[Support] binhex - SABnzbdVPN

FYI - the PIA "openvpn-strong-nextgen" files stopped working for me today.  checked the logs.  then, reverted to the "openvpn-nextgen" linked by binhex in Q19 here, then followed Q22.  worked fine.  initially the "openvpn-nextgen" didn't work for me, but the "openvpn-strong-nextgen" did.  your mileage may vary.

Edited by DoItMyselfToo

Update: i just updated binhex-sabnzbdvpn to the latest, which broke my vpn connection.  got an error message saying to add "aes-256-gcm" to fallback.  so, despite the recommendation in Q22 to remove "data-ciphers-fallback aes-256-gcm," i added back "data-ciphers-fallback aes-256-gcm" to the ovpn file and was instantly able to login.  your milage may vary.

Edited by DoItMyselfToo
13 minutes ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

i added back "data-ciphers-fallback aes-256-gcm" to the ovpn file and was instantly able to login.  your milage may vary.

this will work, but not for all endpoints, so it depends what you connect to, the settings in Q22 seem (at least in my testing) to work with most (if not all) PIA endpoints.

16 minutes ago, binhex said:

this will work, but not for all endpoints, so it depends what you connect to, the settings in Q22 seem (at least in my testing) to work with most (if not all) PIA endpoints.

to be clear, i had the exact settings from Q22 in ovpn file working for Toronto.  then i updated today to the latest SAB which broke it.  i then monitored the sab logs and followed the recommendation.

Edited by DoItMyselfToo
37 minutes ago, binhex said:

i would of liked to of seen that log as i doubt it was related to the cipher, i would suspect some other transient issue

this is what i had (excepting line13); had a working SAB.

ovpn.jpeg.5526382b467aff8dc57e0e95b85078ed.jpeg

updated SAB.  received AUTH_FAILED and this below:

DEPRECATED OPTION: --cipher set to 'aes-256-gcm' but missing in --data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM). Future OpenVPN version will ignore --cipher for cipher negotiations. Add 'aes-256-gcm' to --data-ciphers or change --cipher 'aes-256-gcm' to --data-ciphers-fallback 'aes-256-gcm' to silence this warning.

so added line 13; instantly worked.

1 hour ago, takkkkkkk said:

is it just me or PIA has really slowed down? I used to get 30MB~50MB (I have 1Gb/s internet), now I'm getting 5MB/s~10MB/s

i'm seeing the same behavior.  i used to 40-50 megabytes per second in the evening/over night;  and during the day 15-25.  now during the day 6-12; evening/over night max 25.

Hey guys, I know everyone is struggling with PIA right now, but I have a different problem.

I just switched to SickGear, and I'm seeing the following message when it tries to run the SABtoSickGear.py automation file:

image.png.4b18d59fb206b95564e38d883531e40a.png

I have tried to console into the docker and use easy_install to install requests, but the problem exists.

Anyone have a solution?

On 11/12/2020 at 4:54 PM, takkkkkkk said:

is it just me or PIA has really slowed down? I used to get 30MB~50MB (I have 1Gb/s internet), now I'm getting 5MB/s~10MB/s

Yeah I dropped from around 40-50MB to 6-10MB......
I am on Spectrum as well. Pointed to PIA Texas servers tho.....

Edited by Herbiewalker
7 hours ago, Herbiewalker said:

Yeah I dropped from around 40-50MB to 6-10MB......
I am on Spectrum as well. Pointed to PIA Texas servers tho.....

Funny I have been experiencing the same over the last few days. With Sab running through my VPN with PIA i was getting 12MB/s where usually i would get around 60. was racking my brain as what it could be but maybe its just PIA as when i turn the VPN off it shoots back up

1 hour ago, enigma27 said:

Funny I have been experiencing the same over the last few days. With Sab running through my VPN with PIA i was getting 12MB/s where usually i would get around 60. was racking my brain as what it could be but maybe its just PIA as when i turn the VPN off it shoots back up

Oh.  Good to know.  I have a 400 Mbps connection and used to get a solid 50 MB/s download speed on PIA overnight.  Now, lucky to get half that.

3 hours ago, enigma27 said:

although I must say there is definitely something up with unraid and pass through speed.

Im on BT 1gig fibre and through my windows PC and running firefox in a docker I can max out the line easy.. trying to use download something with SAB without a VPN at all and i can only max the line to 60%

SIO just put out a new video about testing speeds which I haven't had a chance to watch but looks interesting.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, takkkkkkk said:

What am I risking if I turn off VPN :)?

If you are using a secure (SSL) connection to a newsgroup provider that you have an account, very little to be gained by using a vpn with usenet. Your ISP will see the traffic's true destination, but not the content. Totally different than torrents.

3 hours ago, jonathanm said:

If you are using a secure (SSL) connection to a newsgroup provider that you have an account, very little to be gained by using a vpn with usenet. Your ISP will see the traffic's true destination, but not the content. Totally different than torrents.

whilst 100% true, there is a case to be had if you dont trust your usenet provider, as they MAY be logging your activity which COULD be handed to the authorities, if this keeps you up at night worrying, or you have a tendency to wear tin foil on your head, then a vpn is a good solution to this issue - assuming your vpn provider doesnt log, maybe a second vpn is required \s 🙂

Edited by binhex
33 minutes ago, binhex said:

whilst 100% true, there is a case to be had if you dont trust your usenet provider, as they MAY be logging your activity which COULD be handed to the authorities, if this keeps you up at night worrying, or you have a tendency to wear tin foil on your head, then a vpn is a good solution to this issue - assuming your vpn provider doesnt log, maybe a second vpn is required \s 🙂

If your payment trail to the usenet provider isn't 100% anonymous, you are exposed anyway.

Long story short, if you pay your usenet provider with a credit card, don't bother using a VPN to connect to them.

Or, I guess if there is such a thing as a free usenet provider that works, a VPN could be helpful. I've never run across anyone willing to give away access to their usenet server farm for free.