unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta12-x86_64 Available

limetech

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry if this has been asked.  I have been trying to keep up with this thread but have failed.  :S

I have a cache drive but do not use it for caching:

IGRYjI4.png]

Why do I have a "Move now" button on the Array Operation tab?

qHPBt4P.png

Looks like a bug we need to fix...

I'll throw this out there...

The fact that this button is visible to users who are not using a cache drive for actual caching purposes, is it possible that unraid thinks that caching is indeed enabled and the mover is therefore also enabled and running on a schedule?

The reason I ask is what would this do to docket configs and VMs stored on the cache drive?  Would unraid try to manipulate them is some way when the mover starts?

John

This was a bug and has already been fixed internally.

Was the bug simply a matter of the Move Now button being visible/active when caching was disabled?  Caching/mover was not being enabled even though the Cache Settings showed otherwise, correct?

I'm still trying to find the root cause of some odd behavior I have been seeing, particularly in the early hours of the morning (typically when the mover would start).

John

Was the bug simply a matter of the Move Now button being visible/active when caching was disabled?  Caching/mover was not being enabled even though the Cache Settings showed otherwise, correct?

I'm still trying to find the root cause of some odd behavior I have been seeing, particularly in the early hours of the morning (typically when the mover would start).

John

It was just a visual bug.  It was visible when caching was disabled and shouldn't have impacted any function.

John

It was just a visual bug.  It was visible when caching was disabled and shouldn't have impacted any function.

Thank you sir.

Do you have any feedback or information regarding the lack of CPU frequency scaling that a group of us are experiencing?

Is that only in Xen mode that you're seeing this issue?

Thanks for looking into it..

For now I manually lowered my multiplier to 12, so at least it's not just wasting energy for no good reason.

No, I see this in KVM also.  All 4 cores show about 3000 in my dashboard.

Same, mine is 3800...

OK, we are investigating. With xen, someone else already gave us the command we needed to get the proper CPU frequencies. Fix is being implemented.

Still trying to figure out the right approach with KVM.

There are pretty major differences between KVM and Xen in this area.

I just manually lowered my CPU multiplier to 12 for now.. It'll do for now until a fix is figured out.

I don't think there is a "fix" to figure out. The issue is reporting, not actual cpu freq. I used  xenpm get-cpufreq-states | grep "current" before and after starting a plex transcode and I can see the freq go from 1400 to 3500. so cpu scaling is working, it just isn't being reported correctly.

With xen, its just reporting. With KVM, I'm not sure yet...

Any updates on this? Is this actually an issue or just the webgui reporting bad info?

Using code provided in this thread it appears that it's an actual issue. I am in the default boot mode which I believe is KVM, so it's not Xen related.

Can we get the OP updated with what bugs have been acknowledged and/or fixed for the next release? Users are posting with the same issues over and over, and myself and others keep having to look through pages of posts to see if someone has already reported an issue or to find whether an employee has confirmed it is fixed in the next release.

Can we get the OP updated with what bugs have been acknowledged and/or fixed for the next release? Users are posting with the same issues over and over, and myself and others keep having to look through pages of posts to see if someone has already reported an issue or to find whether an employee has confirmed it is fixed in the next release.

Bugs shouldn't be posted in here. They should be posted in the defect forum. That is how limetech wants to manage things.

Upgraded from 5.0.5 to 6b12, all good so far (in fact, it's gone very smoothly, hope I didn't just curse myself...).

Except for one drive possibly remaining spun up (need to verify) and CPU at 100% (would doing a preclear to a USB drive via SNAP possibly cause this?), no issues to report.  But then, I'm not pushing the envelop either, my server is exclusively for content storage and access, with only two plugins (SNAP and APC UPS Support).  Only reason I upgraded was for improved web gui and potentially moving to a different file system (though at the moment I still haven't seen any clear reason to move off of ReiserFS). 

Y

Yorgo - the CPU percentage is just a reporting issue - see three posts above yours for a good explanation.

I'm not sure that's true in all cases.  It is known that it's a reporting issue when you are booted in Xen mode, and the actual way to determine CPU frequency in Xen mode is

xenpm get-cpufreq-states | grep "current"

If you are not booted in Xen mode then it's possible that this is not just a reporting issue. At least I've not heard any authoritative source confirm this is just an reporting issue for non-xen users... yet. 

I also think the conversation is a little muddied because of different groups of people here (Xen, non-Xen) are giving conflicting reports to all cases "It's just a reporting issue", "It's not just a reporting issue" when it might be the case that it's different for both groups.

For the record, I'm not in Xen mode (default boot options) and when I check the cpu frequency using the following code

awk '/^cpu MHz/ {print $4*1" MHz"}' /proc/cpuinfo

or

cat /proc/cpuinfo |egrep -i mhz

(Both from another thread about this issue) my cpu seems to be running at max frequency  even when cpu usage is minimal and not stepping down.

That said I'm not an expert on this or anything linux related, and those methods to extract the cpu frequency could be incorrect, or there could be something else going on.

I'd like some feedback on this from an authoritative source for us Non-Xen users (which is why I brought this back up a few posts ago)... would be good to know one way or another if it's just an reporting issue in both Xen and Non-Xen modes, or if it's another issue which needs to be fixed.

I just put together a I7 4790 system and running Win7 KVM. I see a discrepancy between what's reported by htop (attached screenshot) and from cpuinfo.

root@Tower:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo |egrep -i mhz

cpu MHz        : 3980.531

cpu MHz        : 3986.718

cpu MHz        : 3909.515

cpu MHz        : 3921.187

cpu MHz        : 3985.171

cpu MHz        : 3894.890

cpu MHz        : 3801.093

cpu MHz        : 3803.484

The KVM is allocated half cpu cores and both the Unraid and KVM are on idle mode.

Yorgo - the CPU percentage is just a reporting issue - see three posts above yours for a good explanation.

I'm not sure that's true in all cases.  It is known that it's a reporting issue when you are booted in Xen mode, and the actual way to determine CPU frequency in Xen mode is

If you are not booted in Xen mode then it's possible that this is not just a reporting issue. At least I've not heard any authoritative source confirm this is just an reporting issue for non-xen users... yet. 

I also think the conversation is a little muddied because of different groups of people here (Xen, non-Xen) are giving conflicting reports to all cases "It's just a reporting issue", "It's not just a reporting issue" when it might be the case that it's different for both groups.

For the record, I'm not in Xen mode (default boot options) and when I check the cpu frequency using the following code

or

(Both from another thread about this issue) my cpu seems to be running at max frequency  even when cpu usage is minimal and not stepping down.

That said I'm not an expert on this or anything linux related, and those methods to extract the cpu frequency could be incorrect, or there could be something else going on.

I'd like some feedback on this from an authoritative source for us Non-Xen users (which is why I brought this back up a few posts ago)... would be good to know one way or another if it's just an reporting issue in both Xen and Non-Xen modes, or if it's another issue which needs to be fixed.

CpuFreq.jpg.5f986953058736cff5f93203d538c0e3.jpg

I just put together a I7 4790 system and running Win7 KVM. I see a discrepancy between what's reported by htop (attached screenshot) and from cpuinfo.

The KVM is allocated half cpu cores and both the Unraid and KVM are on idle mode.

or

There is no correlation between percentage of cpu used and actual MHz. The two commands are not showing conflicting information from what I could see.

or

There is no correlation between percentage of cpu used and actual MHz. The two commands are not showing conflicting information from what I could see.

Shouldn’t the processor be throttling? Maybe this is just confusion on my part about what the expected behavior here is and should be, but my understanding is that with modern processors should include some sort of dynamic throttling and not run at the maximum frequency all the time.

We know that the webgui is reporting the wrong info and this throttling is occurring if you are booted in Xen mode.

What I have not seen conclusively stated yet is if the webgui is reporting the wrong info and this throttling is actually occurring under default boot options.  Resulting in the CPU running at max frequency at all times.

If someone could provide the correct way to check the current cpu frequency under default boot options I’d be glad to check my system.

All I know is that so far using the commands that I’ve seen posted here (not the Xen one since I’m in default boot mode) is that those results support the notion that my CPU is not throttling as I would expect.

This post suggests that the files that govern cpu scaling might just be missing. I’ve not checked my system for this yet.

I wanted to let you know that in the process of upgrading a drive and expanding the file system (Replacing a 2TB drive with a 3TB drive), I got a warning and an alert browser notification and emails. They aren't very descriptive yet, but I know it is still a work in progress.

Thank you guys!

Gary

I wanted to let you know that in the process of upgrading a drive and expanding the file system (Replacing a 2TB drive with a 3TB drive), I got a warning and an alert browser notification and emails. They aren't very descriptive yet, but I know it is still a work in progress.

Thank you guys!

Gary

You guys are beyond me with this cpu frequency thing but I -do- notice that my fans are way more active which is most likely the result of heat which is the result of my xenon x2 working hard doing nothing ?

just default unraid, no plugins besides cache_dirs

Why do the system stats only collect data temporarily? As in I have no history of stats unless I leave the window open.

Probably to avoid running out of memory, or avoid killing the flash drive.

But I have 16 gigs of ram and a whole array of drives for storage.

If your looking for a better stats package, you could try the Dynamix System Stat's Plugin.  It gives you a longer history if you select it from the drop down.

Why do the system stats only collect data temporarily? As in I have no history of stats unless I leave the window open.

Probably to avoid running out of memory, or avoid killing the flash drive.

But I have 16 gigs of ram and a whole array of drives for storage.

If your looking for a better stats package, you could try the Dynamix System Stat's Plugin.  It gives you a longer history if you select it from the drop down.

Yes. I do have this installed as it comes with b12. If I select ANYTHING from the drop down menu besides real-time, it is blank.

So it begs the question. Where are the stats?

Click on the 'Real Time' drop down and you can select the amount of history to show.

I truly feel as though you are not reading my posts.

If I select ANYTHING from the drop down menu besides real-time, it is blank.

Blank as there is NO HISTORY TO SHOW. So that why I was wondering, where are the stats it logs?