unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta1-x86_64 Available

limetech

They don't call me the School Bus Driver for nothing! Climb aboard kids... It's time to take all of you to school.

1. A group of users should focus on Xen and create a dedicated thread.

2. A group of users should focus on KVM and create a dedicated thread.

3. Produce a Xen Kernel and the package. Less moving parts (it combines everything into a kernel and a package), it's easier to maintain / upgrade (another reason why Enterprises use it aside from the Enterprise features it has that KVM doesn't).

4. Both Xen and KVM need a network bridge. Better figure out what that is / how to do it in each and get Tom focused on this now.

5. In each thread start documenting what needs to go into the guide / bzroot / bzimage / etc. (secretagent identified some of the KVM stuff that needs symbolic links or what a plugin would need to edit).

6. Draw straws and see who is in charge of producing the final guide.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using boiler we can define dependencies by name and version, and let the system handle arch automatically.

I understand that. The plugin guys still have to rewrite their plugins to use it.

Not entirely. The converter will get it 95%, maybe more. All the plugin code, files, configs are compatible. It's really just putting it in a file structure, rather than a flat file.

It would help if Lime Technologies puts their weight / support behind it too.

Yes :)

Not entirely. The converter will get it 95%, maybe more. All the plugin code, files, configs are compatible. It's really just putting it in a file structure, rather than a flat file.

Just because I drive the Short Bus doesn't mean I rode on it when I was in school.

That is what I meant by rewrite.

Also, there isn't that many plugins. Why don't you do it yourself and put them in your git (fork the ones who have a git) so you can get everyone using boiler by "default"?

Just because I drive the Short Bus doesn't mean I rode on it when I was in school.

Also, there isn't that many plugins. Why don't you do it yourself and put them in your git (fork the ones who have a git) so you can get everyone using boiler by "default"?

There are a number of plugins already available for boiler.... actually just went over to the registry page and it's blank...huh

There are a number of plugins already available for boiler.... actually just went over to the registry page and it's blank...huh

Here? http://registry.getboiler.com/

There are 9 listed.

Time to fork out the plugin talks. Interesting as they are they are  we are going off topic for this announcement thread.

I remind people this is a beta test cycle and we are a long from V5 going away which works the way we all know on kit thats as old as the hills.

Every time we have a major release people worry about loss of support for ancient hardware. There is a middle ground to be reached and it never really is as bad as it seems.

Do we really need to support PATA on a 64bit only server OS? .........  Eliminating PATA/IDE is eliminating one more thing that needs to be supported and simplifies troubleshooting.

Agreed.  Why not take this opportunity to eliminate this old technology.  The fact that the only new drives you can purchase are low capacity drives means that any replacement drives will be SATA.

Take the stand that PATA is no longer officially supported.  If you need PATA, V5 Unraid is the answer.

It is very unlikely PATA will be removed after the beta cycle IMO. I think Toms approach of adding them back in based on his experience of the most bang for buck is the right one. Dont support he crap but get the common stuff.

We are not at the point where PATA drives are that old.... yet :)

Agreed.  Why not take this opportunity to eliminate this old technology.  The fact that the only new drives you can purchase are low capacity drives means that any replacement drives will be SATA.

Take the stand that PATA is no longer officially supported.  If you need PATA, V5 Unraid is the answer.

Why?

You are talking about less than 1mb of space. If it's enabled and you don't have a PATA drive... you would never notice. No different than your system not caring about all the RAID Controllers, Network Drivers, etc. you do not use on your system.

I'd say keep pata too. It's not much space, keeping it allows a portion of the user base who gets great benefit from unRAID to continue, and the drivers should be pretty tried and true. I ran 2x machines stuffed with pata drives and Promise cards for YEARS! I think dropping support for this is shortsighted and almost sounds elitist. UnRAID allows you to throw all sorts of cat and dog hardware together and enjoy some safety doing it, I think that's a good thing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd say keep pata too. It's not much space, keeping it allows a portion of the user base who gets great benefit from unRAID to continue, and the drivers should be pretty tried and true. I ran 2x machines stuffed with pata drives and Promise cards for YEARS! I think dropping support for this is shortsighted and almost sounds elitist. UnRAID allows you to throw all sorts of cat and dog hardware together and enjoy some safety doing it, I think that's a good thing...

I agree 100%

Don't drop support of IDE drives.

Got this up and running on my production box without any issues.  Also have it on a Slackware 14.1 x86_64 full distro, just had to change a few of the instructions on the wiki to get it running (mainly, anywhere it has a /lib, change to /lib64, and don't move the samba libraries and such, just the rc.d files, and config files). 

1. A group of users should focus on Xen and create a dedicated thread.

When the Forum is redone (ahem), I will join in this effort.

3. Produce a Xen Kernel and the package. Less moving parts (it combines everything into a kernel and a package), it's easier to maintain / upgrade (another reason why Enterprises use it aside from the Enterprise features it has that KVM doesn't).

4. Both Xen and KVM need a network bridge. Better figure out what that is / how to do it in each and get Tom focused on this now.

This is outside my skill set, but I will test and help where I can.

6. Draw straws and see who is in charge of producing the final guide.

I will definitely help draft guides.

It looks like there a bridge utils package for Slax. It doesn't look uber difficult to setup and it looks like it only needs to be done once on the host to enable it. This wiki page seems to explain it well http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

If I can get a KVM hardware up and running and a kernel that's complete I'm willing to give a shot at testing and setup.

It looks like there a bridge utils package for Slax. It doesn't look uber difficult to setup and it looks like it only needs to be done once on the host to enable it. This wiki page seems to explain it well http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

If I can get a KVM hardware up and running and a kernel that's complete I'm willing to give a shot at testing and setup.

Its a little more complicates than that. Tom has to install the package and provide a way for it to be configured / enabled in the Network settings page or a plugin will have to do to it.

Also, KVM looks for br0 by default and Xen looks for xenbr0.

So far, 6.0 beta1 is running smoothly on my test system.  Something I saw in the logs looked a little odd though:

Jan 23 04:40:01 Lab logrotate: ALERT - exited abnormally.
Jan 23 04:40:01 Lab crond[2246]: unable to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail: cron output for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null to /dev/null

Any idea what this means, or how to resolve it?  I looked through the menu, but didn't see a place to configure mail?

Thanks!

So far, 6.0 beta1 is running smoothly on my test system.  Something I saw in the logs looked a little odd though:

Jan 23 04:40:01 Lab logrotate: ALERT - exited abnormally.
Jan 23 04:40:01 Lab crond[2246]: unable to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail: cron output for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null to /dev/null

Any idea what this means, or how to resolve it?  I looked through the menu, but didn't see a place to configure mail?

Thanks!

Dont worry about it it is not important but it is a small bug to fix.