Why do people buy multiple keys?

austin

Production and Test box (with more than 3 drives).

Spare USB in case Production USB goes out, quick replacement and up running.

The KEY file is NOT transferable. It is tied to the specific Flash drive.

Tom may provide a new key file if your Flash drive dies, but then you have to wait until he is available.

What if he is gone several days (like now) taking care of family business. You would be out of luck until his return.

and that is number one thing I don't like with UnRaid, is that the Key Is tied to a hardware device that can fail easily for only reason that you use it.

yes it is harder(not impossible I would think if some one is really determined but not very cost effective considering the license price ) to break it to steal it.

but I rather had a key dongle that is not used for anything but key as opposed of boot device.

sell me the key on dongle but let me boot form something else easily.

it can be done but it so convoluted that now one bother with it.

why is it so difficult.

just setup unraid kernel to look either for key folder on the boot device or on device with label UnRaid_Key as an example  on the system and you are done.

• 2 months later...

I use Kingston Mobilite G2 card readers. If the flash media fails it can be replaced and a new key is not needed.

Could you please explain how you can do that ? I read that K G2 is a card reader but then ?

I am interested in case of a flashkey failure and also as a technical challenge

Thanks

Philippe

The Mobilite G2 is a reader => you insert an SD (or SDHC) card into it to provide the actual memory.

But the unique GUID is provided by the hardware in the G2, so if your flash memory fails, you simply replace the SD card and the GUID is still the same.    Since the NAND chips are virtually always what fail when a flash memory device fails, the G2 approach effectively isolates you from these failures.    It CAN, of course, still fail;  but it's FAR less likely than a traditional flash drive.

Note, by the way, that the newer (and currently less expensive, since G2's are in short supply) G3 reader does NOT work with UnRAID  (at least according to several posters who have tried it).

Note, by the way, that the newer (and currently less expensive, since G2's are in short supply) G3 reader does NOT work with UnRAID  (at least according to several posters who have tried it).

The G3 mobile lite DOES work. It depends on your hardware.

I have 4 and they all work.

It works with the supermicro X9SCM board as well as the HP microservers.

Works also with my DELL laptops.

It probably depends on the motherboard to initialize it since it's USB 3.0.

*EDIT*

If I remember correctly, I had to use an SD card slot, not the micro sd card slot.

*EDIT*

If I remember correctly, I had to use an SD card slot, not the micro sd card slot.

The G2 was the SD card slot not the micro because I had to put adapters in my G2s.  I thought the G3s that were reported to work were somewhat the opposite in that the micro slot was the default now.  But with the G3s I thought you could switch which slot to boot from that didn't work with the G2s.  But all this is from memory of another post as well so could easily be wrong!

*EDIT*

The G2 was the SD card slot not the micro because I had to put adapters in my G2s.  I thought the G3s that were reported to work were somewhat the opposite in that the micro slot was the default now.  But with the G3s I thought you could switch which slot to boot from that didn't work with the G2s.  But all this is from memory of another post as well so could easily be wrong!

Hmmm... Now that I've checked my servers.  The three working G3's are using the micro SD slot.

The other one I use on demand, is using a 4G SD card.

So I stand corrected and it may be a bios setting to choose which slot to boot from.

• 2 months later...

and that is number one thing I don't like with UnRaid, is that the Key Is tied to a hardware device that can fail easily for only reason that you use it.

yes it is harder(not impossible I would think if some one is really determined but not very cost effective considering the license price ) to break it to steal it.

but I rather had a key dongle that is not used for anything but key as opposed of boot device.

sell me the key on dongle but let me boot form something else easily.

it can be done but it so convoluted that now one bother with it.

why is it so difficult.

just setup unraid kernel to look either for key folder on the boot device or on device with label UnRaid_Key as an example  on the system and you are done.

Can't every piece of hardware fail? Think of mainboard, memory, PSU or CPU, every part can malfunction. If you don't have spares, you can't access you data for some time.