Plex Media Server Installation Issue

Archivist

Hello all, I'm having a duice of a time trying to install Plex Media Server and have gone through the noobie guide and different Docker Repositories (LimeTech, gfjardim's, Squid, etc).  I can get to the installation of Plex, but after creating a path to the "data" I get the following:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="PlexMediaServer" --net="host" --privileged="true" -e TZ="America/Denver" -v "/mnt/user/Apple/MK4-MKV Movies/":"/media":rw -v "/mnt/user/Apple/MK4-MKV Movies/Bond Series/":"/media":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver":"/config":rw limetech/plex

Error response from daemon: Duplicate bind mount /media

The command failed.

Sometimes, the data seems to be added, but then I get the Command Failed problem.

I've reloaded Plex on multiple occasions after removing all prior installs (tis a PITA) but with the same results even following examples online and via Youtube.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue?

Dave

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got /media mapped twice

Thanks for the response Squid, I confess I don't quite understand.  I "loaded" the Bond Series as a trial and then tried to add all of the rest of the MK4-MKV movies.  Do I need to remove the Bond Series from the remainder??

I also have over 100 *.vob Movies in another Directory.  How do I add them in if I get this kind of error.

Dave

I mount my /media to /mnt/user and then add the indv folders that contain my movies in plex.  You can specify multi folders in the plex ui settings

Thanks for the reply and your thought. I've been trying to make this work for several weeks and I finally got the Bond Series loaded complete with cover art.  But nothing else will load and now my "Docker" Plex is gone, so after attempting to reinstall and load up my movies I get this:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="PlexMediaServer" --net="host" --privileged="true" -e TZ="America/Denver" -v "/mnt/user/Movies/":"movies":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver":"/config":rw limetech/plex

invalid value "/mnt/user/Movies/:movies:rw" for flag -v: movies:rw is not an absolute path

See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

The command failed.

Help, I can aggregate all of my movies (apple format - m4v/mkv and vob under a single Share of Media so that they can be split into various formats within Plex, but I can't seem to get past the problem above.

Dave

This is mine, but I use linuxserver version and not limetechs.......

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="plex" --net="host" -e PUID="99" -e PGID="100" -e VERSION="plexpass" -e TZ="America/Denver" 
-v "/mnt/appdisk/Plex/":"/config":rw -v "/mnt/user/":"/media":rw -v "/mnt/appdisk/Plex/tmp/":"/transcode":rw linuxserver/plex

It looks like you need /movies instead of movies in your mapping

Myk

This is mine, but I use linuxserver version and not limetechs.......

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="plex" --net="host" -e PUID="99" -e PGID="100" -e VERSION="plexpass" -e TZ="America/Denver" 
-v "/mnt/appdisk/Plex/":"/config":rw -v "/mnt/user/":"/media":rw -v "/mnt/appdisk/Plex/tmp/":"/transcode":rw linuxserver/plex

It looks like you need /movies instead of movies in your mapping

Myk

The problem is that (as the error states) one of your container volumes is movies.  They all have to be absolute paths.  Ie: /movies

Thank you both for your response.  I was able to go back to my original listing and remove "Bond Series" then replace that with "M4V-MKV" and it seemed to bring all of those across, though for some reason, sees the Bond Series movies x2 (2 inside of the .jpg icon).

As for the Movies (the remainder of my compilation), they are TS_VOB files similar to the /mnt/user/Apple/M4V-MKV but a "share" (i.e Apple) thus /mnt/user/"Movies" (share) setup from years ago.  I can consolidate both types of data under one "new" share and then change the Plex data to that if necessary, but am not sure if Plex can read/stream *.Vob files or if I can merely add another Media type folder - media1.

I've tried the latter process and it seemed to add the "movies" Share list, but now Plex does not see Tower and/or permit any update(s) to my data.  My Plex (w/o PlexPass) does have access to my son's Movie list and yesterday after playing with all of the M4V-MKV I had both his and mine available.

Seems a bit more complicated to me than it should, but then I'm an O'l f...!

One last question, I've attempted (???) to install Plex properly and would hope that the data (ie icons/artwork/list) resides in a Cache disk vs on the UnRaid array.  My intent is to have it available and when called upon to play/stream a movie/music/Tv show/series etc. it would spin up the disk w/the info but not have the system running continuously.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions!

Dave

Update - Since attempting to add the VOB_TS sub-directories via a new path media2 /mnt/user/Movies I've not been able to access the Plex Server.  When I try to go to Plex, I get

Media server not found.

The server you're trying to access doesn't seem to exist.

even when I try 10.0.0.x:32400 but it does see my Son's Plex Server.

Interestingly, I still have an original Plex install running that lists my local films that I can access but no new attempts seem to work.

Thoughts, or help - anyone.

Regards,

Dave

Well this is a total puzzle? :o

I've now removed my Plex container & files several times and re-installed Plex from the valid lists.  If I select Needo's PlexMediaServer and install everything that once generated an operating Plex, it totally fails!  Using the Plex App download it states the Server is not found (though it sees my son's server).  Going to 10.0.0.55:32400/ it reads "XML does not appear to have any style info" plus all sorts of code.

I "guessed" that it might be my selection of Needo's PlexMediaServer and that somehow the container itself was missing some code.  So I just chose the LimeTech PlexMediaServer and reinstalled again.  Same problem with my "icon Plex App" but hello now Port 32400 on the Mac sees my Tower and my Plex Media.

Wow, problem solved - er, not so fast!  My Surface (same Network) using the App does not see my Tower but sees my son's.  Guess what it also does not see Port 32400 and gets the same XML failure as before.  To top that off when I looked at the Docker Coding for my Plex Server - it doesn't list LimeTech, it lists Needo AGAIN!

Sorry, guys but this one is above my knowledge to FIX!!!!  HELP

Dave

Start over by removing all plex dockers you may have installed and deleting the appdata you have for all plex dockers you may have tried. These dockers all work so there is no need to speculate that there is a problem with any of them. Pick one and get it working, it doesn't really matter which.

Do you have any other dockers working? Do you understand volume mapping?

Hi Trurl,

Wilco!  It did work once on the Mac, then subsequently has failed.  I will delete everything including appdata.  My intent is to install it to the Cache Drive (Pool) at least as I understand Plex for my list of Movies.  I've tried to get several answers re: whether Plex can read TS_VOB  or old DVD type files or whether it's only MPeg - M4V/MKV/MP2+.

Your ? regarding Volumes, may be very valid.  I could use clarification as I have separated my Movies into a Movies Share (TS_VOB files) and a Sub-Directory under my Share Apple/M4V-MKV/.  Please advise.

When I was trying to get Plex going initially, I wasn't using the Cache Drive so if it makes a difference as to the location of either the Config files or appdata etc., please let me know.  My removals thus far have been via the Docker Tab only.

I have loaded CrashPlan, but not yet tried to invoke it until some of my other issues are resolved.  Given all the problems from the past few months I also have my old Backup Server running w/o problems.

Thanks for the response, looking forward to your recommendations!

Dave

Plex will not do VOB, etc. See the Plex website for more about Plex.

I use Linuxserver's plex docker, but I used to use needo's and had no issues with my existing plex library when I switched.

If you haven't already, create an appdata share and set it to Use cache: Only. This is where you will store the "working data" of your applications, such as the Plex library. Note that the Plex library is not your media files, it is instead the data that plex maintains about your media files.

Do you have Community Applications installed? After choosing a plex docker, but before you actually push the button to add it, post a screenshot showing how you have configured it including the Volume Mappings, and we can take a look to see if you are on the right track.

Hi Trurl,

I've tried unsuccessfully to remove the Appdata share that initially was added to my Disk1 apparently as a share by the system and/or Docker (probably 1st Plex attempt).  It has somewhat over 3300 files and when attempted to delete yields an error code - 8072.

In order to even attempt the delete, I had to remove User Shares from the Global Setting and keep Disk Shares in order to even make that attempt.

Suggestions?

Dave

Hi Trurl,

Thanks for the tip.  I've gotten MC installed and attempted w/some success to delete the Appdata directory, but some files refuse deletion and despite reading and checking chMod commands, can't seem to change the status of the 1000's for .jpg etc. type files in order to totally delete all the sub-directories (???) and files.

Commands appreciated  :-\

Dave

Screen_Shot_2016-01-17_at_9_07.05_PM.png.471cc3b85905ddcbde07d115e8be35a6.png

Screen_Shot_2016-01-17_at_9_20.12_PM.png.537819b6e675faafde8abf858ae34f9c.png

Hi Trurl,

Permissions ? came from my Mac installation of MC not the Server.  I didn't understand that it was part of UnRaid, so was trying to delete appdata from the Mac didn't work  :-\!

Now that everything is essentially "zero" again, I can start over.  Before I get too far, what did you mean by "Community Applications"?  Do I pre-create an "Appdata" Share set to Cache only?

Dave

Hello Trurl,

I think I have everything you suggested short of creating the Plex Server as in your previous post.

Community Applications, Appdata in Cache only, see attached Plex with my proposed mapping (see attached).

Thanks to all for your extraordinary help & assistance, much appreciated!

Dave

Screen_Shot_2016-01-18_at_12_49.59_AM.png.c3aafb43bd49fe89705ff44c8209cba0.png

Hi Trurl,

No I have a Movies "share" but they are all TS_VOB files at the moment, plus a Music "share" all in root similar to Apple.

I can reorganize my files and probably will now that I know Plex won't work with my older DVD's that took a long time to "rip" and now must be converted again (grrr).  There doesn't happen to be a "Docker" that will automatically convert those files, is there ?  ::)

Assuming some reorganization/renaming, can't that be added to Plex in the future, or must I start over at that point?

Perhaps for those of us attempting to set-up UnRaid in the best possible way, a couple of suggested "model" structures might be useful.  I know that everyone has their own design (granted) but for efficiency and ease of use it might be valuable to share that information.

Dave

Hi MYK,

Fantastic, just what I need.  I was just looking at the Community Applications that Squid put together and am just BLOWN AWAY!  Almost too much to assimilate.

You referenced the "makemkv-rdp" docker, though I don't quite remember seeing that by name.  Can you give me a link.  I'd love to just "dump" my 100+ TS_VOB files into the system and convert them to MKV then put them into PLEX.

Thanks, Dave :)

Sorry to bother, just found it!