Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares

dlandon

• 1 month later...

I'm on 6.11.5. I was trying to empty out the Recycle Bin for some shares and found that somehow there were lots of nested .Recycle.Bin folders within the first level .Recycle.Bin folder.

For example, I get

\\TOWER\Movies\.Recycle.Bin\.Recycle.Bin\.Recycle.Bin\.Recycle.Bin\.Recycle.Bin\.Recycle.Bin\.Recycle.Bin\.Recycle.Bin\

I wasn't sure if clicking on each .Recycle.Bin folder created another nested one, so I stopped. If I try deleting the folder, Windows says items are being deleted (perhaps files within the folder), but I can't delete the nested folder - or any of the nested .Recycle.Bin sub-folders. I get a Windows error message saying "cannot find the path specified".

But that's when I look on my Win10 PC. When I go to the Web GUI and look at the Movies share, I have only one nested .Recycle.Bin folder. If I click on the blue .Recycle.Bin text, I just get the same page.

1380711475_Recyclebin.thumb.jpg.4ca36a00c2bfc73e3ea84294733a174b.jpg

I haven't tried deleting that nested folder yet, in case there's something I might inadvertently damage.

Don't know if it's happening on every share where Recycle Bin is applied, but I see the nested folders on all shares that I've looked at so far.

Any idea what happened and how I can fix this?

tower-diagnostics-20230924-1746.zip

2 hours ago, sonofdbn said:

Don't know if it's happening on every share where Recycle Bin is applied, but I see the nested folders on all shares that I've looked at so far.

I've seen this before, but haven't seen it lately.  I could never figure out what made it happen.  I suspect there was a version of Samba that had a bug that created the nested .Recycle.Bin folder.

2 hours ago, sonofdbn said:

I haven't tried deleting that nested folder yet, in case there's something I might inadvertently damage.

You can delete the nested .Recycle.Bin folder.

On 9/24/2023 at 8:25 PM, dlandon said:

I've seen this before, but haven't seen it lately.  I could never figure out what made it happen.  I suspect there was a version of Samba that had a bug that created the nested .Recycle.Bin folder.

You can delete the nested .Recycle.Bin folder.

Thanks; deleting the nested folder has solved the problem. (Just to add a data point: some shares with the Recycle Bin have these nested folders, others don't.)

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Revan335 said:

Can you fix the Sorting?

Sorting works for me.  DId you click on the 'Trash Size' on the header?

2 hours ago, Revan335 said:

Is NFS working or add NFS Support?

Can't.  The recycle bin is a Samba feature only.  It does not work for NFS.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Can't.  The recycle bin is a Samba feature only.  It does not work for NFS.

Very Sad! I hope, NFS implemented this in the future.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Sorting works for me.  DId you click on the 'Trash Size' on the header?

Yes, 1,45 GB must the first or the last Entry. He is bigger than 704 MB.

Screenshot_20240102-002746_Firefox.thumb.png.d3c01ed90004e20a4f5cd78095d220f1.pngScreenshot_20240102-002730_Firefox.thumb.png.97634906dc543b6cecceee6cad930958.png

Is it expected when using this plugin that a recursive link will be created inside each share's .Recycle.Bin? For instance:

root@vault:/mnt/user/tv/.Recycle.Bin# ls -al
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 me users  98 Jan  7 23:46 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody  users 130 Sep  7 23:10 ../
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root    root   25 Apr 13  2023 .Recycle.Bin -> /mnt/user/tv/.Recycle.Bin/

This means it can be traversed infinitely, ie:

root@vault:/mnt/user/tv/.Recycle.Bin# cd .Recycle.Bin/.Recycle.Bin/.Recycle.Bin/.Recycle.Bin/.Recycle.Bin
root@vault:/mnt/user/tv/.Recycle.Bin/.Recycle.Bin/.Recycle.Bin/.Recycle.Bin/.Recycle.Bin/.Recycle.Bin#

This causes a problem when crawling directory contents via some scripts and utilities I use.

4 hours ago, fracturetrey said:

This causes a problem when crawling directory contents via some scripts and utilities I use.

I've seen this in the past myself.  I believe it was an older version of Samba that had a bug.  You can delete those recurring folders.  Update Unraid if you are on an older version.

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, aim60 said:

Minor cosmetic issue.

If you go to the Recycle Bin settings page and sort the shares by Trash Size, the list is sorted by the number of (GB, MB), ignoring the fact that GBs are  larger than MBs.490921609_Screenshot2024-01-23at10_35_39AM.thumb.png.6b9c2e9aa83d849fb0272315d683f54f.png

It's an alphanumeric sort, not a numeric sort.  The display would have to be all numeric to sort in true size.  That would not be very human readable.  Not much I can do unless I can find a work around.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Marc_G2 said:
'Aux SSD/Priority Share/Folder1', 'Aux SSD/Priority Share/Folder2'

You have several issues with this line:

• Don't use "'".
  • Don't use ', '.  Only commas to separate the excludes.  No spaces.
  • You can only specify one folder level.  You cannot specify two folder levels deep.  It is share/folder, not share/folder/folder.

Hi dlandon,

I am running Unraid 6.11.1, and the Recyclin Bin plugin stopped working months ago, but I was not able to figure out why. I suspect I may have screwed something up when setting up rootshare

rootshare-sc.png

I've taken the following steps:
- Empty all trash
- Reinstalled the plugin
- Restarted the server

- Test delete files and no luck.

The deleted files are not being logged, and the /Media/.Recycle.Bin folder remains empty. 

Recyclin-bin-sc.png

I expect deleted files to be logged and moved to the .Recycle.Bin folder upon deletion.

The deleted files log and SMB Share are both empty. I've also attached the system diagnostic.zip file for further analysis.

un-RAID-Recycle-Bin.jpg

Thank you in advance for your assistance. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

unraid-diagnostics-20240210-2255.zip

Edited by belupig
Add possible reason on messing plugin up when setting up rootshare
6 hours ago, belupig said:

The deleted files log and SMB Share are both empty. I've also attached the system diagnostic.zip file for further analysis.

I don't see anything in the diagnostics.  You do realize that the recycle bin only works on SMB shares?

The diagnostics in 6.11 don't have some features that would help me research your issue.  You should update your plugins and Unraid for further assistance.

7 hours ago, dlandon said:

I don't see anything in the diagnostics.  You do realize that the recycle bin only works on SMB shares?

The diagnostics in 6.11 don't have some features that would help me research your issue.  You should update your plugins and Unraid for further assistance.

I  updated to 6.12.6 and update any outdated plugins. Please see the new diagnostics attached.

My media user shares have SMB export enabled, but under the Recyclin bin settings, I don't the SMB share is empty. I assume this is what's causing issues? Thank you.

SMB-security-sc.png

Usershares-SMBsc.png

un-RAID-Recycle-Bin2.jpg

unraid-diagnostics-20240211-1343.zip