Wake on Lan for Virtual Machines for 6.1+

82 posts in this topic Last Reply

Found slackbuilds for most of those:

pbr six enum34 pycparser cffi idna ipaddress cryptography

PyYAML pyperclip pyparsing wcwidth stevedore PrettyTable

unicodecsv pyzmq

Didn't see them for these:

asn1crypto pyghmi contextlib2 cmd2 cliff

python-six and python-idna are actually in official repos.

I decided to use a python virtual environment and load everything into one package. Created multiple packages based on unraid version/libvirt version. I also add a Virtual BMC service to the VM settings page. I'll add more Virtual BMC settings to the WebGUI when I have time. E.g. vm's and port settings.  Also I wondering if you knew where Virtual BMC stored the vm/ports settings, so they can be restored on boot.

Edit: Nm I figured out where the settings are stored. They are in the user home directory. So /root/.vbmc

Awesome work.  Thank you.  I'm testing it out now.

One note so far.  The verbose on the uninstall logging to the webpage makes it take a really long time delete all the files in the virtual environment 

Just been trying to get this to work with no success until i realised my VLANS were causing the issue.

I worked around it by overriding the code in the /etc/rc.d/rc.libvirtwol file.

i replaced the variable $BRNAME directly with the hard coded value br0.1 (for br0 vlan 1) is it possible to get some sort of option for this added to the plugin? 

On 1/11/2019 at 1:45 PM, Fma965 said:

Just been trying to get this to work with no success until i realised my VLANS were causing the issue.

i replaced the variable $BRNAME directly with the hard coded value br0.1 (for br0 vlan 1) is it possible to get some sort of option for this added to the plugin? 

Is your Default network bridge not set to bro.1? That is what the variable $BRNAME is.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:45 PM, Fma965 said:

I have VMs on both br0 and br0.40 VLAN (default) and the script will not start w/ the variable $BRNAME or if br0.40 is hard coded.  If I hard code br0, the service reports as started but I cannot seem to start any VMs via WoL

Any advice?

Also, how does one access VBMC?

EDIT:
I am running 6.6.6

Edited by therapist

On 1/30/2019 at 1:07 PM, therapist said:

I have VMs on both br0 and br0.40 VLAN (default) and the script will not start w/ the variable $BRNAME or if br0.40 is hard coded.  If I hard code br0, the service reports as started but I cannot seem to start any VMs via WoL

Any advice?

Also, how does one access VBMC?

EDIT:
I am running 6.6.6

It not necessary to hard code anything. Everything works fine for me as is. I have the Default vm bridge set to br0.80. I doesn't really matter what bridge the VMs are on. The default bridge is what matters as it is the interface the script will be listening on. It will be looking for any magic packet. It will then compare the magic packet mac to all the vm macs and start a matching vm. Wol packets have to be broadcast on the same network. Are you setting your Default vm bridge to br0.40 in the Unraid webgui? Are you sending the wol from the br0.40 network? I can send etherwake -i br0.40 vmmacaddress from the server and the vm starts up. The VBMC is command line only for now. You'll have to google how to use it. But basically you assign vms to different ports and then you use ipmi commands/software to send ipmi commands to server.ip:vmport#. You'll need something like my cmdline plugin to save and restore your /root directory on server restart also. All the VBMC settings are saved in /root/.vbmc

On 12/30/2018 at 11:16 PM, Coolsaber57 said:

What did you end up needing to do in your network environment?

Hey, sorry for the delay. The problem had to do with network access in a virtual machine container -- it wasn't so much the network itself as the container's access to the network.