Powerdown package for unRAID v5 and v6 (DEPRECATED)

dlandon

What is the new way to have my unRAID server shutdown on fixed times?

Until now i have had a line in my go script that says:

#Sceduled server shutdown
echo "powerdown" | at 00:30 

But in 6.2 without the powerdown plugin this isnt working anymore.

Can anyone help me out with a way to have my server shutdown on fixed times?

Maybe there is a plugin to schedule commands?

Edit: I have read about the cron files that can be executed. Now i added a cron file in the plugins directory with the following:

# Shutdown at 00:30 every day :
30 0 * * * /usr/local/sbin/powerdown

Is this correct?

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Edit: I have read about the cron files that can be executed. Now i added a cron file in the plugins directory with the following:

Is this correct?

Yes.  That script should work.  As a test, I would go to the command line and type powerdown and verify your server shuts down as it should.  If not, the troubleshoot any issues(s).

Is this correct?

Yes.  That script should work.  As a test, I would go to the command line and type powerdown and verify your server shuts down as it should.  If not, the troubleshoot any issues(s).

I've added a cron file as described above to the plugin directory, rebooted the server but unfortunately the server doesn't power down as expected.

Trying the 'powerdown' command in the command line also does not power down the server. The 'reboot' command does work however.

Any ideas?

Is this correct?

I've added a cron file as described above to the plugin directory, rebooted the server but unfortunately the server doesn't power down as expected.

Trying the 'powerdown' command in the command line also does not power down the server. The 'reboot' command does work however.

Any ideas?

The builtin powerdown script does work.  You have something unique on your server that is preventing a powerdown.  After you initiate the script at the command line, look in your log and see if there is anything indicating a problem.  Also try booting in the safe mode and do a powerdown command and see if it shuts down.

You may have to take the issue to LT if you can't resolve it.  Post the issue on the 6.2 release and wait for LT to respond, or post a defect report.

EDIT:  I just looked at the builtin powerdown and it still uses the webgui to perform a shutdown.  So it is most likely your server won't shut down because the webgui is stuck waiting for something to happen that probably won't.  I suggest the following:

- Stop docker and VMs and see if you can do a powerdown.

- Remove plugins and see if you can powerdown.

- Add plugins one at a time and see if you can do a powerdown after each one.

You should then be able to determine the offending plugin or dockers/VMs.

Is this correct?

Any ideas?

The builtin powerdown script does work.  You have something unique on your server that is preventing a powerdown.  After you initiate the script at the command line, look in your log and see if there is anything indicating a problem.  Also try booting in the safe mode and do a powerdown command and see if it shuts down.

You may have to take the issue to LT if you can't resolve it.  Post the issue on the 6.2 release and wait for LT to respond, or post a defect report.

EDIT:  I just looked at the builtin powerdown and it still uses the webgui to perform a shutdown.  So it is most likely your server won't shut down because the webgui is stuck waiting for something to happen that probably won't.  I suggest the following:

Tried in safe Mode, tried with all plugins and dockers removed/stopped with no luck. Not really sure what's going on.

I've posted a defect report.

Thanks for the help!

Is this correct?

Any ideas?

Tried in safe Mode, tried with all plugins and dockers removed/stopped with no luck. Not really sure what's going on.

I've posted a defect report.

Thanks for the help!

The powerdown plugin has been masking the shortcomings of the LT shutdown process since the v5 days and it's time they finally address it.  Be sure to post your diagnostics when in the safe mode.  LT will want all plugins removed to eliminate that as a possibility.

I've reviewed the command line scripts and the only thing that cleanly shuts down the server is the builtin powerdown.  Unfortunately, it is prone to hanging up as it has been since the v5 days.

Can you please reinstate the Powerdown plugin so users wont be impacted by this same issue? That was exactly the reason I went with powerdown to begin with.

So just updated to Unraid 6.2 and have removed the powerdown plugin as "it is no longer required".  Hmm apparently not.

Shut the server down over an hour ago using the web system buttons as I normally do and thought everything is fine.  Just realised that the web UI has been hung the entire time.

Go to server, press the power button no response.

So I'm guessing a hard reset now??

Sorry of course not a rant at dlandon, but how Unraid does not have such a basic process in place after YEARS of development is beyond me.

I'm guessing it is a difficult computer science problem!

So can we please go back to using this plugin with 6.2?

Thanks.

<<< snip >>>

The powerdown plugin has been masking the shortcomings of the LT shutdown process since the v5 days and it's time they finally address it.  Be sure to post your diagnostics when in the safe mode.  LT will want all plugins removed to eliminate that as a possibility.

Believe that are a legion of users who appreciate ALL of your efforts to deliver a powerdown plugin that would reliably shutdown their servers safely under almost any set of conditions!!!  I always would recommend to anyone with a shutdown issue that they install the plugin as it would almost always provide a syslog if it didn't solve the problem. 

EDIT: If nothing else, LimeTech should take your plugin and use it as a replacement for their code (I am assuming here that you would grant them permission to do so) or use your approach to write a powerdown routine that would work when the GUI hangs. 

So just updated to Unraid 6.2 and have removed the powerdown plugin as "it is no longer required".  Hmm apparently not.

Shut the server down over an hour ago using the web system buttons as I normally do and thought everything is fine.  Just realised that the web UI has been hung the entire time.

Sorry of course not a rant at dlandon, but how Unraid does not have such a basic process in place after YEARS of development is beyond me.

Thanks.

No, it is not that difficult if you understand unRAID.  I did not complete testing on v6.2, so I don't know if the plugin would run properly.  I made a few changes but I did not want to break the plugin for the 6.1.9 users.  It is really time for LT to work on the shutdown issues.  I can't invest any more time or energy in fixing problems with a product I receive zero benefit from; I have not received even a single contribution for any of my efforts.  It was fun for a while, but not anymore.

It was not my intention to leave everyone hanging.  I really thought the builtin powerdown was working better and did not realize it was still such a problem.  Some have reported that an unRAID system booted in safe mode is hanging up on shutdown.  This is a basic functionality that LT just needs to fix.

Lt is free to use anything I have done on the powerdown plugin, but I suspect Tom is not inclined to do that.  He should use what he thinks is best.

Sorry, but I am done with this plugin.

Thanks.

No, it is not that difficult if you understand unRAID.  I did not complete testing on v6.2, so I don't know if the plugin would run properly.  I made a few changes but I did not want to break the plugin for the 6.1.9 users.  It is really time for LT to work on the shutdown issues.  I can't invest any more time or energy in fixing problems with a product I receive zero benefit from; I have not received even a single contribution for any of my efforts.  It was fun for a while, but not anymore.

It was not my intention to leave everyone hanging.  I really thought the builtin powerdown was working better and did not realize it was still such a problem.  Some have reported that an unRAID system booted in safe mode is hanging up on shutdown.  This is a basic functionality that LT just needs to fix.

Lt is free to use anything I have done on the powerdown plugin, but I suspect Tom is not inclined to do that.  He should use what he thinks is best.

Sorry, but I am done with this plugin.

You fellows who are having shutdown issues with 6.2 should start posting up the details (with the diagnostics file) in the release thread for 6.2.  That way, LimeTech will be made aware that there are issues with that portion of it that should be addressed. 

One other question:  For those of us who already have it installed on 6.2, should we remove it due to pending issues?    ... and what are those issues?    It SEEMS to be working perfectly on my system ... and while it's unfortunate that I can't add it to other systems as I move them to 6.2, I'd like to know the "why" before I remove it from the system it's already installed on ... especially since it seems there are still issues with the "built-in" powerdown function (per a few recent posts).

You fellows who are having shutdown issues with 6.2 should start posting up the details (with the diagnostics file) in the release thread for 6.2.  That way, LimeTech will be made aware that there are issues with that portion of it that should be addressed.

Excellent suggestion.

However, the overall issue has been persistent ever since the unRAID 5 ages and I don't have any hope it will be addressed.

Excellent suggestion.

However, the overall issue has been persistent ever since the unRAID 5 ages and I don't have any hope it will be addressed.

The only difference between then and now is that Dockers and VM's are now officially supported in version 6.2.  Perhaps, that will make the issue a bit more relevant to LimeTech. 

One other question:  For those of us who already have it installed on 6.2, should we remove it due to pending issues?    ... and what are those issues?    It SEEMS to be working perfectly on my system ... and while it's unfortunate that I can't add it to other systems as I move them to 6.2, I'd like to know the "why" before I remove it from the system it's already installed on ... especially since it seems there are still issues with the "built-in" powerdown function (per a few recent posts).

It has not been extensively tested on 6.2.  The next time you boot up it will refuse to install if it has been updated, so it will be gone then.

I have been using the powerdown script so long myself, I did not remember the built in commands or what would trigger a clean shutdown.  I have updated the OP to what I currently know about the command line reboot and shutdown of the server.  Basically the only command line operation that works properly is 'powerdown'.  This uses the webgui to perform the shutdown and will do it cleanly if it doesn't get hung.

Those of you having shutdown issues, please post your concerns in the 6.2 release thread and be sure to include diagnostics.

All those options are on the "Array Operations" tab.  Any operation that stops the array will stop Dockers and VMs properly.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, VMs no longer shutdown cleanly  :-\

Post your issue on the v6.2 release thread and include a diagnostic so LT can troubleshoot it.

A bit disappointed to see this plugin go. The ability to send one command and know that my unraid host would most likely shutdown was a huge feature that I will struggle without.

I used it mainly from the command line and since using this over the last few years I can probably count on one hand how many times I have used the 'stop array' and 'shutdown' buttons in the webgui. Mainly due to the risk of hanging and then having to mess around in the command line trying to work out where the stop array got to and forcing actions. Shutdown should not be so arduous. Fortunately I don't shutdown very often but If I wasn't already using dual parity I would consider going back to 6.1 until this is resolved.

I feel that this is something that probably should be looked at as being core to unraid. Maybe some of the functionality could be set in settings. This would be to allow people to choose features such as forcing the shutdown of vm's etc.

Apologies if this has been integrated but I haven't seen anything in the announcements.

Just another thought after writing all of that. if I have a power outage and my ups sends a shutdown signal I am relying on the inbuilt power down. hope it doesn't hang...

Just to make it clear, I do not hold anything against dlandon for not continuing with this. If anything I owe you and the previous developers a big thank you for your effort in maintaining it so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk