Silverstone DS380 thread?

tucansam

As you probably gathered from my last note, the screws on the Q08 side panels are indeed VERY small.  It's frustrating that they didn't just use the same little hinge pins they used on a PC-Q25B, where the panel just pushes on or pops off (no screws involved).    The Q08 is still a very nice case ... I've used it for several builds, including the most recent system I built for my wife ... but every time I have to remove the side panel I'm wishing it was attached like my Q25B's  :)

I wonder if the Q08 screws are the same as those of the V354.  The V354B screws are the same as the screws I use for my SSDs (in size at least maybe not the same treads) and were black.  V354 screws are the same as the SuperMicro 3x5 drive trays are interchangeable as far as I can remember.  I have retired my V354 case for R4. 

Edit fixed the case name %$#& it!

Has anyone used the Silverstone DS380 with the Asrock E3C224D4I-14S board? I'm asking because it's slightly larger than mini-ITX.

I looked at this thread and found the mobo pretty impressive: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32704.0

Advantages over the C2750D4I (using the E3C224D4I-14S with the XEON E3-1230L v3):

* supports VT-D

* Better PassMark score (7,3 vs 3,9 and almost 3x single PassMark score)

Downside is the slightly higher TDP (25W vs. 20W CPU only, so I guess it will use around 40W in total).

Any other items to consider using this board in the DS380?

Apologies, just saw, that Gary covered this already here:

Edit2: Think I found my next attempt: ASRock E3C224D4I-14S

Edit3: And the ports are on the extended portion / longer side of the motherboard which wouldn't fit in the case. I give up.

The DS380 specifications indicates it will work with DTX boards.  The E3C224D4I-14S is well within the 9.6" max width spec for DTX (it's 8.4" wide).    In addition, it looks like the mini-SAS connectors are just ahead of the 2 SATA connectors ... NOT on the extended portion of the board.

Why don't you think this board would work ??

Has anyone used the Silverstone DS380 with the Asrock E3C224D4I-14S board? I'm asking because it's slightly larger than mini-ITX.

I looked at this thread and found the mobo pretty impressive: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32704.0

Advantages over the C2750D4I (using the E3C224D4I-14S with the XEON E3-1230L v3):

* supports VT-D

Downside is the slightly higher TDP (25W vs. 20W CPU only, so I guess it will use around 40W in total).

Edit3: And the ports are on the extended portion / longer side of the motherboard which wouldn't fit in the case. I give up.

The DS380 specifications indicates it will work with DTX boards.  The E3C224D4I-14S is well within the 9.6" max width spec for DTX (it's 8.4" wide).    In addition, it looks like the mini-SAS connectors are just ahead of the 2 SATA connectors ... NOT on the extended portion of the board.

I was so close to replacing my c2750 a few months ago with that exact setup in order to get vt-d but I decided to save money and watts. The only thing to consider with the case is to follow what danioj did. Make a barrier between the fans and motherboard from the fan side up to the drive cage to force the air through the cage. It fixed all hard drive cooling problems and made the case much more quiet.

If you go that route I would be interested in your idle watts for that system.

I misspoke in my earlier comment -- not sure if I misread it, or if there was an error on Silverstone's site that's now been corrected => but in any event, the DS380 is compatible with mini-DTX boards (NOT DTX boards).

The mini-DTX form factor is 8" x 6.7"

The motherboard you'd like to use is 8.4" x 6.7" ... so without the case in hand, it's impossible to know whether or not it would fit.    Perhaps someone with the case could see just how much extra clearance there is beyond their (presumably) mini-ITX motherboard.

I'd certainly THINK it will work .. but 0.4" is indeed 0.4" => and if that's too much, it's too much !!

• 2 months later...

* supports VT-D

I was able to make a ASRock E3C224D4I-14S work in the DS380 case with some new motherboard standoffs mods.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3minso/build_complete_smallest_12x_drive_diy_nas/

• 2 months later...

Any suggestions for a CPU cooler for this case with an E3-1231v3?

I'm thinking either a Crtorig C7: http://www.ebuyer.com/719014-cryorig-c7-slim-heatpipe-cpu-cooler-cr-c7a

or maybe an Arctic Freezer 11 LP: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/arctic-freezer-11-lp-low-profile-processor-cooler-for-intel-socket-1150-1151-1155-1156-775-100-watts

Or would the stock cooler be fine?

I use the stock cooler for an E3-1241v3 in my Main Server in a Define R5 and it has operated very cool for close to a year 24x7 operation even in high ambient temperatures and high load. The airflow in my R5 is much better than the DS380 though.

I use a quad atom (Avoton) in the DS380 as my Backup Server and it runs cool. Obviously I don't have your scenario but assuming the stock cooler fits in the case (and it might be tight so double check) my gut tells me that it should be just fine.

Note, that to improve airflow in the DS380 case see link to my build thread in my sig for a link to the skirt mod I did to improve overall airflow in the case (initially over the drives, over the cpu and then out the back).

So from the looks of it, it's just a bit of cardboard, wonder why the case doesn't come with a skirt built in if it makes that much difference?

Anyone know what the height of the stock cooler is, struggling to find the info anywhere, my google fu is on the fritz.

So from the looks of it, it's just a bit of cardboard, wonder why the case doesn't come with a skirt built in if it makes that much difference?

Anyone know what the height of the stock cooler is, struggling to find the info anywhere, my google fu is on the fritz.

Oh

"Come On!!!" - *He says emulating Leyton Hewitt he is watching in the Australian Open match!!*

dude!

All you're giving me for that idea is .... "So from the looks of it, it's just a bit of cardboard...". Well yes I guess it is, but it took a bit of thought! Works well though. Simplest ideas are often the best!

Lucky for me! LOL! :)

As for the dimensions of the cooler I don't know without opening up. Happy to do so at the end of the week if you find you can't source the information. Let me know it thats the case!

LOL

I didn't mean it like that, it was quite hard from the pictures to work out what was going on, until I got to the picture which focuses on the cardboard, but even then it's hard to see how it fits against the drive cage (does it just butt up to it?), but I think when I have the case in front of me it will make more sense.

I should have the cpu/cooler/case by Wednesday so I will be able to see for myself then, but if it's the same cooler as this: http://www.mihaimatei.com/intel-boxed-cooler-dimensions-1150-1155/ then it should fit in (46mm), though the specs on that state it should be in a space at least 81.3mm in height, so we'll have to see how it gets on.

And hey, if it works, why not, my point, if I had a point at all (which I'm not sure I did) is if such a simple thing makes such a big difference, you would think Silverstone would implement it as standard.

Anyway, thanks for the help :)

*edit* I've seen on pictures now that it might not be that big an issue with the extra height needed as the CPU cooler should only be partially obstructed over 57mm with the drive cage, but the rest is open air.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to add something to this thread. As I have noted in posts in the past, while I am convinced that the stock fans do a "good" job at providing sufficient cooling for the DS380 case (with a little help of the skirt of course) I have just had the opportunity to make them better.

My Backup Server went down (due to a seperate PSU failure: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45610.0) and I had to get it back to my supplier so they could manage the warranty replacement for me. While in the store waiting for the guys in the back to bring the thing forward I was talking to the talkative nice American guy behind the counter. I started discussing unRAID, My Setup etc ...

We talked about the DS380 and my "Hope" that the PSU was the issue and that the backpane of the DS380 case wasn't the true issue behind my problems (for those interested there has been much discussion on the Internet and these forums about potential backpane issues). Anyway ... I explained my Skirt Mod and the "possibility" that "some" may find the Temperatures on the "High" side of things.

After some explanation of the issue (which I won't go into again) he asked me bluntly "Why not use better fans and just have the cooler setup, especially when it gets into the 40's around here at least you won't care if there is a parity check going on ..."

I explained that I HAD bought these fans BUT I was sufficiently happy with the Stock fans and my Skirt Mod that I didn't feel the need to use the $90 fans (3 x Noctua NF-F12's PWM - as previously noted - @ AUD $30 each) I bought in the Backup Server and the money was best placed where I now have them in another "Gaming" Rig. Conversation over, or so I thought ....

It appears that he was that "Annoyed" by my decision NOT to use the fans he made me wait for the PSU to come up for the stores so he could go down and bring up 3 x Noctua NF-F12's. He waved them in front of me (with a weird sort of "I'm going to Kill you later ..." sort of smile on his face) but I was un moved. Plenty of Testing. Quite a few 40 Degree Days. Drives are Fine. Conversation over, or so I thought ....

He offers me them for AUD $10 each for being a good loyal customer over the years. Conversation over this time???? Absolutely!!!! SOLD!!! LOL!!

Well, to the root of it all and long story short (I know, too late) I installed them when I put the new PSU in AND I am SOOOOO surprised at the temperature drop!

I have the 3 of them (2 x intake and 1 x outtake) running at close to full speed (1400rpm). As the Backup Server has been out of action for a while I initiated the Parity Check it missed on the 1st of the month! So I leave it for 4 hours and look back at the temperatures ....

Woah! :o

Given the ambient temperature in Melbourne today is 27'C ...

- The Main Server (which is an Fractal Design Define R5 and has FANTASTIC cooling) with all disks (7 x Mechanical and 3 x SSD) spun up and working away is running at ~(min)33-(max)35'C.

- The Backup Server (which of course is in the DS380 and now has these 3 new Bargain fans in them) with all disks (4 x Mechanical and 1 x SSD) spun up and doing a parity check is running at ~(min)30-(max)33'C.

What a difference!! What a drop from those I quoted in my tests earlier last year (when they were touching 40's under load - which by the way is still OK as its well within manufacturer spec). Note that I still have the skirt installed and have grills on and the door closed (as ALWAYS).

If I had my time again I would go back and put the fans I initially bought and decided to utilise elsewhere in this case and would have had such good cooling. In the grand scheme of things I don't feel that there has been much gained (unless you believe by reducing these temps I have prolonged the drive - which i don't FWIW) as the drives are spec'd to operate under load much hotter than I ever got to on the hottest 40'C day here in Melbourne AND under load BUT I somehow like the fact that the Backup Server is now running cooler and is going toe to toe with my Main Server for cooling performance!

I now also wonder if (as I add more and more drives / GPU's to the main server) If Ill benefit from replacing the Fractal Design Fans with Noctua ones and drop the temperatures on the Main Server down too! Ill keep that in mind!! All in all these Noctua fans are awesome!

Hope someone finds this interesting and informative!  8)

P.S. It is a tad of a noisier little bleeder (Louder than the R5 with 4 fans of a larger size in it - BUT of course the R5 has better sound proofing and is a MUCH better and Larger Case) with these fans in it BUT where it sits in the study Silence is NOT a requirement and the noise to cooling trade off is fine by me!

I had the same experience as you. I bought the same Noctua NF F12's in hopes to bring my temps down before the skirt mod.  They brought my temps down maybe 5° to low 40°s @ ~1100 rpms but would creep up towards high 40°s during party checks.  With the skirt mod I run them in smart mode. They sit at 30° @ 600 rpms. And mid to high 30°s @ 800-900 rpms during parity checks/rebuilds. I also always had the filters on.

Also my board won't control 3pin fans, so the stock fans ran fast and loud. These are 4 pin pwm so they are controllable. I think they are great fans. But without the skirt they still wouldn't cut it with this case.

I had the same experience as you. I bought the same Noctua NF F12's in hopes to bring my temps down before the skirt mod.  They brought my temps down maybe 5° to low 40°s @ ~1100 rpms but would creep up towards high 40°s during party checks.  With the skirt mod I run them in smart mode. They sit at 30° @ 600 rpms. And mid to high 30°s @ 800-900 rpms during parity checks/rebuilds. I also always had the filters on.

Also my board won't control 3pin fans, so the stock fans ran fast and loud. These are 4 pin pwm so they are controllable. I think they are great fans. But without the skirt they still wouldn't cut it with this case.

I think I shall switch them to smart mode too based on your feedback. Ta!

... He offers me them for AUD $10 each for being a good loyal customer over the years. Conversation over this time???? Absolutely!!!! SOLD!!! LOL!!

You only made one BIG mistake ... You should have said "Great ... I'll take a dozen of them !!"  8) 8)

Damn, Yeah! Rookie Mistake! Got all excited and didn't think! LOL!

• 4 weeks later...

What is the consensus on the best fans to run in a DS380 to replace stock fans, when it's operating as a NAS?  I'll be doing the "skirt" mod as that is unequivocally the best thing to do for cooling.

I'm Planning on running it with an Asock E3C226D2I motherboard, which only controls PWM fans.  There aren't enough headers to control 3 fans, so have to also get a 1-to-2 splitter.

I've seen mention of the Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM fans, but also more recently the "Gentle Typhoon" 1250 PWMs.

It'll be sitting in my living room so looking for balance of quiet and cooling capability. I know there's no one single best fan, but hoping to tap the hive mind here on at least how to make the choice of which fans to replace.

What is the consensus on the best fans to run in a DS380 to replace stock fans, when it's operating as a NAS?

Planning on running it with an Asock E3C226D2I motherboard, which only controls PWM fans.  There aren't enough headers to control 3 fans, so have to also get a 1-to-2 splitter.

I've seen mention of the Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM fans, but also more recently the "Gentle Typhoon" 1250 PWMs.

I know there's no one single best fan, but hoping to tap the hive mind here.

IMHO the Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans are Perfect. I have them in my Setup and they are awesome.

http://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-pwm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new Silverstone DS380 server built with 4 Western Digital Red NAS drives (1 parity + 3 array) and a Samsung EVO 250GB SSD for caching.  I'm using an Asrock E3C224D4I-14S which I fit in thanks to some great info on Reddit about creating new standouts to lower the motherboard so an SFX power supply would still fit.

I replaced the stock DS380 case fans for 3 Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm fans, which could be driven each by a mobo fan connector without a splitter since the E3C224D4I-14 has enough connectors.

I also did the "skirt" hack that placed a piece of cardboard next to the dual side fans to direct airflow more directly to the drive cage.

Unraid is reporting that my drives are low 40s to start with, with one drive at 45C which has me worried.

SP0H6vx.png

After about 30 mins of running (with basically no load), they are not reporting at mid to high 40s. This has be super worried.

iPwises.png

I installed an IPMI plugin to unraid to get the fan, mobo and CPU temps and here's what I'm seeing:

SnIdOXS.png

I would've expected the fans to be spinning faster than that, so not sure if that's the reason why the temps are so hot.

I double checked in the BIOS that the fans are indeed set to "Smart fan" mode.  When the system starts up, they spin much faster as you can hear them all going full blast, but after Unraid starts to boot, the fans slow down and the system is noticeably quieter.

g1Smr9Z.png

Any suggestions where to start looking to "debug" this heat situation?

Have to be quick as I'm on my way out (so excuse the poorly worded and brief response) but yes, get into your BIOS or IPMI interface (assuming it allows it) and set those fans to run at full speed!

I know this function is coming in the IPMI Plugin BUT you don't need it.

EDIT: however as I mentioned to another user earlier today, even in the 40's why worry? The new disks of today have acceptable operating temperatures up to ~70'C.

Chill!  8) (Pun intended)  :)