[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

9 hours ago, Ryonez said:

Right after 5 hours of trying to sorts this out on my own, I give up.

Basically every time I try to enable VPN in the docker, I loss access to the web UI's. After 5 hours, it's starting to get frustrating.

My router is 10.1.1.1
I set the LAN_NETWORK as "10.1.1.0/24" (I have tried "10.1.1.1/24" out of desperation though). No luck.

I've looked at the logs, nothing super jumps out, though there's a CA error
I've attached a partial log below, please save me from tearing my hair out.

supervisord-partial.log

not being funny but its pretty obvious what the issue is, taken straight from your log:-

Options error: --ca fails with 'ca.rsa.2048.crt': No such file or directory (errno=2)
2018-01-27 19:47:51,857 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Options error: --crl-verify fails with 'crl.rsa.2048.pem': No such file or directory (errno=2)

you need to make sure you not only download the ovpn file from your vpn provider but also the certificates too (filenames referenced in the ovpn file), you can see the files your missing from the above.

7 hours ago, jonathanm said:

That generally means the VPN is not negotiating a connection. The web UI won't run unless the VPN is correctly configured, so you can't accidentally think you are protected when you are not. Focus on your VPN config files and credentials. You seem to be missing some required VPN files. The log piece you posted says which ones near the bottom.

I was not aware that this was the case. Thank you.

5 hours ago, binhex said:

not being funny but its pretty obvious what the issue is, taken straight from your log:-

Options error: --ca fails with 'ca.rsa.2048.crt': No such file or directory (errno=2)
2018-01-27 19:47:51,857 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Options error: --crl-verify fails with 'crl.rsa.2048.pem': No such file or directory (errno=2)

you need to make sure you not only download the ovpn file from your vpn provider but also the certificates too (filenames referenced in the ovpn file), you can see the files your missing from the above.

This is the first time I've set something this complex up with VPNs. And for me this is not obvious. I had noted with my post that there were CA errors. However my focus was on getting local access restored. I'm a fix one problem at a time person, and nowhere on your github front page was it mentioned that if you're setup for VPN and it's not working, that you lose LAN access. I was even trying to search this thread, was only turning up with IP and netmask stuff. And seeing the IPtables being set... I went of on my own little adventure >.<

I found the files I was after in the zip from PIA, so I'll fix that up after the current move operation is complete.

Thank you very much, I'll let you know if I get it up.

Alright, it's up and going now, thank you.

Now, there are a few weird double ups in the logs, but this caught my eye:

2018-01-28 12:22:24,128 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] PIA endpoint 'no.privateinternetaccess.com' doesn't support port forwarding, DL/UL speeds will be slow
[info] Please consider switching to an endpoint that does support port forwarding, shown below:-
[info] ca-vancouver.privateinternetaccess.com (CA Vancouver)
[info] ca-toronto.privateinternetaccess.com (CA Toronto)
[info] ca.privateinternetaccess.com (CA Montreal)
[info] nl.privateinternetaccess.com (Netherlands)
[info] swiss.privateinternetaccess.com (Switzerland)
[info] sweden.privateinternetaccess.com (Sweden)
[info] france.privateinternetaccess.com (France)
[info] ro.privateinternetaccess.com (Romania)
[info] israel.privateinternetaccess.com (Israel)

2018-01-28 12:22:24,128 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] PIA endpoint 'no.privateinternetaccess.com' doesn't support port forwarding, DL/UL speeds will be slow
[info] Please consider switching to an endpoint that does support port forwarding, shown below:-
[info] ca-vancouver.privateinternetaccess.com (CA Vancouver)
[info] ca-toronto.privateinternetaccess.com (CA Toronto)
[info] ca.privateinternetaccess.com (CA Montreal)
[info] nl.privateinternetaccess.com (Netherlands)
[info] swiss.privateinternetaccess.com (Switzerland)
[info] sweden.privateinternetaccess.com (Sweden)
[info] france.privateinternetaccess.com (France)
[info] ro.privateinternetaccess.com (Romania)

Would there be any issues switching in to Sweden? I realize the default is the Netherlands.
If there would be no issue, how might I change it please?

This is the first time I've set something this complex up with VPNs. And for me this is not obvious. I had noted with my post that there were CA errors. However my focus was on getting local access restored. I'm a fix one problem at a time person, and nowhere on your github front page was it mentioned that if you're setup for VPN and it's not working, that you lose LAN access. I was even trying to search this thread, was only turning up with IP and netmask stuff. And seeing the IPtables being set... I went of on my own little adventure >.

Ok fair enough, I admit I do need to enhance the github readme, it's on my to do, problem is it's a very long list and keeps on growing it sounds like you have it sorted now and Jonathan has you on the right track.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Delete the current .ovpn file and extract the one you want to use in its place.

Worked perfectly, thank you.

3 hours ago, binhex said:

Ok fair enough, I admit I do need to enhance the github readme, it's on my to do, problem is it's a very long list and keeps on growing emoji41.png it sounds like you have it sorted now and Jonathan has you on the right track.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Indeed, it's very complex. But thankfully it's all going now. All I have to do is to get used to some things, such as automove being web based. Which I think means it'll only shift completed torrents when I have the particular page open. If it's closed, it screws up. I think. Still learning.

I might look at flood later, but have discounted it for now as there's only http access. I prefere https myself, and I'm liking rutorrent, so I removed the 9080 port so I can only access it via https.
Also got to figure out what exactly Privoxy is and if it's useful for me. The nice thing is, you givens us options, which we can toggle as we wish. 

Thank you for your work!

Okay, something that may be useful to others.
I removed the admin account from rutorrent, and made my own account. It does not however delete the config and setting files for it, and it seems to have been overriding my user settings. I spotted this with automove. I'll been testing to see if removing the files fixes it later.

With you being able to add users, is there a way to set global settings? And see who adds what?

5 hours ago, MyKroFt said:

container has been running fine - got a notification 10 min ago of a new version - did a update - and now the web ui will not load......

what got changed that broke something?

Myk

supervisor.log

that is a successful start shown in that log file, i cant see anything wrong, perhaps try clearing cache on your browser?, you sure your connecting to the right ip and port?.

Hey, I'm having troubles initiating the tun device

I've skimmed through my supervisor.log and the only "error" or problem is with the following step:

2018-01-29 09:57:23, 998 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to load tun module...

2018-01-29 09:57:23, 999 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/tun.ko: No such file or directory

2018-01-29 09:57:23, 999 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[crit] Unable to load tun module, cannot continue

As you can see, it fails finding the tun.ko module. When checking manually, there is no /lib/modules nor tun.ko module folder within the container.

Any ideas?

Edited by Elevator
1 hour ago, Elevator said:

Hey, I'm having troubles initiating the tun device

I've skimmed through my supervisor.log and the only "error" or problem is with the following step:

2018-01-29 09:57:23, 998 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to load tun module...

2018-01-29 09:57:23, 999 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/tun.ko: No such file or directory

2018-01-29 09:57:23, 999 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[crit] Unable to load tun module, cannot continue

As you can see, it fails finding the tun.ko module. When checking manually, there is no /lib/modules nor tun.ko module folder within the container.

Any ideas?

what host os are you running?, im assuming you aren't using unraid right?

3 hours ago, Elevator said:

Yes you are correct. I'm running ubuntu server 16.04 LTS.

Also, I can run the arch-delugevpn container just fine (if that matters at all).

can you please try the new image just built and let me know how you get on.

8 hours ago, binhex said:

that is a successful start shown in that log file, i cant see anything wrong, perhaps try clearing cache on your browser?, you sure your connecting to the right ip and port?.

I cleared browser cache, cleared out everything in rtorrent session  - i still get timeouts trying to connect to web ui.....

o even tried firefox on laptop and tablet - get the same thing

Edited by MyKroFt
15 hours ago, binhex said:

ok, I turned off VPN and web ui shows up - what has changed in the last 2 versions in the last couple of days.

It has been working fine for several months and 2 days ago update, and updated again today and when VPN enabled no web ui......?

myk

8 hours ago, MyKroFt said:

ok, I turned off VPN and web ui shows up - what has changed in the last 2 versions in the last couple of days.

It has been working fine for several months and 2 days ago update, and updated again today and when VPN enabled no web ui......?

myk

ok lets turn up the logging and see if we can spot anything, please do the following:-

2018-01-30 17:08:56,373 DEBG 'rtorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to start rTorrent...

2018-01-30 17:08:56,476 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] rtorrent started, setting up rutorrent...
[info] Setting PHP timezone to Europe/Copenhagen...

2018-01-30 17:08:56,483 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] nginx cert files already exists, skipping copy

2018-01-30 17:08:56,484 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] nginx security file already exists, skipping copy
[info] nginx config file already exists, skipping copy

2018-01-30 17:08:56,485 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] rutorrent conf folder already exists, skipping copy

2018-01-30 17:08:56,494 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] running rsync to copy rutorrent user plugins to the plugins folder inside the container...

2018-01-30 17:08:56,496 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
sending incremental file list

2018-01-30 17:08:56,502 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
README.txt

2018-01-30 17:08:56,503 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
theme/themes/README.txt

2018-01-30 17:08:56,503 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:

sent 2.53K bytes received 83 bytes 5.22K bytes/sec
total size is 1.07M speedup is 408.51

2018-01-30 17:08:56,504 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] rutorrent share folder already exists, skipping copy

2018-01-30 17:08:56,505 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] starting php-fpm...

2018-01-30 17:08:56,523 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stderr output:
[NOTICE] [pool www] 'user' directive is ignored when FPM is not running as root
[NOTICE] [pool www] 'group' directive is ignored when FPM is not running as root

2018-01-30 17:08:56,526 DEBG 'rutorrent-script' stdout output:
[info] starting nginx...

"starting nginx" keeps going on forever it seems.. 35 minutes as of writing this, does it usually take this long?

The gui has always felt unstable for me, sometimes not properly deleting data when I click remove and delete data. And sometimes newly added torrents don't get assigned their added date&time so they cant be auto-deleted according to ratio-rules. What to do?

I also often see this in the log: Bad response from server: (0 [error,list]), similar to this: https://github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/issues/22
But this is when I use it in muximux.

Edited by JohanSF
16 hours ago, binhex said:

ok lets turn up the logging and see if we can spot anything, please do the following:-

I am having the same issue as a myk. Everything was working until I did the update. My VPN info is correct the logs show that rutorrent is loading but the Webpage goes to page can not be displayed when the VPN is active and will display when the VPN is off.

supervisord.log

Hi hope you can help I'm currently using your awesome delugevpn docker container but I thought I'd try out rutorrent at the same time. I tried to add some torrents I am already seeding on my deluge docker to rtorrent. However when I try to add the torrents and re-check them they go queued. I can download to the home directory so I'm guessing this is a permission issue but I chmod 777'd the entire deluge directory. So I don't know why rtorrent would have a problem hash checking the files. Deluge still has write access, i used the same container variable for the path on my rtorrent docker as deluge any ideas?

Edit: I'm running this on arch instead of unraid testing it out before I put it on my main server. I also pulled down the most recent commit you made a few hours ago now and it dosen't fix the issue

Edit: I reworded my problem a bit hope it makes sense now

Edited by iTzturrtlex
12 hours ago, zonedguy said:

I am having the same issue as myk and RedCloud. unRAID 6.4, no settings changed, docker auto-updated and the webui now fails to load unless I disable PIA. rTorrent however is clearly operational as my seeded torrents are confirmed as seeding and I can see network activity tied to the VPN. If I restart the container, on only the first time I attempt to load the webui, will the webui load with a timeout error: Bad response from server: (500 [error,getplugins])

I am using the stock container with stock settings, no unusual plugins or unexpected configurations.

My supervisord.log with debug active is also attached. Would love some insight on how to resolve this issue.

supervisord.log

ok took me a bit of hunting around but eventually i spotted the problem, corrected and image rebuilt, please give it a pull down.

fyi - it was only affecting external access to rtorrent/rutorrent, internally it was accessible.

Edited by binhex
50 minutes ago, binhex said:

ok took me a bit of hunting around but eventually i spotted the problem, corrected and image rebuilt, please give it a pull down.

fyi - it was only affecting external access to rtorrent/rutorrent, internally it was accessible.

It is working for me now.

Do you build from source or only from the Arch repo's?  The reason I ask is that there was a recent patch to the rutorrent master that fixes a really long standing and annoying bug with Chrome, I would love to see it added to your image.  RE: https://github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/commit/06efba34a5f48c943c30265a787fae655422311e

Alternately, since rutorrent installation is, quite literally, just a 1mb tar.gz dump,  it might be pretty cool if we could simply drop the desired build file into a directory under /config and have it installed by the script every time the container starts... somewhat how your doing plugins.

• binhex locked this topic