unRAID Server OS 6 Release Date, Live Twitter Chat, and Pro Key Giveaway!

jonp

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done.

The key thing is that new folks migrating to v6 and setting up Dockers for the first time won't encounter this at all, since they won't have made any of those mods that have to be removed first  :)

... and it was released early enough that you can have a 48-hr "burn-in" for the RC and still make the 15th release date  8) 8)

I'm going to make a fairly accurate estimate that 40+ man hours went into this in the last 24 hours, mainly by 2 guys.

Well done.

The key thing is that new folks migrating to v6 and setting up Dockers for the first time won't encounter this at all, since they won't have made any of those mods that have to be removed first  :)

... and it was released early enough that you can have a 48-hr "burn-in" for the RC and still make the 15th release date  8) 8)

I'm going to make a fairly accurate estimate that 40+ man hours went into this in the last 24 hours, mainly by 2 guys.

I'm not surprised.    Been there, done that ... although it's been a LOT of years ago.    But I've spent many a 100+ hour week in the final throes of a release.

Congrats to the team for getting this issue resolved in time that you can still make the advertised release date !!

Why twitter? Wouldn't IRC or possibly Reddit be a better (and easiest to track) medium?

Possibly a Jisti or hangout video session too? Not to say that these things need be exclusive to one another, why not do them all!?!?!

Hey everyone!  For those that aren't aware, earlier this week we announced live on Category 5 Technology TV that unRAID 6 will be released on Monday, June 15th.  In addition to releasing unRAID 6 to the world on Monday, we will also be hosting a live twitter chat session with all of you, during which you can ask us any questions you want!  The chat will start at 3PM Pacific Standard Time and will last for two hours.  And just when you thought it couldn't be any better, we're also giving away a free unRAID Server Pro Registration Key to the person with the best question!

To recap:

1 - unRAID Server OS 6 will be released on Monday, June 15th, 2015

2 - Live twitter chat will start at 3PM PST

3 - Follow us on twitter: @limetechnology

4 - Tweet your question with hashtag #unraid6released to enter for a chance to win a free Pro key!

A few updates

• If you want to know what 3PM PST is in your time zone, BRiT put an event time announcer together for us.
  • To clarify, in order for an entry to win the Pro key to be considered valid, you must follow us on twitter and your question must be tweeted between 3PM and 5PM PST on Monday, June 15th.
  • Tweets sent before or after the announcement time frame will not be considered.

I think LimeTech should increase their social media presence in general. I don't know if there is a Facebook site as I don't really use it, but I do think an Unraid subreddit is a good idea and I've suggested a IRC Q & A session with the devs.  Think it would help "connect" to the consumer base in addition to the input the devs put in on the forum.

For instance I'd love to hear from Tom what inspired him to create Unraid and how it evolved  in the early days, possibly with some screenshots of something!

I really really think that Unraid has come of age with version 6, and time to generate as much fuss as possible!

As a consumer, Unraid has become what I have wanted for a long time, a true all in one box home NAS solution, hardware agnostic, parity, ability to pull drives and read data out of the array, dockers, VMs, now an impressive notification system that not a lot has been mentioned about. I love the pushbullet functionality. And also the ability to tinker under the bonnet, (hood for my brothers across the Atlantic) enabling users to create plugins for other users.  Like the DVB functionality, Tom hadn't even known what people have been able to do with his baby.....

Possibilities are endless...

I think LimeTech should increase their social media presence in general. I don't know if there is a Facebook site as I don't really use it, but I do think an Unraid subreddit is a good idea and I've suggested a IRC Q & A session with the devs.  Think it would help "connect" to the consumer base in addition to the input the devs put in on the forum.

For instance I'd love to hear from Tom what inspired him to create Unraid and how it evolved  in the early days, possibly with some screenshots of something!

I really really think that Unraid has come of age with version 6, and time to generate as much fuss as possible!

As a consumer, Unraid has become what I have wanted for a long time, a true all in one box home NAS solution, hardware agnostic, parity, ability to pull drives and read data out of the array, dockers, VMs, now an impressive notification system that not a lot has been mentioned about. I love the pushbullet functionality. And also the ability to tinker under the bonnet, (hood for my brothers across the Atlantic) enabling users to create plugins for other users.  Like the DVB functionality, Tom hadn't even known what people have been able to do with his baby.....

Possibilities are endless...

they did have an irc session once before on their channel.

Why twitter? Wouldn't IRC or possibly Reddit be a better (and easiest to track) medium?

Possibly a Jisti or hangout video session too? Not to say that these things need be exclusive to one another, why not do them all!?!?!

Hey everyone!  For those that aren't aware, earlier this week we announced live on Category 5 Technology TV that unRAID 6 will be released on Monday, June 15th.  In addition to releasing unRAID 6 to the world on Monday, we will also be hosting a live twitter chat session with all of you, during which you can ask us any questions you want!  The chat will start at 3PM Pacific Standard Time and will last for two hours.  And just when you thought it couldn't be any better, we're also giving away a free unRAID Server Pro Registration Key to the person with the best question!

To recap:

4 - Tweet your question with hashtag #unraid6released to enter for a chance to win a free Pro key!

A few updates

• If you want to know what 3PM PST is in your time zone, BRiT put an event time announcer together for us.
  • To clarify, in order for an entry to win the Pro key to be considered valid, you must follow us on twitter and your question must be tweeted between 3PM and 5PM PST on Monday, June 15th.
  • Tweets sent before or after the announcement time frame will not be considered.

So we actually thought about that after we finished squashing that last docker bug. The challenge I think we will have tomorrow is responding to questions in 140 characters or less. Might change this up.

To recap:

A few updates

So we actually thought about that after we finished squashing that last docker bug. The challenge I think we will have tomorrow is responding to questions in 140 characters or less. Might change this up.

txt spk ftw

A clear exception which SHOULD stop a release would be any issue that impacts data integrity ... but that's not the case with the Docker issue.

Perhaps it's not a 'show-stopper', but after having to edit my containers for a fifth time today (five power cuts, and still seven hours to go to midnight)), it is very frustrating.

I'm %100 behind Lime-Technology and their products and have been for a while. I don't want to sound like a party pooper but why such a rush to release a final? Is the motivation for financial benefit or competition coming up? I only ask out of %100 curiosity since I remember the 4.0 days and getting just an update took months and months. What's going on back there behind the green curtain? :)

Anyway, congrats and I look forward to being an unRaid member for years to come!

I recommend go for a Skype Presentation. Users can connect and ask questions via chat or audio.

Is Lime-Tech advertising anywhere or will this product mainly stay with its core users and the forums? We would all like to see new meat, which would even motivate LT even more maybe but if no one is aware of the product can't get the new users. Maybe LT has a sales person now?

... but why such a rush to release a final?

[spit cough choke] You must be new here [looks at post count] ... umm i guess not  :o Seriously i know you said you've lost track but you have no idea just how funny that sounds.

I assure you this is NOT a "rush" to go final. This has been a long hard methodical slog to a well deserved milestone for all involved.

[spit cough choke] You must be new hear [looks at post count] ... umm i guess not  :o Seriously i know you said you've lost track but you have no idea just how funny that sounds.

I assure you this is NOT a "rush" to go final. This has been a long hard methodical slog to a well deserved milestone for all involved.

I don't see this as a rush either, especially not when it's 259 days beyond the original time target of September 30, 2014.

The product, unRAID Server OS, is definitely ready for a stable release for series 6.

[spit cough choke] You must be new hear [looks at post count] ... umm i guess not  :o Seriously i know you said you've lost track but you have no idea just how funny that sounds.

I don't see this as a rush either, especially not when it's 259 days beyond the original time target of September 30, 2014.

The product, unRAID Server OS, is definitely ready for a stable release for series 6.

It seems like it was just last year LT was polling how many people would use 64bit. That was pre-cursor to prepping for V6 I would imagine. I guess time really does go by fast. I probably jumped in with both feet while they were just at the end of beta, so in my perspective it didn't seem like a long wait. Now all LT has to do is send us some stickers for every PRO key we buy.

To recap:

A few updates

is there going to be captured some where for later reading?

A clear exception which SHOULD stop a release would be any issue that impacts data integrity ... but that's not the case with the Docker issue.

Perhaps it's not a 'show-stopper', but after having to edit my containers for a fifth time today (five power cuts, and still seven hours to go to midnight)), it is very frustrating.

I'm %100 behind Lime-Technology and their products and have been for a while. I don't want to sound like a party pooper but why such a rush to release a final? Is the motivation for financial benefit or competition coming up? I only ask out of %100 curiosity since I remember the 4.0 days and getting just an update took months and months. What's going on back there behind the green curtain? :)

Anyway, congrats and I look forward to being an unRaid member for years to come!

I recommend go for a Skype Presentation. Users can connect and ask questions via chat or audio.

Is Lime-Tech advertising anywhere or will this product mainly stay with its core users and the forums? We would all like to see new meat, which would even motivate LT even more maybe but if no one is aware of the product can't get the new users. Maybe LT has a sales person now?

Heh heh i know what you mean. I feel the same way as you, but i don't mind the change at all ;) i think it's just LT maturing as a developer and company.

To be honest I think they've nailed it, been using V6 since beta 12 I think and had a couple of niggles along the way, but the only real show stopper that would have stopped me from upgrading was the DNS issue, which once identified and further investigated was quashed within two days.  LimeTech can't really win with that argument, too slow a development cycle and we all moan, too quick, and I use the word quick in a somewhat tongue in cheek fashion as I don't think the V6 release has been especially quick and people worry it won't be stable.

Checking out the RC6a thread hasn't revealed any problems, they've now had a few releases on kernel 4.04 rather than the constantly upgrading kernel during betas which occasionally may (hypothesis here) have caused an issue or two. 

I will be upgrading as soon as released because I've gone along with the cycle testing along the way, and am confident in the product.

I'm confident because LT has earned that confidence by always releasing good solid stable software, and to be frank, I'm so dependent on the features of V6.

I get why people wait for stable releases but I think participating in the beta RC cycle is useful, if I'd found any show stopping issues I could have raised them with LT and they would have fixed.  If you update at final release the your particular hardware combo is completely untested with the whole V6 setup.