unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta12-x86_64 Available

limetech

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be happy we have betas and  can give feed back, recommendations, hell one guy asked if his particular controller could be rolled it, we got all of that.  I dont know of any other NAS system that even releases betas or even routine updates.  You think your ReadyNAS, MyCloud, or Synology box gets massive updates, or even a complete free reroll to 64 bit?

Still I agree with the weird updates.  Normally its beta till feature freeze, then RC's come out till the ball drops.

Be happy we have betas and  can give feed back, recommendations, hell one guy asked if his particular controller could be rolled it, we got all of that.  I dont know of any other NAS system that even releases betas or even routine updates.  You think your ReadyNAS, MyCloud, or Synology box gets massive updates, or even a complete free reroll to 64 bit?

Still I agree with the weird updates.  Normally its beta till feature freeze, then RC's come out till the ball drops.

The only issue I have is beta's are supposed to be two way streets. We agree to run unfinished versions of our software in order to test it prior to general release, but the vendor has a responsibility to effectively communicate during this time, and release timely updates, which is where LT consistently falls short in my opinion.

The only issue I have is beta's are supposed to be two way streets. We agree to run unfinished versions of our software in order to test it prior to general release, but the vendor has a responsibility to effectively communicate during this time, and release timely updates, which is where LT consistently falls short in my opinion.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do feel their obligation to us, the users running beta software, is to fix the bugs we report, and release those fixes quickly.

I understand the desire to fix everything, and add all the goodies, and make it great, but I think that releasing bug fixes can/should happen much more quickly.  I'm not complaining, and am not demanding anything, and am only affected by the possible bug of the CPU running at max speed all the time, which is not great, but not terrible either.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the matter.

Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

Perhaps you mean:

You're confusing a quote from The Beatles with a quote from Disney?

Like many others here, I'm running beta12 without problems apart from the fact that my server is drawing a little more power (as reported by the UPS) than it used to - due to failure to spin down and, possibly(?), a failure of the cpu throttling (there has been no change to the hardware).

Speaking of UPS - after shipping three replacements to my BX1100CI-MS, because they've been demanding battery replacement every two months, APC are now replacing it with a BR1200-GI, a model which retails at more than twice the price of my original unit - that's customer care for you!

pinion, I was just thinking the same. "Sweet Jesus here we go again....another 20 pages of complaining.

Kryspy

So which do you view as the larger issue... the fact that after 2 months of no communication the natives get restless, or the fact that LT hasn't woken up to the fact that 2 months of silence will cause the natives to get restless?

Personally I get tired of the pages of complaints, but I get even more tired of the lack of corporate communication - and the fact that it's only when people start complaining that we get any news out of LT.

bkastner,

What do you want them to communicate about?    Ask a specific question. Send them an e-mail.  Provide beta feedback but don't expect a reply or a lack of one as a sign of neglect.  The product works just fine as is for most users.  If you are unhappy with the beta process as is there is a stable release in 5.05.

Kryspy

bkastner,

What do you want them to communicate about?    Ask a specific question. Send them an e-mail.  Provide beta feedback but don't expect a reply or a lack of one as a sign of neglect.  The product works just fine as is for most users.  If you are unhappy with the beta process as is there is a stable release in 5.05.

Kryspy

Updated timelines, locked set of features to be included, status updates. Basically what you could/should expect from any beta program.

I am happy to participate in beta programs and have done so for years - with many vendors. I don't think the above expectations are unrealistic.

I find it disturbing that there's a (long) list of features yet to be implemented in 6.0, yet there doesn't seem to be any proper bug tracking or list of known and confirmed issues.

Feature freeze this sucker already and focus on getting it stable -> RC -> Release.

Look at it this way - the sooner you guys can get 6.0 out the door, the sooner you can get to work on 6.1. The 64-bit kernel, Docker and XFS are huge improvements that users will hugely appreciate - surely the rest of the planned features are nice-to-have and can wait till 6.1. I will highlight but a few:

- Particularly the turbo-writes feature worries me - too risky, please leave for the next release.

- UPS support and safe powerdown? Please - we've survived this far with needing to add that via plugins or unmenu packages.

- Mouseover for SMART status - do you have any concept of what a minor feature that is in relation to 64-bit and docker??

I find it disturbing that there's a (long) list of features yet to be implemented in 6.0, yet there doesn't seem to be any proper bug tracking or list of known and confirmed issues.

Feature freeze this sucker already and focus on getting it stable -> RC -> Release.

Look at it this way - the sooner you guys can get 6.0 out the door, the sooner you can get to work on 6.1. The 64-bit kernel, Docker and XFS are huge improvements that users will hugely appreciate - surely the rest of the planned features are nice-to-have and can wait till 6.1. I will highlight but a few:

- Particularly the turbo-writes feature worries me - too risky, please leave for the next release.

- UPS support and safe powerdown? Please - we've survived this far with needing to add that via plugins or unmenu packages.

- Mouseover for SMART status - do you have any concept of what a minor feature that is in relation to 64-bit and docker??

Feature creep is one of the largest issues, and while it does provide some shiny new toys, it invariably causes issues and long delays. I had made suggestions ages ago that 6.0 should have just been 5.0 64-bit version - though including Docker was a good idea to fix the plugin issue. Get 6.0 out the door, and then pick 3-5 features to implement for 6.1, 6.2, etc. Have a poll of what people want to see and knock off the top items on the list. You could likely get 2-3 releases a year this way by sticking to a strict set of obtainable goals. Everyone would be on 6.0 already by now, and we'd likely have 6.1 out the door or in RC as well. (Almost) no one would be complaining, people would have confidence in LT being able to set/meet goals and have a predictable release schedule.

This type of repeatability would also allow LT to start charging a subscription model where people could pay $10-20/year after initial purchase in order to receive upgrades for a year. Not everyone would like this of couse, but I think it's reasonable if you were guaranteed at least 1, if not 2-3 upgrades per year, and it would drive a ton of extra revenue into LT to further expand the dev pool and bring in other resources as required.

Right now no-one has any confidence that they are going to see a release within a 12 month period so subscriptions are off the table, however I think most would be willing to subscribe if they were confident they were going to see progress - especially if the feature poll was used and specific features were earmarked for an upcoming release and people could see what they were going to get access to in the upcoming release.

The current everything but the kitchen sink approach is un-manageable and doesn't allow for predictable timelines/results. It's why 5.0 took 4 years to be released, and 6.0 is taking way longer than it should.

Just my $0.02

Ladies and gents, please check your webGui for plugin updates and you can download a significant set of fixes to the webGui that Tom just released.

I started another topic before you announced this to see if anyone knew what the changes were. 

Big improvement on the dashboard (memory usage, improved smart status, fan speed) but I don't like the smart status being red for a single reallocated sector.  What other changes are there?

Ladies and gents, please check your webGui for plugin updates and you can download a significant set of fixes to the webGui that Tom just released.

I started another topic before you announced this to see if anyone knew what the changes were. 

Big improvement on the dashboard (memory usage, improved smart status, fan speed) but I don't like the smart status being red for a single reallocated sector.  What other changes are there?

Working on putting a summary post together.

With this webGui update only not all background processes are properly started yet, including the parity check.

I have created some workarounds which can be copied and pasted into the file /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.plg (see below).

<!--

The 'install' script.

-->

<FILE Run="/bin/bash">

<INLINE>

rm -r /tmp/plugins/&name;-&version; 2>/dev/null

tar -xf /boot/config/plugins/&name;/&name;-&version;.tar.gz -C /tmp/plugins

mv /tmp/plugins/&name;-&version;/* /usr/local/emhttp 2>/dev/null

for Plugin in /tmp/plugins/&name;-&version;/plugins/* ; do

rm -r /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/$(basename $Plugin) 2>/dev/null

mv $Plugin /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/$(basename $Plugin)

done

rm -r /tmp/plugins/&name;-&version;

find /boot/config/plugins/&name; -type f -iname "*.tar.gz" ! -iname "&name;-&version;.tar.gz" -delete

# Make executable (workaround)

chmod +x /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/monitor

chmod +x /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/plugincheck

# Create symlinks (workaround)

ln -sf /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/monitor /usr/local/sbin/monitor

ln -sf /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/plugincheck /usr/local/sbin/plugincheck

# Create cron entries (workaround)

cron=/tmp/cron.tmp

crontab -l|grep -v '# System monitoring'|grep -v '/usr/local/sbin/monitor'|grep -v '# Plugin version check'|grep -v '/usr/local/sbin/plugincheck'|grep -v '# Scheduled Parity Check'|grep -v '/root/mdcmd check' >$cron

# monitor and plugin check

echo '# System monitoring - check every minute' >>$cron

echo '*/1 * * * * /usr/local/sbin/monitor 1>/dev/null 2>&1' >>$cron

echo '# Plugin version check - run every 6 hours' >>$cron

echo '15 */6 * * * /usr/local/sbin/plugincheck 1>/dev/null 2>&1' >>$cron

# parity check

entry=$(grep -s '^cron=' /boot/config/plugins/dynamix/dynamix.cfg|cut -d'"' -f2)

if [[ -n "$entry" ]]; then

echo '# Scheduled Parity Check' >>$cron

echo "$entry"|cut -d"'" -f2 >>$cron

fi

crontab $cron

rm -f $cron

</INLINE>

</FILE>

Or alternatively you can download the attached PLG file and copy it to your flash (overwrite the existing file).

After putting the workaround in place, reboot your system.

Update: corrected the reference to the PLG file

dynamix.plg

With this webGui update only not all background processes are properly started yet, including the parity check.

I have created some workarounds which can be copied and pasted into the file /boot/config/dynamix/dynamix.plg (see below).

After putting the workaround in place, reboot your system.

Two things to clarify:

1. I read this as there is a bug with this GUI update dont upgrade yet

2. Why do we need to reboot? Rebooting is for the weak :P

I've attempted, several times, to fetch this update - it always returns:

/usr/local/sbin/plugin update dynamix.plg 2>&1
plugin: running: 'anonymous'
plugin: creating: /boot/config/plugins/dynamix/dynamix-2015.01.21.tar.gz - downloading from URL "https://github.com/limetech/dynamix/archive/2015.01.21.tar.gz"
plugin: wget: "https://github.com/limetech/dynamix/archive/2015.01.21.tar.gz" retval: 4