[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

1 minute ago, Ascii227 said:

No but this is all good troubleshooting info. Are you using the '--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri' switch in the extra parameters field for the docker?

--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri is in Extra Parameters.  I know some say they needed to add it as a Device container mapping.  I have always had it in Extra Parameters and it has never failed as far as I know.  I am also transcoding in RAM (/tmp)

5 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri is in Extra Parameters.  I know some say they needed to add it as a Device container mapping.  I have always had it in Extra Parameters and it has never failed as far as I know.  I am also transcoding in RAM (/tmp)

It doesn't matter if it's in extra parameter or added as a device in the template. The command is the same in the end.

2 minutes ago, saarg said:

It doesn't matter if it's in extra parameter or added as a device in the template. The command is the same in the end.

Oh, I agree, both add the same info in the same way to the run command.  However, there are other posts insisting it did not work in Extra Parameters but did as a Device, so I threw that in there. 

Likely it was something else that happened that caused it to function again and it was coincidental that it happened after making the change.  Perhaps just the act of restarting the docker container did it.  I have seen that kick start things in the past.

3 minutes ago, saarg said:

Thanks, thats good to know. Saves me trying it round both ways all the time.

2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Perhaps just the act of restarting the docker container did it.  I have seen that kick start things in the past.

I think my problem may go deeper than this. Unchecking the 'Use hardware acceleration' box in the Plex server settings, and I still get exactly the same error. Other peopel are seeing sporadic errors on certain files or no issues at all, whilst I cannot play anything from my library regardless of the filetype or transcoding method.

I just cant see why this would be such a stark difference between the two docker versions for me. PMS 1.14.1 plays everything no problem, whereas version 1.15 plays nothing at all.

As nobody else seems to be sharing my symptoms, could anybody point to a place in the logs where I might be able to start diagnosing this? Im happy to do the digging and troubleshoting myself, but plex has such a plethora of log files its difficult to know where to begin or what to look for!

Thanks very much.

7 hours ago, Ascii227 said:

I think my problem may go deeper than this. Unchecking the 'Use hardware acceleration' box in the Plex server settings, and I still get exactly the same error. Other peopel are seeing sporadic errors on certain files or no issues at all, whilst I cannot play anything from my library regardless of the filetype or transcoding method.

As I mentioned in a prior post, I also had issues at first after upgrading to 1.15.0.659.

Here, in order, is everything I have done to get back to a point of being able to play all media (at least everything I have tried) through all Plex clients.

1 - All versions of Plex up to and including 1.14.1.5488 played all media without issue other than a few problem here and here that were easily solved.  I would occasionally have problem with the Plex Windows 10 app.

2 - Upgraded to latest Plex Media Server container from LSIO which contained PMS 1.15.0.659 - All recorded TV shows and most .mkv files would not play in any Plex client.

3 - Downgraded to PMS 1.14.1.5488 and almost all media again was playable in all clients except the Windows 10 app.

4 - After a couple of days, the same issues that I experienced with PMS 1.15.0.659 started happening on 1.14.1.5488

5 - Upgraded again to PMS 1.15.0.659 and most media again played properly, but, again, nothing played on Plex Windows 10 app and there were still issues with some (but not all) .mkv files

6 - I briefly thought about restoring the Plex db from a backup, but, I never did so.

7 - I deleted the Codecs folder from appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server.  As a codec is needed to play a file it is downloaded again by PMS.  It looks like most of the codecs I had before have been downloaded again.

8 - Solved the Plex Windows 10 app problem by removing it completely and installing the Plex Media Player for Windows.  This works and plays everything and is a better client than the WIndows 10 app.

9 - Currently running Plex 1.15.0.659 with hardware transcoding and a mixture of .mp4 and .mkv files (movies) and .ts files (recorded TV shows).  All I have tried to play so far have played, and transcoded if necessary, on all clients.

Interestingly, even when no media would play locally, no one who streams remotely from my server was having issues.  I saw a couple of them streaming when nothing would play on my devices.  They said they had not seen any issues.

UPDATE:  Many reported Plex transcoder crashes with PMS 1.15.0.659 appear to be with SRT subtitles enabled.  I have not tried playing anything with subtitles.  I'll have to try that and add the results to this report.

Edited by Hoopster

I see issues normally haooen when you update on your own. Honestly I wait for the container to get updated and when it restarts then it automatically updates. Never a hiccup. Try doing a new install to test, that way you will be able to confirm if it's because of the version.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Interestingly, even when no media would play locally, no one who streams remotely from my server was having issues.  I saw a couple of them streaming when nothing would play on my devices.  They said they had not seen any issues.

UPDATE:  Many reported Plex transcoder crashes with PMS 1.15.0.659 appear to be with SRT subtitles enabled.  I have not tried playing anything with subtitles.  I'll have to try that and add the results to this report.

Thanks very much for such a comprehensive list of steps!

A couple of differences in my usage though. I never use subtitles and only ever use the web client, never any apps or players. Also I am unable to p[lay anything both locally and remotely.

The only thing I can see to try is to delete my codecs folder and see if plex redownloads the correct ones. I will give this a go and report back.

Thanks again.

16 hours ago, Hoopster said:

7 - I deleted the Codecs folder from appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server.  As a codec is needed to play a file it is downloaded again by PMS.  It looks like most of the codecs I had before have been downloaded again.

I deleted my codec folder from the location you specified then watched as plex redownloaded the required codecs for every file I pressed play on, but still failed to play them all with the same error as before.

15 hours ago, gacpac said:

Try doing a new install to test, that way you will be able to confirm if it's because of the version.

I took gacpacs advice as it seems the last thing I can possibly do. So I deleted the docker and image, and reinstalled from the community apps plugin. Remapped and scanned all my library files. After all that I get exactly the same results, nothing plays with a transcoder crash error.

Changing the docker tag back to 168 (PMS 1.14.1) and restarting the docker makes everything play fine again. Im hoping this at least rules out anything to do with my unraid setup.

I did manage to find an mp4 file in my library which will direct play just fine in latest/1.15, but as soon as I try to convert or transcode it I get the same error.

I guess I will just sit on tag 168 forever, its not causing me any issues to stay there so as gacpac inferred - if its not broke dont fix it!

EDIT: I noticed from poking in the codec folder that the two versions of plex (1.14.1 and 1.15.0) Seem to be keeping their codecs in differently named folders. Could be nothing, but could mean something to someone:

1.15.0 stores them in codecs/a22632d-2034-linux-x86_64

1.14.1 stores them in codecs/531e313-1328-linux-ubuntu-x86_64

Edited by Ascii227
I took gacpacs advice as it seems the last thing I can possibly do. So I deleted the docker and image, and reinstalled from the community apps plugin. Remapped and scanned all my library files. After all that I get exactly the same results, nothing plays with a transcoder crash error.

Changing the docker tag back to 168 (PMS 1.14.1) and restarting the docker makes everything play fine again. Im hoping this at least rules out anything to do with my unraid setup.

I did manage to find an mp4 file in my library which will direct play just fine in latest/1.15, but as soon as I try to convert or transcode it I get the same error.

I guess I will just sit on tag 168 forever, its not causing me any issues to stay there so as gacpac inferred - if its not broke dont fix it!

EDIT: I noticed from poking in the codec folder that the two versions of plex (1.14.1 and 1.15.0) Seem to be keeping their codecs in differently named folders. Could be nothing, but could mean something to someone:

1.15.0 stores them in codecs/a22632d-2034-linux-x86_64
1.14.1 stores them in codecs/531e313-1328-linux-ubuntu-x86_64
I figured it was going to be the version. And honestly. I have no idea where you got that version. Because in my Plex it says I'm using the latest. Also from the Plex website looking for the latest and didn't find version 1.15

And honestly I don't care. I don't see a difference between this version and the one from previous months so. It ain't broken, I ain't fixing it.

It happens the same for Windows to me. I like my stable updates and I don't like jumping into new releases without knowing how to go back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, gacpac said:

I figured it was going to be the version. And honestly. I have no idea where you got that version. Because in my Plex it says I'm using the latest. Also from the Plex website looking for the latest and didn't find version 1.15

No offence, but I really dont think this is much help. Its not like I am manually trying to upgrade to some bleeding edge beta version. As soon as I fire up the standard plex docker the logs show 'Attempting to upgrade to 1.15' and then all the trouble begins. Only by reverting to an old version of the docker am I able to get anything working.

5 hours ago, gacpac said:

I like my stable updates and I don't like jumping into new releases without knowing how to go back.

Me too, which is why I am using all the default settings on the docker and just letting it do its thing. It is attempting the upgrading to 1.15 on its own and causing me to not be able to watch anything.

Just for info, here is the plex docker log from the first time I install and run it directly from the app store. As you can see, I am doing nothing. The docker is doing everything itself the first time it starts up from a fresh install.

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Atempting to upgrade to: 1.15.0.659-9311f93fd
2019-02-20 07:46:24 URL:https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.15.0.659-9311f93fd/debian/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-9311f93fd_amd64.deb [81547030/81547030] -> "/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-9311f93fd_amd64.deb" [1]
2019-02-20 07:46:24 URL:https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.15.0.659-9311f93fd/debian/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-9311f93fd_amd64.deb [81547030/81547030] -> "/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-9311f93fd_amd64.deb" [1]
(Reading database ... 10486 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver_1.15.0.659-9311f93fd_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.15.0.659-9311f93fd) over (1.14.1.5488-cc260c476) ...
Setting up plexmediaserver (1.15.0.659-9311f93fd) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init/plexmediaserver.conf ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.

Edited by Ascii227
4 hours ago, Ascii227 said:

No offence, but I really dont think this is much help. Its not like I am manually trying to upgrade to some bleeding edge beta version. As soon as I fire up the standard plex docker the logs show 'Attempting to upgrade to 1.15' and then all the trouble begins. Only by reverting to an old version of the docker am I able to get anything working.

Me too, which is why I am using all the default settings on the docker and just letting it do its thing. It is attempting the upgrading to 1.15 on its own and causing me to not be able to watch anything.

Just for info, here is the plex docker log from the first time I install and run it directly from the app store. As you can see, I am doing nothing. The docker is doing everything itself the first time it starts up from a fresh install.

_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Atempting to upgrade to: 1.15.0.659-9311f93fd
Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.15.0.659-9311f93fd) over (1.14.1.5488-cc260c476) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init/plexmediaserver.conf ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.

If you set the version parameter to public instead of latest, it will stay on 1.14 which is the latest public release. It's in the readme

10 minutes ago, aptalca said:

If you set the version parameter to public instead of latest, it will stay on 1.14 which is the latest public release. It's in the readme 

Fair enough. When I created the docker from the template in community apps the tag field was prefilled with latest, so I assumed that was default and I was doing the right thing by leaving it like that.

I have just been through the linuxserver.io docker image info in the unraid community apps plugin and there is no mention of tags whatsoever.

The only reference I can find is in the template overview where it states 'VERSION Set to either latest,public or a specific version e.g. "1.2.7.2987-1bef33a"' Nothing to implicate that latest is a beta build and public should be used for stability.

For users like me who are just installing the Docker straight through community apps there is little in the way of explanations as to what the differnt tags mean. In fact in all my weeks posting in the forums this is first I have ever heard of the public tag.

I have now changed the tag in my docker to public and all is well. Apologies for polluting this issue with misunderstanding the tag system.

Good morning!

I previously had another Unraid Plex docker installed. It crashed and just removed itself from my server.  I now have the linuxserver Plex.  How do I map Media, transcode in /tmp, and properly setup the docker.  My precious MetaData has crossed over but get this error when I try to play anything. I added the /media and /config lines. I have no idea if I did that correctly. I suspect not.

Plex error01.PNG

Plex incorrect setup.PNG

Plex003.PNG

Edited by djhunter67
2 minutes ago, djhunter67 said:

I previously had another Unraid Plex docker installed. It crashed and just removed itself from my server. 

Not sure what you mean here since there isn't any way it would remove itself whether it crashed or not.

3 minutes ago, djhunter67 said:

My precious MetaData has crossed over

The error you are getting makes me think that your precious metadata isn't correct. In addition to the artwork, for example, the metadata tells plex where to find the files. And it isn't finding them. According to the mappings in your screenshot, this docker will see files from the host path /mnt/user/Media at the container path /media. Unless your previous docker and its metadata had that exact same mapping then this plex will not find the files.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

You also seem to have 2 different mappings for config. Do you understand docker volume mapping?

It would appear not so much.  I just installed this docker and it looked like this... I added the /media and /config myself.  I realize the /config was redundant.  I. now, am trying to map the media to the docker. How is this done?  I am under the impression I mapped the Media incorrectly. How is this done?

Plex004.PNG

Edited by djhunter67
more information added
Just now, trurl said:

The same way you had it in that other docker that created your metadata.

The other docker had a line already built in to map the Media, transcode, and config paths. This docker does not already have those line.  I, apparently, have to add these manually. I am asking: How do I properly add the lines for media and transcoding?

4 minutes ago, djhunter67 said:

Is this accurate?

Plex006.PNG

For any in my predicament. This is exactly how it's done.  Once you fill this out accordingly, you have to go back to the Plex server and remap the library locations.  The Container Path line is exactly what the docker GUI sees and allows you to navigate to in order to put the correct library path.