total 35736

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root        0 2009-12-04 09:01 1*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root        0 2009-12-04 09:01 189*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root        0 2009-12-04 09:01 195*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root        0 2009-12-04 09:01 240*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root        0 2009-12-04 09:01 241*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root        0 2009-12-04 09:01 242*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root        0 2009-12-04 09:01 7*

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root    4096 2010-07-18 12:38 Bios\ Firmware\ Update\ to\ FC/

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root    4096 2013-02-09 14:15 backup_files/

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2725120 2014-01-11 06:40 bzimage*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33482596 2014-01-11 06:48 bzroot*

drwxrwxrwx 3 root root    4096 2014-04-12 22:49 config/

drwxrwxrwx 3 root root    4096 2009-10-11 08:31 custom/

-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root    13639 2009-10-11 08:30 ldlinux.sys*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root    5162 2009-05-05 21:00 license.txt*

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root    4096 2014-04-12 22:33 logs/

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  150024 2014-01-11 10:48 memtest*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root    33404 2009-05-05 21:00 menu.c32*

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root    12288 2011-08-11 19:39 packages/

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root    85224 2014-04-05 11:47 preclear_disk.sh*

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root    4096 2012-01-01 00:57 preclear_reports/

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root    8703 2010-12-08 18:36 preclear_results.txt*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root    8680 2009-05-05 21:00 readme.txt*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root      183 2009-05-05 21:00 syslinux.cfg*

drwxrwxrwx 4 root root    16384 2013-09-08 17:52 unmenu/

I did run the two commands:

cd /boot/unmenu

unmenu_install -u -d /boot/unmenu

as well as started up unmenu manually, as per the other command you suggested and everything you suggested worked.  I can access it now by the manual starting of it.  Go short term solution, just need to figure out what's up with my "go" file next.  Thanks

Is the SmartHistory tab part of UnMenu? When I click it I always get the following.

Sorry: cannot run smarthistory.
The /boot/smarthistory directory does not exist.

You need to create a smarthistory directory on the flash drive.  Then you need to extract the contents of the smarthistory zip file to that directory or you will always get that error.  Said zip file is here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3146

Is the SmartHistory tab part of UnMenu? When I click it I always get the following.

Sorry: cannot run smarthistory.
The /boot/smarthistory directory does not exist.

You need to create a smarthistory directory on the flash drive.  Then you need to extract the contents of the smarthistory zip file to that directory or you will always get that error.  Said zip file is here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3146

Working now. Thanks for your help once again :)

I installed two packages for sending email notifications if a drive goes above a certain temperature, and both of them do not send emails when drive temps are over the specified amount. I set the temp to 15C and all drives are over the temperature. I'm not getting emails from the hourly script or the powerdown script that is supposed to check every 5 minutes. No attempts to send in the syslog either. I am getting the hourly email, but no notice of driver overtemp. Drive temps show up on the main UnMenu page, but they do not show up in the MyMain pages.

I installed two packages for sending email notifications if a drive goes above a certain temperature, and both of them do not send emails when drive temps are over the specified amount. I set the temp to 15C and all drives are over the temperature. I'm not getting emails from the hourly script or the powerdown script that is supposed to check every 5 minutes. No attempts to send in the syslog either. I am getting the hourly email, but no notice of driver overtemp. Drive temps show up on the main UnMenu page, but they do not show up in the MyMain pages.

You'll need to supply the output of

smartctl -A /dev/sdX | grep -i temperature

and

smartctl -d ata -A /dev/sdX | grep -i temperature

(where sdX = the three lettter drive name of one of the disks in your array.)

to assist in diagnosing the issue.  Odds are high the first will show a temperature and the second will not.

and

to assist in diagnosing the issue.  Odds are high the first will show a temperature and the second will not.

When I run the first one I get a SMART temp output.

When I run the second one nothing happens. Why might that be?

and

When I run the first one I get a SMART temp output.

When I run the second one nothing happens. Why might that be?

Short answer:  the first one works, the second one doesn't!  ;)

Originally, the disk controller modules/drivers needed the -d ata parameter for smartctl to properly address them.  Newer drive controllers, especially SAS ones, don't need it, and in fact often don't work with it set.

Originally, the disk controller modules/drivers needed the -d ata parameter for smartctl to properly address them.  Newer drive controllers, especially SAS ones, don't need it, and in fact often don't work with it set.

Ok, how do I get the system working with the newer SAS card (m1115 flashed to IT mode)?

I updated the "mail-ssmtp-unmenu-package-x86_64.conf" package and removed the openssl package because unRAID 6b5a now includes the heartbleed fixed version of openssl. No reason to have this package download openssl again.

I'll update the release-list in the next day or so...

Again, thanks.

Joe L.

So just remove "-d ata" from all the UnMenu files?

So just remove "-d ata" from all the UnMenu files?

or, use the check-for-updates button and install the newest versions, it has already been done for you.

or, use the check-for-updates button and install the newest versions, it has already been done for you.

That's the first thing I did and still had the problem. Do changes take affect after a reboot? I did reload UnMenu to no avail. I'll reboot later to see if that fixed it.

I'm seeing these updates for UnMenu, but they won't install.

Available files on current release list:
myMain_local.conf :Revision: 182  Date: 2010-12-04 08:15:52 -0500 (Sat, 04 Dec 2010)
powerdown-1.02_ctlaltdel-unmenu-package.conf :Revision: 50  Date: 2010-04-13 14:21:51 -0400 (Tue, 13 Apr 2010) 

When I try to install I get this:

Downloading myMain_local.conf
rev $Revision: 182 $ $Date: 2010-12-04 08:15:52 -0500 (Sat, 04 Dec 2010)$
5a0630afc49c196a23db71a5d02bf18f != a5d02879e3d52eb0dffda20f12d0111c or 7799da8e46bf08d7a328617cb1a48442,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/myMain_local.conf not installed
Downloading powerdown-1.02_ctlaltdel-unmenu-package.conf
rev $Revision: 50 $ $Date: 2010-04-13 14:21:51 -0400 (Tue, 13 Apr 2010) $
d0b27d3a4d9a936a384ec34bb24f85e6 != d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e or d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/powerdown-1.02_ctlaltdel-unmenu-package.conf not installed

Versions are the following:

unmenu.awk: Version 1.6 Revision: 270  Joe L.... with modifications as suggested by bjp999, mvdzwaan, and many others

Plug-in-modules
07-unmenu-mymain.awk: 1.54 - changes for myMain 4-10-11 release, contributed by bjp999 - preclear support - Revision: 266 
08-unmenu-array_mgmt.awk: 1.2.4 - fixed path to md.c to detect NOCORRECT mode - Revision: 269 
09-unmenu-disk_mgmt.awk: 1.7 - fixed "mount" command to get file system type even if disk is apparently not spinning (where temp = "*" or "") - Revision: 276 
10-unmenu-links.awk: 1.2 Fixed increment of link counter - Revision: 7  
15-unmenu-disk_perf.cgi: 1 - improved css by zoggy - Revision: 262 
15-unmenu-network_perf.cgi: 1 - improved formatting by zoggy - Revision: 262 
16-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: 1.0  - modified by bjp999, Use common routines to generate enhanced syslog viewer - Revision: 178 
17-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: .9  - added css class to fieldset - mvdzwaan - Revision: 262 
18-unmenu-lsof.awk: Version: .1  - Joe L. - Revision: 7  
20-unmenu-usage.awk: 1.0 - Revision: 7  
200-unmenu-smarthistory.cgi: 1.1 - added tests for directory, file, and php - Revision: 7  
25-unmenu-dupe_files.awk: 1.2 deal with appostraphe in file name - Revision: 7  
29-unmenu-sysinfo.awk: 1.6 - Added -l option to free to show "low" memory. Joe L. - Revision: 274 
30-unmenu-file_browser.awk: 1.1.6 update allowd disk array to have members greater than disk15. - Revision: 234 
40-unmenu-iso_share.awk: 1.2 Added formatting of "ls" date/time string to allow consistent parse of file path - Joe L.   - Revision: 236 
50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi: .5 - Added css for submit button - mvzdwaan - Revision: 262 
600-unmenu-file_edit.awk: .2.1 Fixed error out of "ls" when directory does not exist.  Joe L. - Revision: 119 
99-unmenu-myMain-Config.awk: 1.0 - Part of myMain 12-1-10 release, contributed by bjp999 - Revision: 246 
99-unmenu-utility.awk: 1.54 - changes for myMain 4-10-11 release, contributed by bjp999 - smartctl support - Revision: 246 
990-unmenu-wget.awk: 3.0   Added 64bit compatible flag to packages. - Revision: 276 
999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk: 1.2 Joe L. -- Added code to detect presence of /etc/unraid-version and change main URL accordingly - Revision: 244 

And SMART report returns the following error, presumably due to the "-d ata" argument.

Statistics for /dev/sdh ST4000VN000-1H4168_Z300W13C

smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sdh
smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

I'm seeing these updates for UnMenu, but they won't install.

Available files on current release list:
myMain_local.conf :Revision: 182  Date: 2010-12-04 08:15:52 -0500 (Sat, 04 Dec 2010)
powerdown-1.02_ctlaltdel-unmenu-package.conf :Revision: 50  Date: 2010-04-13 14:21:51 -0400 (Tue, 13 Apr 2010) 

When I try to install I get this:

Downloading myMain_local.conf
rev $Revision: 182 $ $Date: 2010-12-04 08:15:52 -0500 (Sat, 04 Dec 2010)$
5a0630afc49c196a23db71a5d02bf18f != a5d02879e3d52eb0dffda20f12d0111c or 7799da8e46bf08d7a328617cb1a48442,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/myMain_local.conf not installed
Downloading powerdown-1.02_ctlaltdel-unmenu-package.conf
rev $Revision: 50 $ $Date: 2010-04-13 14:21:51 -0400 (Tue, 13 Apr 2010) $
d0b27d3a4d9a936a384ec34bb24f85e6 != d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e or d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/powerdown-1.02_ctlaltdel-unmenu-package.conf not installed

I get this too.

myMain_local.conf is the file that keeps your individualized configurations for myMain, including your drive settings. You do not want to update that file when you do a software update. The way it is supposed to work is you will only get that file updated if you do not already have a file by that name.

There are a few other files that follow this model, such as the myserver and myslot picture files.