unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc16c Available

Every day without 5.0 final results in lost sales.

That's an opinion, not fact, despite the bold.

Actually it is a fact.  I'm not purchasing licenses until there's an official release with >2TB support.  And if I find a better solution elsewhere in the meantime, then the opportunity to gain me as a customer will be lost.  That's the long and short of it.

As stated earlier, it looks like lime tech have decided some short term delayed sales is the price to pay for increased sales with a slick Big Bang release 5.0

If Toms livelihood depends on people who despite a tested and supported version of his software in RC that supports a potential users needs, refuse to buy but prefer to huff and puff in a forum because it hasn't been branded "final", then he might as well shut up shop now.

Huff and puff?  All I said was no production release, no sale.

I have over 35 years experience as a Software Architect and Project Manager.  While I could have expressed an expert opinion about Tom's software development process I have refrained from doing so for the simple reason that I acknowledge Tom's right to operate his company in any way he sees fit.

However, as a potential customer I do feel it is perfectly legitimate for me to state what is preventing me from purchasing the product.  As for your assertion that RC's are supported, I don't agree.  Only production releases are officially supported.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...or the dissenters (if they're not doing anything useful) get booted off.

You know Tom deserves a big round of applause for that.  No matter how much complaining goes on, there has never been much banning or deleting of posts.  Tom has always let everyone speak their mind in the forums and that should be noted.  Thanks Tom!!

Now if we can just keep it civil.

After Tom .. Future Course of Unraid?

This question has been plaguing me for a while .. given the discussion here this may be appropriate. I am a relatively new user to Unraid and have a 2-pack pro license to support his continued work. My first system is housing 21 TB of HDD space with few other disks strewn for occasional backups.

I have been pouring significant investments gradually over a period of time. Now my question is .. say after 5 years I have 100 TB of data and one day, Tom decides to stop the development (could be for any reason .. personal, lost interest, another employment opportunity, other situations outside his control), what happens to the UNRAID users? I cannot fathom the enormity of moving say .. 100 TB of data to another  unraid equivalent (eg. Ubuntu+ZFS, etc). Have fellow users given thought to future scenarios? Given Tom is the sole developer of Unraid and no one else to pick up work in his absence, it seems UNRAID future (short and/or long term) is on a shaky ground. That being said, I appreciate Tom for his effort, continuous development on Unraid and his outreach to user community.

Actually it is a fact.  I'm not purchasing licenses until there's an official release with >2TB support.  And if I find a better solution elsewhere in the meantime, then the opportunity to gain me as a customer will be lost.  That's the long and short of it.

As stated earlier, it looks like lime tech have decided some short term delayed sales is the price to pay for increased sales with a slick Big Bang release 5.0

If Toms livelihood depends on people who despite a tested and supported version of his software in RC that supports a potential users needs, refuse to buy but prefer to huff and puff in a forum because it hasn't been branded "final", then he might as well shut up shop now.

Huff and puff?  All I said was no production release, no sale.

I have over 35 years experience as a Software Architect and Project Manager.  While I could have expressed an expert opinion about Tom's software development process I have refrained from doing so for the simple reason that I acknowledge Tom's right to operate his company in any way he sees fit.

However, as a potential customer I do feel it is perfectly legitimate for me to state what is preventing me from purchasing the product.  As for your assertion that RC's are supported, I don't agree.  Only production releases are officially supported.

You and another claimed lost sales were fact due to the lack of a "final" label on the current version The examples you both gave are not of lost sales.  They are possible delayed sales at this point in time.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Hopefully this is still a bug report issue thread and not simply a venting thread?!

Anyway, I've recently moved from 12a to this 16c and I've noticed that plex does not scan in new files using its turbo method. The files are added if I do a deep scan, but sickbeard uses turbo and so my automation is broken.

Hopefully this is still a bug report issue thread and not simply a venting thread?!

Anyway, I've recently moved from 12a to this 16c and I've noticed that plex does not scan in new files using its turbo method. The files are added if I do a deep scan, but sickbeard uses turbo and so my automation is broken.

There are problems with the modified timestamp on files

See http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28638.0

To be quite honest, that's your problem.

I really don't get why people are so hung up on the fact it has 'rc' in the version.

Tom has I believe declared it stable with minor UI fixes to be done for the V5 release.

By waiting for something that is completely and utterly irrelevant to the stability of the code is costing you time and money.

To be quite honest, that's your problem.

I really don't get why people are so hung up on the fact it has 'rc' in the version.

Tom has I believe declared it stable with minor UI fixes to be done for the V5 release.

By waiting for something that is completely and utterly irrelevant to the stability of the code is costing you time and money.

+1

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

This question has been plaguing me for a while .. given the discussion here this may be appropriate. I am a relatively new user to Unraid and have a 2-pack pro license to support his continued work. My first system is housing 21 TB of HDD space with few other disks strewn for occasional backups.

I have been pouring significant investments gradually over a period of time. Now my question is .. say after 5 years I have 100 TB of data and one day, Tom decides to stop the development (could be for any reason .. personal, lost interest, another employment opportunity, other situations outside his control), what happens to the UNRAID users? I cannot fathom the enormity of moving say .. 100 TB of data to another  unraid equivalent (eg. Ubuntu+ZFS, etc). Have fellow users given thought to future scenarios? Given Tom is the sole developer of Unraid and no one else to pick up work in his absence, it seems UNRAID future (short and/or long term) is on a shaky ground. That being said, I appreciate Tom for his effort, continuous development on Unraid and his outreach to user community.

Well it is the same as with any software. If you can use it without support , use it untill you can find a replacement.  I do have a concern about Tom quiting the project, but it mostly have to do with the fact that the license is tide up with the flash drive. As hardware can and do fail.

And there is no way to run this without it.

Well it is the same as with any software. If you can use it without support , use it untill you can find a replacement.  I do have a concern about Tom quiting the project, but it mostly have to do with the fact that the license is tide up with the flash drive. As hardware can and do fail.

And there is no way to run this without it.

However, for the price the risk is minimum. The pro license is whar, 120$ if it works for 5 years, you got a food value out of it.  I have spent more on the software that was shelved after only 2 years.

It also has a modified timestamp problem which will be fixed in v5 final (would not have mind a 16d release...)

I haven't read everything in this thread, but for the love of all that is holy, STOP ADDING NEW FEATURES and finalize v5.0. Then release it. It doesn't matter if there are minor non-fatal bugs. All software has bugs.

It boggles my mind that you'd add a (non-functional?) "Plugin Manager" to a "Release Candidate". What the hell are they smoking over there?

Add new features to 5.1 or 6.0. Don't add them now. Jesus.  :-\  ::)  :P  :(  >:(  ;D