[Support] binhex - rTorrentVPN

2501 posts in this topic Last Reply

so Next-Gen are good and safe now?
Safe? That's impossible to say but speeds are good and it looks stable

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, binhex said:

Safe? That's impossible to say but speeds are good and it looks stable

wasnt there a major vulnerability in something that the nextgen were implementing?

22 minutes ago, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

wasnt there a major vulnerability in something that the nextgen were implementing?

news to me, got a link?

Posted (edited)

Hey - decided to give this container another go as I got sick of my slow speeds on your DelugeVPN option. It's either PIA related, or something I'm doing as everyone else isn't having slow speeds... I seem to have this sorted now on rTorrentVPN, & have a quick question. The below image is my ratio group settings... I'm looking for torrents to stop & have the data removed when the ratio hits 1.0-1.1, would this suggest it's accurate? I've stuck in a test download and the "UL target" is usually double the torrent size, no matter what the ratios are set to.

image.png.0fb5b63400bc93de46e02feac9ff62e9.png

Strike that - done another couple of tests, and they seem to all be deleting themselves within the 1.0-1.1 ratio, no matter what shows in the 'UL Target' or 'UL Remaining'. Another wee thing, though, I just want to double check, but would amending the '#throttle.global_up.max_rate.set_kb = 0' to something like '350' here:

image.png.9780dfee3986b52ebdbe347779e3f673.png

change this value:

image.png.104b72f14d5f4c9f3eb6dadb38cbe36b.png

Seems straight forward enough, but just making sure before I edit anything, as I have been known to "misunderstand" wordings before haha.

Edited by xxDeadbolt

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, binhex said:

news to me, got a link?

no luck finding where saw, best guess is misreading/misremembering [the following wrong premises/logical conclusion] 1) nextgen uses (only) wireguard, 2) wireguard prone to hacks (instead of requiring hacks to work), thus 3) nextgen prone to hacks

Edited by Cull2ArcaHeresy
clarify

8 minutes ago, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

nextgen uses (only) wireguard

this is not true of course (you know that right?), as you can see from my recent announcement.

10 minutes ago, binhex said:

this is not true of course (you know that right?), as you can see from my recent announcement.

yea, just best wrong premises/logical conclusion could figure out (edited post should be more clear)

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

yea, just best wrong premises/logical conclusion could figure out (edited post should be more clear)

fair enough!, to be clear im not saying its 100% secure, i have secured my end via iptables (as per normal), whether PIA has secured their end i cant comment, you can but hope!, i have no reason so far to distrust pia (yes im aware of the kape takeover).

Edited by binhex

I seem to be the only one having trouble with the next gen servers. For whatever reason, whenever I connect to them, rTorrent takes exceeding long to finish start up torrent checks (1 to 2 hours, compared with like 5 minutes, for the current gen ones), and then never really fully connects. Most of my torrents end up with timeout or UDP errors, and the script keeps reassigning the port every 15 minutes. Sometimes the same port, other times, it will get a different port, and the two will trade off being assigned. I've attached my log file, let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

supervisord.log

8 hours ago, Zainy521 said:

I seem to be the only one having trouble with the next gen servers. For whatever reason, whenever I connect to them, rTorrent takes exceeding long to finish start up torrent checks (1 to 2 hours, compared with like 5 minutes, for the current gen ones), and then never really fully connects. Most of my torrents end up with timeout or UDP errors, and the script keeps reassigning the port every 15 minutes. Sometimes the same port, other times, it will get a different port, and the two will trade off being assigned. I've attached my log file, let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

supervisord.log 782.11 kB · 2 downloads

i need the full log, you are trimming way too much, please do the following:-

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

supervisord.log

I need help, it seems like some have working clients. mine still isn't working after all the PIA API changes. my log is attached. What do I need to do to make this work? Thanks!

20 minutes ago, slyk said:

supervisord.log 493.57 kB · 1 download

I need help, it seems like some have working clients. mine still isn't working after all the PIA API changes. my log is attached. What do I need to do to make this work? Thanks!

I'm certainly no expert at reading these logs, but it doesn't look like you're using the next gen OVPN files. 

click 'View OpenVPN Configurations' on this page, then 'OpenVPN Configuration Files (Recommended Default)'. You can then drop in your end point & the 2 certificate files to your openvpn folder in the rTorrent config.

18 minutes ago, xxDeadbolt said:

I'm certainly no expert at reading these logs, but it doesn't look like you're using the next gen OVPN files. 

click 'View OpenVPN Configurations' on this page, then 'OpenVPN Configuration Files (Recommended Default)'. You can then drop in your end point & the 2 certificate files to your openvpn folder in the rTorrent config.

Thanks that worked. I got the next-gen OVPN files from here:image.png.88be28bdbf20898dbea400e38d16d08a.png

However, this doesnt have CA-Vancouver on the list so I used  CA-Toronto. but in the rtorrent logs it says CA-vacouver is port forward compatible. is there anyway I can use CA-Vancouver instead?

I'm not sure, tbh. I *think* it's only the endpoints which are in that folder, but I may be wrong.

On 10/1/2020 at 4:01 PM, binhex said:

fair enough!, to be clear im not saying its 100% secure, i have secured my end via iptables (as per normal), whether PIA has secured their end i cant comment, you can but hope!, i have no reason so far to distrust pia (yes im aware of the kape takeover).

No comments about security, but it's certainly fast, and so far it has been stable. Thanks @binhex, sending another beer your way.

By the way, did the autodl-rssi + recent version of php issue got sorted?

Kind regards,

4 hours ago, xxDeadbolt said:

I'm not sure, tbh. I *think* it's only the endpoints which are in that folder, but I may be wrong.

Thanks I'm in California. have there been updates to PIA US servers now supporting port forwarding?

Not entirely sure, but on their page, here, they say 

At the moment, all of our non US Servers offer port-forwarding functionality and you can find a list of all of the servers we offer, here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/

which would suggest to me they don't (the page they link to doesn't mention port forwarding)... however, happy to be corrected if someone else knows different.

what next-gen servers are yall having luck with?
I'm using the Netherlands server, nl-netherlsnds I think it is, double check that won't ya

15 hours ago, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

what next-gen servers are yall having luck with?

I'm using Berlin. Seems to be the best option for me, along with Frankfurt.

On 10/1/2020 at 8:20 PM, Zainy521 said:

supervisord.log 782.11 kB · 3 downloads

I managed to fix my issue with the next gen servers. It appears that the PIA DNS servers are not working correctly with next gen. Switched to Cloudflare only, and it works fine.

Anyone else seeing frequent log entries having different ports assigned? Mine is doing this every 15/20mins or so.

2 hours ago, xxDeadbolt said:

Anyone else seeing frequent log entries having different ports assigned? Mine is doing this every 15/20mins or so.

i think i have identified the cause of this and the fix will be rolled up in the next BIG release.