[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

This docker is wonderful, but it does need constant updates from the author to get things working again. I used this great docker myself for a while but didn't have time to keep checking to see if it was working all the time. Kind of just want to set things up, start it and leave it. I was lucky enough to have ample resources so I threw up an ubuntu VM, installed Crashplan server, setup which folders to back up and that's it. Has been running good. It is just an alternative.

I can't get it going..

My windows client stuck on splash screen

Check that the changes in my.service.xml on the server is done. If they are ok leave the CrashPlan Docker running and don’t update it! It must have been able to auto updated 4.4.1 to work. You can check the logs on the server.

Check that ui.properties on your PC is ok.

Copy the .identity file and the .ui_info file to your PC and change .ui_info file.

Reboot your PC and try again...

I rebooted PC, did twice..

Update has a life of its own.

How difficult it is to update jar or whatever it is on the crashplan-desktop?

It’s probably not as easy as updating the app in the container, the folder mappings inside the container is also likely needed to be updated as well.

I have Crashplan and the Crashplan desktop configured per the instructions here. It appears as though everything is working correctly, but I can't get Crashplan to connect to crashplan central. It just sits there with a gray ball and says connection status: disconnected.

screenshot.jpg.5db0df945a0b7b21377089108a77b322.jpg

Hello,

I am getting the same issue as above, albeit after it worked for a few minutes, then it tried to upgrade itself.

If I completely remove the container and the image, upon reinstall, it somehow picks up all the old settings.

What else do I need to remove for a complete clean un install of the Desktop container.

Regards,

Simpic

Hello,

I am getting the same issue as above, albeit after it worked for a few minutes, then it tried to upgrade itself.

If I completely remove the container and the image, upon reinstall, it somehow picks up all the old settings.

What else do I need to remove for a complete clean un install of the Desktop container.

Regards,

Simpic

The CrashPlan Desktop container is currently not working, it needs to be updated to version 4.4.1 since it doesn’t update itself as CrashPlan container does. The Windows client is your option at this moment.

Hello,

I can't seem to get the windows client working either.

Just to check, I have done the following: -

On the unRAID box updated...

1) my.service.xml to 0.0.0.0 & 4243

On the windows client updated...

1) C:\ProgramFiles\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties to serviceHost=192.168.1.114 & servicePort=4243

2) Copied the .identity and .ui_info files across to C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\

3) Updated the .ui_info file to the unRAID ip address

Is there anything else I need to do? At the moment it just sits there on the splash screen.

Hello,

I can't seem to get the windows client working either.

Just to check, I have done the following: -

On the unRAID box updated...

1) my.service.xml to 0.0.0.0 & 4243

On the windows client updated...

1) C:\ProgramFiles\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties to serviceHost=192.168.1.114 & servicePort=4243

2) Copied the .identity and .ui_info files across to C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\

3) Updated the .ui_info file to the unRAID ip address

Is there anything else I need to do? At the moment it just sits there on the splash screen.

Was the server running when you made the changes to my.service.xml? If it was you probably need to restart the CrashPlan container. Then you also need to copy the new files to your PC as well.

Have you Disable CrashPlan Backup Service on your PC?

That seems to have sorted it.

I now get the app starting and it can see the \mnt dir mapped to \data.

Unfortunately it does not seem to want to connect to CrashPlan Central. Got the grey ball.

Never happened to me (heard that one before… :o) Suggest checking the log located at your server in log folder at the location where your config is stored. Look for history.log and service.log to start with a see if you can get some hints there. If you see that the version is 4.4.1 that is a good sign. Basically poke around and look for logs with latest time stamps.

But...

It's fixed the not connecting to CrashPlan Central issue.

I copied over the files following the restart of the container and the app connects as it should.

I think it was because the identity file was recreated, where as before it was not for some reason.

Sorted :-)

I see there's a lot of problems with the Desktop instance, but is anyone else having trouble with the server?  My server seems to shut itself down or something about once a day.  My CrashPlan instances on other machines which back up to the unRAID box all show as disconnected from the box's server engine.

Then, if I stop and restart the CrashPlan Engine docker, it works again for another day or so before disconnecting.  Any ideas what is happening?  My remote machines seem to be on 4.4.1.

seems our upgrading gets stuck again for some reason

new version = 4.41

seems the upgrader gets stuck at 4.33

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5vsuy4rl3roxdo/dropbox.JPG?dl=0

sits there now for several hours without installing the 2 newer versions he downloaded

*** UPDATE ***

got everything to run again except the desktop again

just do it the old way by changing the .ui_info

ssh in you server

docker exec CrashPlan cat /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info

you will get something like this 4243,[glow=red,2,300]1a5b6fcc-4c07-44a7-affe-66f8c6342195[/glow],0.0.0.0

copy paste that middle part (glowing) into the

c:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\.ui_info

it should look like this

4200,1a5b6fcc-4c07-44a7-affe-66f8c6342195,127.0.0.1

Please note 4200 is the port you tunneled with ....

after that follow instruction to tunnel into your server -> http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer

check your history tab and see what he has done... if he says he installed version 4.3.x or 4.4.0 and is waiting there

then just do a docker stop and docker start

he will start with that installed version.... i had to do this twice to get to 4.4.1 and get it running

after all servers,  computers are on 4.4.1 everything works again.. aka everything backs up again.. but the stupid desktop client i have no clue how to upgrade that one

so i use the old tunnel method till somebody updates that one .... last time it took like 3 weeks for he auto updated

Not quite following that last post but I think saying the same thing as me.

I found that the automatic updates seemed to get "stuck" sometimes, so manually restarting the Docker and just monitoring the log files for the CPVER line was enough to push it up to 4.4.1. If it seemed to stop, just restart it.

.ui_info seems to the be only file that needs to be change on a Windows frontend I found. .ui_properties seems to be ignored as does ui_<user name>.properties. Just set the local port to whatever you are tunneling through to the unRAID machine along with the GUID and you should be good to go.

One thing I did find was that if I changed any of the mapped paths, it seemed to reset the container's version of CrashPlan back to 4.3.0 and it had to go through the stepped upgrade process again. Not sure if that's expected or not.

Otherwise thanks. It's now working after mulitple false starts trying to get it to adopt my old install on unRAID v5.

Also, should the default path be updated? Currently it's /mnt/sdd/appdata/crashplan whereas other dockers generally use /mnt/user/appdata/xxxxx. Minor annoyance but something I had to do multiple times since I was removing and re-installing a few times whilst I attempted to get it to work.

The recommended default mapping suggested (not mandatory) from unRAID 6.2 is said to be /mnt/user/appdata/crashplan for as system using User Shares.

When you change mappings the Container gets downloaded again with version 4.3.0, that’s why it will go through the auto update again.

I spent hours yesterday trying to get this working - wasn't until I re-read the post by sacretagent which was to keep manually restarting the crashplan docker and check the log files until you have the same version on the back-end as the front.

Finally I am up and running - thank-you sacretagent - just waiting for the gui to be updated but at least we're backing up!

Can somebody please explain the differences/uses of these versions as I do not know which one I should install. Does this perform incremental backups or?

Backup: PC & Laptop [Windows 10] > Server.

CrashPlan is primarily intended for backing up files from a computer or a server to the CrashPlan Cloud (their servers) so that you have an offsite backup.

You can do local backups as well from your PC to unRAID if you do some tricks http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=17672.0

For doing the above you install CrashPlan on your Windows PC. However, you should be aware that your backup is in a compressed backup archive in a property format so you will not be able to do anything with your files except for restoring them with CrashPlan.

CrashPlan does incremental backups as well as keep different version of your files depending on the settings you make.

When you install CrashPlan on unRAID the primary reason usually to back up your server. There is a guide in my signature that explains this a bit more.